• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord Registers 1100 players on First Day of Open Beta (Steam)

Wonder how the devs are feeling after that beta reception.
i think there was drama coming from the art director or something if I remember correclty...this is going to be seen as another victory for the anti-woke crowd. so, I wonder if inside the studio is either:

a) remorse/introspection for trying to push that shit
b) this was a boycott for those "bigots"
c) Completely oblivious as to why there is so much apathy for the game

I think Sony and the leadership at the studio must be in panic mode. Releasing this game at $40 only to be forced to make it free-to-play a few months later is not a good look, and you run the risk of pissing off people who bought it on day one. If you release it as is, you're going to have a dead game with matchmaking problems within weeks

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why has this game got such a defence force?

It’s generic, lame, tepid garbage that was out of date ten years ago.

Will be a colossal flop.

Nothing wrong with people wanting a game to be good but sadly this isnt.

It's getting some defence for it being one of Sonys big games this year.

If it was made by a third party publisher it would be a different story. Ita a high profile Sony game and one of their big gaas games.

Sucks that it's mediocre but that's the way it is.

Killjoy-NL

If it was made by a third party publisher it would be a different story. Ita a high profile Sony game and one of their big gaas games.

Sucks that it's mediocre but that's the way it is.
Took a while for you to be able to shit on a Sony game, huh?

The game has some positives, like great gunplay, great performance, everything works as it should.

The only real cons are the character designs, standard map designs and missing X-factor.

Progression, the crew-system and longterm support and the story-shizzle are uncertain.

I hear the best thing about this game is the game modes with rounds where you carry over and stack passive abilities.
I didn't get to that part of the demo.

Nobody considers this one of Sony's"big games" this year. Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade and Astrobot say hi.

c) Completely oblivious as to why there is so much apathy for the game

People who produce stuff like this have tunnel-vision. They don't see anything beyond their pronouns.

People who produce stuff like this have tunnel-vision. They don't see anything beyond their pronouns.
This is a serious case in the industry. Remember how Bioware was prohibited to talk about Destiny when they were making Anthem? Then they went and made a game full of the same pitfalls Destiny had, plus new ones of their own. Sony not making this F2P will be ultimately what kills it in the first place, no matter how much they improve this game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Making games with a high chance of failure (the definition of wasting millions) is dumb enough.

You don't make 10 GaaS in case one or two succeed. You study thoroughly case by case, check the competition, learn your potential audience tastes and then act accordingly.

MLB, GT7 and Helldivers 2 are aimed at difference audiences/genres, there's space for them. However, if they wanted to make another driving or sports GaaS, that should be thought more carefully.

A game like Concord or Fairgames need to be very special to survive in the current market.
I think it's even more stupid when they have famous old titles that they could use for some gaas experiment between socom, warhawk, killzone mp etc.

But they want a new brand that nobody give a fuck about where they have to waste even more money to create everything from scratch instead of using something that already exist to an extent.

Like sony is so dumb that they think that concord would have a bigger impact than releasing a remaster of kz2 multyplayer and adapt that one to a gaas model.

Nah, it's better to make fucking concord and see it flop like a submarine controlled via joypad...

Why the fuck they canned factions 2 but not this thing?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NaughtyDog really fucked up. Factions 2 would could have been the Sony GAAS game to play. Instead we get all this.
No matter how awesome and gritty Factions 2 would be, there would be limited mass appeal to a vicious shooter like that.

Mass appeal to generate max profits are safer settings with hero based characters. Kind of like getting an R rated movie is typically a movie making no-no. Casting a wide net requires dumbing it down to PG13.

Very real possibility that Concord out earns both Stellar Blade and Astrobot.

This will be F2P once sales fall under a certain rate.

Concord is already a very expensive game. Studio purchase + development costs. It should sell like Helldivers to be more profitable than the other mentioned games, which involved a smaller investment.

No matter how awesome and gritty Factions 2 would be, there would be limited mass appeal to a vicious shooter like that.

Agree, BUT this would find an audience already willing to try it and it would be a more unique game than Concord.

Why the fuck they canned factions 2 but not this thing?

My own theory: Bungie fucked up Naughty Dog out of selfishness and envy. Very dumb of Sony to have an interested party making decisions on someone else's work.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Very real possibility that Concord out earns both Stellar Blade and Astrobot.
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not a chance in hell

No one shoveling dirt on Concord saw Valorant coming. They didn't see RS Seige coming. They don't realize how popular CSGO is today. They think Overwatch is dead despite being one of the most popular games on earth today. They don't even think about Team Fortress 2 which averages 150k on Steam.

The people shoveling dirt on Concord think Live Service is a "crap shoot" until it's a game they don't expect to do well.

Never side with the internet James Sawyer Ford. They're always wrong. Always.

Here's what going to happen. Concord will struggle at $40 dollars. ThE iNtErNeT will do their predictable victory parade despite not understanding GAAS. It'll go F2P, then 3 years later they'll Tweet out about the new Freegunner and mode coming with their Season 11 update. It will generate more money than Stellar Blade and Astro Bot combined. It's just not going to happen right away.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Let's be honest.

Stellar Blade sold like shit as well. What was it? 1M copies?
I wouldn’t say it sold like shit, especially for a new IP. I wouldn’t say it solely either though. I think many of us are either waiting for the PC port or for it to inevitably release on PS+.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I wouldn’t say it sold like shit, especially for a new IP. I wouldn’t say it solely either though. I think many of us are either waiting for the PC port or for it to inevitably release on PS+.
1M isn't much though.
It's not like singleplayer games with a hot chick is some magical answer to whatever the issue is for some.

Then again, maybe a game like Stellar Blade only selling 1M copies is part of the issue people have with companies focussing more on Gaas.

Last edited:
1M isn't much though.
It's not like singleplayer games with a hot chick is some magical answer to whatever the issue is for some.

Then again, maybe a game like Stellar Blade only selling 1M copies is part of the issue people have with companies focussing more on Gaas.
It depends on the budget, 1 million copies might have been enough to turn a profit for stellar blade.

Good. The game looks like shit and they made the mistake of launching the beta around The First Descendant.

I was thinking of trying the beta but TFD has all my attention and I couldn't be bothered to try this lame Overwatch clone with butt ugly characters.

The game will probably end up being the new Suicide Squad. I could understand if the game had a fresh take on multiplayer and the characters looked cool but they look like ass and they are charging $40 when their competitors are free. Sony needs a wake up call if they think this mid trash is going to make traction.

Last edited:

wipeout364

No one shoveling dirt on Concord saw Valorant coming. They didn't see RS Seige coming. They don't realize how popular CSGO is today. They think Overwatch is dead despite being one of the most popular games on earth today. They don't even think about Team Fortress 2 which averages 150k on Steam.

The people shoveling dirt on Concord think Live Service is a "crap shoot" until it's a game they don't expect to do well.

Never side with the internet James Sawyer Ford. They're always wrong. Always.

Here's what going to happen. Concord will struggle at $40 dollars. ThE iNtErNeT will do their predictable victory parade despite not understanding GAAS. It'll go F2P, then 3 years later they'll Tweet out about the new Freegunner and mode coming with their Season 11 update. It will generate more money than Stellar Blade and Astro Bot combined. It's just not going to happen right away.
I don't think you are right about Valorant, people were expecting big things based on League of legends. No one is truly being honest when they say Overwatch is dead, dead in a competitive scene maybe. Siege launched at a very different time and offered something that was was not really out there, and to be honest still has not been replicated with it's destructibility and vertical play. I have not played Concord but what I've watched honestly looks pretty generic other than the higher TTK and the FPS market is a different beast then when all those other games you mentioned launched, much more competitive.

Last edited:
Holy shit, it has 33 players right now on steam. This has to be dead on arrival lol. Nice woke characters you got there blue haired devs, hope it was worth it.
I think the beta is over. The game is still DOA but I don’t think 33 players right now is any indication :messenger_grinning_sweat:

PeteBull

Gold Member

If anyone fancies a cheap laugh, these are the characters. Imagine thinking people will buy skins for these 😂😂

Looks like they tried to make those characters look as diverce as possible, the thing is- normal ppl dont give a damn about their character being diverse, they are sane after all :p

Embearded

Game looks boring and 15 years late to the party. Hero shooters are lame and there are free to play options out there, why should we pay 40€ for this is beyond me.
One of the worst calls from Sony to greenlight this game.
They could have donated the money to charities and at least it would improve their image.

Game looks boring and 15 years late to the party. Hero shooters are lame and there are free to play options out there, why should we pay 40€ for this is beyond me.
One of the worst calls from Sony to greenlight this game.
They could have donated the money to charities and at least it would improve their image.
I'm more impressed no one at Sony said anything about this mess. We barely saw anything about it and they already releasing it. This was doomed to fail due to everyone's incompetence in not seeing there are better alternatives for less that are more appealing in every way.

The game is not bad per se but it's irrelevant in the current gaming landscape. I'll be impressed if it sells 300k copies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think you are right about Valorant, people were expecting big things based on League of legends.
Are people expecting big things from 2KXO because of League of Legends and Valorant? Valorants reception wasn't as cold as Concord, but in no way were people predicting the success it ultimately turned into.

The blob that talks about these games is so consistently off that I view them as little Michael Pachter clones.

No one is truly being honest when they say Overwatch is dead, dead in a competitive scene maybe. Siege launched at a very different time and offered something that was was not really out there, and to be honest still has not been replicated with it's destructibility and vertical play.
My point in bringing up those five games is that they all have vibrant player bases in 2024, which means there's a sizeable audience who plays these kinds of games. The 5v5 framework is one of the biggest game types on earth.

I have not played Concord but what I've watched honestly looks pretty generic other than the higher TTK and the FPS market is a different beast then when all those other games you mentioned launched, much more competitive.
People kicked the tires on Concord by looking at a few videos. Maybe they played it for a few hours.

PlayStation kicked the tires on Concord in a much more thorough, exhaustive way.

I'll go with PlayStation over the little Michael Pachter clones.

After this beta, sony needs to delay this indefinitely. Transition it to f2p, focus on balance, implement basic ass features like deadzone settings, fov slider, aim acceleration/aim curve settings etc. If they still launching this next month at 40 then

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
I think the game is cooked either way. They are just sending it out there to die.

Anyway, Sony needs to fail hard with this game so that they can learn how not to fuck up again. I knew this game would be ass last year when they chose to reveal it with a CG trailer that showed nothing.

I don't know why Sony are chasing shitty GAAS trends with this game. Helldivers 2 worked because it was a cool and unique game despite being GAAS. This game has nothing cool or original about it. The characters are the very definition of anti-cool and the gameplay has been done to death in numerous other games that are free to play including Sony's own Destiny 2. What made them give the green light to this project and why did no one at Sony take a step back to see what an impending disaster this game was going to be? They went quiet for years on what they were working on only to release this garbage to the world lol.

Let it flop. Hopefully it teaches them a lesson about chasing stupid trends instead of focusing on what they're good at. They should get back to releasing blockbuster AAA games like Ghost of Tsushima 2 that their core fanbase actually care about and stop trying to be like Activision and Epic with this shitty GAAS gold rush.

Last edited:
This theory is dumb

The truth is ND had to make a decision on where to put resources and making Factions great would have required too much focus from the studio that they would rather pour into SP development

The theory is based on the FACT that Sony asked Bungie to give an assessment on someone else's project and Bungie said "can it"

Why they did that, we don't know. It was a dumb move by Sony either way.

vivftp

The theory is based on the FACT that Sony asked Bungie to give an assessment on someone else's project and Bungie said "can it"

That is not how any of this worked. Bungie was not judge jury and executioner of the other live service projects, they consulted and provided their expertise and feedback.

Naughty Dog made the call based on the choices of either devoting all their studio resources to supporting TLOU Online or continuing to be able to produce AAA single player games.

I think the game is cooked either way. They are just sending it out there to die.

Anyway, Sony needs to fail hard with this game so that they can learn how not to fuck up again. I knew this game would be ass last year when they chose to reveal it with a CG trailer that showed nothing.

I don't know why Sony are chasing shitty GAAS trends with this game. Helldivers 2 worked because it was a cool and unique game despite being GAAS. This game has nothing cool or original about it. The characters are the very definition of anti-cool and the gameplay has been done to death in numerous other games that are free to play including Sony's own Destiny 2. What made them give the green light to this project and why did no one at Sony take a step back to see what an impending disaster this game was going to be? They went quiet for years on what they were working on only to release this garbage to the world lol.

Let it flop. Hopefully it teaches them a lesson about chasing stupid trends instead of focusing on what they're good at. They should get back to releasing blockbuster AAA games like Ghost of Tsushima 2 that their core fanbase actually care about and stop trying to be like Activision and Epic with this shitty GAAS gold rush.

This "Sony should stay in their lane" nonsense continues to boggle my mind. This is not an either or situation and never has been.

Bungie never said to can anything dude

They may have given recommendations for what they needed to add to give it longevity, and ND themselves agreed and decided to can it and focus on SP

Last edited:

yurinka

The fact is that Bungie didn't have assessment or decisions of games from other studios.

Sony created a PS Live Services Center of Excellence that included the GaaS experts from PS Studios management, PS Studios teams, SIE Publishing and Bungie (not only Bungie) to share knowledge, tech, data, etc. and make best practices on the GaaS specific areas and review these particular GaaS areas (not the games themselves) of all SIE GaaS games, which include the Bungie and the PS Studios ones.

With that feeback and info of the Live Services then the dev teams and their publishing branch decide what to do with each game. Meaning, Bungie decides what to do with each Bungie game. And PS Studios management and the lead dev studio of each game decides what to do with each PS Studios game.

Well, until recently because now Bungie is also under Hermen.

Top Bottom