• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord sold an estimated 25,000 units (10,000 on Steam, 15,000 on PS5)

This is a clear signal to the PS leads that their direction with GaaS is a lost cause.

PS built up a base of users who primarily enjoy SP and MP Co-Op games. So focussing only on MP PvP exclusive games for their big GaaS push represents a clear unforced error, as they've intentionally cut themselves off from the core playerbase that made their platform successful.

Here's to hoping the right lessons are learned from this and they course correct. If it were me, I'd start with Marathon by delaying it and completely changing the game to a SP and Co-op focussed PvE game with the PvP MP extraction part as a mode for those interested; i.e. so more similar to Destiny. This was freaking obvious given Bungie's experience with their last game. They should have made Marathon similar to Destiny but by starting from scratch both narratively and gameplay-wise, they could have incorporated all the decades of lessons learns from the Destiny franchise into Marathon. Why Bungie decided to go full PvP when that was the worst part of Destiny is beyond me.

SHA

Quite incredible how much money these companies are just willing to burn

Anthem
Avengers
Hyenas
Forspoken
Saints Row
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Redfall
Gollum
Immortals of Aveum
Skull and Bones
Suicide Squad
Concord
Dustborn
Payday 3
Flintlock

flop after flop
When you turn cod or dishonored into something new, you get more accurate criticisms, this is normal, there's nothing new about these games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

sachos

If Fairgame$ get this kind of results we can hope Sony will end their GaaS adventure, right? right?

chris rock adult humor GIF
Numbers don’t lie

Hookshot

Gold Member
Where are those blue haired now? Go buy your game and play it.
It is weird how no one has rallied around this to boost it's numbers. I guess its the cost, a big streamer could have doubled the numbers as a joke but not when it's $40 bucks

It is weird how no one has rallied around this to boost it's numbers. I guess its the cost, a big streamer could have doubled the numbers as a joke but not when it's $40 bucks
They had some big time streamers do sponsored streams. Viewership was ok-ish, but immediately plummeted once they logged off the game to play a game they actually wanted to play.
Comments during the stream from chat was mostly making fun of the game from the few that I saw.

Perhaps, the only salvation for this is going mobile? Not sure how feasible it is but otherwise not even going f2p will save it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's weird how they only unveiled it a few months before release and gave the game a bare minimum of marketing. It is like they knew.

They 'knew', yet they lead state of play with this and it was kept safe from the Bungie purge where they canceled 6 or so of the 12 live service projects, including the deep in development Factions.

Nah, the only thing they didn't know was just how bad this was gonna turn out.

Stuart360

I dont believe for a second this sold 10k copies on Steam when the player peak was not even 1k lmao
It probably is close to 10k to be honest. A rule of thuumb with Steam is 10x peak player count to get a ballpark number of a games sales, and 10x for Concod would be around 7k.
Now how many have refunded because they cant find games, thats more interesting for me.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They 'knew', yet they lead state of play with this and it was kept safe from the Bungie purge where they canceled 6 or so of the 12 live service projects, including the deep in development Factions.

Nah, the only thing they didn't know was just how bad this was gonna turn out.
Leading the state of play doesn't really mean anything.

Yes the game survived reviews (somehow) but I am positing that as the game wrapped up they started to realize they had a stinky diaper on their hands.

Currently at 1238, so doing a little Asian math here, that's 18 new players (sales?) in the last ~6 hours. Multiplying that out and we're at 72 new players per day, or about 2,000 new players per month at this rate.
Games tend to have the biggest influx of players in the release window, so I doubt it will be that high. Maybe cut that number by 80% :)
Also, any gains they have, will be negated by the number of players that throw this shit into the dumpster where it belongs.

Fbh

Gold Member
Leading the state of play doesn't really mean anything.

Yes the game survived reviews (somehow) but I am positing that as the game wrapped up they started to realize they had a stinky diaper on their hands.

I don't know why people say it didn't have any marketing.
They dedicated a good chunk of one of their rare presentations to it, they made an expensive CG trailer for it, they had a closed and open beta, they paid for sponsored streams and "influencer" coverage, they had it plastered all over PSN leading up to the reveal and personally I did see banners and standard advertising for it online.

Sure they didn't go all out as with other games and I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled down the marketing (where possible, since most of this stuff gets paid way in advance) when they saw the abysmal preorder numbers.
But I don't agree with this idea that they just sent it out to die. That's just a distraction from the simple fact they just made a game no one wanted.
I don't think this game failed because people weren't aware of it, I think it failed because (almost) everyone whos saw it just went "no thx"

Last edited:

sainraja

It's not a bad game but the devs made some poor design decisions and entered the market without offering anything "unique". It may have done good in another time so release timing was bad as well?
Hopefully the game can find some success but looks difficult.

Killjoy-NL

It's weird how they only unveiled it a few months before release and gave the game a bare minimum of marketing. It is like they knew.
They did the same with Helldivers 2.

Both are €40 for a reason. That's only 50% of the standard price for a game.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
The greater their loss the better the lesson

Edit: i wonder how many of those sales were refunded

Last edited:
Collect a check from Epic/Prime Gaming to give this turd away to people who won’t play it.

Collect a check from Microsoft to put it on Game Pass.

Just do what Remedy does.
Would Sony allow this to go on GamePass and would MS even want it even if they gave it away for free?

Top Bottom