• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord sold an estimated 25,000 units (10,000 on Steam, 15,000 on PS5)

Gambit2483

Hermen Hulst
this-is-all-your-fault-calvin-rodney.gif
. Tasteless hack.
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

The 6 modes they have are too basic to generate interest.
This is what killed it for me. A team based game with... death match and control (or whatever it's called). Ripped straight from Destiny from 2016. 2016 also had Overwatch, which actually had awesome game modes. Hell, Valorant/Counterstike bomb planting is a huge upgrade over whatever boring modes Concord has.

I gave it a genuine chance, but the game modes were boring and the characters are, by far, the most undesirable characters in any video game over my 40 years of gaming.

Last edited:

nikos

I love how they blame the lack of marketing and awareness of the game's existence for its failure. The more people saw of it, the less appealing it became.

They also mention the over-saturation of hero shooters available and go on to list only three games, one of which (Apex) doesn't really fit into the category IMO.

Deadlock is an invite only hero shooter/moba with absolutely zero advertisement. It's about to hit 150K concurrent and it increases every day, as more people gain access. If either of the above were true, this game would also be failing.

People were immediately turned off by Concord's character design, then actually wanted it to fail after some morons from the team decided to get overly defensive and eventually say some really stupid shit online.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
They also mention the over-saturation of hero shooters available and go on to list only three games, one of which (Apex) doesn't really fit into the category IMO.
Overwatch by itself is enough to saturate the market when you don't have anything novel to bring to the table. The people playing Overwatch aren't going to stop playing to play something inferior and the people not playing Overwatch aren't going to suddenly start playing something inferior so you have no people interested.

nikos

Overwatch by itself is enough to saturate the market when you don't have anything novel to bring to the table. The people playing Overwatch aren't going to stop playing to play something inferior and the people not playing Overwatch aren't going to suddenly start playing something inferior so you have no people interested.

Yup. I play Overwatch and tried the Concord beta. It didn't do anything interesting enough for me to play it instead of Overwatch, even as someone who frequently bounces between games.

Valorant managed to find an audience. Deadlock is finding an audience. A new game that's good enough could penetrate the market, it just wasn't Concord.

Killjoy-NL

Yup. I play Overwatch and tried the Concord beta. It didn't do anything interesting enough for me to play it instead of Overwatch, even as someone who frequently bounces between games.

Valorant managed to find an audience. Deadlock is finding an audience. A new game that's good enough could penetrate the market, it just wasn't Concord.
Eh, I still think gameplay-wise, Concord > OW2, it's just barebones.
Which wouldn't be a problem per se, as that's something that can be solved with time.

The character designs though are shit, as is their color palette. It's just ugly and gay af.

But with these numbers, there is no coming back.

Sony axes IP that sold like 2 or 3 million for full price such as Days Gone, which sold approx 8 million once discounted to Concord levels.
Considering its player count in the free beta and just now i'd even find this a high estimate. Its that bad.
Sony was on a roll; God of War, Spiderman, Horizon and GT all sold well. Even Returnal, which is quite a hardcore game, is a million seller. Rift Apart sold 4+ million too. They were doing good on various fronts. I get that they want GaaS but they acquired Bungie. They aren't ready yet but they could've done something Destiny PvP related instead.

Now we're looking at a first party release that manages to sell 25k, which is ofcourse an incredibly bad outlook for Sony. Then people will say, yeah but they need only one smash hit. True, but its not a good outlook if your brand releases bomb after bomb. Fairgames will 100% bomb too.
When were those games greenlighted? Before Jim Ryan arrived. He was the downfall of the Playstation brand. We are just starting to see the real result of his decisions.

But even the big games God of War sequel and Spiderman 2 were very expensive and sold less than the sequels. It's starting to crumble there. Don't worry they are going to fuck this up as the trend chasing, corporate decisions are starting to infect the big games too.

In a few years Playstation big first party games will become the fast food of gaming. During the PS3 and PS4 era I wanted to play plenty of Playstation, truely exclusive, games. Now the only game I am interested in is from their smallest, less costly Playstation team ever, almost indie, the last team still located in Japan that is still doing the same kind of games, with the same passion, many Playstation teams were doing during the PS3 era. It has been very sad to witness that downfall those last few years.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Do those numbers several more times and the launch marketing budget can still be clawed back! This is better news than I'd hoped for.

700 peak players out of 10k copies sold?

press x for doubt

or rather, how many of those copies were actual sales and not given away for free?

Z O N E

No way the Steam version sold 10,000.

The numbers don't lie and realistically I would think the game sold a maximum of probably 1000.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I think its less than that.

There's a PSN trophy for literally your first kill, that means you actually have to have started the game and played a few freaking minutes at a bare minimum right?

Only 1,2k Playstation players have it

Surely Playstation bros can shoot to kill right? What are the chances that 13k players are sitting on the game?

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Karma really for not greenlighting a Days Gone sequel, shutting down Japan and London studios and giving us a Horizon remake instead of a Bloodborne remaster.
And the rest. It's got various dlc's, spinoffs, remakes and sequels either out or planned, plus the cancelled TV show. Splatoon is two and a half years older than Horizon as a series and yet the supposed serial milkers Nintendo haven't pushed it remotely as much.

Last edited:

kevboard

There's a PSN trophy for literally your first kill, that means you actually have to have started the game and played a few freaking minutes at a bare minimum right?

Surely Playstation bros can shoot to kill right? What are the chances that 13k players are sitting on the game?

the first match is also against bots I'm pretty sure. at least it was in the beta... well either that or I got in a match with players that are so unfathomably bad that they seemed like bots.
but bot matches for the first game you play is pretty much the new standard these days. Fortnite does it, Apex does it, Halo does it, basically ALL mobile games do it (pretty sure this trend started on mobile)

so getting a kill should be RIDICULOUSLY easy.
but I'm pretty sure you have to sign up to that site to be included in their stats

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Imagine being acquired by sony without ever releasing a single game, becoming instantly rich and then proceeding to launching the biggest unapologetically shitty game infected with your ideologies because "fuck it... Im rich already .. its their problem now" .... this X gender person really is THE PROFESSOR.

I mean it's plain stupidity at this point, fine u make a subpar game but games like overwatch, valorant x defiant are all free to play
What makes u think u can charge 40 dollars for a hero shooter when better more popular with more content are available free to play

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean it's plain stupidity at this point, fine u make a subpar game but games like overwatch, valorant x defiant are all free to play
What makes u think u can charge 40 dollars for a hero shooter when better more popular with more content are available free to play
Sony's pricing department saw Helldivers 2 rake in the cash at $40, so Concord got the same price despite being 100x less popular. Sony isn't a F2P kind of game company either. How many of their games made or partnered up second party have been F2P? Probably none, or hardly any. But possibly none (esp at launch).

I'm confident their pricing managers set GAAS games at $40. But we'll see if their next new GAAS game is also $40.

Sony's pricing department saw Helldivers 2 rake in the cash at $40, so Concord got the same price despite being 100x less popular. Sony isn't a F2P kind of game company either. How many of their games made or partnered up second party have been F2P? Probably none, or hardly any. But possibly none (esp at launch).

I'm confident their pricing managers set GAAS games at $40. But we'll see if their next new GAAS game is also $40.
I mean these people testers feedbackers surely know what's happening around right better , hero shooters with more content are available f2p it's mindbofling how they think they can charge 40 just because they sold Helldivers 2 for 40

Love the cope. No marketing or not enough,

Shit had a controller made for it. Shit was presented prominently at a Sony show. Shit was planned to have animation with streaming. It's been plastered on PSN. Sony did take this seriously.

But no, this needs even more marketing and it would be a hit. Maybe if they did a Time Square banner two weeks ago with the asparagus skin, that would have made the difference.

Last edited:
Love the cope. No marketing or not enough,

Shit had a controller made for it. Shit was presented prominently at a Sony show. Shit was planned to have animation with streaming. It's been plastered on PSN. Sony did take this seriously.

But no, this needs even more marketing and it would be a hit. Maybe if they did a Time Square banner two weeks ago with the asparagus skin, that would have made the difference.
It could have the marketing budget of a new iphone and it still wouldn't sell because better hero shooters are available f2p.
Fuck if u still f2p it it still would not be enough because of other games

Cyberpunkd

Do they have enough content for F2P? As people pointed out the skins available are lame. You need ton of things to make F2P work from a content perspective.

Shubh_C63

So if we go extreme on the lower end with no benefit given to the numbers, There is a chance only 10K people bought the game on PC+PS5.
Holy shit.

Do they have enough content for F2P? As people pointed out the skins available are lame. You need ton of things to make F2P work from a content perspective.
As I said even at f2p u can't compete with valorant and overwatch maybe people like it and stick with it if they keep showering it with new content.
But whoever decided it shud be 40 and what game it was should be fired

PeteBull

Gold Member

Those are free copies given to sony dev teams to make artifical crowd, but even they find game disgusting enough to not play it for long ;P

Killjoy-NL

People in the comments are pointing out that you have to sign up on the website for it to be able to track you, though.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
PCGamer are too invested in this IP. They are getting cringe. It's like an Avengers assemble scenario.

I mean regardless of characters and stuff, I'm more surprised it cost so much money and time to get this playable. Honestly TCMs were made quicker and I am talking complete TCs.

Look at the reveal, it was sublime. It just couldn't carry the game. The art and fidelity is superb. But no Sony bro watching that expected a 5v5 paid multiplayer only game. That was an extreme pivot.

And to be honest I'm now wondering the rest of these games like Fairgame$, Contraband and Marathon are ever going to see the light of day.

Rocket League failed on its first launch as Supersonic Battle Cars so games can come back. There's enough of a competent shooter and engine underneath to make Concord fun. But it can't be a paid game in this climate, and it needs to do something different enough than the other games on the market. Then maybe re-release a rebrand and reskin for ps6. Maybe as a pack-in, redemption for early adopters. Someone mentioned it but replace the heroes completely with known Sony IP characters.

Lastly get rid of that toxic asshole, the Professor

Kupfer

To be fair, psnprofiles.com only has access to the data of players who have a account and are signed in to that website. So in the moment of writing, 1,220 users of psnprofiles.com have this trophy - right? RIGHT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom