• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord sold an estimated 25,000 units (10,000 on Steam, 15,000 on PS5)

Why would they do that? According to articles like this IGN one, the characters aren’t even one of the reasons the game failed. I’m noticing that trend amongst pretty much all of the journalists - if anything, some of them praise the characters. It’s hilarious.

That isn’t what is happening at all in the press. They’re not even criticizing the characters to begin with.

Rereading the article, you are correct. The Press isn't going that deep yet.

Gambit2483

NSaPafR.jpeg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
never seen a big budget game just get so flat out rejected by the market before
It’s honestly refreshing. The PlayStation audience has never been about these types of games. Jim Ryan and company tried to force it on us, and it put them millions in the hole. Couldn’t write a better script
sweating key and peele GIF

Fairgame$ devs seeing these sales numbers….
Is their game also some hero shooter with colourful locations and childish characters being marketed to grown adult men?

It will fail just as bad. And I can’t wait

The game has 8.5k ratings on PSN. It's surely sold more than 15k on PS5 unless we're saying over 50% of people bothered to rate the game.

Spiderman 2 for example has been rated by less than 2% of people who bought it. Helldivers 2 is somewhere between 1.5-2.5%.

Concord reviews may be a lot higher but I think saying 56% of people who bought it rated it is insane lol.

Sales are atrocious but it's probably much higher on ps5 than 15k.
The game had a free demo, the demo ratings carry over on PlayStation. It did in fact sell this little, Steam numbers point to these numbers or even less.

LRKD

10,000 is more than I think anyone expected, compared to the peak of like 700 simultaneously players. In the past 3 days it hasn't even reached 200 concurrent steam players

Mega bomba, biggest failure in Playstation history. No wonder Jim Ryan grabbed his purse and ran out of the building before this launched :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I'm happy it's a mega flop. Hopefully, this will humble Sony a bit and they'll get back to making the AAA single player games we love from them and slow down on this idiotic GAAS push. I don't even mind GAAS games but at least make original games or games based on IPs that people want to see make a return (SOCOM). I don't know the idiot that looked at Concord and thought it was worth blowing over $100 million on by buying the studio and totally funding the game. I could have easily told them the game would bomb hard just from the concept art and premise of the game alone.

Last edited:

ithilion

Banned
we can only hope this disaster will bring PlayStation to reason again. i don't want concord, astrobot, fairgame$. double down on to uncharted, ghost of tsushima, god of war(Rome next please fuck Egypt), bloodborne 2 and the likes of it. go back to greatness

Rocinante618

Neo Member
The all time high you're looking at is concurrent users. Not everybody who buys it logs in at once.
ah! I did a silly mistake, the Steam Chart numbers are users new and old! Everyday numbers probably add up to that.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That might not be a good idea.
It could completely undermine Bungie from the inside.

I would have agreed with this in 2022 but based on the last 12 months, multiple rounds of layoffs and staff being shifted to other SIE studios, they're already pretty well undermined from their own parent.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The money that went into developing this piece of crap, could have been money donated to charity, or non-profit organization or anything to make some community in need, a little better.

Last edited:
Firewalk is Bungie's team B, so they are in the same package, like the asteroid of the Deep Impact movie that split in two.

The only Destiny for both is to burn in a pyre.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Links in to the Pussification of Video Games video.

Make games that are targeted at ‘everyone’ (but really only hard left type political activists) and the actual audience for video games (hetero men) don’t buy.

The social engineering doesn’t work. There’s no mythical audience of millions waiting to jump in to gaming and spend money if only they can make a game beige and gay enough.

Men want testosterone fuelled exciting power fantasies not ‘we’re all they/thems and this is safe for everyone and the goal of the game is to stroke kittens and bake cookies’.

If Sony continue to follow Microsoft down this road (the state of Game Pass and their first party at present :messenger_weary:) then they will lose relevancy.

ToneyJ

Sony shutting down Japan Studio and buying the Concord studio, will be forever disgusting.

Last edited:
10,000 is more than I think anyone expected, compared to the peak of like 700 simultaneously players. In the past 3 days it hasn't even reached 200 concurrent steam players
There are plenty of people on Steam that just collect games and never played them. It wouldn't surprise me if 9000 of those Steam sales never even got installed.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Firewalk gets absorbed into Bungie as a new support / development wing?

Bungie's not exactly hiring, Sony recently fired hundreds of Bungie employees and moved hundreds of 'em to another studio.

The good news for Firewalk is that Sony promised three seasons of support for Concord, that should keep everyone occupied. Longtime support for a GAAS only makes sense if longtime players keep spending money on DLC, gear, costumes, etc. But this is only costing money, since the playerbase is so small and sales are awful. Sony will probably keep it alive because killing Concord after a months will be a PR disaster, but it would be the sensible thing to do. No sense in throwing good money after bad and there's no point in keeping Firewalk to create another GAAS to be released in six year's time since they have so many other studios already working on GAAS.

And like someone said here: Sony killed multiple great studios (Evolution, Japan Studio) who created great games because according to Sony they were underperforming with regards to sales and metacritic reviews. Well, the Concord sales/review disaster is many, many times worse.

Killjoy-NL

Bungie's not exactly hiring, Sony recently fired hundreds of Bungie employees and moved hundreds of 'em to another studio.

The good news for Firewalk is that Sony promised three seasons of support for Concord, that should keep everyone occupied. Longtime support for a GAAS only makes sense if longtime players keep spending money on DLC, gear, costumes, etc. But this is only costing money, since the playerbase is so small and sales are awful. Sony will probably keep it alive because killing Concord after a months will be a PR disaster, but it would be the sensible thing to do. No sense in throwing good money after bad and there's no point in keeping Firewalk to create another GAAS to be released in six year's time since they have so many other studios already working on GAAS.

And like someone said here: Sony killed multiple great studios (Evolution, Japan Studio) who created great games because according to Sony they were underperforming with regards to sales and metacritic reviews. Well, the Concord sales/review disaster is many, many times worse.
Concord being a disaster doesn't mean Japan Studio wasn't underperforming.

It does make you wonder what Sony's going to do with Firewalk, because all the studios they closed were doing way better than Firewalk rn.

bender

What time is it?

Weird take considering part of the mission of that outlet is to review games and I'd guess if look through their review archives, some less-than-kind dunking has been done to unpopular games. Doubling down by some of the devs is natural considering how close they are to the project but there are easy lessons to be learned and it has zero to do with ideology as I can't imagine anyone, on any part of any spectrum, finds those character designs appealing which is the minimum you need to nail when creating a hero shooter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is what stings the most. Japan Studio, Bloodborne, Ape Escape, Sly, Jak, Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, and many more are dead and buried forever while Sony pumps this garbage out. Borderline insulting.
The problem with your list is many of those are SP games so the opportunity to mtx it to death is zero.

Some of the other games can be adjusted to be like current games with tons of mtx (shooters and racers where someone above said evolution studios).

I think the issue is they gave up in those series going gaas because they don’t have a history of that and if they did, then Sony gamers would be pissed.

So if you’re going to go gaas, you do it with outsider games or new IPs where there’s no expectations from the past.

Then again, GT and baseball have tons of mtx and they are fine. Maybe for certain genres they’d rather go new or external.

larrybrady

Neo Member
No and I bet they never will.

Fold this studio into another one and be done with it.

Oh and Sony, if you really want to make a fps multiplayer game, just make guerrilla go back to killzone instead of trying to make a horizon mmo happen.
If that did happen, I doubt these ppl would work on "normal stuff", they would probably quit on the spot if the material doesn't contain mostly purple/blue haired, 300lb females. I can't see the professor standing for such things..

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The problem with your list is many of those are SP games so the opportunity to mtx it to death is zero.

Some of the other games can be adjusted to be like current games with tons of mtx (shooters and racers where someone above said evolution studios).

I think the issue is they gave up in those series going gaas because they don’t have a history of that and if they did, then Sony gamers would be pissed.

So if you’re going to go gaas, you do it with outsider games or new IPs where there’s no expectations from the past.

Then again, GT and baseball have tons of mtx and they are fine. Maybe for certain genres they’d rather go new or external.

The lesson they're hopefully learning from this whole experiment is that , yes - those single player games have no significant opportunity for mtx. But they are predictable, reliable, and can still deliver huge revenue figures. Given the amount that's been poured into these GaaS titles, and the looming specter of ongoing support over the next several years to keep that wheel turning; they're probably realizing that these games are also more expensive than they'd predicted and becoming super high risk.

But they probably won't. Here's Marathon, have a bad day.

Banjo64

cumsessed

The MTX issue is actually a none issue.

Fortnite, Apex and Rocket League are the zeitgeist. Everyone has tried and failed to replicate, because no one wants poor imitations. The next ‘big thing’ will be an innovator like Fortnite was.

What Sony should have done is evolution instead of revolution (tasking their first party with Horizon online, massive Factions game, Concord, Fairgame$ at substantial cost).

They should have just ported GT7 to PC day and date and had a million cars as usual but an exclusive car shop with real currency that has some amazing limited cars with amazing body kits/decals. They should have made Factions a smaller scale but tight project like the first game, ported it to PC and released some sexy apocalyptic rag skins for the female characters and added a battle pass.

Same for Uncharted 5 Cassie’s Revenge. Just add a load of MP battle passes and lingerie skins and they would have raked it in.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Almost 2:00pm here in California on a Saturday. Only 122 people on planet Earth are playing Concord on Steam.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I think if I released the Unreal Engine 4 free fps demo that shoot balls in a cubic area will get more sales than this.

good riddance to all the dev team. pure garbage. hope you don't get hired in any company even for minimum wage you talentless freaks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom