• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

You just have to channel the energy of the fat woman's character design.

I Love You Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I've honestly never played a 5v5 FPS arena shooter that I've really enjoyed. However this looks intriguing and might be fun.
The character designs are definitely distinctive. While they're not exactly my style, they are memorable. Even the plus-sized female character has a well-done des

4onDyTM.gif

Nope. Can't do it

Fbh

Gold Member
There's no way this is free to play.

It's 2024 Sony.

It'll be 40 bucks absolute minimum.

Hopefully there's a $70 deluxe edition with exclusive pronouns!!!

I thought it was going to be something like 70's or 80's looking characters traveling across the galaxy or something. Not a fucking 5 v 5 hero shooter.

Yeah I was slightly curious because IMO PVP is the best fit for GaaS.
Based on the name and the colors of the logo I too was expecting some sort of "retro future" inspired theme.
Seeing it not only being another hero shooter, but an uninspired Guardians of The Galaxy clone full of DEI crap at that, is really disappointing

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Man I just spent 5 minutes trying to one up that post but even I have a bare minimum level of self respect. Gotta throw in the towel here i'm afriad
Man, you guys are losers. I didn't even have an Xbox in 2019 and I never purchased an Xbox One, so claiming that's some kind of ambassador take is 100% a lie, again. I've never played Bleeding Edge, despite having access to it on GP for 3 years now and it being sold frequently for $3. 5 years ago that was my snap impression from watching a trailer for a system I don't even own and have never once played. I said that I'm not a huge fan of the character designs, but at least they stand out. Just blocking you permanently at this point so I don't even see the other morons you reply to. More off topic bullshit. Anything but talking about games, just more attacking people and antagonizing people that don't even talk to you. All the time.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

The only similarities these games have is that they are both multiplayer.

The anti-GaaS crowd was all saying HD2 was sent to die

The track record for predicting GaaS success or failure is poor.

Concord may flop but at the same time if you actually enjoy some of these live service games then you’d realize gameplay shown looks very good for the type of game it is. Maybe that’s not enough, maybe it is. Who knows, but it’s not obviously DOA given the pedigree of the devs. This isn’t a Redfall situation

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know it's just a GOTG rip off in premise, and we have a really good GOTG game on PS5, but it's weird that they set up this GOTG premise and then say... you're just going to fight the same characters in arenas to collect weapon skins and costumes.

Concord may flop but at the same time if you actually enjoy some of these live service games then you’d realize gameplay shown looks very good for the type of game it is. Maybe that’s not enough, maybe it is. Who knows, but it’s not obviously DOA given the pedigree of the devs. This isn’t a Redfall situation
This is true. What hits and what doesn't is practically random at this point. And no matter what one particular gaashit advocate on this forum says, a F2P game can have a high population for a month or two and still end up failing as people just drop out.

The issue with these shooters is that nobody is going to be deeply invested in more than one. Imagine the guy who is grinding for unlocks and is doing daily missions in multiple games like this. That guy would be a lunatic. So your game has to do something really, fantastically well to attract new people and to convince people to switch.

Killjoy-NL

Gaf itself is extremely poor in predicting almost anything.

People should wait until the open beta before calling it DOA.

There's probably a good reason why HD2 and Concord got/get a release, while Factions got canned despite Faction 1 being a very solid multiplayer mode in TLOU.

th4tguy

So much of this presentation was either "I hear you like Overwatch" or "I hear you like Elden Ring/ Souls games"
2 years from now, half of the games shown won't be playable anymore.

I know it's just a GOTG rip off in premise, and we have a really good GOTG game on PS5, but it's weird that they set up this GOTG premise and then say... you're just going to fight the same characters in arenas to collect weapon skins and costumes.

This is true. What hits and what doesn't is practically random at this point. And no matter what one particular gaashit advocate on this forum says, a F2P game can have a high population for a month or two and still end up failing as people just drop out.

The issue with these shooters is that nobody is going to be deeply invested in more than one. Imagine the guy who is grinding for unlocks and is doing daily missions in multiple games like this. That guy would be a lunatic. So your game has to do something really, fantastically well to attract new people and to convince people to switch.

Yeah it’s really going to depend on how well this plays and whether the OW2 community wants to move on to something fresh and shiny and if this ends up capturing their attention more after that game’s disappointment.

If this has great gameplay it can shine just like HD2, I think. But if it’s just okay but not really better it’s probably not enough

Visually it looked really fluid and solid to me for this kind of game with a lot of mechanics per character

GHG

Gold Member

This looks exactly like a Redfall situation.

The game looks shit and it's 99% guaranteed to be shit. There are no redeeming features from a visual standpoint and to make matters worse it's a woke box ticking exercise.

Audiences for this type of game don't exist and for the few weirdos it does appeal to they will struggle to find enough players to have a game with within months.

Then the studio will be dead and buried within 12-18 months. We've seen this all before.

The fact that they killed factions but kept plowing resources towards this is a joke. What's even more of a joke is that they are putting resources towards this instead of giving that same money and time to a developer who can make a decent single player experience for them.

It seems Sony are determined to learn the hard way when it comes to GAAS crap.

Last edited:
This looks exactly like a Redfall situation.

The game looks shit and it's 99% guaranteed to be shit. There are no redeeming features from a visual standpoint and to make matters worse it's a woke box ticking exercise.

Audiences for this type of game don't exist and for the few weirdos it does appeal to they will struggle to find enough players to have a game with within months.

Then the studio will be dead and buried within 12-18 months. We've seen this all before.

Redfall was an SP dev forced to make a live service co op shooter.

It looked like broken shit leading up to release.

This is a dev with MP arena roots making an arena shooter and the gameplay looks rock solid.

Not the same situation at all.

The anti-GaaS crowd says all GaaS games look like shit. You don’t play them so you don’t know or have an eye for these things. Fortnite and OW also look like shit yet are massively successful

MrRibeye

The only thing that allowed me to go to sleep last night was knowing The Finals was made by 75 people and Firewalk Studio has 150.

It's possible that they have more than one team working on GAAS. I just can't live in a world where 150 people spent 6 years working on Overwatch DEI edition.

Firewalk is drowning in hierarchy.

These three people all talked about the gameplay abilities of the characters.
BHrT6I.jpg

Josh Hamrick - Design Director
[...] tight core movement, precise visceral shooting and expressive abilities.
Claude Jerome - Lead Gameplay Designer
[...] the asymmetry of our characters makes every fight, every matchup feel very different.
Jon Weisnewski - Lead Character Designer
[...] we also have abilities that are meant to have impact beyond direct combat.

If they would have had more time, the Lead Systems and Lead Modes designer surely would have also told us about the character's abilities.
HYDpjb.jpg

Meanwhile the Game Director tells us about the crew of the Northstar who are free to roam the stars and take high-stakes jobs. No wonder he can't talk about gameplay because there's an army of leads and directors doing it on his behalf.
1W54BR.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes but Firewalk most likely only has Concord in production, because these people here appear to be the only gameplay-related Leads at Firewalk. Besides them, there appear to be 10 game designers at the studio, which fairly divided among the 4 Lead Designers means roughly 2-3 designers per Lead. That's a lot of hierarchy bloat. Plus the additional hidden hierarchies we aren't privy too.

Really sorry for the salt, what's happening at Firewalk just feels like a déjà vu from the past that I'm still upset about to this day.

SJRB

Gold Member
Goes to show that some developers never actually play games. Or are gamers. Who is this marketed for exactly and why did Sony think this would be a good idea.

As if the knock off Wish.com GOTG cast wasn't bad enough.

These massive studios and their subsidiaries are in a stranglehold of their own doing by endlessly pandering to a specific demographic and now we're ending up with a washed up hero shooter where the robot is a "he/him" and the goddamn alien is "undecided" about their pronouns.

72lf.gif

Killjoy-NL

Redfall was an SP dev forced to make a live service co op shooter.

It looked like broken shit leading up to release.

This is a dev with MP arena roots making an arena shooter and the gameplay looks rock solid.

Not the same situation at all.

The anti-GaaS crowd says all GaaS games look like shit. You don’t play them so you don’t know or have an eye for these things. Fortnite and OW also look like shit yet are massively successful
If Firewalk consists of a lot of ex-Bungie employees, people shouldn't underestimate the expertise these guys have for the shooter genre.

Destiny has arguably the best gunplay in any FPS and I assume Halo does as well.

Like you said, everything stands and falls with the gameplay.

If Firewalk consists of a lot of ex-Bungie employees, people shouldn't underestimate the expertise these guys have for the shooter genre.

Destiny has arguably the best gunplay in any FPS and I assume Halo does as well.

Like you said, everything stands and falls with the gameplay.

Yeah which is why this game is bittersweet to me

I don’t really like the art style, but I enjoy arena shooters and this one looks pretty awesome

Lambogenie

An issue I have with this shit, and the same way MK is, is designing these "realistic" humans that could be you, your friend, your neighbour. It sucks. It's unappealing if everyone has that same boring looking. It's not distinctive, it's all fucking boring.

The same way most Korean game characters have a much more appealing look, it's still get boring (but better).

My point is, fuck ugly shit. Things should be cool, and appealing to the eyes, even grotesque stuff in From stuff, is cool.

But I forget, we live in an age where none should be a model looking thing.

Killjoy-NL

Yeah which is why this game is bittersweet to me

I don’t really like the art style, but I enjoy arena shooters and this one looks pretty awesome
I'm in the same boat.

If the gameplay is solid, that already might make up for a lot.
And with 16 Freegunners, there should be at least 1 or 2 that I don't mind playing as.

They could've done without the Woke-bs, but then again, I couldnt care less about a characters backstory in these kind of games.

I'm in the same boat.

If the gameplay is solid, that already might make up for a lot.
And with 16 Freegunners, there should be at least 1 or 2 that I don't mind playing as.

They could've done without the Woke-bs, but then again, I couldnt care less about a characters backstory in these kind of games.

Yep same here

I also wrote off HD2 as looking generic until the positive reception came out. Tried it and loved it

Hopefully I can get in the beta for this and try fit myself.

Since it’s not F2P it needs to be $39.99 like HD2

Last edited:
Hopefully there's a $70 deluxe edition with exclusive pronouns!!!

Yeah I was slightly curious because IMO PVP is the best fit for GaaS.
Based on the name and the colors of the logo I too was expecting some sort of "retro future" inspired theme.
Seeing it not only being another hero shooter, but an uninspired Guardians of The Galaxy clone full of DEI crap at that, is really disappointing
Yep I kinda thought the characters would look kind of like rebels in star wars or even alien, mayeb be customizable.

But this is so uninteresting and boring I'm honestly shocked.

Reactions: GHG

Roxkis_ii

Trailer didn't really inspire me, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

I just hope this game is free to play or on PS plus, otherwise...

tedlasso-yikes.gif

[Sigma]

I don't think a thumbnail + video title has ever summarized it better than this.

They actually towards the end put into words what tends to be my beef with almost all the free to play games i've tried over the last 10 years and why if I don't flat out hate them off the bat, why I don't tend to play them long.

Last edited:

Sonik

It doesn’t mean anything, the audience for these games aren’t the hardcore SP Sony fans

My dude, this is getting ridiculous. You claimed that gamers reception of Helldivers 2 was equally negative to defend this trash, I show you objective proof that it wasn't and you're still in denial about it

Last edited:
My dude, this is getting ridiculous. You claimed that gamers reception of Helldivers 2 was negative to defend this trash, I show you objective proof that it wasn't and you're still in denial about it

I never said reception to HD2 was negative, I said it was hardly there at all and many people claiming it was DOA

It getting 20k likes to some video is irrelevant. It sold 12M

Yep same here

I also wrote off HD2 as looking generic until the positive reception came out. Tried it and loved it

Hopefully I can get in the beta for this and try fit myself.

Since it’s not F2P it needs to be $39.99 like HD2
I don’t remember HD2 having this kind of response at all. I thought people were always kinda interested in it

This has an art style that does it no favors. It could end up being great though that’s true

BbMajor7th

My dude, this is getting ridiculous. You claimed that gamers reception of Helldivers 2 was negative to defend this trash, I show you objective proof that it wasn't and you're still in denial about it
Yeah, dude needs to climb down. When people said 'Helldivers 2 is being sent to die' it was because there was so little obvious marketing budget behind it. There's evidently budget behind Concord, people are just wondering why.

NickFire

It doesn’t mean anything, the audience for these games aren’t the hardcore SP Sony fans
I won't argue against this specific sentence. But who exactly is the audience for this? The 7 or 8 people still playing Saints Row? Maybe the 10 or 11 who really enjoyed Suicide Squad? Or the people who found the character in the Fable trailer to be the epitome of beauty?

Killjoy-NL

Let's not act like Playstation (and HD2 as well) didn't get flamed for their GaaS strategy pre-HD2 (and still) or that HD2 didn't get trashed for it's graphics upon release.

I won't argue against this specific sentence. But who exactly is the audience for this? The 7 or 8 people still playing Saints Row? Maybe the 10 or 11 who really enjoyed Suicide Squad? Or the people who found the character in the Fable trailer to be the epitome of beauty?

Overwatch fans and arena shooter fans

Top Bottom