• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

I really hope more info comes out because it’s so morbidly fascinating. But I think it’s a combination of a couple things

1. The “Disney approach” where they think they can let the activist writers cram it full of their grievances and identity politics under the guise of appealing to the “modern audiences”, and they can get everyone to buy it by hyping the fuck out of it and labeling the critics as a bunch of phobes. Sadly for them, audiences have finally caught on in the last year or so and stopped buying this shit.

2. Panic buying during the pandemic (see also: Bungie). Companies were hiring every dev they could find just to keep their competitors from hiring them. Video games and live service games were on fire. Microsoft bought half the damn industry. Sony probably overpaid and didn’t do their due diligence because they panicked and wanted to snatch Firewalk up before someone else beat them to it.
Regarding the first point. I'm so glad that more people seem to be showing some self restraint. We're all consumers but my lord, when a company is openly hating on their core audience and trying to lecture them, stop supporting it. I dipped out years ago and I have not missed out on a single thing. If anything, I've been treated to better experiences via indies and AA. That's the next step in this whole process; as people ditch more AAA titles, they gotta dip their toes into the AA '7/10' pool. The water feels great and we're all having a blast. The more the merrier.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Regarding the first point. I'm so glad that more people seem to be showing some self restraint. We're all consumers but my lord, when a company is openly hating on their core audience and trying to lecture them, stop supporting it. I dipped out years ago and I have not missed out on a single thing. If anything, I've been treated to better experiences via indies and AA. That's the next step in this whole process; as people ditch more AAA titles, they gotta dip their toes into the AA '7/10' pool. The water feels great and we're all having a blast. The more the merrier.
I think people have gotten really, really good at detecting the slightest smell of “made for modern audiences” and are staying the hell away from it, finally.

For me it was The Last Jedi that really made me aware. I thought the trailer looked freaking amazing, 90-something Tomatometer, directed by the guy who did Looper, so I went in blind and saw it in IMAX opening weekend. By the end credits I was just sitting there in disbelief like “what the hell was that?” I checked out the audience reviews while I was still sitting there in the theater while the credits rolled and sure enough they were way, way more negative than the “critics”. And in the discussions it seemed like the ones who liked it, liked it because it fit their postmodernist worldview, not because they loved Star Wars.

That was pretty much the exact moment I stopped buying stuff just based on how cool it looks and how much hype there is.

havoc00

C86GvxT.png

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They won’t. No way does Sony have their biggest failure out there for the world to see, every single day. A constant reminder of how insanely stupid they were to acquire that company then continue to waste money on it. All anyone will ever see with that game is how bad Sony did with their attempt at GaaS. Just utter failure. Disgraceful, disgusting and offensive. Offensive to the eyes. That game is an attack on mankind.
NO

Varteras

The only thing they did right with this game was letting people test it before it released so they could get a good idea of how bad it was going to be.

Top Bottom