• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Construction of world's tallest statue begins in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/construction-worlds-tallest-statue-begins-india-105628559.html
Statue_of_Unity_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Ahmedabad (India) (AFP) - Indian farmers were urged Thursday to hand over scraps of metal and tools for the world's tallest statue, as construction began on what promoters hope will be a wonder of the world.

The tribute to Sardar Patel, the first home minister of independent India, is set to be twice the size of the Statue of Liberty and four times higher than Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro.

The metal structure, a pet project of opposition leader Narendra Modi in his home state of Gujarat, will rise 182 metres (600 feet) from an island in the Narmada river when completed in four years' time.

Modi laid the foundation stone on Thursday and urged farmers to donate tools which will be melted down and used in the memorial to a politician nicknamed the "Iron Man of India."

"People come to see the Taj Mahal, flock to America for the Statue of Liberty and France for the Eiffel Tower. Now people from all over the world will come here to see this wonder," Modi said.

"We have asked farmers from every village in India to give old pieces of their agricultural tools, just 200 grams or 400 grams would do," he added from the site at Kevadia, 170 kilometres (105 miles) from Gujarat's biggest city Ahmedabad.

A metal collection effort covering nearly 700,000 villages across the country will begin Thursday and last until January 26 next year, state officials said.

The total cost of the statue is estimated at 25 billion rupees ($300 million) and will be funded with public funds and private donations.

When finished, it will tower by 54 metres over the 128-metre Spring Temple Buddha in China's Henan province which is currently the world's tallest statue.

xbhaskarx

"People come to see the Taj Mahal, flock to America for the Statue of Liberty and France for the Eiffel Tower. Now people from all over the world will come here to see this wonder," Modi said.

Sure they will...

Derpstar

Banned
Honestly, it looks kind of ugly and I kind of doubt the structural integrity of a statue that big built with old melted down pieces of farm equipment (unless they're only doing that for small parts of the construction for symbolic purposes).

Lamel

Banned
Nice priorities India. Asking the poor farmers for all they have too.

It's still a cool endeavor I suppose.

Ferrio

Banned
Something doesn't become iconic over night.

And ya the scale of that picture for the new statue is pretty bad.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
THAT'S having your priorities straight!
Who the hell is the man the statue represents, anyway? I kind of expected it to be Gandhi again.

Showaddy

With all due respect to Sardar Patel, if India want to build this to attract tourists he seems an odd man to build a giant statue of.

sangreal

counting the base of the statue of liberty seems like cheating.

well they count the base of all of them

I love how the 30 meters between the statue of liberty and ushiku is tiny compared to the 30 meters between ushiku and the new statue

e: beaten

DiscoJer

I can't believe I've never seen that Russian statue before. That's amazing.

It's pretty easy to do a static statue of someone standing, but that sort of pose and the sword way up like that is really impressive.

Toxi

Banned
Statue_of_Unity_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The scale in this picture is hilarious.
The thing that gets me is how the Statue of Liberty sneaks out of last place thanks to its huge pedestal.

Might as well put Christ the Redeemer in first considering he's located at the top of a 700 meter tall mountain.

Konka

Banned
The thing that gets me is how the Statue of Liberty sneaks out of last place thanks to its huge pedestal.

Might as well put Christ the Redeemer in first considering he's located at the top of a 700 meter tall mountain.

Blame it on the French.

Cyan

Banned
Dear Americans, thanks for slowly adopting the metric system after all these decades.

Now please also use the correct symbol for meters which is lower case m. kthxbye

If this image had been made by Americans, it would've been in feet. :p

Seems like a waste of resources. Does it really have to be so big?

This is happening in my state in India...I would say No, it doesn't.

At the same time, being this huge means it will not be ignored. Sardar Patel had a very important role in unifying India post partition but because he is not from the Nehru-Gandhi family it gets largely ignored.

There is a lot of politics at play here. The Chief Minister of the state where this Statue is running as PM candidate against Congress's Rahul Gandhi. And one of the things at play here is, following Sardar Patel's brand of secularism vs Congress's brand of secularism

Chuckie

If they count pedestals, the should mention Christ Blessing in Sulawesi, Indonesia... it stands 50 meters tall with pedestal.

Monumen-Yesus-Memberkati-Christ-Blessing-statue-Manado-Indonesia.jpg

PJV3

How utterly ghastly, I'm not really keen on any overly large statues but that is just fucking awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom