• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disxo

But isn't it still weird. To even refer to someone by their race.

Like...If I was playing soccer with an asian, I'm not sure why I would ever refer to him as an asian, during the game or whatever. Even if there was a nonoffensive word for an asian person in english...like...dunno I can't see it.
Heck, even if someone was short or tall, saying short person or tall person would still sound off. Categorizing people in general and not using proper names can lead to negative responses.

It sounds like one of those, "This is how it's been for X time, but why is that so, and is it necessarily good/inoffensive?"

We are not sensitive with the way we categorize people, It is really common to do that here.
"El negro", "El petiso", "El cabeza"

SalvaPot

But isn't it still weird. To even refer to someone by their race.

Like...If I was playing soccer with an asian, I'm not sure why I would ever refer to him as an asian, during the game or whatever. Even if there was a nonoffensive word for an asian person in english...like...dunno I can't see it.
Heck, even if someone was short or tall, saying short person or tall person would still sound off. Categorizing people in general and not using proper names can lead to negative responses.

It sounds like one of those, "This is how it's been for X time, but why is that so, and is it necessarily good/inoffensive?"

In south america races are far more varied, so racism is not as big as a problem or at least not a deterrent when talking deforative terms. In México, for example, there is a far bigger problem is classicism or misogyny than in race. If you are white, a common nickname is "Guero", that would translate to whitey, and if you are black or a darker color its pretty common to call you Negrito, there was even a bread from bimbo with that name.

Negro does not have a negative connotation here, it is literally how you say the color black.

It's funny the Mexican fans all knew it was the wrong national anthem and were booing throughout. The Uruguayan players took it pretty well, they were probably pissed but they kept straight faces. Whoever is in charge of playing the stadium sound had better sneak out after this one.

SalvaPot

It's funny the Mexican fans all knew it was the wrong national anthem and were booing throughout. The Uruguayan players took it pretty well, they were probably pissed but they kept straight faces. Whoever is in charge of playing the stadium sound had better sneak out after this one.

Someone is getting fired for this. its too big a fuck up.

Mory Dunz

We are not sensitive with the way we categorize people, It is really common to do that here.

The issue is "we" then.
If it really is completely acceptable in that culture/country, then that's fine. But others exist outside of that we.

But people also have to be aware of other cultures. Suarez had been playing in Europe for several years at the point.

In south america races are far more varied, so racism is not as big as a problem or at least not a deterrent when talking deforative terms. In México, for example, there is a far bigger problem is classicism or misogyny than in race. If you are white, a common nickname is "Guero", that would translate to whitey, and if you are black or a darker color its pretty common to call you Negrito, there was even a bread from bimbo with that name.

Negro does not have a negative connotation here, it is literally how you say the color black.

I've read a good number of studies (took a lain america history-modern course) that this statement is sometimes used wrongly. As in, because they're so diverse, there's less racism. But I was talking more about people in other cultures though. If it's truly acceptable in the home country, that's fine.

But this incidedent and others are in other countries with people from other countries

One time, CONMEBOL played Mexico's National anthem thinking it was Ecuadors, for a world cup qualifier.

Yep. A Colombian example:

You too black? "Negro" (Black)
You too white? "Mojon de leche" (Milk turd)
You too short? "Pitufo" (Smurf)
You too tall? "Vara 'e premio" (Prize staff)

Salsa

But people also have to be aware of other cultures. Suarez had been playing in Europe for several years at the point.

he's a futbol player that can barely speak enligsh

they're never quite the smartest "lets think about this before instinctively opening my mouth" bunch and he just reacts as whatever comes naturally, he's not taking the time to think on what culture he's atm if he's reacting to getting pissed

in the end it just was never a racial slur and it got treated as such

SalvaPot

The problem is "we" then.
If it really is completely acceptable in that culture/country, then that's fine.

Its harder than it looks, not to justify Suarez, but when you grow up with so common nicknames its hard to adapt.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Fucked up anthem and goal at 4 minutes.
Off to a great start!
:(

I'll add that these categorizations are not considered discriminatory, insulting or anything by themselves which is why no one cares here. For them to be considered like that something else that is actually insulting must be added to it (ie, "El petiso de mierda").
Also, "mi negro/a" and "mi negrito/a" is actually and endearing term.

EDIT:
Of course, but it goes both ways. Evra called Suarez a "sudaca" during that exchange, which is highly insulting.

Salsa

pGzMEhD.png

I always get the best thread ideas clearly

janoDX

Uruguay trashing Chile for months after we won the Copa America and them saying that was luck.
They're still salty for the loss. After they said that they were the kings and they will eliminate the host like always and failing hard.
They celebrated like they won the world cup after they won in the qualifiers.

Welp, Karma got them back.

Salsa

Uruguay trashing Chile for months after we won the Copa America and them saying that was luck.
They're still salty for the loss.
They celebrated like they won the world cup after they won in the qualifiers.

Welp, Karma got them back.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom