• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Edit 3 : Game froze after a retry, only one ennemie re-appear then it crashed.... this 3 game breaking bug in just 30 minutes of playtimes....I can repeat that crash, kill the first guard, then lose the fight, then retry.... it crashed.

I've been dealing with this one this morning. If I lose a battle and try to retry the fight, I can select 1 action and then the game locks up.

Edit: I'm playing the PC version

Skulldead

Robert, keep your head up, man. I know it's been a tough road, and there have been some issues, but you've created something pretty awesome. Not a lot of people can say the same.

Yeah i really dig the game, i'm sure you can correct all these small issues to make the game more fluid. I don't care about crash, but losing my save files twice(because it always freeze at boss before and after no matter what i tried before to unlock this)... this is not funny.

Kvik

Great game, Robert. I enjoyed it immensely.

33627525780_b31ab40565_o.jpg

I also found the fact that the game has decent SLI scaling was rather amusing :p -- not that this game actually need it. :)

Can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

Indignate

So if you hold the run button while you exit a dialog box you will continue to run even after you lift off the button, persists through every kind of scene transition as well as battles. You will only go back to walking speed if you hit the run/cancel button again at any time.

A good bug for those of us who dislike holding down buttons.

Artanisix

I do have to ask, how the hell do you use shield abilities?? I have shields equipped and seemingly have enough Hacktitude to use the abilities on the shield, but they don't show up for any of my characters.

Burt

I do have to ask, how the hell do you use shield abilities?? I have shields equipped and seemingly have enough Hacktitude to use the abilities on the shield, but they don't show up for any of my characters.
Shield programs should show up after items in combat, as in Combat Skills -> R1 to get to your Items -> R1 to get to Programs. Only the ones you have the hackitude for will show up.

Artanisix

Shield programs should show up after items in combat, as in Combat Skills -> R1 to get to your Items -> R1 to get to Programs. Only the ones you have the hackitude for will show up.

SHiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeet I haven't used them at all yet lol. Good to know, thanks.

Use a poison item second guard (third encounter into the game) (i don't think it change something but it's equip on third slot of item, no item on slot 2), kill him right before his turn to attack. The party will get back to location where battle command was initiate, but will freeze in battle stance. Only happen when use Battle command option in menu.

Thanks! I was able to replicate it with those steps. Now to see if I can figure out what's going on under the hood & fix it. :)

EDIT: Maybe not. It might be a completely different issue not related to poison at all.

Anyone know how updates to the DRM free humble store version are handled?

You'll have to go back to your Humble Store page and see if the zip file is a higher version & re-download it. However, I messed up the upload last night (forgot to hit confirm) so it's not up yet. Doing that right now.

Durante

I know Amirox has already gone into this, but the combat in this game is actually brilliant. It's probably one of the best, most creative combat systems in an RPG ever.
I wouldn't go that far, but just because I think that combat systems with meaningful positioning inherently have a much larger and more interesting space to explore.

Regardless of that, as I said earlier in the thread, I do believe that this is easily one of the very best RPG battle systems with fixed positions that I have ever played. Many smart design decisions, which add up to largely eliminating repetition and simplistic "if A then B" reasoning for character actions each turn -- and those are often severe issues for these types of systems, at least for me.

I wouldn't go that far, but just because I think that combat systems with meaningful positioning inherently have a much larger and more interesting space to explore.

Regardless of that, as I said earlier in the thread, I do believe that this is easily one of the very best RPG battle systems with fixed positions that I have ever played. Many smart design decisions, which add up to largely eliminating repetition and simplistic "if A then B" reasoning for character actions each turn -- and those are often severe issues for these types of systems, at least for me.

Guess we'll just have to combine it with Grandia-style combat next time. ;)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Will probably pick this up on my day off... posting here mostly so my thread subscription page reminds me in a few days. lol.

Game looks pretty cool (gameplay) despite not being too crazy about the retro aesthetic. Maybe I'll warm up to that though, idk. Hearing good feedback on the battle system, so I'm probably on board. It's not too expensive to gamble a bit. Seems like the game has some heart too, which helps.

Amir0x

Banned
Nah, I'm not a fan of timed button presses in turn-based RPGs. If you're going to add reflex-based actions in your RPG, go all the way and make Ys or Dark Souls.

Alright you need to be in charge of all Japanese style RPGs now

I love how almost every ability maintains utility deep into the game, as does every character. Like in other RPGs you get "Fire 1, 2, 3" for example and then you never use Fire 1 again or whatever.

I'm going to be even more critical of traditional jRPG battle systems after this standard has been set. If Zeboyd can do it, no reason why other developers can't have creative solutions to the biggest issues of the genre.

Kijof_San

Played about one hour this morning (why we need to work? :( ), and I liked it very much, the music and aesthetics are great, love the CT and PS mix, can't wait to get back home.

Ixion

I just found out about this game yesterday and there's not even any reviews to go by, but damn this looks awesome. Will buy today. An RPG with "brisk pacing that respects your time!" was a big selling point.

Skulldead

Just fixed a bug that could cause bad stuff to happen during or after using the Battle command. Going to upload a patch to Steam ASAP.

Ps4 ? i wait for this to continue, i broke 2 save files because of this... :)

Also, I haven't managed to replicate an actual poison bug yet. The bug replication steps that was mentioned a little earlier in this thread wasn't related to poison at all but was a general issue with the Battle replay command which is now fixed on Steam. PS4 has to wait a little longer since I want to fix some other stuff as well and bundle them all together (it's much more difficult to do patches on PS4 so it's easier to get a bunch of bugs in one go).

Ok, i understand that. But at same time this make the game nearly unplayable because we can't do battle to grind on harder difficulty, i always have the fear to broke my save game after each freaking fight....

Also, I haven't managed to replicate an actual poison bug yet. The bug replication steps that was mentioned a little earlier in this thread wasn't related to poison at all but was a general issue with the Battle replay command which is now fixed on Steam. PS4 has to wait a little longer since I want to fix some other stuff as well and bundle them all together (it's much more difficult to do patches on PS4 so it's easier to get a bunch of bugs in one go).

Artanisix

I'll try to reproduce my poison issue later today when I'm home. It did not happen using the Battle option. Literally last enemy killed with poison tick as they ran up to hit my character and battle never ended; it was almost as if, since the monster never returned to its original position, the game couldn't continue.

I've had something similar-ish happen where Sue was running around as I entered combat and the battle wouldn't actually start until he finally made it to his combat position.

This is just a guess though, might not actually be related in any way.

Ok, i understand that. But at same time this make the game nearly unplayable because we can't do battle to grind on harder difficulty, i always have the fear to broke my save game after each freaking fight....

Obviously, we're trying to fix all bugs ASAP, but I just wanted to put it on the record that grinding is completely optional even on the highest difficulty. I beat Super-Spy without grinding at all.

Amir0x

Banned
Obviously, we're trying to fix all bugs ASAP, but I just wanted to put it on the record that grinding is completely optional even on the highest difficulty. I beat Super-Spy without grinding at all.

hot damn i gotta try this

Super Spy is kicking my ass at times without at least a little grinding. Just goes to show how much depth this battle system has, because if you can exploit it to that level to never have to grind once even on Super Spy...

Went to try and get the Prepare to Die trophy and the monster suicided on me. lol. Now I'm having bosses and monsters do the same. Not a big issue to me; in fact I find it hilarious. Also having issues with Sue's sprite being stuck in an idle standing position and the lyrics to Lauren's song showing up in every cutscene.

I'm loving this so far, though. It was actually my most anticipated release next to Persona 5 this year. Thanks, Zeboyd Games! My second run of Persona 5 is now on hold until I finish this up.

Artanisix

Yeah the pacing is great, I haven't felt the need to grind a single time on Heroine at least. Excited to try Super-Spy afterwards.

SarusGray

Thank you Robert for all your doing on fixing some of the bugs in this game. Game is incredible and I foresee a hit with this from word of mouth.

Alastor3

I just bought the game even tho I have very little money but seen Robert hard a work fixing bugs fill me with joy. I will probably start playing it after a few more patchs :p

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Played just past the first boss last night

Pros

- Nice pacing! Game feels very zippy and to the point!

- Great Combat and I havent even scratched the full depth of it yet

- Love the environment art. Really nice

Cons

- There is distinct lack of... satisfaction to using attacks and abilities in combat. Not enough OOOMPF. It benefits combat speed for sure but you could add some heavier animation and catchy sound effects. Add some razzle dazzle and some bone crunching, screen shakes, slow downs. I dunno

- Text boxes and font. Minor nitpick since im sure minimalism was intentional. Feels cheap though.

- Character portraits. Way to blown up and show the lack of fine details.

Thats all i got for knee jerk first impressions. Cant really comment on characters and story since that opening is just so fast and not really enough to build a write up on.

Im looking forward to diving in for more!

Thanks for the feedback. There's one particular thing I kind of want to talk about, this part:

"- There is distinct lack of... satisfaction to using attacks and abilities in combat. Not enough OOOMPF. It benefits combat speed for sure but you could add some heavier animation and catchy sound effects. Add some razzle dazzle and some bone crunching, screen shakes, slow downs. I dunno"

I agree with you. The game was intended to have enemies that take a hit or a blow from an ability do their hit-frame and white flash, but a huge number of abilities don't seem to cause this, resulting in enemies essentially not even registering that anything happened when taking certain hits other than the white number dropping from them indicating damage.

It's something I find pretty important for the reason you've indicated here, but obviously there are more important bugs that need ironing out before we'll get to this.

Anyway I do thank you for your opinion again.

(edit and I realize you're talking about more than just the hit-frame/white flash in general, but I believe that if this at least were employed across abilities that are a blow or hit, then it would help in this regard immensely. For example, Finn shoots his shotblaster at an enemy and they aren't phased, just the white number drops from them. A big blastershot to the face should cause them to recoil [ie hit frame, white flash])

Skulldead

But i want to grind ! super-spy if freaking challenging and fun !! haha. keep up the good work can't wait for the patch.

Jeffrey

Grinding should be disabled on super spy lol.

If you want to make it easier just turn down the difficulty! It's like grinding but without wasting time!

Pachinko

Zeboyd , you guys have something real special here. I ended up playing just over an hour last night and I love pretty much everything going on so far. I didn't notice any bugs myself.

Only point I'll second is the accidental dialog loop , that is , you hit the button to talk and while reading the text an accidental button press makes it pop up again. Not sure how easy that is to fix (adding a 1 second cool down before you can talk to the same person maybe?) and it's honestly barely even a nitpick but it's all it got :)

Hopefully sales are brisk and things work out for everyone.

Burt

I took a quick run through Skybreaker Tower on Super-Spy just to see what it's like, and damn, that really steps it up a notch.

I died to the first fight probably more times than anything in the entire game on Heroine difficulty. Probably more from a lack of tools than anything, because the rest of it was significantly easier, but still a great challenge. I used Breather and Absorb Shield more times than I did my entire first run because the margins are so much tighter that you can't just haphazardly Defend and stall out until the next rotation. And Style was 'good' before, but now it's 'important'. With so much less room for error, being in Desperation range is much more necessary -- except the minimum Style for it is double what it was before. Now I'm sweating when my style is less than 100%, and I can see my view on skills and entire characters (like
Clarke
) shifting dramatically because of their ability to manipulate style.

I hope my go to
Dave w/ Hypepad and Dark Shield that does 200k+ damage to all enemies
is still viable. Was tough enough at times keeping him alive already.

Lomax

I was going to hold off on this because lord knows I already have way too much to play, but as soon as I saw Robert's comment I immediately decided to buy it, the launch discount is generous, and games like this deserve to succeed.

If anyone could figure out a way to reliably activate the enemies auto-dying bug, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Have you looked into that Psybe sidequest boss glitch I sent you a PM about? No rush, I just want to wait until it's fixed before starting my Super Spy playthrough.

I have Persona 5 sitting here but just want to play more of this honeslty.

Phototropic

Neo Member
Picked this up and have been so close to starting it the last couple of nights. I have P5 going, so that is making it easier to hold off on a PS4 patch, but I wanted to thank the Zeboyd guys for their hard work and responses in this thread.

Thanks for the feedback. There's one particular thing I kind of want to talk about, this part:

"- There is distinct lack of... satisfaction to using attacks and abilities in combat. Not enough OOOMPF. It benefits combat speed for sure but you could add some heavier animation and catchy sound effects. Add some razzle dazzle and some bone crunching, screen shakes, slow downs. I dunno"

I agree with you. The game was intended to have enemies that take a hit or a blow from an ability do their hit-frame and white flash, but a huge number of abilities don't seem to cause this, resulting in enemies essentially not even registering that anything happened when taking certain hits other than the white number dropping from them indicating damage.

It's something I find pretty important for the reason you've indicated here, but obviously there are more important bugs that need ironing out before we'll get to this.

Anyway I do thank you for your opinion again.

(edit and I realize you're talking about more than just the hit-frame/white flash in general, but I believe that if this at least were employed across abilities that are a blow or hit, then it would help in this regard immensely. For example, Finn shoots his shotblaster at an enemy and they aren't phased, just the white number drops from them. A big blastershot to the face should cause them to recoil [ie hit frame, white flash])

Yeah if I was to point to an example it would basically be the game that inspired this one

Member when Chrono got that Critical hit man? I can still hear the sound effect and the impact in my brain

or the first time you used pretty much any of his abilites.

Kudos on everything though. I dont share these thoughts without considering that you are just a handful of people man!

Top Bottom