• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Brashnir

Interesting.
I wonder if it's somehow related.

OK, so I did some more testing, and I don't know why this didn't happen last time, but now I can consistently get the party to lag behind at any refresh rate higher than 60 (100/120/144)

Forcing a 60Hz output causes the problem to disappear.

So, you can re-use items?

Yes. You can use items once per battle, but they refresh between fights.

daevv

Not a big deal or gameplay related but I noticed nothing for the game shows up in the "What's New" section on PS4. Does not show anyone played it for the first time or when trophies have unlocked.

Game was just updated on Steam with a few bug fixes. Patch notes in the Steam game forum.

And yes, items can be reused from battle to battle.

Cool, I'm glad you're fixing stuff. Hope you get around to that Psybe sidequest boss soon, I'm pretty tempted to start another playthrough on a higher difficulty.

I'm assuming the unfinished sidequest is to do with the guy being arrested in Gehenna? I kept going back to check if that door to the southwest would open.

Something else I noticed. A certain Chahn ability appears to be bugged
I think it was the one you get from the Gunmancy temple. It lets you use your gunmancy skills repeatedly without needing to refresh for 3 turns. Once those three turns are up it disables all your moves until you refresh (not sure if this is intentional). The thing is, it's meant to be once per battle but you can use it again after you refresh.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I see the OT mentions this game is on Mac...but I can't find where to buy it. I just got a new Macbook Air today, so I'm fairly new to the whole thing. Where do I purchase the game on Mac?

Alastor3

I wonder if I should get the game on PC or on PS4 so that my friend grab my shared game on ps4.... but I heard there's a bit more bugs on ps4 no?

How's the story and characters?

edit: nevermind, my friend hacked the game, sorry Robert :( I will buy on Steam now

Linkura

Honestly, if I was able to do it over again, I would have asked for more money and made a completely different game that would have been smaller in size, scope & ambition. Either that or just given up on game development entirely. I think Cosmic Star Heroine is an excellent game and I'm glad people are enjoying it, but all the years of stress & money problems were too much. And then to have all the launch issues with the Steam version going up late, the PS4 version not getting patched with the pre-release patch, review codes not coming out before launch, etc. And I still don't know if the game's going to sell well enough to pay off development costs, much less support my family while I work on another game or find a better job.

This is so depressing to read. :( You got some real talent and to hear this is heartbreaking.

hawk2025

Maybe don't talk about plans to skirt the PS4 account system to save a buck in the same thread the developer is worried about making ends meet?

Skulldead

Bought it on Ps4 !

For 20$, it look really good, since the time i heard about that game, and i will also buy physical when LGR will release it. And your message was really touching, i can't encourage you enough, Ive made my part, i'm really looking foward to see a future success of this game. Can't wait to play it (still downloading)

Edit: breaking bug right at the first screen in the game, don't use "battle" on the first screen, have to close application to put back the normal filter of the game...

Edit 2: Now the game just froze after a battle in front of the first boss fight......hmmm ok......... i discover the problem, this is the poison glitch....,

Edit 3 : Game froze after a retry, only one ennemie re-appear then it crashed.... this 3 game breaking bug in just 30 minutes of playtimes....I can repeat that crash, kill the first guard, then lose the fight, then retry.... it crashed.

edit 4: I'm out... just start the first boss fight after grinding for 1 level, the combat animation start, no music, just froze... Do something guys, this is way too buggy.

edit 5 : here we go.... close the application, reload save file.... always crash when starting boss fight..... amazing 1 hour lost....

I'm on 1.01....

I got my preorder issue ironed out thanks to Robert so I'm putting Breath of the Wild on Ice for a bit. Gonna try streaming this.

CEJames

Be very careful to NOT GO TO THE FESTIVAL, otherwise your game is going to have serious issues. I'm currently working on a patch that will prevent this sequence break.

lol yeah, I found this odd she said she needed to go in alone but
Sue
ended up coming along anyway. Created an additional save just in case. Tried to do the battle against the cat and it froze.

It still displays the cutcene at the "meeting place" but I didn't go any further. Kept the save anyway because I wanted to see how far I could go "out of sequence" of what it should have been before the game broke again.

Clunker

Anyone have a PC code and want to swap for a PSN code? I kickstarted back when I had a Vita but now, not so much. :p

Can't wait to try this out! My heart goes out to you guys with launch stress and exhaustion.

Edit: Jeffrey, sent you a Pm!

Only 30 minutes in on PS4, but talking to people gets annoying when it keeps registering that I somehow wanted to talk to that person more than once. I end up hearing the same conversation multiple times. It would also be great if there was a permanent run option or at least let the analog stick control the speed. I've never needed to walk slowly in these types of games so I'm not sure why there needs to be a walk and a run.

Burt

How's the PC port? I'm tempted to grab it just because it's such a good price.

By all accounts I've seen, it runs great. People have running on that Win GPD thingy 60fps I think.

It'd be a lie to say it was entirely clean - there are a few last-coat-of-polish-type oversights and the rare combat softlock (which I only ever got hit with in the first... general area and might even be fixed at this point) - but considering the scope of the game, the slight and visual nature of most 'issues', and the save anywhere functionality for the rare not-so-slight issues, it's nothing that I can hold against the game in any measurable way.

I think the PS4 version is the port, technically. I'd be surprised if the game wasn't PC first, even with the devs working so closely with Sony.

Only 30 minutes in on PS4, but talking to people gets annoying when it keeps registering that I somehow wanted to talk to that person more than once. I end up hearing the same conversation multiple times. It would also be great if there was a permanent run option or at least let the analog stick control the speed. I've never needed to walk slowly in these types of games so I'm not sure why there needs to be a walk and a run.

I think Robert said earlier they put a patch up for the double talk registering issue and are just waiting for it to go through.

slash000

Zeboyd Games

The "NPC double talk" thing is getting fixed in a patch; on PC it's going live soon, on PS4 it will be in the next patch we can do, but we have to be a bit more conservative with how we handle patches there because the process is far more involved.

VandalD

Be very careful to NOT GO TO THE FESTIVAL, otherwise your game is going to have serious issues. I'm currently working on a patch that will prevent this sequence break.
Oh wow, I didn't realize I was sequence breaking. Just thought I'd finish exploring. That explains things. Thanks for fixing that so fast!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Let me tell you ALL the PC games I've purchased in the past... 5 years:

1. Breath of Death VII
2. Cthulhu Saves the World
3. VVVVVV
4. Trails in the Sky SC

... so yeah, I'm NOT a PC gamer by any standards. But seeing how I've already enjoyed 2 of their games, this seems like a no brainer. I think I'll go at it this weekend!

Artanisix

I know Amirox has already gone into this, but the combat in this game is actually brilliant. It's probably one of the best, most creative combat systems in an RPG ever.

hongcha

Bought it on Ps4 !

For 20$, it look really good, since the time i heard about that game, and i will also buy physical when LGR will release it. And your message was really touching, i can't encourage you enough, Ive made my part, i'm really looking foward to see a future success of this game. Can't wait to play it (still downloading)

Edit: breaking bug right at the first screen in the game, don't use "battle" on the first screen, have to close application to put back the normal filter of the game...

Edit 2: Now the game just froze after a battle in front of the first boss fight......hmmm ok......... i discover the problem, this is the poison glitch....,

Edit 3 : Game froze after a retry, only one ennemie re-appear then it crashed.... this 3 game breaking bug in just 30 minutes of playtimes....I can repeat that crash, kill the first guard, then lose the fight, then retry.... it crashed.

edit 4: I'm out... just start the first boss fight after grinding for 1 level, the combat animation start, no music, just froze... Do something guys, this is way too buggy.

edit 5 : here we go.... close the application, reload save file.... always crash when starting boss fight..... amazing 1 hour lost....

I'm on 1.01....

Yikes. I'm eager to play this but I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out.

Artanisix

Just ran into a bug on PC (didn't lose too much progress thankfully). Brought a mob down to like 20 hp with a character right before it was the monster's turn to attack. Monster ran up, attacked one of my units, and then died to a poison tick. All monsters dead but combat wouldn't end, had to force close.

Pretty decent spot to stop for the night I think, about 2.5 hours in. SUPER good game aside from that bug.

Hobbun

Bought it on Ps4 !

I'm on 1.01....

Ugh...

Is anyone else having this much issue?

Burt

Thanks!

Well, long story short, it’s excellent. I think it’s fair to say it’s essentially everything you would hope for with the pitch of “Two devs with a modern take on a Chrono Trigger-style JRPG in 2017”

First and foremost, I cannot overstate how much I like the combat system. I don’t want to misalign expectations too terribly, so I’ll preface things by saying that I’m much more partial to the strategic/tactical aspects of RPG combat than the flashing of huge numbers and intricate spell effects. With that in mind, I can’t think of a JRPG battle system I’ve liked better. Maybe a few that I like to an indistinguishably similar degree (Grandia 1 and 2 spring to mind), but I really can’t think of any I liked more, and CSH’s is so different from my other favorites that it’s hard to imagine a comparison as anything better than apples to oranges.

You’re not going to be able to mash your way through the CSH’s combat, at least not on Heroine difficulty. But that’s okay! Encounter pacing and variety is fantastic, and there are no respawns (unless you want them). Instead, with the way combat works, you have to consciously decide what you’re going to do, and getting there is basically a great optimization puzzle of attacks, defenses, buffs, debuffs, turn order, and Hyper. It sounds like a lot, but it boils down to, “This enemy has that weakness, so what’s the best way to get Party Member X to do Attack Y on Turn Z?” -- applied across however many enemies and and party members are in battle. It’s a refreshing change from the mundanity of typical regular encounter combat, and has about as much depth as any system I’ve seen without any of the extraneous or superfluous bloat that’s present in so many other JRPGs.

Speaking of party members, they’re all pretty fantastic as well. Each has their own distinct combat niche and support capabilities, which means that regardless of your party, everyone’s always able to find a use, particularly as your gear and ability options expand. Characters you initially think are terrible become world-breakers with the right skill or piece of equipment if you can figure out how to work them in the right way - which you’ll have ample opportunity to do, because the game isn’t afraid to lock a specific character or two into your party at regular intervals. There isn’t an overabundance of it or anything, just a bit more than you see in most JRPGs, but whereas in most others it feels like you’re having garbage thrust upon your party, because everyone’s so versatile and viable here it feels more like a well-timed curveball to keep you from settling in too deep on one set group of characters.

The writing in the game - the characters, the story, the dialogue, the little quips you get about each enemy as you target them, and so on and so forth - is good. It’s not going to change how you look at JRPG writing, but the game has a rock-solid understanding of its tone and delivers on it very well. I liked all the characters (/disliked the ones I was supposed to dislike), chuckled a bunch, laughed out loud a few times, and the serious side of the story was well done in that JRPG/anime-y way. I think it's easily the most well-written out of any of Zeboyd's games -- although I'm sure a part of that is just them being able to scale back on Penny Arcade's constant need to be Penny Arcade.

The pacing of the story, and the game overall, is superb. It’s propulsive, always pushing you into reaching new environments, meeting new characters, giving you a valuable equipment upgrade, getting you through a comfy Chrono Trigger-esque dungeon at just the right time, etc. And there are definitely a few moments where I did something like this. That being said, there’s definitely a healthy amount of interesting side content for players who poke around as well, which I don’t want to get into for spoiler reasons. But it’s good, it’s funny, it’s referential, it’s rewarding, and, occasionally, the most difficult stuff in the game.

Overall, because absolutely literally everyone loves numbers so much, the game is an easy call for the 9.0-9.5 range. There are a lot of games of all genres coming out these days that try to recapture that ‘old game’ magic, but very few of them have managed to balance classic elements and modern refinements as well what you get here.

I have a save 10 hours into Trails of the Sky FC that I put on hold to play this for. I’m more inclined to play this again on Super-Spy difficulty than to go back to that.

Bladenic

Just did the intro and have to sleep but I like it so far. Combat seems to have lots of potential and the tunes are bumping so far.

I'm sure tons of people mentioned this but the word enemy is misspelled on Alyssa's Drown skill.

Can't wait to play more.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hard crash right as I struck the final blow in the
giant mech/kaiju fight
in Chapter 5. Guess that's enough for the night.

Bought it on Ps4 !

I'm on 1.01....

This is scaring me from pulling the trigger. Was going to buy when I got home but I keep reading about all these bugs and glitches. Not sure I want to pay to beta test a game even if it's getting great impressions here. I love the other retro style rpgs this studio has put out but I'm hesitant to hand money over for something that has so many technical issues.

Any clue on when a PS4 patch will come out?

Skulldead

I have had 0 of these issues in four hours of gameplay.

Every bug that i have encounter so far (other then poison one that easy to replicate too) seem to be relate to the Battle option command. There is a lot of graphical bug where i see enemies that randomly walk in the background during fight. Or ennemies sprite re-appear on the map, and never disapear even if i change screen. I have to always close application to make thing back to normal, quit to main menu and reload save file change nothing.

But now my savefile is totally screw.... i go on a boss fight.... it just freeze there in battle animation, every single time. Right now i don't want to play anymore to always fear i going to losses my saves file again... Patch the battle option, it's totally way to buggy.

Edit; so far i love what I saw, the battle system is amazing so far, but do something...

Ugh...

Is anyone else having this much issue?

Steam version here. I only played it for 70 minutes, but I found lots of bugs: The game freezes when I try to change resolutions, using Battle in the first area causes many glitches and kind of ruined my save file and a few other issues.

The game looks very, very good and I'm sure it will run like a dream after a few patches, so I'm not asking for a refund, but for now I'll play some other stuff. When it's patched, I'll come back and start again.

Ricker

Not a big deal or gameplay related but I noticed nothing for the game shows up in the "What's New" section on PS4. Does not show anyone played it for the first time or when trophies have unlocked.

Nice catch...its kind of important if you have friends on PSN...when I try a new game,I get a few messages of people asking me if its fun etc etc...whats missing I think underneath the overview is the activity tab so thats why nothing is appearing under ''What's new''...giving it a thumbs up and a good rating is also good for the community to see.Not sure who's fault it is but should be looked at :)

Zero bugs for me in my first 3 hours on PS4 Pro. NPC double talk was aggravating glad to see it will be patched. Great game! Way better than I thought it was going to be. Battle system is really fun.

Are there any ultimate bosses, secret dungeons etc?

Kensuke

The game does seem sensitive to crashes, especially when opening the menu in old rooms you can backtrack to. Here is one I was able to replicate:

In the jungle factory after Alyssa and the other 2 members join back up after being separated I backtracked to the room where you beat the big boss for the first time.
Opening the menu in that room crashes the game. Out of curiosity I went back and replicated it 3 times. Playing on PS4.

I'm about an hour in so far. Love the battle system, music and general aesthetic of the game. All the bugs are worrying me though. I'm playing on PS4 and the double talk bug is super annoying and makes me want to ignore conversations. I also had a bug where after Chanh and Dave joined my party, they were still in their original places in the base (there were two of them).

Going to wait on patching before I continue. It's a stellar game but the bugs are troublesome.

Played just past the first boss last night

Pros

- Nice pacing! Game feels very zippy and to the point!

- Great Combat and I havent even scratched the full depth of it yet

- Love the environment art. Really nice

Cons

- There is distinct lack of... satisfaction to using attacks and abilities in combat. Not enough OOOMPF. It benefits combat speed for sure but you could add some heavier animation and catchy sound effects. Add some razzle dazzle and some bone crunching, screen shakes, slow downs. I dunno

- Text boxes and font. Minor nitpick since im sure minimalism was intentional. Feels cheap though.

- Character portraits. Way to blown up and show the lack of fine details.

Thats all i got for knee jerk first impressions. Cant really comment on characters and story since that opening is just so fast and not really enough to build a write up on.

Im looking forward to diving in for more!

Amir0x

Banned
I've been pretty lucky with the bugs. One time the game froze right after I fought that boss in chapter 2 and get separated from friends, and every so often when I have an item on my character that lets them go into battle with hyper already active it'll randomly go into battle w/out it active anyway. Happens most when I use the "Battle" command.

jb1234

Gave the first ten minutes a try. I like what I've played so far but the game doesn't appear to like the PS4 controller much. The D-Pad doesn't work at all and the confirm button is mapped to the square button, which is driving me crazy. I don't see any way to remap the buttons either.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a bonehead. The PC did an unwanted restart on me and I forgot to restart InputMapper, haha.

Skulldead

Tell me how to replicate it because I haven't been able to so far.

Use a poison item second guard (third encounter into the game) (i don't think it change something but it's equip on third slot of item, no item on slot 2), kill him right before his turn to attack. The party will get back to location where battle command was initiate, but will freeze in battle stance. Only happen when use Battle command option in menu.

Also i want to precise i didn't use 1.00 save for 1.01 version. I had directly the 1.01 version.

I've been pretty lucky with the bugs. One time the game froze right after I fought that boss in chapter 2 and get separated from friends, and every so often when I have an item on my character that lets them go into battle with hyper already active it'll randomly go into battle w/out it active anyway. Happens most when I use the "Battle" command.

Look like Battle command is super buggy.... it sad i play on the harder difficulty and i have to grind. Seem to be the source of all my game crashes.

Kensuke

This has happened to me too. I could replicate it with the enemy in the factory that summons 2 helicopter enemies. At the start of the battle he summons them and the hyper goes away from Alyssa.

Amneisac

Yeah....

Gonna wait for a few more patches before diving in.

Thanks for the update, please make sure to keep us posted and let us know when you finally decide to purchase, we'll be waiting with baited breath.

Robert, keep your head up, man. I know it's been a tough road, and there have been some issues, but you've created something pretty awesome. Not a lot of people can say the same.

Top Bottom