• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Honestly, if I was able to do it over again, I would have asked for more money and made a completely different game that would have been smaller in size, scope & ambition. Either that or just given up on game development entirely. I think Cosmic Star Heroine is an excellent game and I'm glad people are enjoying it, but all the years of stress & money problems were too much. And then to have all the launch issues with the Steam version going up late, the PS4 version not getting patched with the pre-release patch, review codes not coming out before launch, etc. And I still don't know if the game's going to sell well enough to pay off development costs, much less support my family while I work on another game or find a better job.

This is absolutely heartbreaking, doubly so since I'm making an Unity game myself so I very painfully relate :(. I don't know what to say other than you're one of my favorite posters on GAF, that Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star II and IV are some of my favorite games of all time, and that me and a friend of mine I've shown the game to will buy it as soon as it's released on the EU PSN, and I will continue to spread the word of mouth. If there's anything else I could do for you, don't hesitate to ask.

peakish

Got past the lab, it's a really fun game so far. Died a couple of times (playing on Heroine) but have never failed a second fight. Definitely feels like you're learning how to engage and plan your turns in a clever way. I still don't really know what style does though.

The cutscenes are gorgeous btw. And the music is great.

trikster40

This one has been on my radar for a while. After reading about some of the bugs, I decided to hold off a bit.

However, after seeing Robert on here communicating with people and the care he puts into what he does, I'm grabbing it now just to support him and his work.

Kudos, Robert! It's nice to see this kind of dedication and care these days.

neoemonk

Does anyone know the path to the save file on PC? I want to keep it synced across my laptop and PC and can't seem to find it.

Honestly, if I was able to do it over again, I would have asked for more money and made a completely different game that would have been smaller in size, scope & ambition. Either that or just given up on game development entirely. I think Cosmic Star Heroine is an excellent game and I'm glad people are enjoying it, but all the years of stress & money problems were too much. And then to have all the launch issues with the Steam version going up late, the PS4 version not getting patched with the pre-release patch, review codes not coming out before launch, etc. And I still don't know if the game's going to sell well enough to pay off development costs, much less support my family while I work on another game or find a better job.

You guys have made an excellent game and ive been telling everyone I know to get on this as it is an authentic 16-32 bit golden age rpg experience. Hopefully word of mouth does wonders for you cuz it deserves to be played by all :)

Big Chungus

I found a bug after killing the
lab experiment(1st encounter)
boss where I wasn't able to do anything when entering the next room, I had to close the game and reload my save, then the game loaded the cutscene

Teppic

I'm not sure what difficulty level I should choose. I want the game to be Persona 5 normal hard if that's any help.

I'm not sure what difficulty level I should choose. I want the game to be Persona 5 normal hard if that's any help.

I've been playing on Heroine and it seems like a nicely balanced difficulty. It's challenging, but always feels manageable. I'm about 3 hours in for what it's worth, so things could change.

Amir0x

Banned
Got past the lab, it's a really fun game so far. Died a couple of times (playing on Heroine) but have never failed a second fight. Definitely feels like you're learning how to engage and plan your turns in a clever way. I still don't really know what style does though.

The cutscenes are gorgeous btw. And the music is great.

From what I can tell, style does the following:

+ The higher the style, the more effective abilities like Charm, Poison, Disarm, Rust etc will be... higher chance of infecting enemy with it, I believe. Style goes up to 300%, but most of that is just "reserve." I believe it only gives bonuses to abilities up to 100%, from what I understand. Robert can correct me if I'm wrong.

+ You need 50% style to be able to go into desperation mode (100% style for Super Spy), so you don't automatically die when your HP drops below 0. This is very important especially on tougher difficulties, since you will be entering desperation often.

+ Certain "Burst" abilities will spend all your style points at once.

Dezzy

Is it pretty safe to play through this on PS4 now without any major bugs? Or should I wait it out for one more patch?

Brashnir

Obviously, we're trying to fix all bugs ASAP, but I just wanted to put it on the record that grinding is completely optional even on the highest difficulty. I beat Super-Spy without grinding at all.

Looking forward to seeing the game completely shattered by speedrunners in the future.

Also, I haven't managed to replicate an actual poison bug yet. The bug replication steps that was mentioned a little earlier in this thread wasn't related to poison at all but was a general issue with the Battle replay command which is now fixed on Steam. PS4 has to wait a little longer since I want to fix some other stuff as well and bundle them all together (it's much more difficult to do patches on PS4 so it's easier to get a bunch of bugs in one go).

I got it a several times after using the Alchemist program followed by the Poison Mist item. The last enemy would die during it's attack and cause a softlock. It happened twice on the same encounter -
In the condemned building/warehouse/whatever between Lauren's apartment and the festival. The two big bug creatures before the room that has the chest with the microphone in it

I ended up replacing poison mist in my items, despite it being really effective - especially combined with Alchemist.

Amir0x

Banned
Some people have been playing through the PS4 now without issues, but you might want to wait for the next patch since I've fixed a bunch of stuff since then.

This game genuinely is amazing, but this is an example of a developer who deserves the success above and beyond what the game's quality calls for. Robert and Bill (I think) has been here consistently answering people's questions, responding to concerns without getting defensive and giving a great amount of insight into the game's development. I hope you guys are seeing sales above your expectations!

This Super Spy run is really crazy how tight you have to play. I'm trying not to grind because Robert said it's possible and damn it I'm moving forward but god I feel like I'm surviving by the skin of my teeth every battle. And it is awesome.

Although I'm coming up to the spot that is super easy to grind on Chap 6 (i think)
when you're on the API Ship and you fight that underwater mech suit. Tons of Experience, and Arete has the one two punch of program "double the next attack damage" and that move that does extra damage to robots specifically. Does like 4,500 damage on this bad boy. Finish in the second turn.
Will resist temptation!

Amir0x

Banned
Steam sales are lower than I expected (I don't know what PSN sales are like yet), but I'm hopeful that long-term sales will be good, especially after everything's been patched & positive reviews start coming out.

Maybe it'll do well on PSN, because jRPGs are things people tend to associate more with consoles (whether rightly or wrongly)

I swear to God I will make it my mission to see this game a success. This game is too fucking good. I can dream of a Cosmic Star Heroine 2! I won't let this be my next Tearaway!

Lindsaymv

Just want to say thank you to Robert for being in here and being candid about the frustrations you're currently having. +1 launch copy for EU

neoemonk

Maybe it'll do well on PSN, because jRPGs are things people tend to associate more with consoles (whether rightly or wrongly)

I swear to God I will make it my mission to see this game a success. This game is too fucking good. I can dream of a Cosmic Star Heroine 2! I won't let this be my next Tearaway!

Your enthusiasm is what led me to pick the game up. The dev linked a post of yours in his Twitter so I snatched it up. I was planning on getting it eventually but you really pushed me to pull the trigger.

Amir0x

Banned
Your enthusiasm is what led me to pick the game up. The dev linked a post of yours in his Twitter so I snatched it up. I was planning on getting it eventually but you really pushed me to pull the trigger.

oh haha. I pimped it on my twitter I didn't know they linked to a post though! That's cool! I'm honored :D

I'm currently compiling a new version for Steam so that'll be up very soon. I'm going to try to get a new version up on PSN tomorrow.

Here are all the patch notes so far (Steam version):

v1.03 (this one will be going up very soon)
Enemy auto-death at start of battle bug fixed
Psybe sidequest boss fixed
Miscellaneous map fixes
Fixed an issue where ally characters may stop animating
Fix for Alyssa's Speed Stick not always giving hyper on your first turn
Kevin no longer appears on the ship before being recruited
Framerate capped at 60 (testing to see if this fixes the party following lag bug)

v1.02 (April 13, 2017)
Fixed a bug with the Battle command (for replaying battles) that sometimes would cause bad stuff to happen.

v1.01 (April 12, 2017):
Removed a glitch where Chahn & Dave could appear as NPCs in the Agency HQ after joining your party.
Fixed a possible freeze that sometimes occurs soon after the first lab boss.
Fixed a bug where you could leave Gehenna through the south exit before the Nightshade scenario sequence-breaking the game and leading to major issues later.
Fixed an issue where you could get into an unfinished sidequest that we were planning on releasing later in a free update.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm currently compiling a new version for Steam so that'll be up very soon. I'm going to try to get a new version up on PSN tomorrow.

Here are all the patch notes so far (Steam version):

v1.03 (this one will be going up very soon)

Fix for Alyssa's Speed Stick not always giving hyper on your first turn

Fixed a possible freeze that sometimes occurs soon after the first lab boss.

That fixes two of the few issues I've had bug wise so far. Other than the enemy reaction animations to damage and such, which I didn't even know was an issue until Bill said it. Then I started noticing it :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
888e2c732f1e7f3d45e2bf64b25549f9.gif

Psh, Shadow Hearts combat wheel was freaking awesome :p

Also about how long is this? Average Snes rpg length or a bit longer?

Robaperas

I've only experienced the one when the game softlocks during an encounter, and have to alt+f4 it. Other than that, some bosses feel easier than 3+ enemy encounters on Heroine difficulty, which is not a bug :p

Amir0x

Banned

15-20 hours.

By the way Robert, is that one NPC in the backyard at Enzo's supposed to say:
"Placeholder."

I didn't know if I was missing the joke, but I think not because
it doesn't even show the NPC's name like everyone else is "Man" or "Woman" or "Kevin"

I've only experienced the one when the game softlocks during an encounter, and have to alt+f4 it. Other than that, some bosses feel easier than 3+ enemy encounters on Heroine difficulty, which is not a bug :p

I think they just fixed that softlock in the latest patch, at least on Steam.

15-20 hours.

"Placeholder."

it doesn't even show the NPC's name like everyone else is "Man" or "Woman" or "Kevin"

Nope, that's a glitch. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Burt

15-20 hours.

"Placeholder."

There's another one on
Nuluup
-
After you clear your name, or at least some time before the end, if you go back to the police chief his dialogue is also Placeholder'd.

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but any news on a GOG.com release? Would love to pick this up there if at all possible!

So hopefully the fix for the repeating dialog comes in the future. Sometimes it feels like Im stuck in a 3 or 4 loop of it.

Also a wierd stutter effect happens on a very, very rare occasion.

Otherwise no problems and the game continues to wow. Anyone care to spoil mark how many chapter there are?

Also damn the rock,paper, scissor game. Lol

Shadow Hearts is one of my fav RPG's. Love the battle system.
Also, really loved Legend of Legaia.

Edit: I also bought two copies of this game. 1 for me on PS4 since I wanted to remote play, and gifted to a friend on Steam.

Amir0x

Banned
Also damn the rock,paper, scissor game. Lol

I love logic puzzles. Did you figure it out? I figured it out but I stupidly forgot i needed to
choose the opposite of each selection
. Took me a minute to remember it was rock/paper/scissors and that's why my answers kept being wrong lol

VandalD

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but any news on a GOG.com release? Would love to pick this up there if at all possible!
I don't think they're planning on releasing on GOG. None of their previous games are there. And for what it's worth, this game seems to be able to launch independent of Steam, so it technically doesn't have DRM.

I love logic puzzles. Did you figure it out? I figured it out but I stupidly forgot i needed to
. Took me a minute to remember it was rock/paper/scissors and that's why my answers kept being wrong lol

I left the area on accident. Hope I can go back. I was ready with paper and pencil. Lol also found all the items for the little scavenager hunt. Hope Im still super early in the game cause it feels like I could be decently in with how much stuff is constantly happening and changing. Pacing is just insanely well paced.

That night club song, sounded lile partially english and something else? Couldnt put my finger on it.

Brashnir

yeah, I had to get out a pen and paper to do that one.

slash000

Zeboyd Games

I don't think they're planning on releasing on GOG. None of their previous games are there. And for what it's worth, this game seems to be able to launch independent of Steam, so it technically doesn't have DRM.

We're going to release on GOG, we're in the process of all of that.

Amir0x

Banned
I left the area on accident. Hope I can go back. I was ready with paper and pencil. Lol also found all the items for the little scavenager hunt. Hope Im still super early in the game cause it feels like I could be decently in with how much stuff is constantly happening and changing. Pacing is just insanely well paced.

That night club song, sounded lile partially english and something else? Couldnt put my finger on it.

Definitely was partially English, the last phrase in every line was sung in English practically. Couldnt tell the other half lol.

You can go back to the festival later, no worries. If you just left that area, you have plenty of game left.

Definitely was partially English, the last phrase in every line was sung in English practically. Couldnt tell the other half lol.

You can go back to the festival later, no worries. If you just left that area, you have plenty of game left.

Yep just stopped right after something happened at that location. Good to know.

Top Bottom