• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Square Triangle said:
Quick question on my progression
I just finished the Mall and forgot to go back to the costume contest, will I be able to return to it?
Yes, you will.

Just beat it. And while Halloween may be over with I really recommend this to anyone, was extremely enjoyable and Double Fine's cute sense of humor never gets old.

Owzers

Really had to stock up on HP/Dodge gear for the last bosses, my brute force strategy failed me badly. While the game was really cute, the battles weren't fulfilling for the most part, especially the constant barrage of regular fights.

Ricker

I thought it was awesome...my team for the last section:

Ninja with an auto resurrect,Statue of Liberty because of Anthem and the regular (blue guy)with a high chance of crit)

I want a XMas quest,Easter quest,Thanksgiving quest etc etc :lol ,loved it.

kai3345

Banned
Ricker said:
I thought it was awesome...my team for the last section:

Ninja with an auto resurrect,Statue of Liberty because of Anthem and the regular (blue guy)with a high chance of crit)

I want a XMas quest,Easter quest,Thanksgiving quest etc etc :lol ,loved it.

mine was
Mech with ressurect, Ninja with counterattack, and Unicorn, but I can't remember which stamp.

Ferny

I've only played maybe an hour or so but the game is really great. It's cute and everything but you can feel the Double Fine humor shining in the the dialogue and story. I can't wait to see the other downloadable games they come out with.

I went all out offense for my final team, their special moves were all about damage:

Jack O Lantern with crit attack extra damage, Robot with counterattack, and Spaceman with auto regen

My final team:

Wren - French Fries w/ Bowl of Bloodshot Eyeballs
Everett - Ninja w/ Disembodied Six-Fingered Hand
Lucy - Vampire w/ Headless Banshee

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
How do you save in this game? I've been in two battles and no save yet.

Also does this game work like JRPGs? Because I'm really interested in JRPGs then.

OMG Aero

subversus said:
How do you save in this game? I've been in two battles and no save yet.

Also does this game work like JRPGs? Because I'm really interested in JRPGs then.
This really annoyed me about this game, there is no way to save. You have to rely on the game autosaving, which usually happens when a quest is completed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
OMG Aero said:
This really annoyed me about this game, there is no way to save. You have to rely on the game autosaving, which usually happens when a quest is completed.

That's really lame.

not posted yet?

CQ will already get an addon in December: "Grubbins on Ice", featuring a winter setting.
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/costumequestgrubbinsonice/news.html?sid=6284244&mode=previews

I hope it will be cheap though...

also a patch:
The new downloadable content comes with a patch that will fix some of the performance issues in the original game, as well as add in a few new features, such as the ability to pause during cutscenes and save your game at designated phone posts.

Cute game, although I very well nearly beat it 100% in a single sitting. The only reason I'm stopping at the last boss fight is because it's late and I have to work tomorrow. That said I don't think Costume Quest too short or that it was not worth the fifteen dollars. It's a rare game that can hold my attention for the three or four hours I've been playing Costume Quest straight. I've enjoyed every minute of it. If the dlc is worth it, I'll pick it up. Definitely going to keep my eyes open for the next Double Fine dd game. Hopefully once they're all released, all four games will get put on a disc.

Beat the game tonight, Costume Quest now holds the dubious distinction of being the very first game I've ever collected all of the trophies/achievements for. the end boss was kind of annoying, it wiped me out twice. All it seemed to take was the right combination of costumes and battlestamps rather than how well I worked the combat system, meaning getting every attack and defense bonus. That's really the only nitpick I have, overall it was an enjoyable experience and I'll likely be grabbing whatever dlc they put out for this game as well as Stacking.

Go, go Team Double Fine.

Danielsan

Had this game sitting on my 360 since launch day. Finally decided to play it today and could not stop until I finished. Fantastic little game. Great setting, style and humor. It's been several weeks since I enjoyed playing a game and I was almost worried that I perhaps lost my ability to enjoy games at all. This game dispelled that fear. :D

I will definitely continue supporting Double Fine by purchasing the winter expansion as well as Stacking.

r1chard

This is a great little game. My daughter (7) has loved playing it - I suspect I'd play through it in no time but she's been mucking around for a few days.

Looking forward to the extra content.

Is there anything out there like it? Penny Arcade is no go thanks to the adult themes/content.

WEGGLES

r1chard said:
This is a great little game. My daughter (7) has loved playing it - I suspect I'd play through it in no time but she's been mucking around for a few days.

Looking forward to the extra content.

Is there anything out there like it? Penny Arcade is no go thanks to the adult themes/content.
If she's enjoyed mucking around in that game, she might like Animal Crossing. It's like Costume Quest with out the combat. :lol

burgerdog

Was the dlc released today? I saw it in the marketplace(and bought it, of course) before heading to work. Won't be able to play it until I get home, so if someone else plays it, impressions, please!

burgerdog said:
Was the dlc released today? I saw it in the marketplace(and bought it, of course) before heading to work. Won't be able to play it until I get home, so if someone else plays it, impressions, please!

?!?! Motherfucker! We need confirmation on this NOW!

So its alittle bigger than one section in the old game so I guess the 400 price makes sense, but should I dl it when I still need to finish the last game? I got alittle way into the fairground but it has bug fixes and stuff for this version aswell. Hmmmmmm

Ricker

I think it starts you off where you left out level wise(I was max level 10,not sure if you are level 8 if you start level 8)but you can choose to start just the DLC so i`m guessing it`s a level 10 start for everyone, but it also gave me all the costumes from the first,even those I hadn`t found...anyway it`s the same goodness as the first,they also added a spot where you can save anytime and more auto saves it seems...you start with the Transformer suit,the Dragon Age suit(that`s what I call it hehe) and the astronaut suit in your party of 3...just played about 30 minutes but it has all the little things that made the first one good,down to the little jokes...``ooooh a quarter`` :lol ;)

Do you need the DLC to get the improved save system they were talking about? I stalled out in the last zone because I got frustrated that I couldn't save easily, so I'd love to go back and finish the game and move on to the DLC!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
oddworld18 said:
Do you need the DLC to get the improved save system they were talking about? I stalled out in the last zone because I got frustrated that I couldn't save easily, so I'd love to go back and finish the game and move on to the DLC!

The free title update puts save points in the game, no need to purchase the DLC.

Also, the title update allows you to press "X" (or circle I guess on PS3) to pause cut scenes so you can read the dialog easier.

Actually, I think the DLC release was intentional. Double Fine posted a topic about on their official forum.

They said the PSN version was submitted/approved too, they are just waiting for Sony to put it out. :(

Edit: The update to the game is apparently causing some bugs.

bathala

Banned
finished it.
it was ok. I know its a DLC, but I was expecting more. I think there needs to be more varied side missions
the ending opens alot possibilities.

Beat Grubbins on Ice last night. It was more of the same and I agree, the side missions need to be more varied. I still loved it, though. The eyeball costume's battle special is awesome.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Costume Quest is my downloadable GOTY. The DLC, although short, was inexpensive and a lot of fun. I really hope they have a sequel/sequels planned for the future.

Curufinwe

I just bought and downloaded Grubbins on Ice on PSN, but how do you access it exactly?

It's a Christmas present for my wife and I didn't play the original game at all, so I'm not sure if the game I'm seeing after clicking "Continue" is Grubbins or regular Costume Quest. Also, this must be the first game I've downloaded on PSN that didn't require an install.

[EDIT] Nevermind, you just have to select Start New Game and pick Grubbins on Ice. I assumed because it was DLC that it would be accessed by Continuing on from an old save game.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/3973/

Corto

Just found a bug... :( I'm stuck with the French Fries costume because the lure ability is not working properly. I've searched and it seems to be well spread out and it was caused by a game update. As of now there is no solution other than to start a new game........... I was enjoying the game, but not that much. What a pity! Maybe latter on I'll gather the time and will to begin a new game but for now this certainly has damaged Double Fine's image for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game is like hot and cold for me. I really love the feel and concept and general light hearted approach to everything, but the core RPG gameplay is some of the weakest I've experienced in the genre and there's virtually no customization to speak of. Battles require no strategy at all.

The whole personality of the game is spot on, though. Genuinely funny dialogue and quests so it's a little difficult not to break down that cynicism. Shame about that gameplay, though...

C-Jo

Corto said:
Just found a bug... :( I'm stuck with the French Fries costume because the lure ability is not working properly. I've searched and it seems to be well spread out and it was caused by a game update. As of now there is no solution other than to start a new game........... I was enjoying the game, but not that much. What a pity! Maybe latter on I'll gather the time and will to begin a new game but for now this certainly has damaged Double Fine's image for me.
I'm stuck at the same part as well. Kind of a kick in the dick.

Corto said:

me too. I'm done buying their games if they dont patch this, because I bought the expansion to costume quest and dont want to play it until I finish the original. But as of now, I have to restart - and its not a game with the depth to support that - what was cute would be very boring I imagine. Fail.

Top Bottom