• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
New map from the creators of Cache: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/07/b...e-next-big-counter-strike-go-competitive-map/

I really hope Valve just works out a deal and adds both maps to standard comp, it would would be annoying to wait until the next operation to play it

Realistically, Crown will probably have to spend time in an Operation or two before Valve purchases it. On the plus side, though, Operations mean more money for the creators and more exposure for the map.

Coming from a TF2 background, it's really interesting to see how different and similar Valve's process of making maps official is, similar in the sense that, in both games, maps are extensively community stress-tested across different iterations before being made official, different in how Valve approaches the maps pre-officialization (community servers vs. Valve Operations).

soultron

Banned
FMPONE is a god among mappers. I'm psyched for this. As a level designer, I enjoy reading stuff from other mappers detailing their creative process. Gonna be a fun series to read.

Realistically, Crown will probably have to spend time in an Operation or two before Valve purchases it. On the plus side, though, Operations mean more money for the creators and more exposure for the map.

Coming from a TF2 background, it's really interesting to see how different and similar Valve's process of making maps official is, similar in the sense that, in both games, maps are extensively community stress-tested across different iterations before being made official, different in how Valve approaches the maps pre-officialization (community servers vs. Valve Operations).

Remember when they used to just toss in whatever nonsense was popular at the time? That's how we got hoodoo and junction.

And I got back to Gold Nova 3, hopefully for real this time. I have no idea how many kills and wins it's going to take to rank up again.

soultron

Banned
I just got ranked for the first time.

What would you guys consider Silver Elite Master?

Not bad! Top of the lowest of the three "brackets":

1361434446.0784.jpeg

Oreoleo

I just got ranked for the first time.

What would you guys consider Silver Elite Master?

That's pretty average if you've never really played counter-strike before. Definitely a good starting point.

You're gonna get matched with a lot of bad players though (silver 3-4) so if you wanna get beyond say nova 1 get in the habit of adding people from games who seem decent and communicate well to your friends list or else people who go like 5-19 will just bring your games down.

Stage 2 of Hoodoo is like Aztec: easy as fuck to defend, hard as fuck to take.
hoodoo comes from the same school of map design as goldrush cap 3 and the entirety of dustbowl. Flanking routes are mediocre to nonexistent, and offense wins through attrition and brute force ubers.

The silver ranks basically mean you understand what Counter-Strike is, and then you need to actually learn how to play it to advance through Gold. I can't tell you how to do that because that's where I am.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just played my first competitive GO match after playing CS on and off for ~8 years. We tied! Ha, this game is starting to click. Watched a bunch of tutorials and tips videos too.

Any hints if Valve will add maps to Arms Race? Any recs for community/workshop maps that are active? Tried a couple from the workshop, but was always alone.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, max 2 defuse kits?! That's insane, but I kinda want a separate mode for that now!

Two random CTs getting defuse kits, rather than allowing each CT to purchase one if they wish - that's a part of the beta I definitely don't miss.

As I recall, that got changed relatively quickly.

KiKaL

I see some fellow Gold Novas looking for games. I am a GNM and my Steam name is the same as my GAF name. Add me if you are looking for someone to play with.

soultron

Banned
I'll definitely be playing this weekend when I get a replacement mic. Gold Nova 1 right now. I'm still learning how to play properly in a competitve setting. I also don't know too many competitive maps well enough yet, but I'm OKish on Dust2.

Searching soultron on Steam should get me. Posting my stat page again for kicks.

Omega

Banned
Ended up playing some casual last night before bed, actually had fun.

It was on Motel, and everyone should know how awful of a map that is, so a few of my teammates weren't taking it serious and used Tec 9s.

Eventually, for the remainder of that map and the next two, terrorists only used Tec 9 while CT had AWPs, Pro90s and all that good stuff. We still ended up winning lol

I love this.

I still don't understand the reasoning behind the chickens in CSGO.

There used to be chickens on italy in CS. They were gone in CS Source, and now there are more than ever to compensate.

One thing I actually miss from CSS is the ragdoll. People just flopped over when they died, now headshots cause people to backflip all over the place.

Ilúvatar

Got my Silver Phoenix coin just now, if my connection continues to be good I'll have Gold in no time!

Also got accused of hacking and smurfing in one match after I aced the pistol round hehe...

soultron

Banned
Ilúvatar;104101086 said:
Got my Silver Phoenix coin just now, if my connection continues to be good I'll have Gold in no time!

Also got accused of hacking and smurfing in one match after I aced the pistol round hehe...

What was the requirement? 25 comp wins?

Omega

Banned
Does anyone follow the competitive Counter Strike scene?

Just curious because nearly every other video game tournament gets a thread on here, but I've never seen one for Counter Strike unless it's part of a bigger event like Dreamhack, but those threads are usually just SC2 guys.

Oreoleo

Just curious because nearly every other video game tournament gets a thread on here, but I've never seen one for Counter Strike unless it's part of a bigger event like Dreamhack, but those threads are usually just SC2 guys.

I'm surprised no one has posted about Katowice to be honest, considering it starts in like 3 hours. I watched the ESEA LAN finals and some of the Katowice qualifiers and find it a lot of fun. I wasn't playing CSGO back in December so I missed Dreamhack and I'm hoping I can catch as much of this as possible, but starting at 8am local time is sort of working against me D:

Omega

Banned
I'm surprised no one has posted about Katowice to be honest, considering it starts in like 3 hours. I watched the ESEA LAN finals and some of the Katowice qualifiers and find it a lot of fun. I wasn't playing CSGO back in December so I missed Dreamhack and I'm hoping I can catch as much of this as possible, but starting at 8am local time is sort of working against me D:

Yeah, that's what seemed weird to me. Final Round (fighting game tournament) has had a thread up since Monday I believe. Katowice starts in less than 3 hours and nothing.

Maybe I'll work on some banners or something for the next big CS event.

Aerocrane

Competitive Counter-Strike scene isn't as big as SC2 in terms of big tournaments (Or there's less of an following on NeoGAF).

Also other than Dreamhack, I think the only SC2 tournament threads are for WCS and Proleague and they aren't particularly active. The fighting game community seems more active than the other "E-sports", so they are bound to have more threads for tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom