• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerocrane

I guess we'll keep discussion to here then. It's weird how the CS GO stream will get a reasonable amount of viewers but very little discussion on Reddit or GAF.

There is always some discussion going on in the GlobalOffensive subreddit, but it seems to be more post-game discussion usually. The subreddit seems to be most active when there's drama in the community.

There's one topic for Katowice though:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/20b0u9/day_1_discussion_ems_one_katowice_2014/

I probably won't be able to watch the matches, but I will try to leave the stream running in background to get the drops :p

There is always some discussion going on in the GlobalOffensive subreddit, but it seems to be more post-game discussion usually. The subreddit seems to be most active when there's drama in the community.

There's one topic for Katowice though:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/20b0u9/day_1_discussion_ems_one_katowice_2014/

I probably won't be able to watch the matches, but I will try to leave the stream running in background to get the drops :p

Doing a bit of both in work personally. Probably end up just watching a lot of it, should be a slow day.

CoolS

So if i watch on twitch with my account linked to steam I can get drops right? Still seems so weird to me that that should actually work. ^^

cHinzo

Who is the female commentator on the main ESL stream? I recognize Kaplan from LoL but I've never seen her before.

Lauren 'Pansy' Scott. She joined ESL last summer.

Watchin the VP vs Hellraisers game atm and dafuq happened to Markeloff? Even his AWP looks off.

soultron

Banned
One of the things I've often felt was hard to understand when watching CS competitive play is where each player is at all times, how this fits into the larger strategy, and what choices inform smart play.

Now that I've started to play competitive myself, and have barely scratched the surface of how to play proper CS, I'm starting to become interested in things like Katowice, but I still find it's hard to understand what's going on in any given match. I get the basics, but certain things (wall bang on a map like Nuke, for instance, and why players will give away their positions by trying to do it) still confuse me.

Does anyone else find it tough to watch these big pro tourneys if you're still getting to grips with how to play CS?

One of the things I've often felt was hard to understand when watching CS competitive play is where each player is at all times, how this fits into the larger strategy, and what choices inform smart play.

Now that I've started to play competitive myself, and have barely scratched the surface of how to play proper CS, I'm starting to become interested in things like Katowice, but I still find it's hard to understand what's going on in any given match. I get the basics, but certain things (wall bang on a map like Nuke, for instance, and why players will give away their positions by trying to do it) still confuse me.

Does anyone else find it tough to watch these big pro tourneys if you're still getting to grips with how to play CS?

I've never had any problem with it but I've been playing cs competitively on and off for as long as I've been watching pros. As for why they give away their position? It could be to confuse the enemy, force them to rotate. Or in some cases it could be a case of playing a position you'd not expect, or pushing through a site as CT to come behind. CS is a game of chess and angles.

Omega

Banned

Kind of, but it also helps a lot.

I went from being a Nova 2 for the longest time and I'm a Master Guardian 2 now. I'd probably be a lot higher if I had consistent aim (and if I didn't solo queue. Decoy rushes ftl) but I've learned a lot from these tournaments.

soultron

Banned
Another thing that makes it tough to watch is commentary. I'd rather hear the players communicate instead.

I've gone back and watched no commentary matches where you instead hear the players calling enemies and strats, and that makes so much more sense to me.

Is there an option to watch live tournament coverage that doesn't have commentary?

Another thing that makes it tough to watch is commentary. I'd rather hear the players communicate instead.

I've gone back and watched no commentary matches where you instead hear the players calling enemies and strats, and that makes so much more sense to me.

Is there an option to watch live tournament coverage that doesn't have commentary?

You can join the GOTV server I believe using the client. There is no option on twitch as far as I know.

I think Anders & Semmler http://www.twitch.tv/nipgamingtv do a great job and are a lot better than the pairing on the main stream.

PS. Sad to see Vox lose, thought they put up a good fight.

Titan vs Virtus.Pro or NiP vs LDLC

y2Zwk.gif

Can't watch both in work, already pushing it with one!

Are we posting match results? Or considering them spoilers?

I guess we should spoiler tag them.
NiP looking strong as you'd expect. Titan on the other hand, got a bit demolished! Be interested to see if VP have what it takes on other maps.

Anyone used CS:GO Lounge before, I am altogether lost!

Thorin can be quite outspoken, it's only appropriate he said those racist statements on a show called Unfiltered :p He has great knowledge of the scene so he would be great to have on the analyst desk, but I agree with ESL's decision to remove him.
Thorin is a jack ass. You'd think he'd grow the fuck up. These people are trying to be legitimate and he pulls that kinda shit. Shame.

Aerocrane

Thorin is a jack ass. You'd think he'd grow the fuck up. These people are trying to be legitimate and he pulls that kinda shit. Shame.

When he was on Unfiltered after Dreamhack Winter too he was acting like his usual dickish self. I don't think he took the comments about the sports jerseys he wore at DH well :D
122ac6967d6a90a0l.jpg

It's weird seeing him be in a prominent position at Ongamers, and also being able to consistently act like a complete asshole and make these sorts of comments without being reprimanded in any meaningful way besides this ESL cancellation.

KingKong

So whoever loses this Titan vs Hellraisers match is out of the tournament? Or is there some kind of losers bracket beyond group stages?

HellRaisers is playing really good vs Titan. I'm impressed

Usually it seems to just be Dosia vs 5 people

I've actually never heard of them (were they called something else?) but I recognize markeloff and Andren

Aerocrane

So I somehow missed VeryGames disbanding last year, so they are Titan now?
I hope the American teams play well. I think iBUYPOWER and Fnatic are going to proceed from their group. I haven't really paid any attention to the Dignitas crew though, are they good?

Clydefrog

I've never watched a pro match before. Does each round come down to the wire with like seconds left? Or do they ever do crazy rushes?

edit: can't watch it right now. I'm at work.

cHinzo

I've never watched a pro match before. Does each round come down to the wire with like seconds left? Or do they ever do crazy rushes?

edit: can't watch it right now. I'm at work.

Usually no crazy rushes. They often try to get a pick in the first 45 sec/ 1minute.

Markeloff really stepped up his game against Titans. Very impressive.

KiKaL

Ilúvatar;104235396 said:
Is there some secret to placing bets? My inventory and profile is all public, but when I try to place a bet I never get a message from one of the bots...

I think they are receiving a lot of traffic and Steam is having issues as well. It took me quite a few tries before I actually got to place a bet. Steam community went down for a bit so that didn't help. This is my first time using it too so I don't know if this is normal.

Oreoleo

Are we posting match results? Or considering them spoilers?
Please use spoiler tags, especially once we move in to the finals. Given the time zone differences not everyone will be able to watch live.

Can't believe
Titan lost. Hell raisers made some great plays when it counted. Even won an Eco round. Incredible!

vocab

. I get the basics, but certain things (wall bang on a map like Nuke, for instance, and why players will give away their positions by trying to do it) still confuse me.

Position doesn't mean shit on ct side as long as you dont give it to them for free. It's so heavily CT sided on GO more than 1.6 was. T's have horrendous angles. The reward ratio of getting in free shots and possibly getting a few kills without the enemy ever seeing you is far greater.

In 1.6 you could get 3-4 kills just by spamming lobby from ramp because T side is just sitting outside hut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom