• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously thought Valve's whole pitch for this game was to bring proper competitive matchmaking to Counter-Strike. Now, according to that Reddit post, it seems as though there's no way to even load up a competitive match with a team of 5 players.

That makes me quite sad.

CS Go needs a fully implemented ladder system, ala SC2 or Dota 2.

It's Valve. It's not like they'll stop supporting the game at launch if people have suggestions for future updates.

Nome

It was always a strange design inclusion, to allow a team specific gun to have an optional advantage was unusual. You could pick one up off the floor, but still.
Yeah, but the maps are asymmetrical as well. It's not so much the lack of silencers on M4 that irks me though; it's no silencers at all. If Valve had issue with team imbalance, they should've just put it on team-agnostic gun. Would've preserved the fun of the silencer.

That is terrible news. That pretty much defeats the entire point of CS Go...
Could you explain what a proper matchmaking system would entail? Is it just SC2-style?

TheExodu5

Banned
Prettier graphics and a lobby system that lets me join up with my friends and jump really fast and effortlessly into a default settings server is the point of it for me.

It doesn't let you join up with your friends...at least you're not guaranteed to be on the same team. BTW, you could easily join your friends in Source or 1.6 through your friend's list.

It's Valve. It's not like they'll stop supporting the game at launch if people have suggestions for future updates.

The problem is they really have one chance to win over the competitive CS community. If the product is not up to par at launch, it's going to be really hard to win them over down the road.

hyduK

Banned
It was always a strange design inclusion, to allow a team specific gun to have an optional advantage was unusual. You could pick one up off the floor, but still.

Well competitive games each team would play 15 rounds on each side. So unless you REALLY believe in momentum, it would never really play a part.

feel

It doesn't let you join up with your friends...at least you're not guaranteed to be on the same team. BTW, you could easily join your friends in Source or 1.6 through your friend's list.

The problem is they really have one chance to win over the competitive CS community. If the product is not up to par at launch, it's going to be really hard to win them over down the road.
We're not the competitive type, we just goof around, we don't mind having someone on the opposite team for a few rounds after we enter, it's actually kinda fun. What we don't like is having to browse the server list looking for non-idiotic player counts and rules.

That been said, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, a ranked matchmaking system where 2 balanced teams play each other from round zero like what you're describing should've been there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Competitive players will go where the competition is. Even if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming like with SC2.

Looks like CS:Go is the most played version of CS right now, so that's a thing. Wasn't expecting that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Competitive players will go where the competition is. Even if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming like with SC2.

Looks like CS:Go is the most played version of CS right now, so that's a thing. Wasn't expecting that.

I was. They will go back to which ever they prefer.

Zeppelin

Competitive 1.6 is already dead. No one is hosting 1.6 events any more. I guess Valve money hatted them into only hosting GO tournaments. SK Gaming doesn't even have a Counter-Strike team at the moment. For the first time in over a decade.

Edit: Wait, there's no matchmaking system? Are they insane? How the fuck do they miss something as obvious as that? Am I still supposed to join shitty channels on Quakenet to find other teams to play against? Surely, they gotta be fucking kidding?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Competitive 1.6 is already dead. No one is hosting 1.6 events any more. I guess Valve money hatted them into only hosting GO tournaments. SK Gaming doesn't even have a Counter-Strike team at the moment. For the first time in over a decade.

Edit: Wait, there's no matchmaking system? Are they insane? How the fuck do they miss something as obvious as that? Am I still supposed to join shitty channels on Quakenet to find other teams to play against? Surely, they gotta be fucking kidding?

There is one, it's just not a very good one. I joined a server with 5 the other night, and one didn't even get in because it moved us to a nearly full server.

Wish this ran a bit better on Intel HD graphics. Guess I got spoiled by CS:S running at 200fps on a rock with a string tied around it lol.

Zeppelin

There is one, it's just not a very good one. I joined a server with 5 the other night, and one didn't even get in because it moved us to a nearly full server.

Sounds insane. Absolutely inexcusable. Just take what people are already doing manually in IRC channels and automatize it. If there's a dev reading this: send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly how to do it.

garath

All I want is a list of servers running classic competitive rules with classic maps. It's tough scrolling through hundreds of modded servers to find that gem.

Randdalf

I seriously thought Valve's whole pitch for this game was to bring proper competitive matchmaking to Counter-Strike. Now, according to that Reddit post, it seems as though there's no way to even load up a competitive match with a team of 5 players.

My friends and I have had no problem getting into matchmaking as a team of 5. The trouble here is that servers aren't dedicated to matchmaking, so you could just get people joining through the browser and messing up the potential servers for matchmaking (I don't think it "reserves" spots once matchmaking has found a server, but I could be wrong).

One problem they do need to solve is that the matchmaking is using non-vanilla servers in some circumstances (like I ended up playing Arms Race in Office at one point).

All I want is a list of servers running classic competitive rules with classic maps. It's tough scrolling through hundreds of modded servers to find that gem.

Use match making, heh. More often than not you're put on a Valve official server.

feel

Sounds insane. Absolutely inexcusable. Just take what people are already doing manually in IRC channels and automatize it. If there's a dev reading this: send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly how to do it.
Relax, what you want is there and it works fine most of the time.

garath

How does this ELO system work? Is there any good explanations out there? Is it only through the "matchmaking" and not server browsing?

Zeppelin

Relax, what you want is there and it works fine most of the time.

So, I can party up with 4 other people, tell the system what server we want to use (or that we don't have a server and want to play on the opposing teams server) and then click a button and an opposing team of 5 players approximately as skilled as us will join on our server? If so, then everything is cool and good on them for implementing that.

Nome

So, I can party up with 4 other people, tell the system what server we want to use (or that we don't have a server and want to play on the opposing teams server) and then click a button and an opposing team of 5 players approximately as skilled as us will join on our server? If so, then everything is cool and good on them for implementing that.
No, there's no server selection. Have fun being being matched against people across the ocean :p

feel

Well then no, afaik you choose a gametype and it tosses your party into an official server with enough open spots.

Timan

Developer
Anyone able to run this on the Mac yet? Works fine in windows, lets me install on mac, but never actually runs :(

antitrop

So people are playing this already? Is it easier to find a real game rather than wading through hundreds of mods and crap?
If you use in-game matchmaking, yes. You'll get a real game every time. If you use the server browser there are still plenty of worthless MODs to ignore.

twofold

So people are playing this already? Is it easier to find a real game rather than wading through hundreds of mods and crap?

If you use the matchmaking, it'll drop you into a vanilla server.

It doesn't seem to take pings into account, though. Half the time I end up on a server half way round the world with a ping of 200+.

Other times, I get a 'server is full' message and have to push the 'play' button again.

It's pretty janky.

Nome

If you use the matchmaking, it'll drop you into a vanilla server.

It doesn't seem to take pings into account, though. Half the time I end up on a server half way round the world with a ping of 200+.

Other times, I get a 'server is full' message and have to push the 'play' button again.

It's pretty janky.
Yeah, that gets especially annoying when you're queuing with a large group. Was trying to queue as 5, and kept joining full games (one of our 5 wouldn't be able to get in because someone else joined first).

garath

Ok ok. This is starting to sound a bit better with the matchmaking. I'll happily play a "solo queue" game and get dropped into a 5v5 match on an official server with competitive rules according to my ELO. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Zeppelin

Well then no, afaik you choose a gametype and it tosses your party into an official server with enough open spots.

Al right, that sounds a little bit better, even if it's far from perfect. But I don't see why they couldn't allow teams to have their own servers. I'm used to playing 1.6 on a server to which my ping is 6-7 ms all the time. I'm sure net code has gotten better over the years and that the upper limit of what's acceptable has gotten higher but being matched against people overseas just sounds weird.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Al right, that sounds a little bit better, even if it's far from perfect. But I don't see why they couldn't allow teams to have their own servers. I'm used to playing 1.6 on a server to which my ping is 6-7 ms all the time. I'm sure net code has gotten better over the years and that the upper limit of what's acceptable has gotten higher but being matched against people overseas just sounds weird.

It's matchmaking at the "any" level. The default matchmaking (as much as I hate MM) needs to be filtered/default set to: in-country/same-area/whatever you call it.

garath

They need to look at something like League of Legends. They have a separate system for matching 5 man teams. You group up with your team and hit the find team match button. It'll search for another 5 man team near your team ELO wanting to play. Obviously it'd have to be tweaked for the "have a server/don't have a server" thing but I can see it being an option.

Really glad the Achievements moved over. Put about 50 hours into the beta. I'm excited to get home and play a bit more tonight.

Also, I found this pretty funny. Why are people so dumb?

SQXpd.png

antitrop

Really glad the Achievements moved over. Put about 50 hours into the beta. I'm excited to get home and play a bit more tonight.

SQXpd.png
That picture angers me. How big are his balls to have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

I HAVE TO PAY FOR THINGS TO USE THEM!? Why aren't games free!?

CoolS

SQXpd.png

Especially since it's only 15 bucks. I could understand that kind of mentality if they were selling it for 40...

Rogosh

Can't wait to play this game after work. The PS3 version should hold me over nicely until I can play the PC version. I am however worried on how they will support the ps3 version of the game. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Valve has been very silent on the subject so far.

feel

SQXpd.png
I said wow. Love how internet idiocy like this nowadays often comes with the person's real name and picture for the entire world to see and mock.

Xater

Ok, took your advice and see it. I also think i have a case of sleeping doginitis. Symptoms are every games graphical score goes down 2 points.

Don#t worry this happens with a lot of people. I also had Source looking better in my mind. When I checked I appreciated GO way more.

TheExodu5

Banned

It's launch...I'm not surprised. We'll see in 1-2 months time.

As for SC2...it really had a much better interface for laddering than SC1, so it's not surprising many switched over. For CS, Go is not an improvement in the least. Public games will be better, sure, but organizing team scrims is still going to be the same pain it's always been.

CoolS

Updated the Op with the Xbox release and the KB/M, Move and Controller matchmaking on PS3

Not sure if its been posted yet, but its up on the PSN store. I'm in Texas and its up already.

Can somebody check if it is up in Europe as well?

Xater

It's launch...I'm not surprised. We'll see in 1-2 months time.

It will probably be still really popular. Doesn't matter to me if it is the most popular version or not. I really like GO. More than Source and I just can't play 1.6 anymore because it will give me eye cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom