• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

psn

USP does more damage with the silencer off, dunno about M4.

Last time I checked, it did exactly the same damage. Both M4A1-S and USP-S.

But the spraypattern is much better with the silencer on, so I'm using it on the USP.

I switched back to the m4a4 because its hard to kill more than two with the m4a1 when the terrorists rush. 20 Shots is ridiculous though, 25 would be much more balanced.

What needs to be fixed ASAP: The 64 Tick in matchmaking. It's a shame that they still use it in competitive..

Good explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmqv3z4gnA

Why Tickrate 64 is ridiculous:
http://youtu.be/J6u26YTpIF0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4a0-W7iqwc
http://youtu.be/qKWDZdcL5d8

Uiki

But the spraypattern is much better with the silencer on, so I'm using it on the USP.

I switched back to the m4a4 because its hard to kill more than two with the m4a1 when the terrorists rush. 20 Shots is ridiculous though, 25 would be much more balanced.

What needs to be fixed ASAP: The 64 Tick in matchmaking. It's a shame that they still use it in competitive..

It's the one thing that they never gonna fix.

edit for my curiosity: are videos taken from a client side demo kinda useless for proving the hit detection sucks? I mean..there are tons of factors to consider for a bad hit reg, not just ticks.

psn

You can watch the Interview from here, should answer your question:
http://youtu.be/aVmqv3z4gnA?t=3m35s

When you have no loss and a ping <50 there is not much left. I have a 100 Mbits connection with absolutely no loss, I can guarantee that, I always watch my netgraph :)

The tickrate basically means how often the server updates your position and shots.
So with a tickrate of 128 the server gets twice as much information.

We already had a tickrate of 102, which was fine. Then they decided to go for 64. Their excuse was, that people with less than 102 frames would be disadvantaged as far as I remember. But come on, the source engine needs next to 0 resources. Even a cheap PC can run it at >100 frames.

Martian

Good explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmqv3z4gnA

Why Tickrate 64 is ridiculous:

So this is a thing? I thought I was going crazy, because I swear I was hitting people a lot more than the killcam said.

Hmm, kind of weir they don't fix that as it clearly messes up the game

Uiki

When you have no loss and a ping <50 there is not much left. I have a 100 Mbits connection with absolutely no loss, I can guarantee that, I always watch my netgraph :)

The tickrate basically means how often the server updates your position and shots.

We already had a tickrate of 102, which was fine. Then they decided to go for 64. Their excuse was, that people with less than 102 frames would be disadvantaged as far as I remember. But come on, the source engine needs next to 0 resources. Even a cheap PC can run it at >100 frames.

I absolutely know how tick rate works.

I just don't trust random people showing hitreg client side because there's so much stuff that influence hitreg that it seems pointless to me.

64 is bad, we all know it... but i got like 700 hours on go and never had a hitreg that bad. My ping is always <50 (0 loss and choke, of course) and i play on 64 fps (64 tick -> 64 fps).

On a side note, when i play on LUX server everything is fine. But when mm puts me on VIE servers...my god.

psn

You only notice it when you play 128 tick more often. You simply dont notice when you only play 64 :) Play a funwar 5on5 with your mates on a good server and see the difference.

There are many factors, but none of them can be changed so easily like the tickrate.

I don't think they are going to change the lag compensation und latency compensating model. Those are pretty bad, too. It was created to give no advantage for low ping players, but thats a different story.

As for the videos, those are extreme situations, its not like that everytime. But it shows that its way too random for a competitive game.

Uiki

You only notice it when you play 128 tick more often. You simply dont notice when you only play 64 :) Play a funwar 5on5 with your mates on a good server and see the difference.

There are many factors, but none of them can be changed so easily like the tickrate.

I don't think they are going to change the lag compensation und latency compensating model. Those are pretty bad, too. It was created to give no advantage for low ping players, but thats a different story.

As for the videos, those are extreme situations, its not like that everytime. But it shows that its way too random for a competitive game.

I play on 128 tick servers for 1/2 hours a day lol

Sadly, on 64 is WAY too random no matter what.

But I don't expect better servers for mm anytime soon. Hell, they can't even keep up with the actual players on 64 tick servers..

Maybe in an operation payback thing.

One possible advantage with this game (possibly) going F2P could be an optional, separate service for 128-tick matchmaking. I doubt something like that will happen as it is right now, but with a F2P-structure that would make sense.

Enough players in both pools, Valve get's their cut and the dedicated (/competitive/serious) players get to play with each other.

Uiki

One possible advantage with this game (possibly) going F2P could be an optional, separate service for 128-tick matchmaking. I doubt something like that will happen as it is right now, but with a F2P-structure that would make sense.

Enough players in both pools, Valve get's their cut and the dedicated (/competitive/serious) players get to play with each other.

I don't think that it's a money problem.

They said that the majority of cs:go players won't even get 60fps on their pc. So 128 tick is pointless anyway. It could even make things worse if valve numbers are correct.

feel

Hey man I know a dude who runs CSGO on his laptop at 30fps, what about being fair to him?
Fuck him.

Raptomex

What the hell did they do to this series? As a player since 1.6, I've bought each CS since. I got GO when it came out and pretty much haven't played it since. I started playing again over the weekend and noticed all this new stuff. This weapon skin stuff, are these microtransactions I'm looking at? I notice players will drop cases at the end of a match and how exactly do I obtain these? I have 2 keys and no cases. However, I do like the addition of deathmatch and arms race. Though, the instant respawn kind of takes away what made CS unique (I think) in the first place. But I do like the 2 modes. I wish I could search for them in the regular server browser. They need more maps. I really love "Shoots" and "Monestary". And why the hell can't I zoom with assault rifles or any other gun besides scoped weapons? I don't remember if this was in previous games but I think it should definitely be in here. Also some of these guns, they look like toys. I also don't understand the inventory. Do I have to buy new weapons/skins just to fill it up? And then what? Is it just for show?

I miss the days before CoD. When CS was flooded with servers and players.

Raptomex

Joke post?
Lol I see what I did there. The one thing from CoD I do like besides the first few games is the iron sights. I don't remember if it was in previous CS games (and I know there was never any iron sights) but I kept trying to zoom in and I was like wtf. I'm not use to it anymore I guess. But I did have to shrink my crosshair down like the old days. Good times.

fijim

Banned
Lol I see what I did there. The one thing from CoD I do like besides the first few games is the iron sights. I don't remember if it was in previous CS games (and I know there was never any iron sights) but I kept trying to zoom in and I was like wtf. I'm not use to it anymore I guess. But I did have to shrink my crosshair down like the old days. Good times.

The old CS never let you zoom on non-scoped weapons. The Colt did have a scope way back in Beta 5.2 of the original CS but was removed in Beta 6. The AUG and the Sig 558 were the only non-sniper rifles that had partial zooms and they still do in CS:GO.

Raptomex

The old CS never let you zoom on non-scoped weapons. The Colt did have a scope way back in Beta 5.2 of the original CS but was removed in Beta 6. The AUG and the Sig 558 were the only non-sniper rifles that had partial zooms and they still do in CS:GO.
Ah, thanks. I guess I just haven't played in a while.

The AUG and the Sig 558 were the only non-sniper rifles that had partial zooms and they still do in CS:GO.

I dont know if it's just a setting I haven't figured out yet for graphics but I need to use these two weapons so much more in CS:GO then previous CS games(Earliest being 1.5). I can't see shit on some of the maps with any normal gun, often leading me to purchasing either of these two to get that bit of extra zoom. One thing I haven't tried is a lower res.

It's not my eyes either, my job requires bi-yearly check ups, still 20/20.

Clydefrog

I dont know if it's just a setting I haven't figured out yet for graphics but I need to use these two weapons so much more in CS:GO then previous CS games(Earliest being 1.5). I can't see shit on some of the maps with any normal gun, often leading me to purchasing either of these two to get that bit of extra zoom. One thing I haven't tried is a lower res.

It's not my eyes either, my job requires bi-yearly check ups, still 20/20.

It's probably your eyes.

psn

Try playing the _SE maps like de_dust2_se ..they have no fog etc on the maps.

Using _se maps for competitive matchmaking would be nice.

Back to the tickrate: The 4 year old Laptop of my GF is able to display >100fps.... The source engine needs nearly zero resources.. People with less than 60 fps should simply lower the details then. Its a competitive game. When I try to drive a Fiat 500 in Formula 1, is it fair when all others get locked at 15Hp because of my car?

Uiki

Back to the tickrate: The 4 year old Laptop of my GF is able to display >100fps.... The source engine needs nearly zero resources.. People with less than 60 fps should simply lower the details then. Its a competitive game. When I try to drive a Fiat 500 in Formula 1, is it fair when all others get locked at 15Hp because of my car?

If the situation is as bad as they say they could at least unlock some console commands that are behind sv_cheats. mat_postprocess_enable 0 alone is like 15+ fps boost.

They can't build a competitive game around poeple who can't even play on 60fps, it's absurd.

I wish for some meaningful changes over skins and chickens. And i'm ok with map changes but there are some major issues that they didn't even start to tackle and should be on top of their top priorities.

TheExodu5

Banned
I guess I really should start playing ESEA...but I love the simplicity and convenience of matchmaking.

It's a shame Valve is only half competent in the handling of this as a competitive game.

ESEA just super hit or miss when it comes to teammates. I mean, most of the time, they're better than me--but at least the guys in MM are 80% of the time alright. If you aren't a piece of shit, you get treated pretty well if you're in the badge/ double ak range.

Uiki

I guess I really should start playing ESEA...but I love the simplicity and convenience of matchmaking.

It's a shame Valve is only half competent in the handling of this as a competitive game.

bitcoin_goldv2.png

Sadly for me, never again.

TheExodu5

Banned
So is there actually any legitimacy to 1024*768 being better than 1080p in GO? Do competitive players use it just to keep their performance up, or is it like in 1.6 where it actually makes it easier to target hitboxes?

MrKayle

so now that Operation Payback isn't selectable as a mode any more, is it not possible to level up the coin? :bronzeforever

So is there actually any legitimacy to 1024*768 being better than 1080p in GO? Do competitive players use it just to keep their performance up, or is it like in 1.6 where it actually makes it easier to target hitboxes?

Nope. People use it because they're used to it. In 1.6, 4:3 was the standard and every other ratio was cropped from 4:3.

In CS:GO, it's the opposite. 16:9 is the standard and every other ratio is cropped from 16:9.

http://pantheones.com.au/news/global-offensive/why-you-need-to-play-csgo-on-a-169-monitor/

TheExodu5

Banned
Nope. People use it because they're used to it. In 1.6, 4:3 was the standard and every other ratio was cropped from 4:3.

In CS:GO, it's the opposite. 16:9 is the standard and every other ratio is cropped from 16:9.

http://pantheones.com.au/news/global-offensive/why-you-need-to-play-csgo-on-a-169-monitor/

I guess I'll stick at 16:9 then.

I know in 1.6 it was a whole different beast though. I would play aim_ak-colt and just have my friend stand idly at the other end of the map. At 1080 I could not reliably headshot at all, no matter how much I lined up the shot. At 640*480 headshots were easy. I never understood why that was.

Oh, question. Will I get item drops while playing on ESEA servers?

If the situation is as bad as they say they could at least unlock some console commands that are behind sv_cheats. mat_postprocess_enable 0 alone is like 15+ fps boost.

They can't build a competitive game around poeple who can't even play on 60fps, it's absurd.
Problem is that disabling post-processing could give those players an advantage, and I guess Valve doesn't want to "force" people to completely uglify their game just to be competitive.

I wish for some meaningful changes over skins and chickens. And i'm ok with map changes but there are some major issues that they didn't even start to tackle and should be on top of their top priorities.
The least they can do is communicate their thoughts, their arguments. They must have read the community's, at least take the time to respond, and do it directly, not through some blog of a NiP-player.

Omega

Banned
ESEA just super hit or miss when it comes to teammates. I mean, most of the time, they're better than me--but at least the guys in MM are 80% of the time alright. If you aren't a piece of shit, you get treated pretty well if you're in the badge/ double ak range.

I was thinking about playing on ESEA but since I'm fairly new to the game, I've just avoided it.

figured everyone would be at least decent in the pugs but from the sound of it, I'd probably fit right in

TheExodu5

Banned
Just played my first ESEA match. The servers are awesome...no reg wonkiness at all. Finding a game is a bit of a hassle and there's really no matchmaking to speak of. The skill of players I played with though I would say ranged from double AK to the master eagle or whatever. Except for this one guy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played one match on ESEA followed by a match in matchmaking. My god what a difference. ESEA was perfect, and matchmaking was a roll of the dice every time.

Man, I hope they release new crates soon. At first when I'd put a crate on the marketplace it would sell that day. Now I can't sell one even if I put it below market price.

I've already made like $6 off this shit. By the time the Steam winter sale arrives I'll be set!

Zemm

Played one match on ESEA followed by a match in matchmaking. My god what a difference. ESEA was perfect, and matchmaking was a roll of the dice every time.

Yeah it's ridiculous, you just have so much more confidence on a 128 tick server. Valve need to fix something.

Clydefrog

Man, I hope they release new crates soon. At first when I'd put a crate on the marketplace it would sell that day. Now I can't sell one even if I put it below market price.

I've already made like $6 off this shit. By the time the Steam winter sale arrives I'll be set!

damn, that's like 3 hotdogs

Problem is that disabling post-processing could give those players an advantage, and I guess Valve doesn't want to "force" people to completely uglify their game just to be competitive.
While I like CS:GO's attempt to standardize most settings, I really wish they'd loosen up on this. The vignetting, colour desaturation, and overexposed lighting is the real eyesore for me. The game just flat out looks better without it, and I like disabling it in most games I play anyway.

Valygar

I don't get the 128 tickrate. Are you guys playing with monitors with 120h? Otherwise even if you go more than 60 fps you are going to miss frames.

I guess you can still shoot without really seeing it faster, if you go more than 60 fps in a 60 hz, which could be useful if you can predict where to shoot.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't get the 128 tickrate. Are you guys playing with monitors with 120h? Otherwise even if you go more than 60 fps you are going to miss frames.

I guess you can still shoot without really seeing it faster, if you go more than 60 fps in a 60 hz, which could be useful if you can predict where to shoot.

I don't know if my math is right, but at 64 tick rate you'd be adding a maximum latency of 31.2ms (15.6ms for receiving, 15.6ms for sending) to your base latency. Not so insignificant. Add that to my ping in game (roughly 60ms on competitive servers) and I'm looking at nearly 100ms of disconnect between myself and the game.

I'm just guessing though. I'm not sure if that's how the math works out exactly.

All I know is that in practice, it's extremely noticeable at a professional level. I'm constantly making shots with the awp that should be hitting and they're not. It's frustrating.

bs000

I never heard of that in 1.6, neat. I always played low resolutions in 1.6 because most CRTs were locked to 60hz at higher resolutions, and up to 120hz on lower resolutions. Everything is so much smoother at a higher refresh rate, and even offered some gameplay advantages. ie. The Nuke jump from truck to the red rock. At 60hz you crawl up the rock at a snails pace. The higher your refresh rate, the faster you could climb up the rock.

Oh, question. Will I get item drops while playing on ESEA servers?

The only rule seems to be that the server just needs to have VAC enabled.

Jesus, played a few rounds of casual just then and this one guy had;

Stat track Glock
Stat track USP Dark Water
Stat track AK Case Hardened
Stat track AWP Lighting Strike
Stat track M4 Dark Water
Stat track Knife(forget which one, the one with blood on it)

Either someone got real lucky or someone spent an entire wage on the market place.

138minute session and 0 drop. Why must it be so random.

CoolS

Played for the first time since months today, and while I had fun in the end, something felt REALLY of.
My Ping is around 60-70, yet it felt like my hits weren't really registered a lot of the time or at least there was quite a bit of lag. Like headshots registring a second late or so.

Is that teh 64tick problem you guys have been talking about? It was really annoying.

KingKong

its going to be classic casual again isn't it

All they have to do is include some unique skin with the operation ticket to sell like crazy though

Jesus, played a few rounds of casual just then and this one guy had;

Stat track Glock
Stat track USP Dark Water
Stat track AK Case Hardened
Stat track AWP Lighting Strike
Stat track M4 Dark Water
Stat track Knife(forget which one, the one with blood on it)

Either someone got real lucky or someone spent an entire wage on the market place.

138minute session and 0 drop. Why must it be so random.

Be thankful for people like that. They fund our game. Same people in Dota 2 baffle me, but I love them. I would never spend more than $5 on cosmetic stuff for a game (I only did that in TF2 so I could get a premium account).

If somebody can't decide between m4a1 and m4a4, maybe this video helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BjaDogb6kc

That really does help, thanks for posting.

With that said.... does anyone wanna trade a M4A1 skin for my jungle tiger M4A4 skin? :)

CoolS

Just had a great game with matchmaking. I enjoy the classic 5vs5 so much more than any other CS playstyle.

Another question though. Do drops not happrn in classic competitive? The only time I ever saw drops was in classic casual on official servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom