• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Kittonwy

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
To me it sounds like they've done the right thing. They made a game packed with more of the good stuff the fans have been clamoring for, and in 2012 we'll get a proper, full-blown sequel in Crackdown 3.

Really, reading the reviews it all seems very simple to me: if you liked the first game and want more of it (with more weapons, vehicles, orbs etc), you'll enjoy Crackdown 2. If you expected huge changes or didn't like the first game at all, then Crackdown 2 is probably not for you.

You have to expand your userbase with every sequel or your userbase will continue to shrink, the fewer copies you sell for the sequel, the harder it gets for you to justify a bigger budget for a third game, so do you continue to cut production costs in terms of production staff or production time? 15 months is very short for the kind of game this is, you need to give the team enough time to let ideas incubate.

Requeim

Flavius said:
Making use of the entirety of your purported scale is awesome, but does not equate being at all adept in reviewing games.

Sorry, i intended to make two different statements, not supporting ones

watership

Requeim said:
Destructoid goes by the 1-10 scale instead of the 7-10 scale. Their reviews are among the best on the internet.

I'm JUST picked myself up off the floor from your post. They do indeed use the full scale but they also drone on and on and can be full of childish rants or emotional garbage.

V_Ben

Banned
Popeck said:
I have to say that the ending of this game was one of the worst I've encountered in a long, long time.

Anyways, I've posted some gameplay to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i942D9XmtJg.

wow. i just youtubed the ending. you're not kidding. Before you whine at me, i didn't play the first crackdown for the story, and i'm not playing this one for the story either. Just the fun as hell gameplay :D

Requeim

watership said:
I'm JUST picked myself up off the floor from your post. They do indeed use the full scale but they also drone on and on and can be full of childish rants or emotional garbage.

I see your complaint, but i don't consider it a problem. Destructoid makes no attempt at writing objective reviews or appeal to the masses in any way. They represent the personal opinion of the reviewer and only that, so sometimes it gets at bit rant-ish i agree. I can see how that might be a problem if you just stumble onto the site randomly for the first time. But for people like me, who know pretty much all the reviewers and their personal preferences, it's really great

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Requeim said:
Destructoid goes by the 1-10 scale instead of the 7-10 scale. Their reviews are among the best on the internet.
Well, according to their scale, Naughty Bear is better than Crackdown 2, even though Naughty Bear is a "completely boring game" and Crackdown 2 is "incredible fun, providing all the thrills, spills and chills of the original Crackdown."

Popeck

hxa155 said:
Worse than Borderlands'?

I have no idea how Borderlands endend. It's kinda hard to describe. The game only has about two cutscenes bookending the story: one at the beginning and one at the end. I was like "what, you've gotta be kidding me, that's it?" when the ending animation...err, ended and credits started rolling. The animation basically just says "Dude, story's over, see ya next time".

I like Crackdown overall, but I have to admit this doesn't really feel like a sequel and understandably so. The team didn't have too much time on their hands. Crackdown 2 kind of reminds me of Halo 3: ODST, although the latter was budget priced here in Europe.

Kibbles

Jeff Stephen said:
Heads up, Dell has CD2 for $40.
Very tempting. No hidden catches here? I was thinking about waiting a few weeks and getting the game off ebay, but if it's $40 new then I might just get it now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kibbles said:
Very tempting. No hidden catches here? I was thinking about waiting a few weeks and getting the game off ebay, but if it's $40 new then I might just get it now.
Shipping is free but they charge tax.

Requeim

SapientWolf said:
Well, according to their scale, Naughty Bear is better than Crackdown 2, even though Naughty Bear is a "completely boring game" and Crackdown 2 is "incredible fun, providing all the thrills, spills and chills of the original Crackdown."

Great job taking that one out of context

"Crackdown 2 is incredible fun, providing all the thrills, spills and chills of the original Crackdown. It looks gorgeous, it feels empowering, and the collection of Agility Orbs is as addictive as ever. All of this is true... for about ten minutes.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
My colleague put up his review of the title

Crackdown 2 Review @ GameZone - 6.5/10

In the end, the most compelling elements in Crackdown 2 can be found in its predecessor as well, and the new features are disappointing overall. The new MP-focused mission structure isn’t as fun as it should be, especially when playing alone, and the story is practically non-existent and does little to make you want to stick with the experience through the whole game. Crackdown 2 is not a building-spanning leap from the original game, and instead takes a step back in places.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Requeim said:
Great job taking that one out of context

"Crackdown 2 is incredible fun, providing all the thrills, spills and chills of the original Crackdown. It looks gorgeous, it feels empowering, and the collection of Agility Orbs is as addictive as ever. All of this is true... for about ten minutes.
That's just silly. It takes way longer than 10 minutes to find all the orbs.

S1kkZ

Dax01 said:
What's with all this complaining about the story? Who played Crackdown for the story? Who was going to play Crackdown 2 for the story?
the same shit happend 3 years ago (with the reviews for cd1).
and the new features are disappointing? really?

Haven't received my copy yet, but I'm surprised so many are down on this if the general consensus of so-far revealed reviews are right with CD2 being mostly just CD1 plus four-player support, more interesting orbs to hunt obsessively, more variation in general objectives, and more skills to earn with a better balance to powering up relative to the enemy threat. That, to me, is what I wanted out of a followup to CD1. I never gave a shit about the story or framing of missions in CD1, so I'm just as unlikely to care in the second one if the demo was any indication. It's pure context to drive the player(s) to focus on a common goal. The big thing to me is the lack of respect and appreciation for the fact that this is a four player co-op open world game...that's fucking huge, IMO, and there seems to be no game better than Crackdown to serve as host to this feature. I've wanted open world titles to support more people while still offering all of the usual open world dynamism that you expect from a single player title. CD2 looks like the game I wanted CD1 to be.

soldat7

MightyHedgehog said:

While I agree with you, I think the problem is that a lot of people were hoping for a different city, more mission variety, improved climbing and jumping, and improved gunplay. As evidenced by my posts here (and the |OT| lol) I don't care if this ends up being Crackdown 1.5; I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm looking forward to more missions, enemies, co-op, orb hunting, foot races, car races, and overall variety. In other words, I'm just excited to be playing some more Crackdown.

At the very worst, I could end up thinking of Crackdown 2 as a $40 expansion (see Dragon Age), since that's all I paid for it :lol.

Mrbob

Mighty Hedgehog, Jeremy Parish said a lot of the orbs are in the same spot in Crackdown 2. Combined with the fact it is in Pacific city and we have quite a retread for a game. It sounds like Pacific City hardly changed at all. The stuff you are demanding is expansion pack add on material, not a 60 dollar package. Thankfully I got my copy for 47 bucks from amazon w/ a 10 dollar credit.

I don't blame Ruffian fully for this. Mostly MS for rushing this game out. I don't understand why MS needed this game out right now when it ignored the franchise for a couple years. Should have let Ruffian cook this game for another 6 to 12 months.

soldat7 said:
While I agree with you, I think the problem is a lot of people were hoping for a different city, more mission variety, improved climbing and jumping, and improved gunplay. As evidenced by my posts here (and the |OT| lol) I don't care if this ends up being Crackdown 1.5; I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm looking forward to more missions, enemies, co-op, orb hunting, foot races, car races, and overall variety from Crackdown 1.
Well, from that perspective, I guess I understand...but, really, and let's get real about this, CD1 was about the ability to tackle goals, small or large, in a number of ways that you can actually achieve if only you have the ability or skill to do so. That choice which comes from the ability to recognize it and realize it is the core, just like any good open world title. If that remains true in CD2, then this initial disappointment, IMO, will fade as people just get down to what the game was always about and not just on-paper wishlists. Besides, I've this feeling that CD2 is going to see some hefty DLC additions over the course of the next year.

MMaRsu

Requeim said:

:lol :lol

They gave AC2 a 4.

Who reads or takes them seriously????????

MMaRsu

Mrbob said:
Mighty Hedgehog, Jeremy Parish said a lot of the orbs are in the same spot in Crackdown 2. Combined with the fact it is in Pacific city and we have quite a retread for a game.

I don't blame Ruffian fully for this. Mostly MS for rushing this game out. I don't understand why MS needed this game out right now when it ignored the franchise for a couple years. Should have let Ruffian cook this game for another 6 to 12 months.

Ms was probably like shit we almost have zero exclusives for next year, let's have them pump out a quick sequel. :(

Kusagari

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, from that perspective, I guess I understand...but, really, and let's get real about this, CD1 was about the ability to tackle goals, small or large, in a number of ways that you can actually achieve if only you have the ability or skill to do so. That choice which comes from the ability to recognize it and realize it is the core, just like any good open world title. If that remains true in CD2, then this initial disappointment, IMO, will fade as people just get down to what the game was always about and not just on-paper wishlists. Besides, I've this feeling that CD2 is going to see some hefty DLC additions over the course of the next year.

So we get to pay even more for the full game that CD2 should have been? Yay!

Mrbob

MightyHedgehog said:

Have you read any of the reviews? :p Not trying to be condescending but these questions have been answered. I'll quick note it:

-Mission structure is a bit more elaborate, but takes away some of the freedom. Plus the missions aren't that hot.
-Zombie addition to the game makes things tedious and not fun. Frame rate issues with all the zombies onscreen.
-Underground areas suck.
-Pacific City hasn't changed, just demolished. Everything is in the same spot
-Many orbs for collecting are in the same spot
+ 4 player co op
+/-DLC coming after release. But will it be free? It should be considering this game was rushed.
+/- It is Crackdown 1.5

I loved Crackdown. One of my favorite games this gen. I know I'll have fun with Crackdown 2, but after all this time we should demand more from a sequel for such a beloved game. Crackdown 2 seems like lateral movement from Crackdown 1. I want it to skyrocket above the first title Agency Headquarters style.

Requeim

MMaRsu said:
:lol :lol

They gave AC2 a 4.

Who reads or takes them seriously????????

they also gave deadly premonition a 10, while IGN gave it a 2, so what's your damn point?

are you surprised not every reviewer agrees with you?

Wow, I'm glad I managed to trade in my copy of Transformers (which I got for $40) towards this for $60. Only had to pay $10 more. If I don't like it, I won't feel so bad.

goldenpp72

MMaRsu said:
Ms was probably like shit we almost have zero exclusives for next year, let's have them pump out a quick sequel. :(

I was under the impression MS wanted real time worlds to develop a sequel right after the first did well, and real time moved on to apb so for a long time MS was farming the sequel out to ruffian, and this is what they were able to do in the short time frame.

hell the first rumor for a crackdown sequel was crackdown 1.5, I totally am ok with this for one time because I didn't get enough out of crackdown 1 (got all achievements), but for a third game, they better revamp and enhance everything and turn it into a big block buster game! (don't care about story though, mostly referring to flaws and graphics, etc)

Requeim said:
they also gave deadly premonition a 10, while IGN gave it a 2, so what's your damn point?

are you surprised not every reviewer agrees with you?

You seem to be very defensive about destructoid for some reason...

Kittonwy said:
Just watched the ending on youtube, WHAT THE FUCK.

eh, I just watched it. It's not bad, certainly much better than the the original game's weak voice over "revelation."

But then, I didn't pay $60 and play a 10 hour campaign to see it, so...

Barrett2

Tobor said:
Wait a minute, the city map is the same as the first game?

Why isn't this $40?

According to 1UP, many orbs are also in literally the exact same space. Plus, there are no new fundamental powers, and only TWO mission types the entire game. Not to mention the aiming doesnt work. But hey, what are we complaining about? More Crackdown = awezome!!

I'll buy it because of the Dell $40 deal, but based on all the reviews, as a sequel to a much beloved game, this seems pretty indefensible. Sounds like the devs were saddled with a short development time, but how often is that not the case?

No, I don't read many reviews for games these days, Mrbob. I think I'll trust my own opinion more than the hired guns out there. I'll be back in this thread with my impressions after I've had co-op playtime.

TimeLike

From the Giantbomb review, "Other changes make the race missions easier by removing the time you need to beat to win."

This is bs. There is a timer now on each race, but the devs made it so you can't see it. If you take too long to finish a race, it will fail you. Several times I have raced almost to the finish line only for the race to suddenly end because I was too slow.

If I wreck midway thru a race, I would like to know if I have enough time to recover or if I should just restart. The way it currently is, you have no idea how much time is left. Stupid.

The climbing mechanics are horrible too. I don't remember them being so bad in the first game. Way too many times your agent refuses to grab ledges that are clearly grabbable. Even just scaling straight up some window sills, the agent will miss the ledge above you and fall down. It's really frustrating especially when climbing the taller structures.

There's weird little problems like you can't turn your agent if you are up against a wall. Hard to explain, but imagine standing with your left shoulder up against the wall. If you want to jump up and grab the ledge above you, you have to walk out and away from the wall then turn to face it and jump.

Aiming sucks. Why remove the scopes from the sniper rifles?? Why?!?! It seriously needs a target change feature with the right stick or something instead of the bodypart aiming.

The wing suit is kinda cool. It's really only useful for extending the forward range of a jump. You can't fly around like it's a jetpack unless you leap from a really high place.

soldat7

Tobor said:
Wait a minute, the city map is the same as the first game?

Why isn't this $40?

It is $40...on Dell.com. :)

I feel like quoting Eurogamer again. Whether or not I'll ultimately agree with this remains to be seen, but it's an interesting perspective on the city recycling issue:

Eurogamer said:
Even Ruffian's controversial cost-cutting measure of staging the sequel within the same space as the first game pays off. Pacific City is both warmly familiar and rendered new again by the ravages of a back-story that has toppled skyscrapers and ruptured concrete, providing you with lots of lovely new things to climb.

It offers you the rare pleasure, given the endless iterative rush of most games, to revisit an old playground, and the thrill of exploration is joined by the haunting charm of seeing how your favourite districts have changed: how the kidney bean racetrack around Shai-Gen has been broken up with barricades, how the old gym down by the beach has been swallowed by a quake, and how an ugly shanty town has erupted around that big house in the mountains where I once managed to get a truck stuck on a chimney pot. (Embarrassing!)

Everything clips into place sweetly and creates a game that, beneath its generic coating of crime, mutants and street-battling, is surprisingly hard to classify. Pacific City is snug compared to the likes of Just Cause 2 and in the very early stages you may find yourself longing for the speed offered by Rico's grapple hook - but you're rewarded with more detail and thought per square inch than Panau could ever afford you, and a gradual expansion of your own powers that makes your progress intoxicating.

Equally, the story may be negligible when held up against the Rockstar games, but Ruffian ultimately provides the perfect compliment to their appreciation of stage-setting and character: a glorious, free-wheeling playground where the focus is on action rather than motivation.

Eurogamer Review

Tobor

lawblob said:
According to 1UP, many orbs are also in literally the exact same space. Plus, there are no new fundamental powers, and only TWO mission types the entire game. Not to mention the aiming doesnt work. But hey, what are we complaining about? More Crackdown = awezome!!

I'll buy it because of the Dell $40 deal, but based on all the reviews, as a sequel to a much beloved game, this seems pretty indefensible.

Sounds like it should have been a download pack or add on disc, honestly. I haven't been following the progress on this, and I'm really disappointed now. :(

Mrbob

Tobor you can get the game from Dell for $39.99 right now. 30 to 40 dollars sound about right for this game.

MightyHedgehog said:
No, I don't read many reviews for games these days, Mrbob. I think I'll trust my own opinion more than the hired guns out there. I'll be back in this thread with my impressions after I've had co-op playtime.

The reviews explain the disappointment with the game. You can choose to ignore the issues, but they are still there. Crackdown 2 isn't a bad game because the fundamentals of Crackdown are great, but it isn't the game it could have been. Or the sequel we should have received.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
goldenpp72 said:
I was under the impression MS wanted real time worlds to develop a sequel right after the first did well, and real time moved on to apb so for a long time MS was farming the sequel out to ruffian, and this is what they were able to do in the short time frame.

hell the first rumor for a crackdown sequel was crackdown 1.5, I totally am ok with this for one time because I didn't get enough out of crackdown 1 (got all achievements), but for a third game, they better revamp and enhance everything and turn it into a big block buster game! (don't care about story though, mostly referring to flaws and graphics, etc)
Just the opposite. RTW wanted to do a sequel, MS blew them off, then MS changed their minds after RTW was already working on APB. A lot of RTW talent went to Ruffian, splitting both teams. That move might have did some harm to both projects.

15 months for a sandbox sequel is pretty ridiculous. MS is either building hype for something bigger or trying to cut their losses.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ok so I just checked the youtube of the ending movie. WTF at the WTFs - the ending is just as short and unsatisfying (so to speak) as Crackdown 1's ending. It's no better, no worse :p

Though yes, I can see why it would cause anger in that the teaser after the credits indicates an anti-Agency Agent will be cloned for Crackdown 3... unless that's for one of the DLC expansions, which would be cool.

TimeLike

soldat7 said:
It is $40...on Dell.com. :)

I feel like quoting Eurogamer again. Whether or not I'll ultimately agree with this remains to be seen, but it's an interesting perspective on the city recycling issue:

Eurogamer Review

The name of the city is the same but it really is all new. It's been completely redesigned. You will recognize all of it, but it's so different.

soldat7

MightyHedgehog said:
I think I'll trust my own opinion more than the hired guns out there.

Remember, those 'hired guns' are likely in the services of Catalina Thorne.

TimeLike said:
The name of the city is the same but it really is all new. It's been completely redesigned. You will recognize all of it, but it's so different.

Very cool. The "it's the exact same city" argument is getting a little old.

Requeim

CrazedArabMan said:
You seem to be very defensive about destructoid for some reason...

eh, i was just trying to explain the concept of their reviews. I don't think i'd be fair to dismiss them as completely irrelevant just because of "4,5 LOL"

edit: and because i like the site and people that run it of course

Tobor

Mrbob said:
Tobor you can get the game from Dell for $39.99 right now. 30 to 40 dollars sound about right for this game.

I might do that, but I'm leaning towards waiting to see if I can snag it for $30 later. We'll see.

Kusagari said:
So we get to pay even more for the full game that CD2 should have been? Yay!
Oh, so you're one who has finished and reviewed the game? Did you think it was really an incomplete title kicked out to soak up sales from those fans of the original? And, besides, we haven't even seen what the DLC will be yet...how can you judge its worth before having seen it?

Mrbob said:
The reviews explain the disappointment with the game. You can choose to ignore the issues, but they are still there. Crackdown 2 isn't a bad game because the fundamentals of Crackdown are great, but it isn't the game it could have been. Or the sequel we should have received.
I'll never understand the line that seems to exist on GAF...on the internet...where reviews are suddenly something that should be agreed with to the letter and those that are worthless trash. I seem to remember CD1 getting all sorts of mediocre, even negative reviews and, yet, disagreed with most if not all of them to find that CD1 was one of the best games of this gen for co-op.

I had only one complaint from that first game and that was that you could scale out to being way too powerful too early with not very much meaningful and satisfying challenge to use it on in the end. That seems to be addressed well in this new one, but maybe with the new stuff they added and changed, I can be satisfied while many others find it to be below minimum effort...I dunno. CD1 enabled a great co-op experience and I fully expect that CD2 will do even better than that. Sorry if I don't want to take the some reviewers' issues as being true for me...I need to play it for myself and with friends in co-op. CD2 looks to crutch just as much on social enjoyment as any co-op game, so I'll withhold my opinion until I've got play time in.

goldenpp72

Requeim said:
eh, i was just trying to explain the concept of their reviews. I don't think i'd be fair to dismiss them as completely irrelevant just because of "4,5 LOL"

edit: and because i like the site and people that run it of course

destructoid is a shitty reviewing website, not because of cd2 either.

Top Bottom