• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

soldat7

The mainly positive reviews (gamerankings)
The rest of the reviewers are clearly being paid by Catalina Thorne

Code:
GamePro   	        07/05/10  	4.5 out of 5  	90.00%
Planet Xbox 360 	07/05/10 	9 out of 10 	90.00%
XboxAddict 	        07/05/10 	9 out of 10 	90.00%
Gaming Target 	        07/05/10 	9 out of 10 	90.00%
GamingTrend 	        07/05/10 	89 out of 100 	89.00%
Digital Chumps 	        07/05/10 	8.8 out of 10 	88.00%
Game Revolution 	07/05/10 	B+ 	        85.00%
Da GameBoyz 	        07/05/10 	8.5 out of 10 	85.00%
NZGamer 	        07/05/10 	8.3 out of 10 	83.00%
CVG UK              	07/05/10 	8.3 out of 10 	83.00%
OXM UK             	07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
Hardcore Gamer  	07/05/10 	4 out of 5      80.00%
Eurogamer 	        07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
GameFocus 	        07/05/10 	8 out of 10 	80.00%
play.tm 	        07/05/10 	80 out of 100 	80.00%
IGN 	                07/05/10 	7.5 out of 10 	75.00%
1UP 	                07/05/10 	B-

goldenpp72

I think the people jumping off the bandwagon never really loved crackdown to begin with really, this game never looked like more than an inbetween to crackdown 3 to keep fans at bay who have been waiting 3 years now.

soldat7

goldenpp72 said:
I think the people jumping off the bandwagon never really loved crackdown to begin with really...

I don't know. I think they did like Crackdown 1. Heck, even I might play it and loathe it lol. However, lots of people are indeed jumping off the bandwagon a bit prematurely. As evidenced by my post above, there are a lot of decent->good reviews and it's tracking very close to the original for most of the major review sites.

Yep, seems like the reviews are spot on after playing the demo, which was honestly horrible and a complete step backwards from the original. Meh, DO NOT WANT!

eek5

Kibbles said:
So is the helicopter on top of the Agency Tower or something?
No it's relatively easy to access.

spawn agency tower, the wall in front of you jump onto the light and then on top of that walkway, turn right and run to the wall then jump up the two windows, turn slight right towards the water and you'll see the helipad. you need level 5 agility to make the jump

goldenpp72 said:
I think the people jumping off the bandwagon never really loved crackdown to begin with really, this game never looked like more than an inbetween to crackdown 3 to keep fans at bay who have been waiting 3 years now.

And we're supposed to be okay with that ? I wish it was more than that, so I just won't buy it at full price.

Why For? said:
I'm in the same boat.

If the worst thing about Crackdown 2 is that it's too much like the first. I'll cop that.

I read a few articles with Ruffian where they said the original engine was borderline unworkable, and they're amazed the first Crackdown was even released.

So that they had 8 months to rework an engine and make a new game is amazing.

Hopefully they get 2 or 3 years with Crackdown 3 and have a brand new engine to use.

Crackdown 2 seems to be in a tricky spot for me. On the one hand, this seems to be an inferior, recycled sequel. And, as many say, I am perfectly fine with that *to an extent. My beef is not with Ruffian. It's Microsoft. I don't even know how you're supposed to make a game in 8 months, which is precisely why they needed to save money and make this an expansion pack. The thing is, I am sure that Microsoft will look at Crackdown 2 sales as an indicator for how much they are willing to put into the series. They probably were not sure with the first one since it came with Halo 3 Beta, so they'll look at this one. For a game that had an 8-month development time with a tiny developer, I am sure that the budget was very low. On the one hand, I want this to sell, because I want Microsoft to see this is an awesome series worth investing more money in. On the other hand, the game is probably not worth $60.

goldenpp72

LordPhoque said:
And we're supposed to be okay with that ? I wish it was more than that, so I just won't buy it at full price.

You can feel how you want, but coming in and being like shock and awe over it is pretty annoying, the game never seemed like anything but, i'm buying it at full price in hopes a full fledged crackdown 3 happens, as is, i'm going to enjoy another romp in the world of crackdown tomorrow.

Owzers

I'm still going to rent the game like planned, i dont have xbox live gold so the lack of me playing multiplayer kept it from buy considerations regardless of reviews.

Why For?

Banned
People shouldn't be jumping off thanks to Reviews. That's stupidity.

The full game is there for you to play for free as a demo. What you see in that demo is what you get.

If you liked the demo, you like the full game. If you hate the demo, then you hate the full game.

I loved the demo.

See you online boys.

jrricky said:
Wow at reviews....I never even knew this was being released this week to be honest...:lol

Considering these are the scores half of this site thought the first game should have gotten yet CD2 upgraded everything I personally loved about CD1, the review scores really don't mean a damn to me.

mik

mik is unbeatable
goldenpp72 said:
I think the people jumping off the bandwagon never really loved crackdown to begin with really
That's right. TRUE fans don't take offense to getting fucked over.

watership

I wonder when the decision was made at Ruffian and Microsoft to go in this direction. Was it just to get Ruffian up and running? I'm sort of confused on why they didn't go all out, instead of what seems to be a Crackdown expansion

I will buy this game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But for 69.99 Canadian? I'll wait until I get it discounted on a trade in or wait until a price drop. I just feel I shouldn't reward decisions like Ruffian and MS made.

I think reviews far too often feel obligated to dilineate the "effort" put into games, like some sort of standard bearer for value. I'm not sure "effort" is the right word. Maybe "substance." Like, I don't get how being in the same city is bad or good. Or why a new one is innately preferable. I don't really see why orbs being in the same spot is something to be concerned over. I mean, I can identify why someone would consider that "lazy", I just don't see what it has to do with the game.

Now, only 10 jumpsuit orbs, that's something I'd care about. Nobody has mentioned that from what I've seen. For as uncontrollable and buggy the jumping/aiming is for some people, it's not nearly reported enough in reviews. Instead I have to read through paragraphs of prose about the fucking Halo 3 beta or the rushed development time.

epmode

Eight months. Christ. That's less than Obsidian had for KOTOR 2, isn't it?

No sale.
Son of Godzilla said:
I think reviews far too often feel obligated to dilineate the "effort" put into games, like some sort of standard bearer for value. I'm not sure "effort" is the right word. Maybe "substance." Like, I don't get how being in the same city is bad or good. Or why a new one is innately preferable. I don't really see why orbs being in the same spot is something to be concerned over. I mean, I can identify why someone would consider that "lazy", I just don't see what it has to do with the game.
I can't even tell if you're joking.

Shurs

dolemite said:
Well, I'm glad I never played Crackdown beyond the demo so the sequel feels very fresh, reviews be damned.

Have you bought Crackdown 2 yet or are you referencing its demo? I ask because, if you have yet to buy Crackdown 2, you should pick up the original Crackdown instead, if only because it's like $13 on Amazon.

While it may not be a leap forward, Crackdown 2 is a fun game, especially when playing co-op with friends.

eek5

Shurs said:
Have you bought Crackdown 2 yet or are you referencing its demo? I ask because, if you have yet to buy Crackdown 2, you should pick up the original Crackdown instead, if only because it's like $13 on Amazon.

While it may not be a leap forward, Crackdown 2 is a fun game, especially when playing co-op with friends.

I know it makes no sense in regards to the game world but I wish there was a try again feature for wing suit stunt challenges. Getting back to the top of buildings is a pita even with the helicopter

Shurs

eek5 said:
I know it makes no sense in regards to the game world but I wish there was a try again feature for wing suit stunt challenges. Getting back to the top of buildings is a pita even with the helicopter

I've 0-5 on wing suit challenges.

Rat Salad

Banned
Its what i hate about the forum. Once generalizing starts everybody dogpiles like a pack of fucking mindless idiots.:lol

derFeef

Good Morning, Agents.
I see there are a lot of abondoning clones and the streets remain full of freaks and Cell scum. Let cowards be cowards, Agent and get to work.

Cancelling pre-orders now because of the reviews? Seriously, there was enough media and impressions (and a DEMO) where we all saw what this game is going to be.

derFeef said:
Good Morning, Agents.
I see there are a lot of abondoning clones and the streets remain full of freaks and Cell scum. Let cowards be cowards, Agent and get to work.

Cancelling pre-orders now because of the reviews? Seriously, there was enough media and impressions (and a DEMO) where we all saw what this game is going to be.
Yep, these overreactions are nothing more than your typical GAF melodrama.
The writing has been on the wall for Crackdown 2 for quite a while now.

The original Crackdown was the very first game I maxed my Gamerscore out on.

I won't be touching this derivative pile of trash with a 10-foot pole... but hey, I've been leaning this way ever since somebody thought it would be a good idea to add zombies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
derFeef said:

As we've seen throughout this generation, a demo isn't a true indicator of the retail product anymore. There have been a bunch of very bad demos to very good games this generation. I don't blame people for waiting for reviews, even if they've played the demo.

Also, the game is sixty fucking dollars. Forgive people for wanting to make more informed purchases or looking to choose between a purchase and a rental.

derFeef said:
Good Morning, Agents.

So what would be an acceptable reason to cancel at this point?

I'm willing to accept that there is none. Putting money down on a game like this is idiotic in the first place.

GhaleonEB

Canceling an order due to the reviews - which aren't bad, by any stretch - is especially odd considering there's a demo. A demo that seems to be entirely representative of the final product: every issue described in, say, Jeremy Parish's review I could identify from my time with the demo. The review contained no revelations, other than to confirm for me that the demo was indeed a vertical slice of the game, warts and all. I really wonder what people are seeing in reviews that they couldn't figure out from the demo.

Tobor

GhaleonEB said:
Canceling an order due to the reviews - which aren't bad, by any stretch - is especially odd considering there's a demo. A demo that seems to be entirely representative of the final product: every issue described in, say, Jeremy Parish's review I could identify from my time with the demo. The review contained no revelations, other than to confirm for me that the demo was indeed a vertical slice of the game, warts and all. I really wonder what people are seeing in reviews that they couldn't figure out from the demo.
I can only speak for myself, but I didnt have time to check out the demo and haven't been following any other earlier threads or info, so I popped in here to see what was what.

Now that I know it's basically an expansion pack, I'll buy it when it's priced accordingly.

I loved the first Crackdown, it's the game that convinced me that I can have fun in Sandbox games (GTA bores me). I have not played the second but I do agree if the game is an exact replica of the first it deserves to get knocked for it. Sequels should improve on it's predecessors, not be almost identical.

Aaron

Tobor said:
Now that I know it's basically an expansion pack, I'll buy it when it's priced accordingly.
I find this a bit of an odd take, since I find (much to my disgust) that the majority of sequels are glorified expansion packs. Did Gears of War 2 really add more to experience of Gears 1, other than more shit vehicle sections and further broken multiplayer? Yes, it had horde mode. Same as ODST. Crackdown 2 has multiplayer. Similar level of effort.

God of War 3 is the same goddamn game as the first. People still buying it.

I'm buying CD2 because I could use more Crackdown. You could make a case of the city being mostly the same, but that city is massive. It's larger than the environments of most non-open world franchises put together. I never felt like I had really gotten all the mileage out of that city, which was a shame considering how well designed it was.

Though to make it simple, I liked the demo so I'm in for the full game. I would expect people who didn't like the demo will pass on it. Reviews continue to not mean shit to me.

Popeck

It's also pretty lame that Keys to the City isn't in the game. If they're going to release that as PDLC: son, I am disappoint. Overall they should given more tools for the players to fool around with. And maybe little more crazy achievements.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Aaron said:
I find this a bit of an odd take, since I find (much to my disgust) that the majority of sequels are glorified expansion packs.

And this is why I wait for them all to die in price. :D

Or, you know, rent. $6 for a week's rental here in my town. Even better.

Popeck said:
It's also pretty lame that Keys to the City isn't in the game. If they're going to release that as PDLC: son, I am disappoint. Overall they should given more tools for the players to fool around with. And maybe little more crazy achievements.

Wha? Is that confirmed?

Aaron

Kintaro said:
And this is why I wait for them all to die in price. :D
This what I usually intend on doing, but by the time they drop in price I decide they're not worth playing at all. There's usually some actual new experience waiting. The only sequel I'm looking forward to is Civilization V, which really changes things up the way a good sequel should.

Popeck

Net_Wrecker said:
Wha? Is that confirmed?

I've played (and enjoyed!) the game for about 15 hours and I've seen no sign of it. It just strikes me odd to not to include in the game. That PDLC part is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Tobor

Aaron said:
I find this a bit of an odd take, since I find (much to my disgust) that the majority of sequels are glorified expansion packs. Did Gears of War 2 really add more to experience of Gears 1, other than more shit vehicle sections and further broken multiplayer? Yes, it had horde mode. Same as ODST. Crackdown 2 has multiplayer. Similar level of effort.

I'm buying CD2 because I could use more Crackdown. You could make a case of the city being mostly the same, but that city is massive. It's larger than the environments of most non-open world franchises put together. I never felt like I had really gotten all the mileage out of that city, which was a shame considering how well designed it was.

Though to make it simple, I liked the demo so I'm in for the full game. I would expect people who didn't like the demo will pass on it. Reviews continue to not mean shit to me.
I didn't buy gears of war 2 or god of war 3, so don't blame me. :lol

derFeef

Son of Godzilla said:
So what would be an acceptable reason to cancel at this point?

I'm willing to accept that there is none. Putting money down on a game like this is idiotic in the first place.
It´s just the odd case of "I need someone who tells me if the game is good, because I am not capable to judge the game myself by the demo"

DuckRacer said:
Crackdown 2's production took 15 months, that "8 months" quote was referencing only the crunch period.

That would probably include pre-production, the main production time seems to have been 12 months:

Gary Liddon said:
We had to be pragmatic and the timescale from inception to gold disc was around 18 months which translate to only around 12 months fully staffed production. During that time we also had to create and staff a studio so a big deal was picking our battles carefully.

bigswords

Just a question, you can host a 4 player coop game but only the host will have his save game saved yea?

Also when you pick up a agility orb will your friends get them as well? Or is there enough agility orbs to get everyone in tip top condition?

watership said:
I wonder when the decision was made at Ruffian and Microsoft to go in this direction. Was it just to get Ruffian up and running? I'm sort of confused on why they didn't go all out, instead of what seems to be a Crackdown expansion

I will buy this game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But for 69.99 Canadian? I'll wait until I get it discounted on a trade in or wait until a price drop. I just feel I shouldn't reward decisions like Ruffian and MS made.

The ign interview read like they were given 8 months by ms to get this out the door. Which seems very very short, i liked the demo shit the four player coop and pvp mp is decent add on to me but its just a shame what couldve been had this game been given more love by ms.

Jb

Aaron said:

What?
The reason Gears 2 and GoW 3 can be considered real full-fledged sequels and CD2 cannot is because both these games have a brand new solo campaign, introducing new mechanics and environments, whereas CD2 does not. ODST is not really a proper sequel to halo 3, but at least it introduces new elements to the franchise.
I really hate when people have such low expectations for $60 games. And I honestly hope that this one won't sell wel because I don't want MS to think it's OK to rush out sequels like this and expect the public to be dumb enough to pay it full price.

Popeck said:
I've played (and enjoyed!) the game for about 15 hours and I've seen no sign of it. It just strikes me odd to not to include in the game. That PDLC part is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Pretty sure there has been confirmation of Avatar Award unlocks coming through 2 additional modes with one being called "Toy Box." I don't know what that means exactly, but I would suspect it's the new Keys To The City.

eek5

Net_Wrecker said:
Pretty sure there has been confirmation of Avatar Award unlocks coming through 2 additional modes with one being called "Toy Box." I don't know what that means exactly, but I would suspect it's the new Keys To The City.
Sounds like it. There was a preview where they had a 4 player mode with keys to the city menu where you could spawn stuff. Hopefully it isn't paid though....

Top Bottom