• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Aaron

Jay-B said:
What?
The reason Gears 2 and GoW 3 can be considered real full-fledged sequels and CD2 cannot is because both these games have a brand new solo campaign, introducing new mechanics and environments, whereas CD2 does not.
If you want to be literal, CD2 DOES have new mechanics and environments. The only difference is unlike those other games, they can't be a series of essentially interchangeable hallways, to either duck behind convenient cover or mash QTE segments in.

Calling Gears 2's campaign 'brand new' is bullshit. Does it have all new enemies? Completely new weapons? Totally original mechanics? Hell, I'm pretty sure many of the textures were reused from the first game. I didn't play God of War 3 enough to judge it to that extent, but what I did play seemed pretty much dead on from the original. You really call this new?

ascully

Amazon release date delivery FAIL, my package which shipped Friday is now scheduled for the 7th. I guess it's because of Monday's holiday :(

epmode said:
Eight months. Christ.

Pretty much. Also I remember hearing that APB is the "spiritual" sequel to Crackdown? (I know nothing about that game)

Also I didn't read any reviews, but how is Crackdown 2 inferior to C1?

xbhaskarx

goldenpp72 said:
I think the people jumping off the bandwagon never really loved crackdown to begin with really

:lol As someone who bought Crackdown on day one, and NOT for the Halo 3 beta, fuck you dude.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The writing has been on the wall for Crackdown 2 for quite a while now.

The original Crackdown was the very first game I maxed my Gamerscore out on.

I won't be touching this derivative pile of trash with a 10-foot pole... but hey, I've been leaning this way ever since somebody thought it would be a good idea to add zombies.

Well said.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
schennmu said:
Pretty much. Also I remember hearing that APB is the "spiritual" sequel to Crackdown? (I know nothing about that game)

APB couldn't be farther from Crackdown without being a cartoon cart racer or something. There is no correlation between the two other the developer.

ascully said:
Amazon release date delivery FAIL, my package which shipped Friday is now scheduled for the 7th. I guess it's because of Monday's holiday :(

damn that sucks.

glad i checked in on this thread otherwise i would have sat around waiting for my package to arrive later this morning.

ah well i'm going to email amazon and see if i can get a refund on my shipping fee.

Jex

So Realtime Worlds don't work on Crackdown 2, they invest their time in APB (which apparently isn't that great) and Ruffian do work on Crackdown 2, but apparently that isn't great either.

Seems like both teams failed to produce outstanding products.

Gazunta

CRACKDOWN 1 HAD ZOMBIES IN IT TOO CHRIST

I'm grumpy. Australian release date got broken today and I can't pick up my copy until tomorrow.

Burger

derFeef said:
Good Morning, Agents.
I see there are a lot of abondoning clones and the streets remain full of freaks and Cell scum. Let cowards be cowards, Agent and get to work.

Cancelling pre-orders now because of the reviews? Seriously, there was enough media and impressions (and a DEMO) where we all saw what this game is going to be.

Why do you care if I cancel ? I don't want to buy shitty games.

I read this:
I know if you were being reductionist, you could boil many game concepts down to a paragraph, but I swear, I'm doing no boiling. It's the same thing. Again and again and again. You'll never fight an enemy that presents any thing close to a challenge, you'll never meet another character, you'll never hear another scrap of dialog (save for the omnipresent, disembodied voice of the Agency Director, who's annoyingly repetitive as often as he's mildly entertaining).

and this:

This is usually the part where I'd say "but if you loved the first game, this is more of the same, so you'll probably love this" but if you really loved the first game, you'd probably be expecting something worthwhile and fresh in exchange for your hard-earned cash and three-and-a-half-year wait. Unfortunately, you're not going to find it here.

And thought, 'fuck that'.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I had my fill with the demo bug. I'm not paying full price for a half baked game. What a shame.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played Crackdown 2 (full version) almost the entire day today on my day off. My opinion of the game, since I began playing it on Friday:

Friday: MORE CRACKDOWN YESSSSSS. ORBS ORBS ORBS.

Weekend: Wow... this is still very repetitive, even though so many people complained about that in Crackdown 1. It's the same map, too. Feeling a little "meh" towards this...

Monday: Holy shit I just leapt through the air tossing a grenade at my feet to kill 5+ gang members, lobbed a rocket at a dude in a tower off to my right, and switched to my sniper to p'zone some fool in a single jump.

So... yeah. I loved it, was down on it, and am back to loving it.

Ultimately, it's not the sequel I wanted, but WTF... the hate in this topic is WAAAY too strong. The feeling of Crackdown's gunplay/combat is completely unique and I've been craving more of it ever since I played the first.

It might not be the sequel we wanted but it's better than no sequel at all. It is INCREDIBLY fun to see some orb on a building across the street, gauge the jump over there, back up to get a running start, and then leap like forty fucking feet to cling onto the other building's window. I think some people have forgotten that.

Edit: If Crackdown 3 does get made, it NEEDS to have a proper story mode, though. With characters. And dialogue. And a plot. And varying mission types. The first game not having one was acceptable. The sequel not having one was annoying but understandable. Third game? No more excuses.

Sean

Banned
Jexhius said:
So Realtime Worlds don't work on Crackdown 2, they invest their time in APB (which apparently isn't that great) and Ruffian do work on Crackdown 2, but apparently that isn't great either.

The biggest failure here is Microsoft for creating this situation in the first place.

If MS had greenlit a Crackdown sequel right away, Realtime Worlds would've had three years and could've produced an amazing follow-up. Instead Microsoft dicked around and waited for absolutely no reason at all. I mean once they decided to do the Halo 3 beta thing (and that was announced like five or six months before release IIRC), that should've been enough of a reason to have RTW start work on a Crackdown 2 right away because the exposure this new franchise had was huge.

hamchan

Aaron said:
Calling Gears 2's campaign 'brand new' is bullshit. Does it have all new enemies? Completely new weapons? Totally original mechanics? Hell, I'm pretty sure many of the textures were reused from the first game. I didn't play God of War 3 enough to judge it to that extent, but what I did play seemed pretty much dead on from the original. You really call this new?

Never played Gears 2 but calling God Of War 3 not "new" is just wrong. Even ignoring the story and graphics, God of War 3's battle system and level design shits on the first game's. Now if you were to compare if to the God of War 2, that might be a different story. I think that's more because GoW2 was a huge improvement over GoW1. I think it's unfortunate that Crackdown 2 doesn't follow that and offers minimal improvement over Crackdown 1. It just feels like wasted opportunity.

Rad-

GDJustin said:
Edit: If Crackdown 3 does get made, it NEEDS to have a proper story mode, though. With characters. And dialogue. And a plot. And varying mission types. The first game not having one was acceptable. The sequel not having one was annoying but understandable. Third game? No more excuses.

No! That's not what Crackdown's about. Keep the basic idea they have here but make it deeper.

Perhaps loot based equipment? Or whatever to make the characters more customizable.

Varying missions yes, I agree with that.

Create some unique online mode that fits Crackdown. Maybe co-op rush of some sort? Many co-op teams fighting for the same objective or something like that.

Flavius

Can't wait for myself and the other folks who kept their pre-orders to get the game, start having some fun, and start posting about it here. This negativity shite's getting reeeee-dick-u-lus.

Barrett2

No offense, but I find it incredible that people are trying to argue against having any kind of coherent characters, story, plot, dialogue, etc.. as if the lack of those things is now a "positive" aspect of the series.

It's now like the first game is canonized for some of you and everything about it was a sparkling gem that we shouldn't have expected improvement on in the sequel. I mean, come on..

I liked the "plot" of the first one, getting cute little dossiers on the comic james bond villains you were about to go wipe out. Maybe flesh that out a bit.

I can't believe they didn't stick with the gang structure though. Sure there wasn't much actual tactical benefit to doing things one way or the other, but it was just a really cool feature that made you feel like what you were doing had a real impact. Plus it would be soooo easy to diversify missions if you focused on the leaders having different abilities and AI.

lawblob said:
No offense, but I find it incredible that people are trying to argue against having any kind of coherent characters, story, plot, dialogue, etc.. as if the lack of those things is now a "positive" aspect of the series.

It is a positive thing. It is the ultimate sandbox game. I don't want a GTA storyline in my Crackdown. Fuck that shit, give me freedom to really do missions in the order I want. And don't bother me with a hundred cutscenes when I just want to jump around shooting bad guys and hunting orbs.

If I want a game with a good story, I'll pick something else up, because that isn't Crackdown.

Flavius

lawblob said:

It's now like the first game is canonized for some of you and everything about it was a sparkling gem that we shouldn't have expected improvement on in the sequel. I mean, come on..

You wanted story, plot, and dialogue...from Crackdown???

Not getting where some of you folks are coming from, nor what the basis is for your expectations.

No precedent for this, lawdawg. ;)

derFeef

Jexhius said:

Crackdown 1 and as far as I can tell CD 2, are superiour compared to the abomination that is APB.

lawblob said:

I think that the problem is that once you've started down the road of investing into that shit, you're likely to fall in line with just about every other game out there that starts in on force-feeding a bunch of production value that no one cares about past the first look...if that. (And that begs the question of whether that time and money should have been earmarked for that instead of more important elements that are key to the Crackdown experience.) I think that people want to own their experience in a less-encumbered game, like Crackdown, and not get bogged down in the detailed and cinematic overdose that most games indulge in these days. Just set up the pins with as little context as necessary and let the players knock 'em down. I mean, sometimes a game is better when it's focused on just being a game and not some interactive story that could be so much better served in another title that wants to cater to those who want that. No one really needs a deeper motivation to kill these bad guys, do they? Really? Why insult the intelligence and taste, and waste the time of those who just want to get right to it? Nothing hurts, IMO, worse than the push for every game to start getting pulled thin by trying to be everything to everyone when the resources are still finite and should be laser-focused on doing better what everyone who looks forward to playing Crackdown probably really cares about. If you want to broaden appeal, then there are better ways to do it. The second you start to really get serious about storytelling elements, you start feeding a desire for more of that in subsequent releases...is that what Crackdown should do? There are other open world games that offer that and there's no reason why every other one should homogenize because someone thinks it's the fucking standard of how you're 'supposed to do it'. Fuck that.

Not wanting that extra detailing is different to not wanting story or characters or backstory...but there's a need for real restraint about what's appropriate to the experience. Without that, those things threaten to intrude and start to shape the actual gameplay without real value added, like trying to maintain coherency inside of that writing that might just eliminate a lot of fun possibilities in the actual game design to no one's benefit except for the two geeks who want to create compelling fanfics that are defensible for being completely plausible in some science-fiction sense. Let's not serve those that want Midichlorians-level of explanation and shading of detail to what amounts to being an action hero sandbox. It's just dead weight. In most cases in a game like this, I think it's extremely important that the writing and extra frilly shit should serve the game and not the other way around. This is the type of experience, IMO, that would do so much better to focus on bookending with lore and setup rather that provide much more inside of the gameplay period. That leaves it free to be whatever gamers decide it is and not break anything while allowing the margins to be filled with whatever's clever for context in the game's beginning and end while lining things up for whatever comes next.

Aaron

hamchan said:
Never played Gears 2 but calling God Of War 3 not "new" is just wrong. Even ignoring the story and graphics, God of War 3's battle system and level design shits on the first game's. Now if you were to compare if to the God of War 2, that might be a different story. I think that's more because GoW2 was a huge improvement over GoW1. I think it's unfortunate that Crackdown 2 doesn't follow that and offers minimal improvement over Crackdown 1. It just feels like wasted opportunity.
This is coming from someone who finished GoW, but only played 3 at E3. At that shallow level, the fighting seemed identical, and it was still honestly piss poor compared to Bayonetta. The level design seemed to hit exactly the same beats as the first game, with the huge god/titan, the fighting in an enclosed space, the running down the corridors, the god awful rope sections, the wall climbing, etc. I found it very boring.

Crackdown 2 is only lightly improved, but then the system is so unique that I'm not tired of it with the way I am tired of Devil May Cry clones.

lawblob said:
It's very easy. I think the GTA series is SHIT by restricting you to do certain missions in order to progress, even if they're garbage. Quest lines essentially. That's essentially for having a coherent plot and characters though... so keep that stuff far, far away from Crackdown. Let me keep my freedom to go anywhere and blow shit up. Plot and characters would only drag down the experience.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think a silly, over-the-top comic style story + cutscenes would be a positive addition to a Crackdown game.

there's no way this should be a full priced game, it's a remix!

compare it to halo reach, or uncharted 2, or fallout... I can't justify spending that amount of cash on this game.

back when I was into crackdown1 I thought it was a good first effort and a sequel was needed to realize its potential, but this doesn't really improve on it at all.
it'll still be good because it's crackdown, but that isn't enough to have me running to the games store, i've waited 3 years, what's another few months? (the price will go down like the agency building jump).

MMaRsu

Gazunta said:
CRACKDOWN 1 HAD ZOMBIES IN IT TOO CHRIST

I'm grumpy. Australian release date got broken today and I can't pick up my copy until tomorrow.

Zombies really are the least of my problems with this game.

I loved the first one, but I supposed my love isn't of the "unconditionally unwavering" type love that a lot of you have for the franchise. I didn't care for the demo at all, and Im not one for letting reviews make or not make my purchases for me, but almost all of them say the same negative things (a lot of which I pulled myself from the demo) and Im sorta surprised that so many are giving this game the "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks of this after a week of solid play. This is definitely on my buy list, just not buy now. Already have a epic backlog, and a copy of Crackdown 1.

Phloxy

Man, hatred for this game runs deep, it's all good, can't wait to stomp zombies with some buddies. Who else on gaf is down?!?!?!!!

JambiBum

So as how to get the ducks. Do I just play the facebook game while linked to my gamertag and then go to the chuck's ducks booth at the fairground to find them?

TheApatheticOne said:
I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks of this after a week of solid play. This is definitely on my buy list, just not buy now. Already have a epic backlog, and a copy of Crackdown 1.

I played the demo for over 10 hours, so I think I'll be fine with the total game :D

TimeLike

JambiBum said:
So as how to get the ducks. Do I just play the facebook game while linked to my gamertag and then go to the chuck's ducks booth at the fairground to find them?

Just clear out the carnival tactical location and the ducks are there. No FB required.

Feindflug

hamchan said:

We're talking about new not improved...GoW3 is definitely not new and besides 2-3 really impressive areas visual/scale wise we're talking about a game with the same camera, the same battle system and the same game design from the previous games - I can't see what's new about it.

Also I'm still not getting why Crackdown 2 is getting so much hate - did anyone expect something different from what we played in the demo? a game very similar to the first with more weapons, more players, more missions, more orbs is what I expected and I'm happy with that as long as it's not broken in any way which from what I read this is not the case.

To be honest I'm more curious to play the game after those reviews/impressions...reviewers using the too similar to the previous game or no replayability/10hrs long complaints to rip games to pieces is getting stupid lately mainly because it looks like they almost choose to focus on the above "negative aspects" when in other cases they just focus on the positive completely avoiding talking about such problems/drawbacks...I really liked the demo so I'm getting this game no matter how negative the reviews are - I enjoyed too many games that reviewers didn't like to pass on a sequel of a game that I loved just because the same reviewers that made the first game to have a 83% average rating on metacritic continue to hate fun.

lawblob said:

:lol :lol :lol

Ramenman

KEEP YOUR STORY AND STRUCTURE AWAY FROM MY CRACKDOWN.

Aaron said:
It's very easy. I think the GTA series is SHIT by restricting you to do certain missions in order to progress, even if they're garbage. Quest lines essentially. That's essentially for having a coherent plot and characters though... so keep that stuff far, far away from Crackdown. Let me keep my freedom to go anywhere and blow shit up. Plot and characters would only drag down the experience.

Exactly.

Plus if you want to have story and characters and plots and stuff why don't you just play every other open-world game out there... It's not like this stuff is rare or something.

Shurs

schennmu said:

I can only speak for myself, but the reason I like the first game more than Crackdown 2 is that it offers more freedom in the way that you progress through the game. That being said, Crackdown 2 is still a lot of fun, and I'd recommend it to anyone who loved the first game.

Shurs said:
...the reason I like the first game more than Crackdown 2 is that it offers more freedom in the way that you progress through the game.

Is that simply because there is more to do? As complexity rises so does the need for direction?

I think I am bailing out on this one too. I just can't justify spending $60 for a slightly enhanced Crackdown 1. I'll have to be LTTP on this one.

Shurs

Opus Angelorum said:
Is that simply because there is more to do? As complexity rises so does the need for direction?

Saying that there's more to do, at least when it comes to progressing the story, is a bit of a misnomer, as you do pretty much the same thing over and over.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the first Crackdown was the freedom you were granted in playing through the game. Your goal was simple. Take down 21 mobsters however you wanted, in whatever order you wanted. You could come through the front gate guns blazing, facing a gang of henchmen, or you could sneak in stealthily and assassinate your target. You could take out individual generals, weakening the crime syndicate or you could go right for the crime boss. The choice was in your hands. While Crackdown 2 maintains some of that freedom in its mission structure, for example you can fight for and claim Absorption Units in any order you wish, but it's once you are tasked with protecting beacons against waves of enemies that the game feels restrictive and like a step back from the original Crackdown. This is made worse as you'll have to protect nine beacons before you reach the end of the game. Protecting the beacons is easily my least favorite part of the game, as it deviates from the freeform nature that I loved about the first game.

You can also reclaim strongholds throughout the city, the benefit being that claimed strongholds become drop points for weapons and vehicles. Once again, the restrictiveness of a mission structure gets in the way. To claim the stronghold you have to go to a specific point within each and call for a helicopter. At this point, a bunch of enemies will spawn and you'll have to eliminate them all in order for your backup to arrive. While you do have a lot of flexibility in how you deal with these enemies, you are limited to a specific area. Go outside of that area and you fail the mission. It's a shame, as these battle are enjoyable, for the most part, but it can be frustrating when your plan of attack is thwarted, not by the enemy, but by an invisible barrier that you're not allowed to cross.

Edit: I don't want this to come off like I'm trashing the game, as I really had a good time playing it. I think that people who loved the first game and wanted more will have a great time with this title. I think that people playing the series for the first time would enjoy it too, as it's a fun game. It's just that I'd recommend to anyone looking to play a Crackdown game for the first time that they start with the original as it can found new for under $20.

lawblob said:

If you want the missions to be all GTA-like with linear "Go hear and talk to ______, do scripted Helicopter chase scene, blow up vehicle X, run from cops for 10 minutes", then yes, I'd argue that Crackdown doesn't need that.

All it really needed was more enemy diversity and challenge. We sort of got some of the former, but they really needed super powered bosses for the latter.

It's about as pure a sandbox game as there is, it doesn't need escort missions, shopping centers, bro dates, and strip clubs to be a more complete game.

Imperial Hot said:
I think I am bailing out on this one too. I just can't justify spending $60 for a slightly enhanced Crackdown 1. I'll have to be LTTP on this one.

I read this and thought about what the UV Shotgun does to a cave full of freaks and I actually laughed out loud.

I get that people are preemptively underwhelmed and passing on it, but describing this game as "slightly enhanced" is not accurate in the least.

Barrett2

Aaron said:

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's about as pure a sandbox game as there is, it doesn't need escort missions, shopping centers, bro dates, and strip clubs to be a more complete game.

Don't get me wrong, im' not saying Crackdown should become GTA, the last thing I want is overly-long "couseeeen Niiiikoooo" cutscenes, or answering your Agency cellphone and going on a scripted bro-date, but I think there is a happy medium they could hit. It IS possible to introduce some story elements, dialogue, and other characters without going overboard, GTA-style. It's not an all-or-nothing choice.

Mohonky

Yeh kind of luke warm about the game at this stage. It's still Crackdown but it seems like a few of the little changes just don't stack right.

Taking out the morphing vehicles. Seriously? That made the first one awesome, now when you level up all you get is a vehicle unlock from the Agency drop point. Definitely doesn't give me the 'ooooh what'll happen at this level' anticipation of the vehicles.

It's really hard to tell what ledges you'll grab. The first one was pretty obvious, this one he doesn't grab onto ledges I'm sure he would normally grab, while others I wouldn't expect to be able to he does.

The big one for me, the targeting system. Man is it awful. Was it this bad in the first one or am I imagining things? The targeting reticule is very slow and the lock on is frustrating to say the least. There will be a group of guys in front of me and he'll lock onto the truck in the background with no one in it. Or the game will automatically prefer to lock on explosive barrels instead of enemies as preferences. After playing Red Dead that did it so well, this is incredibly annoying.

I'm still enjoying running round looking for orbs and going all looney but theres lots of niggly shit that gets in the way of this game from being the blast it was initially. Can't quite put my finger on it but out and out I would say the first one is still the better title. It might be a little rougher round the edges these days but it seemed to gel together better than this one.

Disappointing really considering the first is one of my all time favourite games.

Meier

As someone who was Day 1 on the original Crackdown, I can't say I am surprised at the poor reviews of this one. I've expressed concern from the moment the first trailer was released and frankly have not been excited about it due to the abundance of zombies/whatever. I know they were there for a portion in the first one, but they were by no means the focus of the game. Crackdown shouldn't be a "me too" game. There was a lot of originality and flair in the first game and it feels like they've lost that. I expect this to bomb massively due in part to the poor reviews and also the lack of advertising. I might pick it up on a fire sale within a few months.

dyergram

The whole edge biased toward uk devs bullshit is getting so old. A 8 is exactly what I expected from EDGE they gave the first a 9 their scores are often in line with eurogamer and games tm.

Jb

mescalineeyes said:
I don't mean to be a dick, but this time the EDGE score is to be taken with a grain of salt. UK Dev...
Same thing with eurogamer, who also gave it an 8.
Edit: They gave the first a 9? Wtf? And some people think they have the most trustworthy reviews out there?

Top Bottom