• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Dave1988

Got this on PS3 just now. Downloading the 39MB patch now. If anyone have any questions about the game, shoot.

How does the image quality and overall performance of the full game compare to the beta that was releases not so long ago? Better, worse, on par?

Metal-Geo

So I just played Crysis1 for the first time in a very long while.

Here's a shocker: Crysis is a 6 year old game. And boy does it feel like it. Its just.. clunky. I have a super high-end rig so it definitely looks nice. But theres a few very obvious things that feel off. First, the scale. YOU ARE TINY in this game. You're like 30 inches tall! I ran up to a pickup truck and it the bed of it was at shoulder height. After noticing this, it kinda ruined the whole sense of immersion for me. I started to notice that all the plants and ferns are GIGANTIC as well. The ENGRISH of the KPA jumped out at me tool. Something I did not notice when I played this game way back in 2008. This is possibly the worst part.

Finally, the combat is way less fun than I remember. Juggling between the different abilities is very cumbersome. I felt like a drunk trying to juggle or something. My memories of Crysis are basically me as the fucking predator phasing in and out of abilities at a rate so twitchy and hyper that to the observer I must have looked like a shape changing chameleon. In practice though you're more like an amnesiac wizard trying your damnedest to cast the right spell. Its suuuuuuuuuuuper frustrating. To top it off, theres just not enough ammo.

It's still viscerally impressive and uniquely Crysis. But not quite as monumentally amazing as I remember. Kind of a bummer.
The KPA only speak Engrish on Easy, Normal and Hard. If you play the game on Delta, they speak Korean. Making grenades being thrown at you a lot more surprising. I think it's a clever detail. :) (Of course you'll hear a lot of 'yankeezakitah!')

EDIT: Well goddammit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well who the hell is gonna play Crysis on the hardest mode while chilling out on a Saturday?
Certainly not me.

So I just played Crysis1 for the first time in a very long while.

Here's a shocker: Crysis is a 6 year old game. And boy does it feel like it. Its just.. clunky. I have a super high-end rig so it definitely looks nice. But theres a few very obvious things that feel off. First, the scale. YOU ARE TINY in this game. You're like 30 inches tall! I ran up to a pickup truck and it the bed of it was at shoulder height. After noticing this, it kinda ruined the whole sense of immersion for me. I started to notice that all the plants and ferns are GIGANTIC as well. The ENGRISH of the KPA jumped out at me tool. Something I did not notice when I played this game way back in 2008. This is possibly the worst part.

Finally, the combat is way less fun than I remember. Juggling between the different abilities is very cumbersome. I felt like a drunk trying to juggle or something. My memories of Crysis are basically me as the fucking predator phasing in and out of abilities at a rate so twitchy and hyper that to the observer I must have looked like a shape changing chameleon. In practice though you're more like an amnesiac wizard trying your damnedest to cast the right spell. Its suuuuuuuuuuuper frustrating. To top it off, theres just not enough ammo.

It's still viscerally impressive and uniquely Crysis. But not quite as monumentally amazing as I remember. Kind of a bummer.

This is why I cringe when gaffers band together and speak of how much better 1 is than 2. It's better in some ways and possibly contained potential that was squandered in Crysis 2, but to me Crysis 2 felt tighter, maneuverability felt more fluid, enemies were more fun to fight (minus glitchy ass AI). Crysis 2 was just as sandboxy as 1. You could claim that in 1 you could start your attack from more directions but whats the difference if it doesn't actually add to the experience? I can enter the base from the far left or far right, great, I still have a pretty similar experience as the base is a square enclosed area with a bunch of little shacks. Crysis 2 has more verticality and set variety.

This is coming from someone who actually played 1 after 2; I think the graphics and the idea of suit abilities just blew people away in 2007 and 2 wasn't near as big a jump, along with some things that definitely held it back from being great like story, slightly more linearity rather than less (part of the squandered potential)..oh and it wasn't in an awesome tropical jungle.

edit: Also, suit upgrades were pretty cool in 2.

How does the image quality and overall performance of the full game compare to the beta that was releases not so long ago? Better, worse, on par?

I just started the first mission now. I don't know why the fuck would they put press square to skip this cutscene shit in the middle of screen, anyways the tutorial and that shit just turned me off. Then the first mission started... I didn't find Crysis 2' s console graphics excellent or anything but this looks fucking awesome. Really good. I just started so i am not gonna comment on anything else but the graphics looks excellent. Also art direction seems better than the other Crysis games out there.

strata8

I just started the first mission now. I don't know why the fuck would they put press square to skip this cutscene shit in the middle of screen, anyways the tutorial and that shit just turned me off. Then the first mission started... I didn't find Crysis 2' s console graphics excellent or anything but this looks fucking awesome. Really good. I just started so i am not gonna comment on anything else but the graphics looks excellent. Also art direction seems better than the other Crysis games out there.

Does it wrench control away from you like Crysis 2 did? I hated that shit.

Have finished first 4 missions, pretty damn fun. Sexy graphics (even on 360) and rad gunplay.
Normal seems like a cakewalk and story is nonsense but otherwise.. Fun! (50% done, 3 hours in btw). Played 3 hours of multi too. Really good, 100 times better framerate than the beta. A lot of shotgun/cloakers though :(.
All around, good buy.

EagleEyes

Have finished first 4 missions, pretty damn fun. Sexy graphics (even on 360) and rad gunplay.
Normal seems like a cakewalk and story is nonsense but otherwise.. Fun! (50% done, 3 hours in btw). Played 3 hours of multi too. Really good, 100 times better framerate than the beta. A lot of shotgun/cloakers though :(.
All around, good buy.
Framerate good on the campaign? What about screen tearing? I'm thinking of just getting this on the 360 and just want a little assurance since these 2 things are always my biggest gripes lol. Thanks in advance.

Zeth

Probably played 10 hours of Crysis 2 campaign in the last few weeks since I discovered MaldoHD mod. Such a beautiful thing. If 3 looks anywhere near as good I'll be blown away.

edit: And greatest Walking Simulator of all time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All around, good buy.

what did you think of 2? and, is it better than the poopile of 2?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Looks like ill be starting this on a hard mode for the 360 then.

Playing Crysis 2 on Veteran was a good challenge for me.

Hypron

I did actually. It's a lot more fun that way, for me.

Me too. Delta is the only good way of playing Crysis. It improves the immersion a lot by removing all the shit on the HUD and making the Koreans speak Korean. It also adds additional enemies in places apparently (I wouldn't know, I've only played the game in hard mode in the demo for 20 minutes before switching to Delta).

I also don't get the complaints about the nano suit in the first game... People must not be aware that there are shortcuts for the modes. Speed mode: 2xshift, stealth mode: 2xctrl, strength mode jump: 2xspace bar, strength mode punch: 2xT. To get back in armor mode you need to use the menu though (v + left/up diagonal). It's way better than Crysis 2's suit unless you play with a pad. You can choose what you want to do instead of being forced to go into speed mode to run for example.

Edit: Goddayum the game looks mighty fine on 360, how did Crytek manage to do that? I'll still get it on PC (because even though my PC is crap it's still way more powerful than my 360 haha) when I do have some spare cash but that's pretty impressive for some 2005 hardware.

Anyone have an idea of how large the PC file size is, and when do you think Nvidia will release their optimised drivers for the game?.

Lima

What is this wizardry? They are doing stuff that I've never seen on the 360 before and the framerate doesn't seem to be total shit this time. Good stuff meine Landsleute bei Crytek.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, just read any thread where Crytek talks about the console version of the game and you'll see heaps of pessimists.

Really?! Even after the original Crysis? That game still looks better than most games on the 360. And this is the 360 version I'm talking about.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Crysis 2 looked pretty great on the 360 also except for that weird noise filter they applied to everything. The fact this looks even better is impressive.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really?! Even after the original Crysis? That game still looks better than most games on the 360. And this is the 360 version I'm talking about.

Did you see the beta? It looked wretched.

I'm disappointed I cancelled my PS3 preorder now since 2 is my favorite FPS this gen. I'm kind of strapped for cash ATM and have plenty of other games coming so I'll try to hold out to hear if a PS4 version gets announced but I may cave sooner than later.

Lima

Crysis 2 looked pretty great on the 360 also except for that weird noise filter they applied to everything. The fact this looks even better is impressive.

Sure it looked great but it ran at sub 30fps most of the time. C3 seems to have a more steady framerate.

Shit, EA keep taking down the damn 360 gameplay videos. Can anyone tell me if the FOV looks better than the Beta? That was the only thing holding me back.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shit, EA keep taking down the damn 360 gameplay videos. Can anyone tell me if the FOV looks better than the Beta? That was the only thing holding me back.
The console betas looked like complete ass so I don't know why EA would want to take down proof that the console ports aren't garbage.

Reiko

Banned
My jaw is still on the floor from all that fucking grass.

Up there with the very best that consoles have to offer (PS3 and 360 exclusives). And arguably at the top.

Top Bottom