• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I have a big problemo...

So when I load a savegame, either as I load the game or after death, it just shows a black screen. The only thing i can do to combat this is to select "Restart Level"... but now I have no weapons and nor do the enemies. It's quite funny, but I can't play the game!

Please help, GAF.

I just watched PREDATOR again last night and noticed how Crysis is a 100% ripoff of that movie. Come on, huge jungle with guerillas and alien(s) from outer space, team that is lead by a black guy... Only difference is that Predators powers are moved to the main character and the game ends in some kind of spaceship, most likely from Alien 1.

Note: I haven't actually played the game enough to know more about the story outside the videos and trailers and Borys, so some info might not actually be correct

pff, ripoffs.

purg3

slept with Malkin
30wqgi1.jpg

Just installed HP's custom config, and it's pretty awesome. I toned down the bloom/HDR to the default levels.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I had a number of shadowing issues with HP's config. I jumped into a boat and they were popping in along the rocky shore and generally looked pretty jittery and unnatural. Don't know if it was something I did, but I went back to the original psuedo-DX10 config I was using before and the issue resolved itself.

Nice purg3, I see you got your rig together successfully, my 8800GTS 512 comes in Tuesday.

And you say everything is on high? Id turn shadows to med and postproc to med if you want some extra gains. But you said it already runs smooth so whats the point I guess.

PetriP-TNT said:
I just watched PREDATOR again last night and noticed how Crysis is a 100% ripoff of that movie. Come on, huge jungle with guerillas and alien(s) from outer space, team that is lead by a black guy... Only difference is that Predators powers are moved to the main character and the game ends in some kind of spaceship, most likely from Alien 1.

Note: I haven't actually played the game enough to know more about the story outside the videos and trailers and Borys, so some info might not actually be correct

pff, ripoffs.

The gameplay is straight up predator. I've told several of my friends that "it does a better job being a predator game than any predator game did" in describing the game. I guess you could call it a ripoff, except you actually have mission objectives and all that and aren't just hunting people. But I think that it works in the games favor rather than it's detriment.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Agent Ironside said:
Nice purg3, I see you got your rig together successfully, my 8800GTS 512 comes in Tuesday.

And you say everything is on high? Id turn shadows to med and postproc to med if you want some extra gains. But you said it already runs smooth so whats the point I guess.

actually since I'm using HP's custom config, it's basically running on very high settings that would otherwise be available in DX10. It drops below 20fps when I first load the game, but after a few seconds, it sticks around 30fps and rarely dips.

I am very impressed with how the crysis demo so far runs on my ancient p4 3ghz and x1950pro with 1.5gigs of ram. I know a lot of people have bitched about how this game runs, but i have no complaints considering i can even run it with this rig. I cannot wait to buy my new pc in a few months so i can turn options up to high or even very high.

purg3 said:
actually since I'm using HP's custom config, it's basically running on very high settings that would otherwise be available in DX10. It drops below 20fps when I first load the game, but after a few seconds, it sticks around 30fps and rarely dips.

What card do you have again?

Doc Evils

some more snaps with HP's final config:

hx5jmc.jpg

2nqwqph.jpg

2r2p2rk.jpg

6tg30o.jpg

15h1oj8.jpg

earuiu.jpg

zlzrx1.jpg

2ex94qf.jpg

The final config is perfect imho and makes the gaming look pretty amazing. I wonder why Crytek did not have this as standard.

Davidion

Doc Evils said:
some more snaps with HP's final config:

The final config is perfect imho and makes the gaming look pretty amazing. I wonder why Crytek did not have this as standard.

Have you gone to the Core yet using that config? It makes the whole place almost pitch black. It's VERY atmospheric, but it doesn't show off the visual eye-candy like the default config does.

Doc Evils

BeeDog said:
Doc Evils, what version is the final version of the HP config, and where did you get it? :D

here: http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=13790

BeeDog said:
Have you gone to the Core yet using that config? It makes the whole place almost pitch black. It's VERY atmospheric, but it doesn't show off the visual eye-candy like the default config does.

nope. don't really like that level but I guess I might give it a try.

dLMN8R

So how does that config perform compared to the game running on high/very high? I can play through the game on High but my Opteron 165 is holding back my 8800GT a bit.

Doc Evils

dLMN8R said:
So how does that config perform compared to the game running on high/very high? I can play through the game on High but my Opteron 165 is holding back my 8800GT a bit.

I actually found it smoother than 1.0 with all the extra detail heh.

BeeDog

I think it's noticeably darker now. Looks better imo.

Also, I was right about my computer choking to death; jesus christ did the tweak strain the shit out of my PC. The graphics card surely got a hernia just trying to render a single frame. :'(

Doc Evils

Pharmacy said:
grease filter??????????

doc evils dont stop posting screens and keep trying different configs please, love you

thats the thing. His skin looks like skin. not a flat tone that you see in 1.0. HP's is the best config you can find since it also includes a few perfomance tweaks.

mind you he states that the minimum for this config is an 8800 and a decent dual core cpu.

Steeven

I finally got a chance to play with the full version and I like it very much. My rig can't run it on maximum settings, but I don't care for that. It runs smooth on High Detail, looks great and the gameplay is open, kinda sand-boxed, but very fun to play. Great stuff. Sure gonna play it again when I buy a new rig or something.

SOLDIER

I purchased this game along with Vista Ultimate the other day, and I'm looking to configure it to the best of my PC's abilities.

First, my specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4000+
2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512mb

I've got the game running on high settings, 2xAA (but might turn it off due to recommendations), v-synch enabled in my graphics card but not the game itself. It runs pretty smoothly at 30 fps (that's the frame limit, right?), with some minor choppiness here and there.

The most major issue I have is that the grass and trees in the far distance are colored bright yellow and are low res, until I walk up closer to them. This seems to be a draw distance issue.

So I'm trying to look into tweaking my graphics card for optimal performance. What do those drivers you listed in the OP do? Also, someone gave me a link to this mod which is supposed to spruce up the textures without any performance hits.

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=14195&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

I already installed it, but haven't checked it yet. Do you guys recommend that HP mod instead? If so, how can I install that one and replace the mod I linked?

Basically any tips you can give on tweaking my graphics card.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Crysis runs above 30fps, as long as your system can handle it. You're probably not going to see much over 30 with Vista with the game running on very high settings.

Mods adjust the game configuration, not your graphics card, by adding a configuration file to the Crysis folder and/or editing the CvarGroups subfolder and files. You can add as many configuration files as you like, as long as you rename them so only one is applied at a time. Same with Cvar folders. Each mod usually has instructions attached to make it easy.

If you want to overclock you CPU, GPU, or memory, then you're on your own. You can find plenty of help online.

Edit: Oh, and if you have AA on in the game settings, turn it off. ;)

Ryu1999

For me, the leaked nvidia 171.16 drivers made a big difference in terms of playability. Everyone mentioned that the
snow
levels were killing their framerates, but when I finally got to that part with the drivers mentioned above it was smooth (well as smooth as the game normally was). This was with HP's config under XP 32

BeeDog

Ryu1999 said:
For me, the leaked nvidia 171.16 drivers made a big difference in terms of playability. Everyone mentioned that the snow levels were killing their framerates, but when I finally got to that part with the drivers mentioned above it was smooth (well as smooth as the game normally was). This was with HP's config under XP 32

Some people have reported that it's the patch that improves the snow level performance. Maybe it's a combination of both then?

Ryu1999

BeeDog said:
Some people have reported that it's the patch that improves the snow level performance. Maybe it's a combination of both then?

No idea, I only played it with the patch installed :shrugs:

Davidion

Here are some pictures taken with the latest 1.3 config. There might be some spoilers so expose to the board at your discretion. The pictures are a little compressed so they don't look as good as the original, and you can see some of the framerate damage. :lol

A little scenery
http://i32.tinypic.com/awol09.jpg

A bit of firefight action
http://i28.tinypic.com/efgakp.jpg

Some "god rays"
http://i27.tinypic.com/2niv4zr.jpg

Mountain Before (Taken with NPC's in lower right corner for scale)
http://i30.tinypic.com/206yl1z.jpg

Mountain After
http://i27.tinypic.com/2eoefbk.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MadOdorMachine said:
How do you take an in-game screenshot?

F12

I haven't found a custom config (aside from the XP DX10-ish file) that I like. They all tend to turn the bloom up to 11 and it hurts my eyes. I think Crytek's lighting is pretty nice. I just adjust the contrast and gamma with the sliders in the game menu to get a better contrast range and it looks phenomenal.

Also, with HP's config, I take about a 10-15fps beating and it eats about 40% more memory on average.

Also also, I just got eaten by a motherfucking shark and shat a little bit.

Seems like I'll finally be getting my 8800gt this week..

So, does running the dx9 mode on Vista differ from dx9 on XP? i.e. are the XP drivers still better optimalized?

SOLDIER

Ryu1999 said:
For me, the leaked nvidia 171.16 drivers made a big difference in terms of playability. Everyone mentioned that the
snow
levels were killing their framerates, but when I finally got to that part with the drivers mentioned above it was smooth (well as smooth as the game normally was). This was with HP's config under XP 32

Where can I get driver (or rather, should I)?

And what are some basic things I should do regarding my graphics card and CPU, just the quick guide to maximum performance?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MadOdorMachine said:
I've done that but I don't know where the pictures are stored. Do you know what the default location is?

Yup. Check your Windows user folder. :)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SOLDIER said:
Where can I get driver (or rather, should I)?

And what are some basic things I should do regarding my graphics card and CPU, just the quick guide to maximum performance?

I would nab the latest official nvidia drivers from their site. The other drivers are beta and they might not be too stable just yet.

As far as your proc and gpu, are you wanting to overclock?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
These screenshots are more for help rather than showing off. Everytime I get to the end of the second level, I'm unable to progress. I've tried reloading from different save points and this weekend, I started the game over and also loaded patch 1.1. I'm curious if this is what I'm supposed to see at the end of the second level, and if so, how do I get through these boulders. Are there any other patches that might fix this. Needless to say, I'm pretty ticked off about this after upgrading my GPU and power supply.

Prphet Meet-Up
ScreenShot0009.jpg

Follow Prophet
ScreenShot0010.jpg

Into the Cave
ScreenShot0012.jpg

Boulders Block the Cave
ScreenShot0022.jpg

BeeDog

As soon as you step into the cave there, the screen should fade to black and the next level should start loading. Really strange; did you try reinstalling the game? Maybe some file was incorrectly removed/not installed (the DVD seems to bring forth certain strangeness with certain DVD drives).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
BeeDog said:
As soon as you step into the cave there, the screen should fade to black and the next level should start loading. Really strange; did you try reinstalling the game? Maybe some file was incorrectly removed/not installed (the DVD seems to bring forth certain strangeness with certain DVD drives).

I haven't tried reloading the game. Hopefully that will work. So there's not a patch that can fix this?

Top Bottom