• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is there anyway to make DX9 run very high without tinkering with game files? My computer could easily do it but I don't have, nor do I want, Vista.

Also is there a way to fix some foliage pop in, it's no big deal just kind of annoying.

Specs:
Intel q6600 Quad core
2 8800 GTs SLI
Asus 750i chipset mobo
2 gigs of RAM

Spoit

NameGenerated said:
Is there anyway to make DX9 run very high without tinkering with game files? My computer could easily do it but I don't have, nor do I want, Vista.

Also is there a way to fix some foliage pop in, it's no big deal just kind of annoying.

Specs:
Intel q6600 Quad core
2 8800 GTs SLI
Asus 750i chipset mobo
2 gigs of RAM

Nope, both of those require editing the files. On the bright side, most of those can also be cone with simple cutting or pasting, or just changing an existing number. Look up the tweakguide for how to adjust the draw distance, I can't remember the comand off the top of my head

-viper-

Banned
crysisbeautgraphics517.jpg

crysis2008-01-2613-32-10-75535.jpg

crysis2008-01-2613-20-24-95514.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NameGenerated said:
Is there anyway to make DX9 run very high without tinkering with game files?

Yup. You just have to throw a system.cfg file into the Crysis directory. You don't have to change or overwrite anything. If you wanted to stop using the settings, you simply rename the file extension, move it out of the folder, or delete it outright.

http://www.crysis-online.com/?id=449

:D

NameGenerated

Wow thanks, I toggled with the console too and enable some great effects and increased my draw distance (no more foliage pop-in!) and now it looks so amazing! Question is, where does it store the screenshots I took?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NameGenerated said:
Wow thanks, I toggled with the console too and enable some great effects and increased my draw distance (no more foliage pop-in!) and now it looks so amazing! Question is, where does it store the screenshots I took?

In your user folder, of course. My Documents->My Games->Crysis->Screenshots.

Also, after testing thoroughly with 16q AA post-beta drivers, I'm only taking about a 4 fps loss on average. I'm still going to leave it off, as the drop takes me below 30fps and me don't likey, but it bodes well for future updates.

BeeDog

Is there some friggin' way to enable the manipulation of human ragdolls (eg. shooting/moving corpses)? It's annoying to have these bodies lying all around without really being interactive when so much else is.

BeeDog said:
Is there some friggin' way to enable the manipulation of human ragdolls (eg. shooting/moving corpses)? It's annoying to have these bodies lying all around without really being interactive when so much else is.
There used to be before the patch.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It's a design choice Crysis made. They even asked for a mod that introduced ragdoll manipulation to be pulled online, so I think they simply don't want it in the game. I've also heard that it had something to do with German law, but I don't know how accurate that is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
urk said:
In your user folder, of course. My Documents->My Games->Crysis->Screenshots.

Also, after testing thoroughly with 16q AA post-beta drivers, I'm only taking about a 4 fps loss on average. I'm still going to leave it off, as the drop takes me below 30fps and me don't likey, but it bodes well for future updates.
Which beta drivers are you referring to?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
There was an Nvidia leak that you can find floating about. I haven't had any stability issues. I think the aa might be a false alarm though. I'm going to run some more tests after lunch. I was enabling 16q and taking about a 4-5 fps hit and it looked pretty good, but I installed the Pydon Natural Mod this morning and the aa took me down to like 4 fps. I cleared out the custom config file and it still ran like shit, but later, I'm going to remove the mod altogether (it uses an installation executable to recreate some of the level files and I would guess cvar stuff) and see if it wasn't a fluke. I can imagine it probably was.

Pydon Natural Mod review: No go. Good frames bump, and the lighting is more realistic, but it makes some of the dark environments difficult to navigate and he switched off edge aa and it really kills the visuals for me. I like the standard Crytek build better.

Still have yet to find a good config that one ups the default with the DX10 simulation.

-SD-

Banned
urk said:
I've also heard that it had something to do with German law, but I don't know how accurate that is.
It indeed has everything to do with the German law. I really wish Crytek would move to Hungary or somewhere else where some stupid law isn't limiting the amount of awesome Crytek can put into their games.

LiveWire

OK so I'm in a pickle here. I'm running these specs:

E6850 Core 2 Duo
8800 GT
3GB RAM
Vista 32
Nvidia drivers 169.25

All settings at Very High on DX10. It doesn't seem to be too smooth and doesn't look as impressive to me as some people's screenshots. A few questions:

How can I screen capture inside the game?
Can I view fps in-game?
Is there a custom config file that anyone with my specs is using to get great quality/performance?

NameGenerated

LiveWire said:

E6850 Core 2 Duo
8800 GT
3GB RAM
Vista 32
Nvidia drivers 169.25

All settings at Very High on DX10. It doesn't seem to be too smooth and doesn't look as impressive to me as some people's screenshots. A few questions:

How can I screen capture inside the game? F12
Can I view fps in-game? Yes, type "r_DisplayInfo 1" into the console
Is there a custom config file that anyone with my specs is using to get great quality/performance? /shrug

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
LiveWire said:
Is there a custom config file that anyone with my specs is using to get great quality/performance?

Yeah, it's called Windows XP. ;)

But seriously.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
LiveWire said:

E6850 Core 2 Duo
8800 GT
3GB RAM
Vista 32
Nvidia drivers 169.25

How can I screen capture inside the game?
Can I view fps in-game?

The framerate will suffer if you have everything turned up. Make sure you have the latest patch downloaded. Press F12 to take an in-game screenshot.

Here are my settings:
Shaders : Very High
Textures: High
Water: High
Shadows: Medium
Volumetric Effects: Medium
Everything else is turned on low or turned off and I still have framerate problems when a lot of enemies are on the screen.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
16q aa is definitely bust. I must have had some kind of setting messed up in the Nvidia control panel. I was messing around and overclocking on air and just playing in general and I must have tweaked something. It was applying AA for sure, but probably not that kind of quality. Even with my CPU/GPU/RAM clocked up, it still drops a shitload of frames when I enable it.

Oh wells.

No probs with the drivers though. :)

LiveWire

Thanks for the tips guys. It looks like if I run it at my monitor's native res (22" widescreen, 1680x1050) on all Very High, no AA, I get between 10-19 fps (probably much less during heavy firefights). If I knock it down to something like 1280x800 hovers around 20-25fps, which is probably just at the limit of playability. On High settings, even at max res it seems to dip no lower than 25, and usually a steady 30-40fps. At first I was struggling to notice a difference, but then I noticed the shafts of moonlight being cast by the palm trees on Very High. :O Holy fuck this game is a beast.

Finguo

Can someone please tell me the command to set the render distance for shadows? I have already read the Crysis guide at tweakguides.com and managed to turn off the foliaga pop-in but I just can´t get rid of the annoying shadow pop-in. A recommended value for the command would also be very much appreciated.

NameGenerated

Finguo said:
Can someone please tell me the command to set the render distance for shadows? I have already read the Crysis guide at tweakguides.com and managed to turn off the foliaga pop-in but I just can´t get rid of the annoying shadow pop-in. A recommended value for the command would also be very much appreciated.
I'd like to know that too.
Edit: I think I found it, e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio [value]

Have yet to test it though.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio=0.8

This is an educated guess based on looking at the config file.

dLMN8R

urk said:

8800gt 512
I saw your later reply saying that the 16xAA figure you thought you got was a bust, but on your system, you're saying you noticed a significant performance increase with these drivers over the latest beta 169.28 NVIDIA beta drivers?

And also, sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are your system specs?

A few posts up I made the upgrade to Vista (32bit) with the following specs

Core 2 E6600 (stock)
2gig RAM G.Skill
Evga 8800 GT (675MHz OC)

Well I must say that I have gone back to XP. The performance wasn't quite what I had in mind. I had thought that perhaps after a year there had been enough updates to the OS to make performance at least on par with XP. Sadly this isn't the case. I had about 10-15 average FPS lower on Vista, and the game for whatever reason just didn't seem as smooth.

I was playing on DX 9 with high or ultra high (CVarGroups fix) settings with 1650x1080. I have taken some screen shots in XP tonight showing both graphical and FPS differences for High and Very high.

The first two pics are on High, the last two are VERY/ULTRA high DX 9 on Windows XP.

k1tld3.jpg

547rzr.jpg

nb7mtj.jpg

29z1tdv.jpg

Solideliquid said:
A few posts up I made the upgrade to Vista (32bit) with the following specs

Core 2 E6600 (stock)
2gig RAM G.Skill
Evga 8800 GT (675MHz OC)

Well I must say that I have gone back to XP. The performance wasn't quite what I had in mind. I had thought that perhaps after a year there had been enough updates to the OS to make performance at least on par with XP. Sadly this isn't the case. I had about 10-15 average FPS lower on Vista, and the game for whatever reason just didn't seem as smooth.

I was playing on DX 9 with high or ultra high (CVarGroups fix) settings with 1650x1080. I have taken some screen shots in XP tonight showing both graphical and FPS differences for High and Very high.

The first two pics are on High, the last two are VERY/ULTRA high DX 9 on Windows XP.

[IMG.]http://i28.tinypic.com/k1tld3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://i28.tinypic.com/547rzr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://i29.tinypic.com/nb7mtj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://i26.tinypic.com/29z1tdv.jpg[/IMG]

Can you take out the config text, and do more of these?

WrikaWrek

Banned
I finished the game today.

Liked it alot. The last part in the ship is really awesome, and the action before it with the prophet is really frenetic.

The cliffhanger sucks though. And i would've liked for the cutcenes to be in 3rd person because it's a waste of a model, the nano suit is amazing, and it should appear in every cutcene possible.

mandiller

screenshot0005794.jpg

screenshot0008631.jpg

screenshot0015318.jpg

screenshot0029381.jpg

This game is gorgeous! I replay it not necessarily because of the gameplay but because of how pretty it is. It really is a work of art, props to all the programmers and art designers.

Running on:
2.6Ghz c2d
2GB DDR2
8800GT

LiveWire

I'm considering getting another 8800GT to run SLI. Will I need a new power supply/more cooling? I have an XPS 420 system with a 375W PSU and the 8800 GT I have appears to be in the lower of two adjacent PCI-Ex16 slots. The card is being cooled by the giant intake fans which comes across the center of the PC to cool the CPU.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dLMN8R said:
I saw your later reply saying that the 16xAA figure you thought you got was a bust, but on your system, you're saying you noticed a significant performance increase with these drivers over the latest beta 169.28 NVIDIA beta drivers?

And also, sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are your system specs?

It's hard to say if the drivers had much if any effect at all. I was also overclocking that morning and got involved in an epic struggle with my hardware. I will say that the new drivers seem to be stable.

I'm running an Intel Core Duo 2.6Ghz that I overclock to 3.2Ghz stable on air only. 2GHz OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 set to 4-4-4-12. EVGA 8800GT software overclocked to 650Mhz core, 1900Mhz memory, also on air only.

My Gigabyte makes it really easy to setup an overclocked profile for my proc and memory and I can bounce between standard and overclocked in about forty seconds total. It also has a nice feature that will kick the specs back down to standard levels if the system fails to load do to a hardware failing, but I only saw that upon initial configuration when I set my SPD a little too high. ;)

I use AtiTool for the GPU profile and that's as easy as loading a profile up. I was using Rivatuner, but I like AtiTool better. It's just much easier to use and since it's all software based, I don't have to worry about canning my warranty by screwing with the GPU BIOS.

Honestly, I fuck with it more out of a love for tinkering then anything else. The difference on Crysis at 1280x720 is about 3-10 frames, but my temps go up and I have to kick all three system fans up to high to compensate. All stock speeds, I can run everything else at full settings with gobs of AA and AF and it doesn't drop a frame, so there's really no practical need for the increased speeds.

It's funny to see something old like Vice City with 16q AA and insane quality AF. Not an ant crawling or blurred texture anywhere in sight, locked at 60fps, no problem. And I know Vice City ain't nothing to brag about graphically, but my inner geek chuckles at the enhanced IQ for some reason.

LiveWire said:
I'm considering getting another 8800GT to run SLI. Will I need a new power supply/more cooling?

PSU for sure. Cooling is probably a good idea too. It's going to get cramped if you throw another 8800 in there. You could always try it out and monitor the temp to see what kind of heat the GPUs pump out.

dark10x

It's funny to see something old like Vice City with 16q AA and insane quality AF. Not an ant crawling or blurred texture anywhere in sight, locked at 60fps, no problem. And I know Vice City ain't nothing to brag about graphically, but my inner geek chuckles at the enhanced IQ for some reason.
A lot of older games can run well with fantastic AA. Heck, Half-Life 2 runs at a rock solid 60 fps with 8xQ AA (with edge AA, of course) and 16x AF enabled (resulting in a bullshot like image quality on my CRT).

The original Far Cry, which was so demanding, can be run with gobs of AA and AF at 60 fps as well (the game is even worse than I remembered, though).

Old games really benefit from the new AA modes introduced with the latest generation of video cards.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
A lot of older games can run well with fantastic AA. Heck, Half-Life 2 runs at a rock solid 60 fps with 8xQ AA (with edge AA, of course) and 16x AF enabled (resulting in a bullshot like image quality on my CRT).

Yeah, I ran the video stress test in Lost Coast with everything maxed and help 60 frames all the way through. Funny thing is that Steam throws up a warning when I launch it notifying me that my processor isn't up to snuff. ;)

WrikaWrek

Banned
LiveWire said:
I'm considering getting another 8800GT to run SLI. Will I need a new power supply/more cooling? I have an XPS 420 system with a 375W PSU and the 8800 GT I have appears to be in the lower of two adjacent PCI-Ex16 slots. The card is being cooled by the giant intake fans which comes across the center of the PC to cool the CPU.

1st, does your motherboard support Sli?

2nd, if it does, you really need a new PSU man. Get something like a Be quiet, from 600w to 700w, the Straight power line offers a really nice price/performance ratio.

Go for quality.

LiveWire

WrikaWrek said:
1st, does your motherboard support Sli?

2nd, if it does, you really need a new PSU man. Get something like a Be quiet, from 600w to 700w, the Straight power line offers a really nice price/performance ratio.

Go for quality.

Ah, that's true, I just assumed that it was because both PCI-E slots were there. Is there a way to check this (and/or the motherboard make/model) in the BIOS?

As for PSU, yea, I heard complaints from people about the PSUs in the XPS 420 being an issue. I have no experience installing a PSU; there was an issue with the cabling (slightly stripped power cables from the PSU to the mobo) and when I called Dell, they ordered me a new PSU and are sending a free technician to install it. So I will watch him do it to learn how, and probably go out and buy something along the lines of what you suggested. It's called "Be Quiet"? Is it Thermaltake?

WrikaWrek

Banned
LiveWire said:
Ah, that's true, I just assumed that it was because both PCI-E slots were there. Is there a way to check this (and/or the motherboard make/model) in the BIOS?

As for PSU, yea, I heard complaints from people about the PSUs in the XPS 420 being an issue. I have no experience installing a PSU; there was an issue with the cabling (slightly stripped power cables from the PSU to the mobo) and when I called Dell, they ordered me a new PSU and are sending a free technician to install it. So I will watch him do it to learn how, and probably go out and buy something along the lines of what you suggested. It's called "Be Quiet"? Is it Thermaltake?

Be Quiet is the brand itself, Straight power is the line of products.

http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/

Love them. I don't know if they have them in the U.S though.

Your motherboard doesn't support SLI btw, it's a intel X38 chipset.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
They make PSU's specifically for SLI configurations. You're going to need two 6-pin connectors to support two cards and obviously the proper amount of power.

I don't think the XPS 420 has SLI support anyway, but you can check with Dell for confirmation.

-viper- said:
This game is so bloody hard. ARGH.

On this note: it turned out yesterday my laptop was able to play the demo with everything on low. (yes, it is not very pretty, but not really ugly either)

So I did the whole "cloak" thing (normal difficulty), sneaked up on a Korean soldier, put my silenced gun to the back of his head and pulled the trigger.

What happens next, really surprised me. The guy starts running forward while screaming 'ENEMY!' and so the others see me, shoot me, I die.

Now, who the hell creates a game that takes place in 2020, give you a suit with all kinds of neat powers and then takes it all away by making your enemies f***ing superhuman?

Please tell me a single headshot drops a foe in the full version and you can play the game how you should be able to play it.

-SD-

Banned
-viper- said:
This game is so bloody hard. ARGH.
It depends on your tactics... I play on Delta difficulty and found the game to be quite easy.

Cloak + FY71 (single shot/silenced) + head shot = easy going.

LiveWire

Wrika, urk, thanks guys. :) Guess I'll just have to wait until the hardware cycle catches up and Crysis can be played with one gfx card. :lol

I guess I can't complain though, this 8800GT smokes any other game except Crysis. Doom 3, HL2, full effects? 60fps without a stutter. Amazing. Really satisfying considering how PC gaming has been over the past decade. This single card may revitalize it. I can't recall another period in PC gaming where it was clearly obvious what the best card was, and have it be such a good value. Maaaybe Voodoo2?

dark10x

Please tell me a single headshot drops a foe in the full version and you can play the game how you should be able to play it.
A single headshot absolutely drops all human foes (with a couple logical exceptions). I'm not sure what you did, but that should not have occured.

-SD-

Banned
LiveWire said:
Guess I'll just have to wait until the hardware cycle catches up and Crysis can be played with one gfx card. :lol
Whatta... I can play Crysis just fine @ 1280x960/0xAA/4xAF (no motion blur/edge AA) with DX9 "Very High" CVar tweaks. No frame rate issues during the single player campaign.

My comp: E6600 @ 3.2GHz + 2GB Corsair @ 890MHz + GF8800GTX

Top Bottom