• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

LiveWire

-SD- said:
Whatta... I can play Crysis just fine @ 1280x960/0xAA/4xAF (no motion blur/edge AA) with DX9 "Very High" CVar tweaks. No frame rate issues during the single player campaign.

My comp: E6600 @ 3.2GHz + 2GB Corsair @ 890MHz + GF8800GTX

Yea, and you're using a GTX, how much RAM is on that thing? And when I say, run well, I mean, 60fps with all effects.

LiveWire

-SD- said:
Which is a single-GPU card.

Right, but it can't do 60FPS and full AA at a resolution of like 1900x1200 on its own. Two of them, maybe. Anyway, it's much ado about nothing I guess, as Crysis is the only PC game that is pushing the limits right now. Nevermind.

LiveWire

FYI, here's a helpful chart of resolutions and aspect ratios I found. I was trying to figure out which resolution(s) to bump down to to maintain a ratio similar to my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050):

http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/

4:3 Standard Displays
This table shows the resolution code, screen width, screen height (both in pixels), aspect ratio and explanation of the code abbreviation for common standard industry sizes with the more box like 4:3 aspect ratio.

Code Width Height Ratio Description
QVGA 320 240 4:3 Quarter Video Graphics Array
HVGA 640 240 8:3 Half Video Graphics Array
VGA 640 480 4:3 Video Graphics Array
SVGA 800 600 4:3 Super Video Graphics Array
XGA 1024 768 4:3 Extended Graphics Array
XGA+ 1152 768 3:2 Extended Graphics Array plus
1152 864 4:3
SXGA 1280 1024 4:3 Super Extended Graphics Array
SXGA+ 1400 1050 4:3 Super Extended Graphics Array plus
UXGA 1600 1200 4:3 Ultra Extended Graphics Array
QXGA 2048 1536 4:3 Quad Extended Graphics Array

The smaller QVGA and HVGA screen resolutions are mainly used in mobile devices as Pocket PCs or the Psion handheld.

16:9 and 16:10 Wide-screen Displays
The following table shows the resolution code, screen width, screen height (both in pixels), aspect ratio and explanation of the code abbreviation for common wide screen sizes with a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio.

Code Width Height Ratio Description
WXGA 1280 768 5:3 Wide Extended Graphics Array
1280 800 16:10
1366 768 ~16:9
WXGA+ 1280 854 ~3:2 Wide Extended Graphics Array plus
1440 900 16:10
1440 960 3:2
WSXGA 1600 900 16:9 Wide Super Extended Graphics Array
1600 1024 16:10
WSXGA+ 1680 1050 16:10 Wide Super Extended Graphics Array plus
WUXGA 1920 1200 16:10 Wide Ultra Extended Graphics Array
WQXGA 2560 1600 16:10 Wide Quad Extended Graphics Array
WQUXGA 3840 2400 16:10 Wide Quad Ultra Extended Graphics Array

So for now, I think I'll try running the game at 1280x800 on Very High and leave it at that until the next mega-card comes out. :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Question: Why doesn't Crysis acknowledge that I am using SLI? I looked today and it says I'm just using 1 8800 GT. I download the latest beta drivers and have r_multiGPU 1 on sooooo...yeah. My GPU memory budget is 1024mb. My nVidia control panel also says I have SLI enabled. What gives?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I think I kind of figured it out, I set my GPUs to alternate frames instead of one handling it all. Anyways, here are some pics.

Bootyful
ScreenShot0018.jpg

This man is no more.
ScreenShot0019.jpg

Ah, summer days...
ScreenShot0020.jpg

Yeah I double posted, wanna fight about it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think I kind of figured it out, I set my GPUs to alternate frames instead of one handling it all. Anyways, here are some pics
I have one suggestion for you...

Go to the console, enter con_restricted 0 then...

"r_useedgeaa 2"

Gattsu25

Banned
Got paid and picked the game up today

From what I've played: Holy fucking shit does this game look good. The framerate is much better than I expected either.

I patched the game and decided to just run it at default settings...without really checking the video options outside of changing the resolution, I jumped in and, surprisingly, thought that the game was running at High settings because (even at medium) this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen in my life. Borrowed dark's config settings and HOLLY SHIT the game looks absolutely fucking AMAZING. The motion blur is unreal.

What I love the most about the game is the suit. Even from the very start of the game, the many uses of the suit are a God send. Jumping over a confused enemy and shooting them down their spine :D sneaking up behind an enemy picking him up and tossing him into the ocean :D sneaking near a patrol then bullrushing the FUCK out of them and then killing them all one-by-one with the shotgun :D so many possibilities and I haven't even begun to experiment with Strength :D

Also, is it just me, or is the shotgun damn near perfect in this game? The clip size is more than adequate and the sound is SPECTACULAR...and the way the enemies fly when you shoot them with it? :D :D

I don't know what to say...but I feel like I'll be playing this game all day tomorrow. Also, the story, so far, seems cliche but delivered well.

traveler

Not Wario
Hey guys; finally got my new computer in and installed Crysis. Just tried playing it on everything High without tweaking very much at all and found the performance very satisfying. I'm sure, however, I could get it running even better, so what would you guys recommend? My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz
8800GTX
4GB RAM
32-bit Vista (which hasn't actually posed any problems yet)

I'm getting the first patch right now and I'd like to try out HP's config as soon as it has downloaded. Is there a link to the latest version of his config? Also, how do I, err, get it working? I'm totally new to the PC game and I have no idea how to input new configs, change cvars or whatever they're called, or put in console commands. Also, are there any features I can turn off in Vista to increase performance? Thanks in advance for any help you may able to provide.

traveler

Not Wario
Just tried HP's setttings. Game looked better, but my frame rate seemed quite a bit lower. In addition to the above questions, how do I check my system's current performance while ingame?

Doc Evils

traveler said:
Just tried HP's setttings. Game looked better, but my frame rate seemed quite a bit lower. In addition to the above questions, how do I check my system's current performance while ingame?

It's the extra shadows.

-SD-

Banned
traveler said:
how do I check my system's current performance while ingame?
While in game press the key right below ESC to activate the console, then type:

r_displayinfo 1 (0 turns it off)

- - -

With that PC setup I'd suggest you try the default DX10 Very High settings. I tested the HP tweak but it just made things darker and boosted bloom. Didn't like it very much so I went back to the good old DX9 "Very High" CVar tweak. I'm running the game on WinXP.

traveler said:
are there any features I can turn off in Vista to increase performance?
Don't know about Vista since I don't have it but you could try disabling Motion Blur. With Crysis v1.1 you can disable it from the graphics setttings without touching the Post Processing slider.

traveler

Not Wario
-SD- said:
While in game press the key right below ESC to activate the console, then type:

r_displayinfo 1 (0 turns it off)

- - -

With that PC setup I'd suggest you try the default DX10 Very High settings. I tested the HP tweak but it just made things darker and boosted bloom. Didn't like it very much so I went back to the good old DX9 "Very High" CVar tweak. I'm running the game on WinXP.

Don't know about Vista since I don't have it but you could try disabling Motion Blur. With Crysis v1.1 you can disable it from the graphics setttings without touching the Post Processing slider.

I thought about trying that, but I'm running on Vista and I think it'd be a bit too low (framerate wise) for me. I'll give it a shot.

-SD-

Banned
traveler said:
I thought about trying that, but I'm running on Vista and I think it'd be a bit too low (framerate wise) for me. I'll give it a shot.
Just try lowering the resolution? I'm using CRT so I don't have any quality issues with scaling...

Also: disable AA/AF and such... basic stuff, you know the drill.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That was one hell of a strange map. Extremely beautiful at times, however.

It demonstrates to me just how incredible CryEngine 2 is. He pretty much used assets that were created for the game, yet it felt fresh. It seems that anyone can create a beautiful map with a little work and scripting doesn't seem that bad either. I think we will see some truly incredible Crysis mod work down the line. There was never anything of this quality released for other recent engines in such a short period of time.

-SD-

Banned
dark10x said:
It demonstrates to me just how incredible CryEngine 2 is. He pretty much used assets that were created for the game, yet it felt fresh. [...] There was never anything of this quality released for other recent engines in such a short period of time.
Agreed.

Can't wait for his next map, which he says will be massive :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Gattsu25 said:
Got paid and picked the game up today

From what I've played: Holy fucking shit does this game look good. The framerate is much better than I expected either.

I patched the game and decided to just run it at default settings...without really checking the video options outside of changing the resolution, I jumped in and, surprisingly, thought that the game was running at High settings because (even at medium) this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen in my life. Borrowed dark's config settings and HOLLY SHIT the game looks absolutely fucking AMAZING. The motion blur is unreal.

What I love the most about the game is the suit. Even from the very start of the game, the many uses of the suit are a God send. Jumping over a confused enemy and shooting them down their spine :D sneaking up behind an enemy picking him up and tossing him into the ocean :D sneaking near a patrol then bullrushing the FUCK out of them and then killing them all one-by-one with the shotgun :D so many possibilities and I haven't even begun to experiment with Strength :D

Also, is it just me, or is the shotgun damn near perfect in this game? The clip size is more than adequate and the sound is SPECTACULAR...and the way the enemies fly when you shoot them with it? :D :D

I don't know what to say...but I feel like I'll be playing this game all day tomorrow. Also, the story, so far, seems cliche but delivered well.

You can only play on medium settings unless you have a $4,000 majestic computer, so I'm going to go ahead and assume the framerate being better then you expected means you squeaked out an average of just over 10fps.

I'll also note that you had to spend hours patching and tweaking the "config" files so you could enjoy this 60fps placeholder technology, motion blur, and even then you mistook the lower settings for Ultra Super High. I call your senses into question. At 10fps and medium with the screen all smeared up from motion blur, then game looks worse then Far Cry.

The suit? It brings nothing. The gameplay you experienced must have been brought on by some sort of fatigue due to the grappling you endured with your ultra fine-tuned custom game files. I have no other explanation. Perhaps you're just doing it wrong. It really adds nothing at all.

And the shotgun is terrible. The ability to switch out the ammunition, allowing two types of buck spread for either increased accuracy or a wider pattern? Yeah, dumb idea Crytek. Your options serve only to confuse me. And players don't like being confused.

After reading through your post, I have to assume that even your opening words are false. You don't even have a job, do you?

urk said:
You can only play on medium settings unless you have a $4,000 majestic computer, so I'm going to go ahead and assume the framerate being better then you expected means you squeaked out an average of just over 10fps.

E6600
8800GT
2 GIG RAM
VISTA 32

$900

Plays on high average fps 25-30 (which is very smooth for crysis w/ motion blur) 1680x1050.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
urk said:

I'll also note that you had to spend hours patching and tweaking the "config" files so you could enjoy this 60fps placeholder technology, motion blur, and even then you mistook the lower settings for Ultra Super High. I call your senses into question. At 10fps and medium with the screen all smeared up from motion blur, then game looks worse then Far Cry.

The suit? It brings nothing. The gameplay you experienced must have been brought on by some sort of fatigue due to the grappling you endured with your ultra fine-tuned custom game files. I have no other explanation. Perhaps you're just doing it wrong. It really adds nothing at all.

And the shotgun is terrible. The ability to switch out the ammunition, allowing two types of buck spread for either increased accuracy or a wider pattern? Yeah, dumb idea Crytek. Your options serve only to confuse me. And players don't like being confused.

After reading through your post, I have to assume that even your opening words are false. You don't even have a job, do you?
Why did you post this? You just sound like an asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about.

edit: /toohungovertoreadajoke

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Solideliquid said:
E6600
8800GT
2 GIG RAM
VISTA 32
COUCH
5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
RESIDENCE
REAL ESTATE TAXES
FOOD TO SUSTAIN LIFE WHILE PLAYING

$367,876.00

Plays on high average fps 25-30 (which is very smooth for crysis w/ motion blur) 1680x1050.

You neglected to tally a few things, so I took the liberty of revising the calculation for you.

Also, I found Strange Island to be, well, strange. Cool work on the instancing and level design, but it' pretty buggy and I hate the addition of invisible walls. It just feels like an affront to Crysis. I see pretty jungle but I cannot touch you? No, I say!

urk said:

urk said:
You neglected to tally a few things, so I took the liberty of revising the calculation for you.

Also, I found Strange Island to be, well, strange. Cool work on the instancing and level design, but it' pretty buggy and I hate the addition of invisible walls. It just feels like an affront to Crysis. I see pretty jungle but I cannot touch you? No, I say!

Is this sarcasm or are you that lost?

wtf dude.

urk said:

There's some unchecked aggression for you.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Also, what is this doohickey Crytek forces me to play with? A giant slab of plastic with dozens of keys? No thanks.

Variable

urk said:
Also, what is this doohickey Crytek forces me to play with? A giant slab of plastic with dozens of keys? No thanks.

It could be worse, you could be forced to play it with a game pad.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Variable said:
It could be worse, you could be forced to play it with a game pad.

I'm working on a custom config that allows play with a DDR pad. Update to come.

Draft

urk said:
Not as clumsy or random as a gamepad; an elegant input device for a more civilized age.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
vinnay said:
would i be able to run this on medium settings at 1280x1024?

x2 3800 2ghz
1gb ram
x1950 pro
win xp

You should bump your RAM up. Not sure about your CPU. You might be able to eke medium out. Only thing I can say is grab the demo and see for yourself.

wowfactor

Banned
NameGenerated said:
I think I kind of figured it out, I set my GPUs to alternate frames instead of one handling it all. Anyways, here are some pics.

Bootyful
ScreenShot0018.jpg

Yeah I double posted, wanna fight about it?

Not taking a swipe at Crysis but how can this be compared to Uncharted? Uncharted kicks its ass.

Gattsu25 said:

It's a brilliant game, yeah? I didn't mind the story at all; it's about where I expect game storylines to be.

wowfactor said:
Not taking a swipe at Crysis but how can this be compared to Uncharted? Uncharted kicks its ass.

Because the game, as a whole, on a good rig, looks much much better than uncharted. Have you not seen the other shots posted in this thread or are you just picking the worst and choosing that to represent the whole game (rhetorical question, you don't need to answer that).

wowfactor said:

If I felt that it was worth the hassle, I'd post a short clip going from dense jungle to a stream leading up to a waterfall. But it is as a matter of fact not worth the hassle because, well, Crysis doesn't need to be defended with that type of dedication. Crysis sits on its own shelf far above the relatively anonymous little tin cans.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
wowfactor said:

And you can't half-tuck a nanosuit either.

There are two types of people in this world: people who believe that games exist that look better than Crysis and people who have played Crysis.

urk said:
And you can't half-tuck a nanosuit either.

There are two types of people in this world: people who believe that games exist that look better than Crysis and people who have played Crysis.

Reminds me of this dude I sort of know who swears by Folgers coffee. Granted he's never really had anything else, so to him Folgers is, in fact, as good as it gets.

antiloop

wowfactor said:

Totally depends on your computer specifications though. Although I think Uncharted has a more pleasing looking jungle with a lot more geometry.

bhbYcbhfA.jpg

This is how Crysis looks on my low-end 8800GTS with 320MB ram and E2180@3GHz. With a highly customized config also..

I feel that bumping up the resolution does a lot in Crysis (compared to other games)because of all the detail it has.

antiloop said:
Totally depends on your computer specifications though. Although I think Uncharted has a more pleasing looking jungle with a lot more geometry.

Uncharted is also very closed in. More than I had expected, even. It's very stylish and it does look good (if very sparsely detailed), but you'd have to be some kind of dunderhead to argue that it's even on the same level as Crysis. Nothing is on the same level as Crysis.

Top Bottom