• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Draft

wowfactor said:
You guys are crazy. Look at the pic, it has a crazy amount of AA. It is obviously doctored. Show me a pic with HUD that is as that good.
PC Gaming :bow

King of Anti Aliasing :bow

wowfactor

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Uncharted is also very closed in. More than I had expected, even. It's very stylish and it does look good (if very sparsely detailed), but you'd have to be some kind of dunderhead to argue that it's even on the same level as Crysis. Nothing is on the same level as Crysis.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Reminds me of this dude I sort of know who swears by Folgers coffee. Granted he's never really had anything else, so to him Folgers is, in fact, as good as it gets.

You guys are very crazy.

my quote:
Not taking a swipe at Crysis but how can this be compared to Uncharted? Uncharted kicks its ass.

"this" means the screenshot below:
ScreenShot0018.jpg

and not the crysis game as a whole.
The screenshot is from from a system that the game was run on. That system is no equivalent to the system that runs Uncharted.

Take your fanboysm away and read the comment in context.

wowfactor said:
You guys are very crazy.

my quote:

"this" means the screenshot below:
ScreenShot0018.jpg

The screenshot is from from a system that is running the game. That system is no equivalent to the system that runs Uncharted.

Take your fanboysm away and read the comment in context.
:lol
Yes compare one screenshot to an entire game, i'm sure that's exactly what you intended.
Not to mention I don't think anyone before you actually tried to compare that one screen to uncharted.

antiloop

AltogetherAndrews said:
Uncharted is also very closed in. More than I had expected, even.

Yes, but I am just talking about overall look in the jungle. But no doubt Crysis is the most realistic looking game to date.

But best is highly subjective. It's like arguing if a cartoon looks better than a documentary.

wowfactor said:
The screenshot is from from a system that the game was run on. That system is no equivalent to the system that runs Uncharted.

And for your next trick, will you explain the point of posting one screen and comparing that one screen to another game?

antiloop said:
Yes, but I am just talking about overall look in the jungle. But no doubt Crysis is the most realistic looking game to date.

But best is highly subjective. It's like arguing if a cartoon looks better than a documentary.

Right, but jungle in the Crysis sense is simply non-existent in Uncharted. There are some plants and foliage, but the jungle is mostly a backdrop. It actually reminded me of Fable in that way.

antiloop

AltogetherAndrews said:
Right, but jungle in the Crysis sense is simply non-existent in Uncharted. There are some plants and foliage, but the jungle is mostly a backdrop. It actually reminded me of Fable in that way.

True. They should try to add oblivion/crysis -like grass generation in the sequels.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Comparisons between Uncharted and Crysis are laughable.

The jungle in Uncharted is a corridor with some trees on the side. It's weak.

Hell if you want something to compare Uncharted's jungle to, go check some videos of that LOST game, that's what you should be comparing it to.

wowfactor

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
And for your next trick, will you explain the point of posting one screen and comparing that one screen to another game?.

And to open your mind, you should know this: people who play Crysis usually have a very good rig. No one wants to run Crysis on a low end system, the perception is already set in pc gamers' mind. And if you deny that you should be perished in you-know-what.
Look my friends, the point is this: some systems (good systems) that run Crysis are not as good as the system that runs Uncharted.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
wowfactor said:
Look my friends, the point is this: some systems (good systems) that run Crysis are not as good as the system that runs Uncharted.

So you came into the official Crysis thread to inform everyone that the PS3 is better than a low end PC? What the fuck, dude? I mean, come on.

wowfactor said:
And to open your mind, you should know this: people who play Crysis usually have a very good rig. No one wants to run Crysis on a low end system, the perception is already set in pc gamers' mind. And if you deny that you should be perished in you-know-what.

I dont think anyone has ever claimed, nor would anyone expect that Crysis on low looks better than Uncharted, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove.

antiloop

dejan said:
Actually it's not. At least for those of us who are blessed with eyesight.

Which looks best, a painting or a photograph? Every texture in Uncharted is hand-painted and every texture in Crysis is a photograph. I am not taking a stand here, just curious to what you think.

Can a painting be more beautiful than a photograph to you?

eh, Im being an idiot inciting more idiocy

Anyway, Im prob going to get this, but I doubt I will be able to run it on anything more than on medium

WrikaWrek

Banned
wowfactor said:

9vftzb.gif

wowfactor

Banned
urk said:
So you came into the official Crysis thread to inform everyone that the PS3 is better than a low end PC? What the fuck, dude? I mean, come on.

No, it is just because I saw that screenshot. It reminded me about Uncharted. So I just shared my thought. I didn't know that fanboysm in this thread is so embedded into the blood already.

wowfactor said:

So basically, it was just hot gas all along. Has there been any indication that anyone gives a shit about what you're going on about? It takes a decent PC to run Crysis, right. And...?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
nelsonroyale said:
usually rubbish going on here...pc fanboys are as bad as any other

Bullshit. We're in here posting about the game and he comes in to let everyone know that the PS3 can produce better graphics then a screenshot of Crysis. There's literally no call for something like that. I play consoles and PC. Both have their own benefits. But I ain't going into the official Uncharted thread to tell everyone that Crysis looks better. Because that would be fucking lame.

wowfactor said:
No, it is just because I saw that screenshot. It reminded me about Uncharted. So I just shared my thought. I didn't know that fanboysm in this thread are so embedded into the blood already.

How could that shot remind you of Uncharted? Was it the gun? The road? The first person perspective? Take a hike into the nearest tarpit, Bingo.

wowfactor said:
No, it is just because I saw that screenshot. It reminded me about Uncharted. So I just shared my thought. I didn't know that fanboysm in this thread are so embedded into the blood already.

Stop for a moment and consider where you are. You come in, completely unprovoked, and make some claim that would very easily be read as using a terrible picture of crysis to say that it looks worse than uncharted. You then claim you were only talking about that picture, which is fine, I guess, but there is nothing really in your post to indicate as such and seems sortof silly to compare a single bad screenshot to an entire game. Everyone then points out how ridiculous what you posted was, and you call THEM the fanboys.

Can you atleast see how you could've done this a little better?

urk said:
Bullshit. We're in here posting about the game and he comes in to let everyone know that the PS3 can produce better graphics then a screenshot of Crysis. There's literally no call for something like that. I play consoles and PC. Both have their own benefits. But I ain't going into the official Uncharted thread to tell everyone that Crysis looks better. Because that would be fucking lame.

heh, but it is a fair point comparing what crysis runs on to the equivalent of uncharted...crysis certianly looks better on high specs...but then ND could make a game exponentially better looking than uncharted does on the ps3 on the same specs...pc a bit different since its scaleable

wowfactor

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
How could that shot remind you of Uncharted? Was it the gun? The road? The first person perspective? Take a hike into the nearest tarpit, Bingo.

The keywords are: jungle and the vista

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
nelsonroyale said:
heh, but it is a fair point comparing what crysis runs on to the equivalent of uncharted...crysis certianly looks better on high specs...but then ND could make a game exponentially better looking than uncharted does on the ps3 on the same specs...pc a bit different since its scaleable

So now we should discuss the theoretical potential of Naughty Dog's development prowess in the official Crysis thread?

No thanks.

WrikaWrek

Banned
antiloop said:
Which looks best, a painting or a photograph? Every texture in Uncharted is hand-painted and every texture in Crysis is a photograph. I am not taking a stand here, just curious to what you think.

1st, son you're just damaging controlling something that is stupid. Again, some ps3 fans want to turn a blind eye on it, but it's a stupid comparison. Again go compare Uncharted to the LOST game. I know Ps3 fans don't want to do it because it hurts their feelings, but...it's the way things are.

So what are you trying to say with that hand texturing crap?

Are you saying that this:

941689_20071212_screen016.jpg

Looks better than this:

942026_20071214_screen029.jpg

Not taking a stand here, i'm just curious!

nelsonroyale said:

And that goes for the 360, the Wii, the Xbox, the Ps2, the gamecube, the DS, the PS1, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Haunted

:lol @ wowfactor. I'm not even sure what you're trying to do here.

urk said:
But I ain't going into the official Uncharted thread to tell everyone that Crysis looks better. Because that would be fucking lame.
And because Borys already did it.

dLMN8R

Here is what Crysis looks like on my system with an Opteron 165 (2 year old processor), 2GB of crappy PC3200 ram (2-3 year old ram), and a new 8800GT.

This is a system much worse than one you can build for under $900 today.

crysis4.jpg

Uncharted doesn't even come close. And Crysis isn't limited to specific sections you can run through. Every single inch of the island can be touched by your chacter. Every single one of those trees moves independently and can be cut down by bullets.

You simply cannot comment on Crysis until you see it in motion. As amazing as the screenshots look, it's 10x better when seeing it run in real time on a computer.

Oh, and the explosions in Uncharted are really assy. Just high-res sprites that animate crappily. The explosions in Crysis are phenomenal. One of the most beautiful graphical effects I've ever seen in a game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwKNrrW3Ak

Some more pretty screens just for fun:

crysis7.jpg

crysis8.jpg

crysis9.jpg

I own both games, and to say uncharted looks better means you haven't played or seen Crysis being played on a high end system. A linear, console optimized game running @ 720p compared to THE graphics showcase for PC's? lol...

wowfactor

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Here is what Crysis looks like on my system with an Opteron 165 (2 year old processor), 2GB of crappy PC3200 ram (2-3 year old ram), and a new 8800GT.

This is a system much worse than one you can build for under $900 today.

http://www.msu.edu/~cohenjor/crysis4.jpg

Uncharted doesn't even come close. And Crysis isn't limited to specific sections you can run through. Every single inch of the island can be touched by your chacter. Every single one of those trees moves independently and can be cut down by bullets.

You simply cannot comment on Crysis until you see it in motion. As amazing as the screenshots look, it's 10x better when seeing it run in real time on a computer.

Oh, and the explosions in Uncharted are really assy. Just high-res sprites that animate crappily. The explosions in Crysis are phenomenal. One of the most beautiful graphical effects I've ever seen in a game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwKNrrW3Ak

Some more pretty screens just for fun:

http://www.msu.edu/~cohenjor/crysis7.jpg

http://www.msu.edu/~cohenjor/crysis8.jpg

http://www.msu.edu/~cohenjor/crysis9.jpg

You know those screenshots are not this:

zdyu3vkktn51nd5sw0op.jpg

In a pc, you can set all the high settings just to take screenshots, even to allow it run at single digit frames per second.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Okay, the game looks good, but it's any fun? or it's just another FarCry? (not trolling here, I'm genuinely interested)

-SD-

Banned
wowfactor said:

http://shackpics.com/files/zdyu3vkktn51nd5sw0op.jpg

In a pc, you can set all the high settings just to take screenshots, even to allow it run at single digit frames per second.
FYI: The level looks just like that and runs just fine on my comp.

DKnight said:
Okay, the game looks good, but it's any fun?
Sure it is. The firefights against the Korean People's Army are the most FPS fun I've had in a long time. The best thing about it is that every fight and encounter is different and with the nanosuit and its capabilities it's your imagination which is limiting or maximizing the fun factor.

DKnight said:
Okay, the game looks good, but it's any fun? or it's just another FarCry? (not trolling here, I'm genuinely interested)
YES! The game is absolutely spectacular and really really pushes the boundaries on what we should expect from an FPS. This thread is chock full of people loving the game who HATED far cry, so that should tell you quite a bit.

The game really is a spectacular acheivement on almost all levels.

WrikaWrek

Banned
DKnight said:

It's not amazing, but it is really fun.

The abilities of the Nanosuit are very limited and sometimes prove themselfs a bit useless in the middle of a fire fight, besides the speed one, but it's pretty cool overall.

I just beat it a couple days ago for the first time. I got to the core, but when I got my 8800gt, I wanted to start a new game. It really is a fun game, not just a pretty graphics showpiece. The last half is more linear, but also has more going on. And the carrier part was pretty damn awesome. People bash the story, which is simple and cliche', but at least it moves along at a good pace and isn't so bad as to be unwatchable. It has substantial replayability to, going back and re-doing certain sections and getting different reactions out of the AI is tons of fun.

wowfactor said:
You know those screenshots are not this

Uncharted is a great looking console game, but in no way is it even remotely comparable to Crysis.

Here's a visual aid.

Crysis:
p_big2_682.jpg

Uncharted:
junglebackground.jpg

That's in terms of visuals, scope and gameplay.

WrikaWrek said:

The abilities of the Nanosuit are very limited and sometimes prove themselfs a bit useless in the middle of a fire fight,
besides the speed one, but it's pretty cool overall.
Completely wrong, on both counts.

DKnight said:

It's brilliant. At it's core, it's a very good shooter. Add to that the weapons customization and the nanosuit powers, and you have a brilliant shooter.

WrikaWrek said:

The abilities of the Nanosuit are very limited and sometimes prove themselfs a bit useless in the middle of a fire fight, besides the speed one, but it's pretty cool overall.

It's pretty amazing how you're damned near always wrong. How do you do it?

Spoit

MickeyKnox said:

Uncharted is a great looking console game, but in no way is it even remotely comparable to Crysis.

Here's a visual aid.
I knew we have had this "picture vs photo" arguement before. Really, the rampant Uncharted fanboyism on gaf is taking a turn for the absurd

Spoit said:
I knew we have had this "picture vs photo" arguement before. Really, the rampant Uncharted fanboyism on gaf is taking a turn for the absurd
Was he the one who brought it up in that other thread?

antiloop

WrikaWrek said:
1st, son you're just damaging controlling something that is stupid. Again, some ps3 fans want to turn a blind eye on it, but it's a stupid comparison. Again go compare Uncharted to the LOST game. I know Ps3 fans don't want to do it because it hurts their feelings, but...it's the way things are.

So what are you trying to say with that hand texturing crap?

*crappy comparison pics*

Not taking a stand here, i'm just curious!

And that goes for the 360, the Wii, the Xbox, the Ps2, the gamecube, the DS, the PS1, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I don't think you quite get what I am trying to communicate. No offence though. People see things from different perspectives.

No point in bringing the system wars crap.

Spoit

MickeyKnox said:
Was he the one who brought it up in that other thread?
It usually different people, but Uncharted gets brought up as a golden standard :)lol ) everytime graphics are mentioned anywhere in gaf

dLMN8R

wowfactor said:

http://shackpics.com/files/zdyu3vkktn51nd5sw0op.jpg

I never said my screenshots look like that. But nonetheless, my screenshots still look fucking beautiful, and those screenshots were taken during normal gameplay. I didn't bump up the resolution, or bump up the detail levels at all when taking those screenshots. It's exactly what it looks like I when I play my game on my computer.

NoirYuki

MickeyKnox said:
Completely wrong, on both counts.

On high difficulty levels, the suit can be kind of silly. I mean, you can practically take less body shots than the Koreans. And this is some sort of advanced body armor?

It was a fairly fun game though. Not amazing as a shooter, but it certainly looked great. STALKER is still my FPS of choice these days.

lynux3

Spoit said:
It usually different people, but Uncharted gets brought up as a golden standard :)lol ) everytime graphics are mentioned anywhere in gaf

That is because Uncharted looks amazing for being on a system that can't compete with a hign end rig running Crysis.

Why are people comparing the two anyways? Both games look amazing and are nothing alike.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, silly question but I haven't played this since it came out (downloaded it from the EA service, ugh)--how do I get the most recent patch/patches? Game doesn't seem to have an auto-updater/patch search like most games for comfy couch people like me.

AstroLad said:
So, silly question but I haven't played this since it came out (downloaded it from the EA service, ugh)--how do I get the most recent patch/patches? Game doesn't seem to have an auto-updater/patch search like most games for comfy couch people like me.
Just check the OP, I have links to download the patch in there.

Top Bottom