• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sanjay said:
people running Vista 64 how the performance and driver compatibility nowdays?
Right now, on my rig, the benchmarks are all ~2 fps slower than XP. The difference still exists, but it is minor and will likely become smaller as drivers continue to improve.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
So, this game is like even better on Delta. Just sayin'. Fucking great stuff. I just obliterated a small, seaside villa with an armored jeep. I mean dead fish, chickens, trees, KPA, shacks, nothing escaped the swath of angry automatic fire I unleashed.

zaidr

NameGenerated said:
It's not a GPU problem (I hope, both of my 8800 GTs are brand new) becasue TF2 looked fine, as did Trackmania. This all started when I tried to use Cuban's config. Do you think it might have to do with my save file? I'm using the same one from before I re-installed it.

Why not try and start with a completely new game, just to eliminate all variables. I have to say, I couldn't really stand Cuban's config because even with the lighting effects and post processing, the sub-par geometry wasn't really inspiring...and was actually very noticable.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Love this level. Love. It.
ScreenShot0043.jpg

ZOMG
ScreenShot0048.jpg

ScreenShot0054.jpg

Yeah, those are next gen sparks.
ScreenShot0038.jpg

Hay guys, what's going on in this thread?
ScreenShot0057.jpg

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
zaidr said:
Why not try and start with a completely new game, just to eliminate all variables. I have to say, I couldn't really stand Cuban's config because even with the lighting effects and post processing, the sub-par geometry wasn't really inspiring...and was actually very noticable.
I just installed everything and downgraded my beta drivers to the last official ones. For reference I can still play TF2 and World in Conflict on the highest settings with great framerate so hopefully this will work.

NameGenerated

Well downgrading my drivers didn't help, I am seriously baffled why, after 3 installations, the textures continue to look like ass. I have no idea what the hell is wrong, does my disc have like a messed up file or something? What the hell is wrong !!! Arg.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NameGenerated said:
Well downgrading my drivers didn't help, I am seriously baffled why, after 3 installations, the textures continue to look like ass. I have no idea what the hell is wrong, does my disc have like a messed up file or something? What the hell is wrong !!! Arg.

Did you uninstall the game itself and try to reinstall it? If so, you might want to have a look in your GPU control panes and make sure it's not overriding the game with a low texture setting or something like that. I don't know what else to tell you, homey.

Bad place for a gas can.
ScreenShot0004.jpg

Good place for a 'splosion.
ScreenShot0010.jpg

Sprung a leak.
ScreenShot0015.jpg

mmm
ScreenShot0019.jpg

lighting
ScreenShot0041.jpg

mmm
ScreenShot0042.jpg

Grass. Yes, that's right, grass.
ScreenShot0039.jpg

And a hen.
ScreenShot0021.jpg

A hen that blots out the sun.
ScreenShot0026.jpg

Motion Blur.
ScreenShot0033.jpg

$4,000 worth of watermelon, ruined.
ScreenShot0044.jpg

Pretty peaceful now that all the KPA troops are dead.
ScreenShot0045.jpg

My boys.
ScreenShot0046.jpg

NameGenerated

God damn, I have tried so many different things and nothing seems to work, I have no idea what to due. My Crysis experience has been ruined :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NameGenerated said:
God damn, I have tried so many different things and nothing seems to work, I have no idea what to due. My Crysis experience has been ruined :(

Can you type up a quick list of what you've done to try and resolve it? Not super detailed. Just a quick list. Something like:

Uninstalled Cuban's config
Reinstalled Level Folders
Removed .cfg file from Crysis root
Removed and reinstalled 169.28 Nvidia drivers

Let's see what we can do.

traveler

Not Wario
Finally finished the game last night. Loved it overall, but, yeah, everything from the Core on is noticeably worse than the previous levels. (And the performance drops quite a bit as well) Assault is easily my favorite level in the game- as soon as I beat it, I went back and played through it two more times in a row. So awesome.

Urk, your shots look amazing. I can see why you didn't stick with Cuban's config. Have I asked what they are before? :lol

NameGenerated said:

Did you delete the Crysis stuff from the "My Games" folder as well as the Programs folder? The first time I uninstalled it, I had the same problem you did. Then, I unistalled again and deleted the Crysis folder in My Games (the uninstall process doesn't do that) and everything worked a-ok.

This is kinda off topic, but how do you guys think Far Cry 2 is going to compare in terms of performance? (Only reason I ask is that it seems to be the only game out there that is even coming close to Crysis level visuals and it seems to feature just as much vegetation and an even greater scope.)

Davidion

Agent Ironside said:
Wow the 171 nvidia beta drivers improved my frames by about 10fps. Prolly late to the party but still....

It does...?! I'm going to go try this one out...

edit: I only see 169.21, is this driver available for WinXP 32 or did I miss something?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
traveler said:
Urk, your shots look amazing. I can see why you didn't stick with Cuban's config. Have I asked what they are before? :lol

This is kinda off topic, but how do you guys think Far Cry 2 is going to compare in terms of performance?

That's Crytek's config. ;) Very High DX10 @ 1360x768, no fullscreen AA.

I think Far Cry 2 is going to be scaled a bit more toward lower end systems, but I bet it'll still look pretty good. They haven't really shown too much of it since the multiplatform announcement, so there's not much to go on. The earlier videos looked pretty promising.

traveler

Not Wario
urk said:
That's Crytek's config. ;) Very High DX10 @ 1360x768, no fullscreen AA.

I think Far Cry 2 is going to be scaled a bit more toward lower end systems, but I bet it'll still look pretty good. They haven't really shown too much of it since the multiplatform announcement, so there's not much to go on. The earlier videos looked pretty promising.

What kind of framerate are you getting? I could only get around 20fps average at 1024 x 7something on a E6850, 8800GTX, and 4GB of RAM (1 of which my computer doesn't recognize) with Very High DX10. I wonder if it is just the performance difference between Vista 32 and the other OS' or if I need to go through my computer and clean out the Dell stuff.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Maybe I'll bench it in DX9 with the custom system.cfg and see how it performs. Though now that I think about it, I don't think I can force the GPU bench to run in DX9, can I?

traveler said:
What kind of framerate are you getting? I could only get around 20fps average at 1024 x 7something on a E6850, 8800GTX, and 4GB of RAM (1 of which my computer doesn't recognize) with Very High DX10. I wonder if it is just the performance difference between Vista 32 and the other OS' or if I need to go through my computer and clean out the Dell stuff.

Lemme go bench it and I'll report back. :D

NameGenerated

urk said:
Can you type up a quick list of what you've done to try and resolve it? Not super detailed. Just a quick list. Something like:

Uninstalled Cuban's config
Reinstalled Level Folders
Removed .cfg file from Crysis root
Removed and reinstalled 169.28 Nvidia drivers

Let's see what we can do.
Ahh...ok let's see...

-Everything was great
-Cuban's config looked great so I decided to try it out. You can see the screenshot of my first attempt a few pages back (Note I did not use the formal installer because I didn't have the net framework, I just copied and pasted stuff, that's probably why it messed up)
-Seeing this I tried to replace the files with the original. That didn't works so I uninstalled and reinstalled
-Next installed net-framework and started up the game with no modification, still bad
-Tried formally installing Cuban's config, still bad. Attempted to uninstall but it stayed at the "Uninstalling TOD" screen forever so I had to click finish
-Booted up, still bad
-Messed with some files and accidentally deleted some vital .pak files
-Uninstall, reinstall, no mods, still bad
-Put in another config, the Ultra High one, still bad
-Uninstalled and this time removed everything, profiles/saved games...everything.
-Downgraded drivers to the non-beta official ones
-Reinstalled, booted up, still bad
-Put the Ultra high config bak on, still bad
-Posting this message :p

I might have left out some stuff but I figured three wipes of the game should get rid of it all.
Basically my problem is that I am getting this ugly, glittery effect on most of my textures and they all look really smudgy. The lighting and physics are fine though, it's just the ugly textures that are making me mad.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I wonder if the uninstallation routine isn't removing the corrupted files for whatever reason. Yikes. I didn't realize you attempted to manually install and then uninstall the config. When you say you removed "everything" did you go into all of the root folders and make sure you manually removed all of the installed files. Not just the user folder stuff, but everything that exists in the EA folder?

Other than that, I'd make sure your GPU is set to default. There are often controls in there that can override game specific settings and if something was tweaked, then you could see some strange behavior, though this appears to be more of a installation/configuration issue.

Intel E6750 3.20Ghz
2GB OCZ DDR2 PC800 4-4-4-12
EVGA 8800GT 652Mhz Core 1056 Memory

Windows Vista Ultimate
DX10 32bit VeryHighSpec Configuration at 1360x768
Min FPS: 16.71
Average FPS: 23.93
High FPS: 29.81

Windows Vista Ultimate
DX9 32bit Custom HDR Configuration at 1360x768
Min FPS: 14.97
Average FPS: 28.30
High FPS: 38.75

NameGenerated

Here is what I ma dealing with.
ScreenShot0003-1.jpg

ScreenShot0002.jpg

ScreenShot0001-1.jpg

ScreenShot0000-2.jpg

Yet I still get things like...
ScreenShot0006-1.jpg

(wind reacting to the vegetation)
ScreenShot0005.jpg

(Awesome sunshafts)

So now that I passed the Ice level, it isn't so bad.

traveler

Not Wario
Ah, ok. 23fps isn't far off from I'm getting. Still, given the difference between our rigs, mine should at least be performing on par with yours, not 3 fps lower. Hmm. Wonder what I need to clean out and/or stop running in the background.

Kosma

Banned
Ok guys so I made Crysis run on High on my new 399 PC, 15/35 FPS. What do I need to do to tweak that performance? Will getting the full version and the 1.1 patch make any difference on my XP machine?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
traveler said:
Ah, ok. 23fps isn't far off from I'm getting. Still, given the difference between our rigs, mine should at least be performing on par with yours, not 3 fps lower. Hmm. Wonder what I need to clean out and/or stop running in the background.

I use a profile for gaming that has just about every service stopped and every unnecessary application closed.

NameGenerated, if it's just the ice textures, I think you might be okay. I'll check when I get a chance, but I think the "twinkle" of the ice is just a tiled effect something like the rain water effect Epic used in Gears of War. That might be normal.

traveler

Not Wario
urk said:
I use a profile for gaming that has just about every service stopped and every unnecessary application closed.

NameGenerated, if it's just the ice textures, I think you might be okay. I'll check when I get a chance, but I think the "twinkle" of the ice is just a tiled effect something like the rain water effect Epic used in Gears of War. That might be normal.

How do you set it so that it always has those things turned off? I know how to create a profile, but all I know how to do in regards to performance is go down the task manager list and manually close all non-essential apps before starting a game.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
traveler said:
How do you set it so that it always has those things turned off? I know how to create a profile, but all I know how to do in regards to performance is go down the task manager list and manually close all non-essential apps before starting a game.

This might help Kosma as well. Pretty common knowledge though. ;)

For start up programs type msconfig at the command prompt and click the startup tab. There's probably a bunch of shit running you don't need. If you're not sure about a specific app, google it or leave it alone, but some things are pretty clearly unnecessary. Stuff like Java or Quicktime update checkers, etc.

For services you can type services.msc and open each one you want to shut down. Stop them and then select Disable from the drop down list. Again, make sure you're not killing anything you need.

Another quick boost can be had by setting your display options for XP/Vista to Best Performance and by properly setting your swap file. I like to size it exactly at double the RAM for both min and max.

Also, if you're not gaming online, you can cut the internet connection from the netwroking panel and drop any anti-x software you're running.

traveler

Not Wario
urk said:

For start up programs type msconfig at the command prompt and click the startup tab. There's probably a bunch of shit running you don't need. If you're not sure about a specific app, google it or leave it alone, but some things are pretty clearly unnecessary. Stuff like Java or Quicktime update checkers, etc.

For services you can type services.msc and open each one you want to shut down. Stop them and then select Disable from the drop down list. Again, make sure you're not killing anything you need.

Another quick boost can be had by setting your display options for XP/Vista to Best Performance and by properly setting your swap file. I like to size it exactly at double the RAM for both min and max.

Also, if you're not gaming online, you can cut the internet connection from the netwroking panel and drop any anti-x software you're running.

Yeah, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to these sorts of things. Thanks for the help; I'll see what I can do.

Edit: What is a swap file? :lol

Kosma

Banned
urk said:

I only have 24 processes running right now, and that includes Blizzard Downloader and Firefox. So while playing a game I should have 23 (including the game). That's pretty good I think.

Or is this some other voodoo and I'm not reading correctly?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
oo Kosma oo said:
I only have 24 processes running right now, and that includes Blizzard Downloader and Firefox. So while playing a game I should have 23 (including the game). That's pretty good I think.

Or is this some other voodoo and I'm not reading correctly?

I think I have something like 6 running, not including services.

trav, a "swap file," also called a page file, is a file on your harddrive that is used to move items held in physical memory from the RAM and onto the disk drive when it reaches capacity. You can configure it in the properties of My Computer. Windows will normally manage the file, growing it as needed. It's better to set it yourself. If you have 2048MB of RAM, I like setting the swap at 4096. Some like 1.5x memory.

traveler

Not Wario
urk said:
I think I have something like 6 running, not including services.

trav, a "swap file," also called a page file, is a file on your harddrive that is used to move items held in physical memory from the RAM and onto the disk drive when it reaches capacity. You can configure it in the properties of My Computer. Windows will normally manage the file, growing it as needed. It's better to set it yourself. If you have 2048MB of RAM, I like setting the swap at 4096. Some like 1.5x memory.

Ah, ok. Thanks. I guess I'll set it to double the 3 gig rather than the full 4 gigs seeing as how my computer won't even recognize the fourth.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
traveler said:
Ah, ok. Thanks. I guess I'll set it to double the 3 gig rather than the full 4 gigs seeing as how my computer won't even recognize the fourth.

32bit has a 4GB total system memory addressing limit in most cases. You should see 4GB minus your GPU memory give or take.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Okay, Name. Here's a good selection of the texturing on Paradise Lost. I do see some of the larger "checkerboard" textures you noted, but they seem to occur off the beaten path. In the more general, east to access areas, they appear to be much higher quality.

Check 'em out. This should give you a good sample.

ScreenShot0000.jpg

ScreenShot0001.jpg

ScreenShot0002.jpg

ScreenShot0005.jpg

ScreenShot0006.jpg

ScreenShot0008.jpg

ScreenShot0009.jpg

ScreenShot0011.jpg

ScreenShot0013.jpg

ScreenShot0014.jpg

ScreenShot0016.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with your installation. ;)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, the further you get off the beaten path, the larger the pattern. Makes sense as there's no need to waste resources on an already taxing level using higher end texture effects on places you won't be spending much time checking out, if at all.

So, if you're only seeing that larger pattern in a few places, you're good. If it's on every surface, then you've probably got an issue.

dLMN8R

Yeah, Crytek did the ice surfaces interestingly. Instead of re-texturing everything, they simply designed an ice shader to do the trick. Instantly turn any jungle-textured surface into an ice-covered wasteland. I guess that pixelated look is just a side-effect of that shader.

NameGenerated

urk said:
Yeah, the further you get off the beaten path, the larger the pattern. Makes sense as there's no need to waste resources on an already taxing level using higher end texture effects on places you won't be spending much time checking out, if at all.

So, if you're only seeing that larger pattern in a few places, you're good. If it's on every surface, then you've probably got an issue.
Ah ok, it was mainly on the rocks and objects, not on the main ground. This makes me feel better though, they are still ugly heh.

zaidr

urk, your screenshots with grass are very nice. I've tried HP's ultra high config and everything looks beautiful except for the grass...in some places it looks down right abhorrent...would that be something to do with me running DX9 / XP, or some AF settings, or...?

And Agent, whats your setup / configs thats getting you 50 fps avg? I hoping to model my configs with another XP user...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
zaidr said:
urk, your screenshots with grass are very nice. I've tried HP's ultra high config and everything looks beautiful except for the grass...in some places it looks down right abhorrent...would that be something to do with me running DX9 / XP, or some AF settings, or...?

Not sure. A lot of config builders strip the game to it's lowest settings and then layer on effects in an attempt to simulate the Very High Specs while maintaining a decent frame rate. The result, at least in my experience, is almost always sacrifices that makes certain aspects of the game appear or behave worse then Crytek's default.

I notice a slight improvement moving from XP DX9 to Vista DX10, but nothing that would be noticeable at all in a screen grab.

zaidr

In that case, I'm guessing you were unlocking Very High setting in XP to get to where the difference between XP and DX10 Vista is negligible, am I right? Could you direct me to which config you were using in XP to get Very High? Thanks.

Top Bottom