• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is there any way to lock the framerate? I am sick (literally) of Crysis jumping back and forth. If I cant handle 30fps during fights then why go above when nothing is happening... The sad thing is that the effect is giving me motion sickness and now I remember thats why I stopped playing PC FPS games, I just start throwing up if my framerate isnt locked.

Please help. Any third party apps, or config variables to set a maximum fps? Also I tried the cuban config and even though it did give me a little boost in performance, it crashed in one of the cut scenes. I have suffered enough already. If on Monday (when my RAM arrives) I cannot get a decent performance out of the game, I'll just wait for new drivers. I will not play a game that keeps going under 30fps. Also, on medium settings it doesn't look any better than Halo 3 so it loses parts of its appeal. I do like the gameplay and its by far the most overlooked aspect of the game, I couldnt give a shit about the graphics at this point.

godhandiscen

Urk saved the day again. It was my RAM. After I got a new 4GB set and was able to run in dual channel mode, I am getting 30fps on average running the game at high settings (everything) @ 1280X800 in DX10 mode and 64 bit executable. God I love how good it runs. The difficulty still pisses me off (I wish I was the MC) but then again I am playing with the 360 pad. What about toggle crouch Crytek?

Also I pass the CPU test with flamming colors. At some point it does reach 5fps, but then it runs fairly well, and my average on the GPU test is 30fps.

Everdred

Started playing this game again, forgot how awesome it is. Just ordered 2 more gig sticks to hopefully increase performance. Total 4 gigs after this.

godhandiscen

I get 30fps on average, but there is always horribly stupid framerate drops. This game hasnt been optimized for shit. I cannot fucking stand the framerate drops. I am installing the CubanConfig now, but if that doesnt help me then I am done with Crysis.

rabhw

godhandiscen said:
Urk saved the day again. It was my RAM. After I got a new 4GB set and was able to run in dual channel mode, I am getting 30fps on average running the game at high settings (everything) @ 1280X800 in DX10 mode and 64 bit executable. God I love how good it runs. The difficulty still pisses me off (I wish I was the MC) but then again I am playing with the 360 pad. What about toggle crouch Crytek?

Also I pass the CPU test with flamming colors. At some point it does reach 5fps, but then it runs fairly well, and my average on the GPU test is 30fps.

wat

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
godhandiscen said:
Urk saved the day again. It was my RAM. After I got a new 4GB set and was able to run in dual channel mode, I am getting 30fps on average running the game at high settings (everything) @ 1280X800 in DX10 mode and 64 bit executable. God I love how good it runs.

Awesome. You're going to have a pretty difficult time with the pad as it will limit your options and you'll lose some critical accuracy. I play in my living room with a wireless KB/M. All I did was got a nice sized piece of finished wood and put it on my lap. Pillows to the side if you need a place to rest your wrists. Slides right under the couch when you're not using it.

;)

godhandiscen

rabhw said:
I am "mouse ignorant". I just cant use the mouse to save my life. I manage all graphical UIs through the keyboard and when in linux I do everything through shell scripts. Sorry, but I actually consider the mouse a noob tool. I am way faster with my keyboard, at least when working. This is what forces me to play with the 360 pad, I just feel at home with it.

urk said:
Awesome. You're going to have a pretty difficult time with the pad as it will limit your options and you'll lose some critical accuracy. I play in my living room with a wireless KB/M. All I did was got a nice sized piece of finished wood and put it on my lap. Pillows to the side if you need a place to rest your wrists. Slides right under the couch when you're not using it.

;)
Yeah, no wireless KB here :(

Anyways, I am getting stupid framerate drops every now and then, and I hate this shit. There is no point in having 40fps while walking through the woods if the framerate takes a dive with every heavy fight. I tried installing the CubanConfig to see if it would help (it promises a stable framerate after all) but it failed to open one file, after cancelling, my Crysis installation was corrupeted. Now I uninstalled everything and I am going to try all over again. Any suggestions?

rabhw

godhandiscen said:

Anyways, I am getting stupid framerate drops every now and then, and I hate this shit. There is no point in having 40fps while walking through the woods if the framerate takes a dive with every heavy fight. I tried installing the CubanConfig to see if it would help (it promises a stable framerate after all) but it failed to open one file, after cancelling, my Crysis installation was corrupeted. Now I uninstalled everything and I am going to try all over again. Any suggestions?

Make sure you're patched to 1.2 before using the Cuban config. For that matter, patching in general would improve your performance somewhat.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
godhandiscen said:

I'm not a big fan of most of the user created configs. I almost always went back to the Crytek originals. The only way you're going to see stable frames is to lose some of the eye candy. Crysis is just too demanding right now, and even the most insane hardware going can't prevent frame drops.

You can always drop the resolution. :(

rabhw

Yeah, after doing some benchmarks myself, I found that using Crytek with everything set to High, Shaders, PostProcessing, and Motion Blur set to Very High, gave me better performance than the Cuban Config Level 4 setting.

The only reason I have those 3 set to very high is because thats the only way I could get object-motion-blur to work. Writing my own cfg to enable it wasn't working :/

Object motion blur is the most amazing effect this game has to offer :D

godhandiscen

rabhw said:
Make sure you're patched to 1.2 before using the Cuban config. For that matter, patching in general would improve your performance somewhat.
Yeah, my performance isnt bad at all, its great for the settings at which I am running the game at, is just that the framerate drops bug me to no end. The only game I play is Halo 3, so I am used to a fixed framerate with little to no drops. Crysis constantly jumps in its framerate. Even if I get an average of 35fps, it will always take a dive to 25fps every now and then when a huge fight is going on, or the game decided to make its stupid checkpoints.

PS: the game is hard as shit with the pad.

rabhw said:
Yeah, after doing some benchmarks myself, I found that using Crytek with everything set to High, Shaders, PostProcessing, and Motion Blur set to Very High, gave me better performance than the Cuban Config Level 4 setting.

The only reason I have those 3 set to very high is because thats the only way I could get object-motion-blur to work. Writing my own cfg to enable it wasn't working :/

Object motion blur is the most amazing effect this game has to offer :D
What hardware do you have, and at which resolution do you run.

rabhw

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, my performance isnt bad at all, its great for the settings at which I am running the game at, is just that the framerate drops bug me to no end. The only game I play is Halo 3, so I am used to a fixed framerate with little to no drops. Crysis constantly jumps in its framerate. Even if I get an average of 35fps, it will always take a dive to 25fps every now and then when a huge fight is going on, or the game decided to make its stupid checkpoints.

PS: the game is hard as shit with the pad.

Yeah, my last 2 playthrough's have been on delta, really enjoyable, but it's laughable how broken the bullet-penetration is on delta at least. I can quite literally shoot someone in the chest 25 times (missing 5 shots of a 30 shot clip), and he's still alive and kicking, then the second a bullet hits him in the head he drops like a rock.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, no getting around drops, no matter the config. The non-standard files all look shitty to me by comparison and plenty have a lot of weird bugs and performance issues.

I'm one of those lucky people who isn't bothered by frame hits unless a game is chugging. But I can see how it would be really bothersome if you were tuned into it.

rabhw

godhandiscen said:
What hardware do you have, and at which resolution do you run.

Q6600 G0 @ 3.0GHz
4gb DDR800 5-4-4-12
EVGA 8800 Ultra @ Stock
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
4x500gb Seagate Barracudas
24" BenQ FP241W

I play at 1920x1200, and my FPS isn't great, but I refuse to play at a resolution lower than my monitor's native res. I'd rather it be a bit choppy than look like theres vaseline all over my screen.

godhandiscen

TBH I think a lot of ppl, have the concept of this game wrong. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic, the open ended nature of the gameplay is terrific, but the graphics either look like FarCry (which doesnt look great by current gen standards) or you better get used to the framerate drops. Its sad, because had Crytek optimized its code a little bit more it could have delivered the SP campaign of a lifetime, at least for me.

rabhw said:
Q6600 G0 @ 3.0GHz
4gb DDR800 5-4-4-12
EVGA 8800 Ultra @ Stock
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
4x500gb Seagate Barracudas
24" BenQ FP241W

I play at 1920x1200, and my FPS isn't great, but I refuse to play at a resolution lower than my monitor's native res. I'd rather it be a bit choppy than look like theres vaseline all over my screen.
What is ur framerate?

rabhw

godhandiscen said:
TBH I think a lot of ppl, have the concept of this game wrong. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic, the open ended nature of the gameplay is terrific, but the graphics either look like FarCry (which doesnt look great by current gen standards) or you better get used to the framerate drops. Its sad, because had Crytek optimized its code a little bit more it could have delivered the SP campaign of a lifetime, at least for me.

The engine itself is actually pretty insane from a technical standpoint. It's quite literally doing things that other engines won't be doing for a year or two. There isn't optimizing to be done, the hardware to run it simply doesn't exist yet. When you really stop and consider just how much is happening at any one time, on any one screen, the engine is really something to marvel at. It's just a matter of playing the waiting game for NVIDIA to get it's ass into gear already. ATI isn't exactly helping matters.

my Framerate hovers around 28-35 in most of the jungle areas, the snow levels (spoilarZ?), and the alien levels (spoilarz?) bend my computer over and rape it.

godhandiscen

rabhw said:
The engine itself is actually pretty insane from a technical standpoint. It's quite literally doing things that other engines won't be doing for a year or two. There isn't optimizing to be done, the hardware to run it simply doesn't exist yet. When you really stop and consider just how much is happening at any one time, on any one screen, the engine is really something to marvel at. It's just a matter of playing the waiting game for NVIDIA to get it's ass into gear already. ATI isn't exactly helping matters.

my Framerate hovers around 28-35 in most of the jungle areas, the snow levels (spoilarZ?), and the alien levels (spoilarz?) bend my computer over and rape it.
So i am going to see even worse drops? I am so close to giving up. I wish I had not registered my copy.

rabhw

godhandiscen said:
So i am going to see even worse drops? I am so close to giving up. I wish I had not registered my copy.

Well I don't think you're running at 1200p are you? I'd recommend dropping your res off a bit and seeing how that goes. If you wanna test your framerate in those levels, get this program and try them out.

adg1034

I figured I might as well join the screenshot-posting fun.

Sorry for the thumbnail- it was the best place I could find to host a plain PNG that didn't do anything else to it.

Used Cuban's settings, level 5 (gasp), but believe me, it didn't run all that well.

I always find the zero-G level amazing- it looks so painterly.

scoobs

Wow just finished... I have to say that was a freaking great game and I can't way for the inevitable sequel to come.... I <3 crysis.

I used http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999 TOD config and was averaging 30-50fps on the 3rd setting. I HIGHLY recommend this config for anyone wanting to up their framerates and improve the graphics. I went from like... anywhere from 5-15 fps in the snow levels to 30-40 with no noticeable fps drops whatsoever. CHECK IT OUT!

scoobs said:
Wow just finished... I have to say that was a freaking great game and I can't way for the inevitable sequel to come.... I <3 crysis.

I used http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999 TOD config and was averaging 30-50fps on the 3rd setting. I HIGHLY recommend this config for anyone wanting to up their framerates and improve the graphics. I went from like... anywhere from 5-15 fps in the snow levels to 30-40 with no noticeable fps drops whatsoever. CHECK IT OUT!

how does the config compare graphically to natural mod 2.0???

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I just got a new computer and Crysis, and it is the first FPS I have played on PC with keyboard and mouse since the original Call of Duty came out in '03. In the intervening years I played many FPS games on console, and I am having a hard time readjusting. I am actually considering a controller too.

scoobs

nelsonroyale said:
how does the config compare graphically to natural mod 2.0???

Honestly I prefer this one, the framerate is rock solid I have yet to experience a dip in frames its silky smooth. The graphics are noticeably improved upon stock crysis graphics with a seriously impressive TOD cfg. Its worth a try if you are curious.

Guileless said:
I just got a new computer and Crysis, and it is the first FPS I have played on PC with keyboard and mouse since the original Call of Duty came out in '03. In the intervening years I played many FPS games on console, and I am having a hard time readjusting. I am actually considering a controller too.

No! That's like saying "I've been on crutches because of a broken leg the last two months and I'm having trouble readjusting to walking, so I'm considering just using crutches for the rest of my life."

Guileless said:

I know it has controller support, but do these PC games have the sticky aim of console FPS? Cause if not, it would probably be worse for you.

I usually compete a little better in console FPS, but I find using the kb+mouse a lot more fun so I play on PC. Actually what I think would be perfect (though you'd lose the hotkeys for competitive play) is a Wii nunchuk and mouse.

edit: actually the nunchuk would screw up strafing

Mash

ScrabbleBanshee said:
No! That's like saying "I've been on crutches because of a broken leg the last two months and I'm having trouble readjusting to walking, so I'm considering just using crutches for the rest of my life."

He likes using the controller, this isn't the olympics, it's about enjoying the game. So long as he doesn't expect to be the top of the leaderboards online who cares.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I bought a new laptop (for mainly office use not gaming) and downloaded the crysis demo to test how much it kicked my computers ass. I was surprised to find that I can run at medium settings (800x600 which is fine by me) with about 25 fps even in heavy firefights. I really enjoyed the demo, the free roaming aspect, the destructibility of objects, the different options for attack etc and so am tempted to get the full game.
Reading some of this thread it sounds like later parts of the game stress the hardware a lot more than the demo does. I don't mind occasional slowdown, I have been PC gaming on substandard computers for a long time, but are later stages of the game going to render the game unplayable?

ScrabbleBanshee said:

ughh....I've been playing Crysis with the Xbox 360 controller and I am enjoying the game. I had a hard time adjusting to KB+M.

I don't play Crysis MP so not having KB+M doesnt bother me. CRUTCHS FTW!!! :lol

bee

aeolist said:
I know it's too early for mods to hit but are there any good user addons or tweaks yet?

the proper full blown mods wont be hitting till around christmas time and they certainly look to be worth waiting for

in the mean time there's a few single player levels for now with a LOT more coming soon with all the mapping competitions going on, they all seem to have been made by single individuals but ive played a few good ones

try these maybe

- Savanna2Jungle
- Crashed
- Clone island
- Strange island
- An assasins job

they're all about 30mins to 1 hour long

eznark

Banned
aeolist said:
I know it's too early for mods to hit but are there any good user addons or tweaks yet?

There are some really amazing looking ones in the works (including a Zelda mod) but one that really looks promising is called Lost Worlds or something, and features dinosaurs.

Haunted

Very happy with Cuban's config on level 4. Looks better than the Natural Mod 2.0, imo. Especially at nighttime.

And the crutches analogy is awesome. Some people are just happier with the crutches. They won't ever outrun someone not using crutches, but as long as they're having fun, it's all good. Play and let play. :p

scoobs

Haunted One said:
Very happy with Cuban's config on level 4. Looks better than the Natural Mod 2.0, imo. Especially at nighttime.

And the crutches analogy is awesome. Some people are just happier with the crutches. They won't ever outrun someone not using crutches, but as long as they're having fun, it's all good. Play and let play. :p

Ya I'm on level 3 and its honestly still breathtakingly gorgeous with NO dips in frames.

yep Ive just tried the cuban config on level 4 (with my laptop hahah) and it runs reasonably (playable) and looks quite alot better than natural mod 2.0...honestly the shadowing is on and it looks god damn insane....can't believe I am able to play on what looks almost as good as very high on my laptop hahah

Mash

poppabk said:
I bought a new laptop (for mainly office use not gaming) and downloaded the crysis demo to test how much it kicked my computers ass. I was surprised to find that I can run at medium settings (800x600 which is fine by me) with about 25 fps even in heavy firefights. I really enjoyed the demo, the free roaming aspect, the destructibility of objects, the different options for attack etc and so am tempted to get the full game.
Reading some of this thread it sounds like later parts of the game stress the hardware a lot more than the demo does. I don't mind occasional slowdown, I have been PC gaming on substandard computers for a long time, but are later stages of the game going to render the game unplayable?

The performance does get worse later on in the game I'm afraid.

Spoit

There's a physics playground map that's pretty fun, it's called Physis or something like that. Crytek really has been doing a pretty good getting the tools and tutorials out there, and that intel mapping contest they've been running should be having the finalists chosen pretty soon iirc.

A lot of the large mods that have been announced seem to be surprisingly far along in development for it only being half a year since it was released, as well as being pretty darned polished compared to a lot of those source projects. I'm really looking forward to Mechwarrior: living legends in paticular

epmode

So when is this being released on Steam? FarCry's already there.

Or is this not distributed by Ubisoft?

edit: Fuck. EA. Nevermind.

aeolist

Banned
Cuban's Config level 4 is great but runs a little choppy. I want to drop it to level 3 but can't figure out how and the readme isn't helping. Can anyone help me out?

adg1034

aeolist said:
Cuban's Config level 4 is great but runs a little choppy. I want to drop it to level 3 but can't figure out how and the readme isn't helping. Can anyone help me out?

In the .rar file it came in were two .exe files, one for the installation and one for the uninstall. There's probably an easier way (though I haven't found it), but what I do is uninstall the config, then reinstall it with a different graphics setting. A bit clunky, but it works.

aeolist

Banned
That worked, thanks. Runs a lot smoother now, and doesn't really look much worse. Great tweaking tool.

I like the gameplay enough that all modders need to do is release totally freeform levels spanning an entire island with a few dozen guys for me to kill in bases, patrols, and boats/helicopters and I'll be happy as a lark. Shouldn't take too long to make either.

Spoit

aeolist said:
That worked, thanks. Runs a lot smoother now, and doesn't really look much worse. Great tweaking tool.

I like the gameplay enough that all modders need to do is release totally freeform levels spanning an entire island with a few dozen guys for me to kill in bases, patrols, and boats/helicopters and I'll be happy as a lark. Shouldn't take too long to make either.
Unfortunately, most of the maps which have been released are far too linear. That one with the lighthouse that there were a lot of pictures on earlier was good about that though.

EDIT: it's crashed from bee's post

aeolist

Banned
Reality Enhancement Mod

I feel this makes the gameplay feel a lot better and more balanced. You install the mod and start a Delta difficulty new game so all the standard Delta effects are in like spoken Korean and no crosshair. Here's the main differences I've seen:

-Enemies die a lot faster, body armor is not as impenetrable.
-Enemies are less stupid about finding you when you use a silencer and can see your cloak a bit better. Also if you cloak in front of an enemy, walk upright or run when cloaked, or move directly in front of an enemy in full sunlight you are much less likely to lose them.
-Sprint and Cloak drain the energy bar much much slower to balance this out.
-Energy bar recharges much more slowly, a bit faster when in Armor mode. Health only regenerates when in Armor mode.
-Better blood/bullet impact effects and decals.
-Guns have individual recoil settings and more recoil overall. Also animations are slower, especially reloading.
-Gun sound effects are better and more realistic, especially the shotgun and MGs.
-Mounted MGs do not overheat and have less spread.
-Shooting a Jeep gas can on the back will not make the whole car explode.

Plays much better now IMO. Stealth especially is a lot better since the cloak can be used a lot more (you can run around upright for quite a while before it drains) but is less perfect at fooling enemies. AI is better but their inhuman accuracy is greatly reduced.

Everdred

As I said about a week ago I ordered 2 more gigs of ram to total 4 and it really helped my frames. I was getting 15-30 before and now I'm getting a steady 25-35 on VERY HIGH. It doesn't really give you more frames but it helps you stablize it.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Overclocked
Memory: 4 gigs RAM

The Chef

Its been about a week since I built my new PC and bought Crysis. The main reason for getting the game was merely because I wanted to be able to see what my new build was truly capable of doing.
I never had any thought that I would be playing one of the best FPS games of my life.

Have I just been in the dark this whole time? I think everyone knows how incredible this game looks but do people dismiss it because they know their computer cant run it?

Crysis left me in awe dozens of times through the whole experience. Never has a fps had such an impact on me - not even Episode 2.

Complete stealth, full fledged war, drive tanks, sky dive,
man a drop ship
experience
zero gravity
, jedi force powers, lush jungle and
frozen wastelands
along with
nuclear weapons

This game blends every facet of great games and smashes them together in a beyond perfect presentation and pace.

This is a must play title of this generation. I just hope it doesn't become lost in the slew of new games this year.

aznpxdd

Played through the game on normal the first time with Cuban's custom config. Now playing through the game again on modded Delta and Helder's config...it looks like a entirely different game. Much better shadow and very cool depth of field effect. Here's a comparison shot for anyone interested.

Cuban:
crysis642008-03-2817-08-34-38.jpg

Helder:
crysis642008-04-2422-48-59-93.jpg

Demigod Mac

Cuban's config massively improved my framerate, but I don't like the ToD mod very much. The colors are way too garish, too much contrast. Uninstalled.

Top Bottom