• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

So im playing through Crysis/Warhead again on my 5770, and ive noticed something that i never had when using previous cards....... rock textures look surprisingly better ? I always seemed to remember them looking a bit dull, but now they actually look pretty damn sharp and upto scratch with everything else in the world, is it just me ?

ScreenShot0000.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The rock textures always looked pretty damn good to me especially in the snow levels. I'm using a 4870 1GB.

Binabik15

Any config that makes Crysis run better on a lower end pc?

I already have bought it, but didn´t go through with buying a pc. Now I´ll have to play it on my brother´s pc (a Q6600 and GeForce 9500 GS), otherwise I wasted 10 euro :(

Binabik15

Nobody cares about Crysis anymore or what :lol

Delta is so damn awesome, I´m glad I followed GAF´s advice and didn´t start in pussy mode. I feel like the ultimate badass (that has to hide every ten seconds to not get killed) and sneaking around enemy patrols and fucking them up from behind (or ignoring them) is much more exciting than the normal fps run and gun.

I don´t know if it´s the difficulty level or the game itself (or my mindset) but I´m having much more fun than with Warhead, which I played before. There I stopped playing at the ice level.

I´m just afraid that my brother´s pc wont be able to handle the later levels, right now it plays okay-ish at medium and below 720p (unless there´s a lot of smoke). Still better than GTA 4 on colsoles, I´d say :lol

I´m just so pissed that I missed the 5870 at 290 euro offer, every benchmark I could find it claims that Crysis (Warhead) isn´t playable at 1920x1200 on a (220 euro) 5850 (without OC, at least) and my screen is 1080p native :/ And as it looks Duke nukem forever could be out before Europe gets a steady supply of 58xx cards, anyway.

I wanted to buy crysis when I got my new pc, still not brought it but I think i'll ask someone grab it for me this christmas, the more I look at this game and it's custom fan made patches and filters, the more I want to play it, but also know my pc will strain at 20-30fps :D

Crysis was awesome game that got labeled as "nothing but graphics" even before it came out. And then so many people were scared of how it would run or they couldn't handle it that it really narrowed down it's potential sales. It really was an excellent game. I wasn't to keen on the campaign in Warhead though.

The Hermit

Eh, this is the only game in my PC that almost fry my GPU... I am getting at 70c before some graphical artifacts shows up running on very high XP mode.

Well, I recently reinstalled the Steam version of Crysis and I've been having some problems with it. The first problem deals with the startup movies, more specifically the Intel startup movie. The Intel startup movie becomes distorted and this distortion affects the main menu: http://i34.tinypic.com/10xr1tt.jpg. That's a screenshot of my main menu. The Intel startup movie is similarly distorted. The problem only ever occurs in window mode and it will only disappear once I load up a game. Just curious if this is a common problem.

Also, I've been having problems connecting to a server. I can make my own server and connect to it, but can't join any other server. It just sits at the loading screen doing absolutely nothing I think. It might be downloading something but I don't know if Crysis does in-game downloads.

Binabik15

BattleMonkey said:
Crysis was awesome game that got labeled as "nothing but graphics" even before it came out. And then so many people were scared of how it would run or they couldn't handle it that it really narrowed down it's potential sales. It really was an excellent game. I wasn't to keen on the campaign in Warhead though.

I have to admit that I thought like this. Maybe the should´ve focused more on the excellent Delta gameplay for their trailers and promotions.

Watching my brother play on normal is strange, it feels totally different, he can just go in and kill everybody like an angry god, I on the other hand have to tread very carefully and without a succesfull diversion or rear attack even against a five man patrol I´m fucked most of the times. The tension of those about to run out of energy moments is so good.

But fuck the damn bullet sponge nano-suits soldiers. Especially the gen, come on, how often do I have to shoot his bare face to kill him? That totally killed that fight for me.

One question about my sworn enemies, attack helis. I saw a youtube vid where they shot the tanks off the heli with the scar and brought it down, it was an early build of Crysis. I never managed to do that. Is this still in?

And another one, when my new pc arrives, can I play against my brother in LAN with the same copy on both pcs or would we need two? Because I won´t buy another one just to kick his ass every other month.

BattleMonkey said:

I was surprised how easily i could actually run it with my 1GB 4870. I thought it would eat me alive but i can even ramp the AA up to 4x on ultra (small custom config and couple of homemade tweaks) and still get 40-30 FPS at 1280x1024. Much of the "You can't run it!!" hype was ramped up by the PS3 crowd who were still expecting to actuall get a supercomputer:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Baiano19 said:
Eh, this is the only game in my PC that almost fry my GPU... I am getting at 70c before some graphical artifacts shows up running on very high XP mode.
that's weird. i run my card (295) under load at 75ish w/o problems. crysis does push it more than any other game though. actually the game that made me have to scale back my overclock a touch.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Binabik15 said:
I have to admit that I thought like this. Maybe the should´ve focused more on the excellent Delta gameplay for their trailers and promotions.

Watching my brother play on normal is strange, it feels totally different, he can just go in and kill everybody like an angry god, I on the other hand have to tread very carefully and without a succesfull diversion or rear attack even against a five man patrol I´m fucked most of the times. The tension of those about to run out of energy moments is so good.

But fuck the damn bullet sponge nano-suits soldiers. Especially the gen, come on, how often do I have to shoot his bare face to kill him? That totally killed that fight for me.

One question about my sworn enemiey, attack helis. I saw a youtube vid where they shot the tanks off the heli with the scar and brought it down, it was an early build of Crysis. I never managed to do that. Is this still in?

And another one, when my new pc arrives, can I play against my brother in LAN with the same copy on both pcs or would we need two? Because I won´t buy another one just to kick his ass every other month.
Activate strength mode and just strafe around him while punching. :lol

Yeah, that fight is impossible to take seriously.

Binabik15 said:

One question about my sworn enemies, attack helis. I saw a youtube vid where they shot the tanks off the heli with the scar and brought it down, it was an early build of Crysis. I never managed to do that. Is this still in?

From what I remember you could still shoot off parts of the helicopter like the missile pods, but it takes lot of work that it's usually easier to take out with other weapons.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I used to take out heli by shooting their fuel tanks then pelt them with bullets :lol

Just aim for the tail rotor then the main rotor, and it will go down SO FAST to bullets. I shoot the tanks because I like seeing them on fire. Also the helicopter will leave if it stays badly damaged enough. (Considerable time)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i played both crysis and warhead on normal and thought it was pretty badass. not exactly the kind of game i go into wanting to think/strategize. dsfdf

Slavik81

I picked the game up off Steam and it's pretty good. It plays a lot differently than FarCry, though, despite its similarities. The biggest thing is the power-suit, which makes me want to play the game on Normal and just feel like Spiderman murdering North Koreans.

I'm watching one of the dead Koreans flop around on the ground, because he somehow got his arm stuck inside of himself, and the collision physics just won't let him stop waggling.

What kind of framerate improvement can you expect with these tweaks? I just picked up an extra card to crossfire (2x 4850) and I figure I would give Crysis another shot.

Darkflight said:
Was just gonna post that, its amazing - the ending, wow. If only it flew, I'd think I'd die.
Should be (relatively) easy to do considering Crysis had VTOLs in it and people have made working flyable aircraft in other mods.

NIN90

Is it normal that the koreans notice me so easily? They can see me from very far away and they hear me every time. Playing a stealthy cat and mouse game is no fun that way. :(
I'm playing on hard, btw.

Sorry for the bump guys, but I just bought a new PC a few weeks ago, and obviously Crysis was THE game to test it out :D

But why doesn't my game looks as nice as most of the pictures posted here. Specially texture wise, I see all those good looking rocks and mud puddles yet I saw nothing like that when I played it, and I have everything maxed out.

Also, is it normal to have this weird grain filter? Some times the filter even turns into a subtle white border around my weapon when I get close to walls and such.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Metalmurphy said:
Sorry for the bump guys, but I just bought a new PC a few weeks ago, and obviously Crysis was THE game to test it out :D

But why doesn't my game looks as nice as most of the pictures posted here. Specially texture wise, I see all those good looking rocks and mud puddles yet I saw nothing like that when I played it, and I have everything maxed out.

Also, is it normal to have this weird grain filter? Some times the filter even turns into a subtle white border around my weapon when I get close to walls and such.
Seriously.
How do you get it to look like this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18170628&postcount=1801

Astrolad asked but no response.

Tzeentch said:
Crytek has announced a free educational license of CryEngine 3 (have to go through official channels, can't get it as an individual). Remains to be seen what the free SDK allows you to do and how restrictive they are on the licensing.

http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=42
Ooh nice, must be to counter UE3 UDK. I'll mention it to an instructor at my school, but I'm sure they don't want to switch from Torque :lol

Blizzard

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Seriously.
How do you get it to look like this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18170628&postcount=1801

Astrolad asked but no response.
Still no answers for this? I'm afraid my Crysis Warhead looked more like metalmurphy's (I think it was him) screenshots on very high...which are decent, but not that great, especially compared to all the screenshots that people use to say that Crysis is so much better than Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 or whatever. :/

Sorry for the bump.

I bought the crysis Maximum edtion is anticipation of my new pc. I have a couple of questions.

1.) Will the maximum edition of crysis and warhead come with all patches already implemented?

2.) how is the crysis wars online community? do people still play the game?

I got a 5870 card recently so hopefully I can run the game decently.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kabuki Waq said:
Sorry for the bump.

I bought the crysis Maximum edtion is anticipation of my new pc. I have a couple of questions.

1.) Will the maximum edition of crysis and warhead come with all patches already implemented?

1) Steam, probably. Retail no. I think 1.21 is the most recent for Crysis.
2) No clue

Also make sure to use a custom .ini file such as Mster or Very High 1.21 or [HP]'s.

Kabuki Waq said:
Sorry for the bump.

1.) Pretty sure its just the bog standard discs chucked in, not already patched. For Crysis you will need 1.2 + 1.21 hotfix, Warhead you will need 1.1 and Wars 1.5.

Crysis -

1.2 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=1073
1.21 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=1194

Warhead -

1.1 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=9419

Wars -

1.5 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=9437

2.) Has a small but strong community going, shouldnt have any problems finding a game. Alot of servers run Mesa only and with some kind of modding done (like different starting weapons, aircraft pricing etc). I believe theres a community patch being made.

As for the 5870, you should feel like this when playing -

thor.jpg

Ogs said:
1.) Pretty sure its just the bog standard discs chucked in, not already patched. For Crysis you will need 1.2 + 1.21 hotfix, Warhead you will need 1.1 and Wars 1.5.

Crysis -

1.2 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=1073
1.21 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=1194

Warhead -

1.1 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=9419

Wars -

1.5 - http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase.php?fileid=9437

2.) Has a small but strong community going, shouldnt have any problems finding a game. Alot of servers run Mesa only and with some kind of modding done (like different starting weapons, aircraft pricing etc). I believe theres a community patch being made.

As for the 5870, you should feel like this when playing -

thor.jpg

Thanks a lot dude!

AstroLad said:
c32maz.jpg

What are you using to get that? I played through on all max but I wanna play w/ whatever patch/settings get you that.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a Crytek 3 engine screenshot. Also, I use "Cuban Ultima Doom Sword's Custom Crysis Config [CCC] v1.31" do you guys recommend that one or is there a config that is generally considered better than that?

Ogs said:
I thought it was from the "Assault" level (i *think* i found a cave like that when having a roam), could be wrong.

Something about the screenshot just looks better than Crysis actually looks, maybe it's the high amount of depth of field that the guy who took the screenshot was somehow able to achieve, because I don't remember the depth of field ever being that intense unless I was aiming down the iron sights of my gun.

bee

akkirm.jpg

crysis warhead 1920x1200 max settings on the most intense graphical benchmark (avalanche) and you could vsync it at 60fps, only took 2 years and £770 of graphics cards :D

very close to doing it with 4xAA aswell

2q8zxfo.jpg

Finally got crysis and have been playing it non stop. I get 30fps on my 5870. VEry High + 8xAA.

Here is my question if I change my AA settings in the Catalyst to 8xAA and then play crysis do i still have to set 8XAA in the crysis systems settings?

Do any of the Catalys configurations actually matter is crysis?

bee

Kabuki Waq said:
Finally got crysis and have been playing it non stop. I get 30fps on my 5870. VEry High + 8xAA.

Here is my question if I change my AA settings in the Catalyst to 8xAA and then play crysis do i still have to set 8XAA in the crysis systems settings?

Do any of the Catalys configurations actually matter is crysis?

using in game AA settings is always better and much more efficient than forcing it through driver control panel

TaKeRx

Hello guys. I'm having a problem updating crysis. I bought it off steam and when I went and upgraded to 1.2 it gives me an installation error number 1642. Anyone with this problem before?

Top Bottom