• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Doc Evils

Here's some high quality pics of the intro.

bandwith rape AHOY!.

727n3op.jpg

850wy9v.jpg

81a2lx3.jpg

7x1l3cy.jpg

6tx85zm.jpg

8c1kqb5.jpg

8gh2kqv.jpg

6wntkso.jpg

6llh9w1.jpg

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX

4GB Ram

Creative X-Fi

playing at 1680 x 1050 @ very high settings with 4 x aa with super sampling.

Doc Evils said:
My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX

4GB Ram

Creative X-Fi

playing at 1680 x 1050 @ very high settings with 4 x aa with super sampling.

What kind of framerate are you getting? Maybe an extra 2gig of ram is exactly what I need. I'm playng at 1280x800 and enjoying the 35-45fps over the higher res at very high no AA.

Doc Evils

Phaethon0017 said:
What kind of framerate are you getting? Maybe an extra 2gig of ram is exactly what I need. I'm playng at 1280x800 and enjoying the 35-45fps over the higher res at very high no AA.

Between 16 and 30, depending on how hectic the scenes gets.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doc Evils said:

Maybe a silly question but do you have to somehow enable 64-bit mode to get the benefit of the 4gigs? I know HL2 has 64-bit mode but don't know how this works with other games. I really need to try to squeeze out as much as a kind, as I'm a bit disappointed with the performance so far. Switching from SLI auto-setting to AFR (or SFR, I can't remember) of all things seem to give me an extra 5-15 FPS, so I know work can be done all over.

Doc Evils

AstroLad said:
Maybe a silly question but do you have to somehow enable 64-bit mode to get the benefit of the 4gigs? I know HL2 has 64-bit mode but don't know how this works with other games. I really need to try to squeeze out as much as a kind, as I'm a bit disappointed with the performance so far. Switching from SLI auto-setting to AFR (or SFR, I can't remember) of all things seem to give me an extra 5-15 FPS, so I know work can be done all over.

Crysis should auto use 64bit mode from what I understand, but I think from what I am expriencing and seeing from others is that the memory management is a bit crap so far, which I think is causing memory leaks that fubar the drivers. That's probably why we are getting new drivers and patches for the game in the next week or so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doc Evils said:
Why not drop your resolution? Is the higher resolution REALLY worth such low framerates? That would be the first thing I cut as you could maintain high levels of detail at a much faster framerate. High resolutions rock, but not at the expense of performance.

dark10x said:
Why not drop your resolution? Is the higher resolution REALLY worth such low framerates? That would be the first thing I cut as you could maintain high levels of detail at a much faster framerate. High resolutions rock, but not at the expense of performance.

Dropping his AA to x0 would be better than dropping his resolution, at least IMHO.

AA in Crysis is a performance hog, I play at 16x10, and I don't see a big need for AA, much less x4 AA.

dark10x

Solideliquid said:
Dropping his AA to x0 would be better than dropping his resolution, at least IMHO.

AA in Crysis is a performance hog, I play at 16x10, and I don't see a big need for AA, much less x4 AA.
I dunno, the edge AA makes a *HUGE* difference. Look at the shots Mickey posted, for example. The smooth foliage really improves the visuals greatly. The other winter shot with 4x AA (without edge AA) looks like crap in comparison.

Games that focus on distant details really need AA to look their best. I'd say a lower resolution image with AA would be superior to a higher resolution without it.

Look, I think this...

7xuc5kl.jpg

...looks significantly worse than...

00032.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have a Core 2 Duo, a 8600gts, 2gigs of ram and running Vista - what should I be expecting?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Fallout-NL said:
Medium settings?

Yeah it selects that but at 1650 and no AA it runs like 18fps, really crap.

I put it on ~900x something and Medium and no AA and runs 50fps which is ok, but yeah :/

Whats a good WS resolution thats lower.

Doc Evils

I don't think I can live without AA. I'm used to low frame rates from consoles and past PC gaming exprience so it doesn't really bother.

plus I prefer to play in native res.

here's some more screens, not really story spoiling I guess?

80n03nb.jpg

8ghqjap.jpg

86qly04.jpg

6pfimpy.jpg

85zyl1h.jpg

8g6arzb.jpg

7wqdwk3.jpg

8fd0aw7.jpg

6p65v5t.jpg

7wu3n2o.jpg

8558280.jpg

82m8zyo.jpg

8awmqmp.jpg

71evg9y.jpg

715mfr5.jpg

85fux5x.jpg

6khndrr.jpg

6p8wahg.jpg

Rur0ni

Nobody has answered me yet, but is the highlight around the soldiers because of the difficulty? Anything under Delta? Easy/Normal/Hard/Delta

The game seems like a cakewalk if you get all that extra stuff and grenade warnings. Not to mention they won't shoot at you for a good while if you get low health, and only like 2-3 enemies can attack you... Delta doesn't even get crosshairs lol. I can't even imagine playing with them. Would ruin the experience.

Another question, did anyone get massive FPS dip on the carrier with the rain? Fighting that walking giant was tough because I was probably getting under 10 fps, and flying away on the VTOL as it was sinking, massive drop in fps everytime I looked toward it (when I looked at the chick it would get noticely very smooth)

Doc Evils

Rur0ni said:
Nobody has answered me yet, but is the highlight around the soldiers because of the difficulty? Anything under Delta? Easy/Normal/Hard/Delta

yes, easy and normal. You can check you self when you create a new game, it will show you what happens underneath each setting.

Rur0ni said:
Another question, did anyone get massive FPS dip on the carrier with the rain? Fighting that walking giant was tough because I was probably getting under 10 fps, and flying away on the VTOL as it was sinking, massive drop in fps everytime I looked toward it (when I looked at the chick it would get noticely very smooth)

Yes, this also happened with me every few levels. If you quit game and start it again, the level start should be smooth.

like it was mentioned before, I don't think the game handles it's memory properly when loading new content.

Sanjay

help! im stuck, have no idea what to do next. might be a bug. im on the Reckoning level and i have to Locate the Chief Engineer, i am at this place and have no idea what to do now, its a dead end.

Crysis2007-11-2016-08-17-31.jpg

Doc Evils

Borys said:
Man, this reminds me of Ishar 2 so much... there were Snow Mountains in Ishar 2 on the Amiga, you had to kill a giant Rhino there.

just checked that level again and that small patch can't be manipulated by shooting or stepping on it.

played this last night for about 2 hours....simply magical!!! :D

...also, was getting around 35-55fps depending on what I was looking/doing (never dropping below that) with the following rig:

E6600, 2.4ghz
BFG 8800gt 512mb (stock)
WinXP SP2
an ol' Audigy2

...playing at 1440x900, everything defaulted to "High"
No AA...

...really wish I could figure out how to get my Samsung 906CW monitor to run at 1280x800 =/

BeeDog

Figured I'd ask in this topic, since I bet the (hardcore) PC enthusiasts gather here.

Anyway, was thinking about upgrading my PC soon enough, and as of now, this is how it looks:

¤ Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
¤ Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4 GHz
¤ 2 GB of DDR2-1066/PC2-8500 memory, not sure what brand yet
(no change in graphic card right now)

Anyone have any suggestions about this setup? Or is it wise waiting for new types of CPU's now (like 45 nm shizzle, or new AMD/Intel stuff)? Haven't really kept up lately. Thanks in advance for any help.

I should add this. For those playing on high, or atleast with post processing and shaders on high, that havent been following the tweaking brouhaha, go to the console)~ key), type con_restricted 0 and then type r_sunshafts 1. This will enable beams of light streaming through trees/around objects. Usually reserved for dx10 i think, but it doesn't drop the performance much and makes things look a bit more lovely.

Doc Evils

MOAR screens. DOES contain SPOILERS! be warned!

82adz4n.jpg

7wtntlf.jpg

8b7ahc8.jpg

818xh5c.jpg

6yk2000.jpg

80wgpl0.jpg

86gthyg.jpg

6oymnns.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/6jak9ef.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/6qa2srs.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i19.tinypic.com/6juqx3p.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/8c2cgig.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.tinypic.com/6u7amwl.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/6taxdzt.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.tinypic.com/73b62cp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i8.tinypic.com/73pifkw.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i17.tinypic.com/8fjwy2b.jpg[IMG]
[/spoiler]

this game looks even more stunning in motion.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This is easily the best looking game out there. There is an argument for Uncharted, but I think overall this looks better, and in some instances by a good margin.

xemumanic

BeeDog said:
Figured I'd ask in this topic, since I bet the (hardcore) PC enthusiasts gather here.

Anyway, was thinking about upgrading my PC soon enough, and as of now, this is how it looks:

¤ Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
¤ Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4 GHz
¤ 2 GB of DDR2-1066/PC2-8500 memory, not sure what brand yet
(no change in graphic card right now)

Anyone have any suggestions about this setup? Or is it wise waiting for new types of CPU's now (like 45 nm shizzle, or new AMD/Intel stuff)? Haven't really kept up lately. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have that exact motherboard, and I fucking love it. The only thing I'd advise you to check is if your CPU FAN has some feature where it drops the speed of the fan depending on temp. Unfortunately, I forget the name of the option, but you'll notice it when you see it. Your choice of cooling likely doesn't have it, and this option is on by default, but so is the alarm to warn you the fan ISN'T spinning, so whenever it does this, the stupid thing starts beeping. Just do yourself the favor and set the option to disabled.

Other than that, you'll love that board, its freaking awesome, and its cheap. Plus it supports the new 45nm Penryn chips.

BeeDog

Thanks for even more impressions of that board, another plus-vote to the list. :D But the thing is, I want to buy all the stuff in one sweep, so should I actually wait for the new CPU's, whenever they are released?

Those pics are giving me the same feel over and over. I'm really impressed by the jungle environment graphics, and the tornado and stuff, but everything else in the game looks like shit because it's badly designed. The faces, the suits (ESPECIALLY the suits), the enemies, everything looks like realistically-rendered crap to me.

I'm really torn about buying it or not. On the one hand, the demo runs like crap on high settings on my brand new computer and feels too much like Far Cry. On the other hand, I like the jungle. Damn.

xemumanic

BeeDog said:
Thanks for even more impressions of that board, another plus-vote to the list. :D But the thing is, I want to buy all the stuff in one sweep, so should I actually wait for the new CPU's, whenever they are released?

Why bother waiting? That Q6600 will serve you well for now (I went with the dual core E6850 myself). And besides, my reasoning is that the cost of these chips will be up there for a while, and they will cost too much for now. So when then they're worth having, they'll be cheap enough, and upgrading won't require a reinstall of Windows.

This game looks so ridiculously mindblowingly insanely good in motion.

I'm just past the "I'm a marine, son!" part. I'm not even on a top of the line rig (held back by an x1900xt) but I have the details up fairly high (and suffering at about 15-25 fps) just because it looks...SO...SO...good. It really does have a very different look to everything else. Anybody else remember the very first time they saw Doom 3? Where you just couldn't beleive what you were seeing was real....thats what this game is like. Only more.

Also...the game itself is fucking awesome. Something I can't really say about Doom 3. In fact this is one of the most intense, immersive fps's I've ever played. I've still got atleast 1 more level to go, but this, so far, is EASILY the GOTY for me. Not even anything else in the same ballpark.

Those pics are giving me the same feel over and over. I'm really impressed by the jungle environment graphics, and the tornado and stuff, but everything else in the game looks like shit because it's badly designed. The faces, the suits (ESPECIALLY the suits), the enemies, everything looks like realistically-rendered crap to me.

I'm really torn about buying it or not. On the one hand, the demo runs like crap on high settings on my brand new computer and feels too much like Far Cry. On the other hand, I like the jungle. Damn
There are later areas that tax the computer even more than the early ones(though surprisingly not the ones you would expect). If you can't stomach either a)low framerates or b)lower details, you'll be annoyed there. Im curious what you dislike about the suits so much...I think they look absolutely awesome, as does pretty much everything else. It's not like you spend much time looking at the suits anyway, since it's in first person.

BTW, what graphics card do you have.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Jebus, those character models are just insane. It's going to be interesting when we've got hardware that can run this at high resolutions with an acceptable framerate.

BeeDog

WHOAguitarninja said:
This game looks so ridiculously mindblowingly insanely good in motion.

I'm just past the "I'm a marine, son!" part. I'm not even on a top of the line rig (held back by an x1900xt) but I have the details up fairly high (and suffering at about 15-25 fps) just because it looks...SO...SO...good. It really does have a very different look to everything else. Anybody else remember the very first time they saw Doom 3? Where you just couldn't beleive what you were seeing was real....thats what this game is like. Only more.

Also...the game itself is fucking awesome. Something I can't really say about Doom 3. In fact this is one of the most intense, immersive fps's I've ever played. I've still got atleast 1 more level to go, but this, so far, is EASILY the GOTY for me. Not even anything else in the same ballpark.

The map after the above pictures is pretty crap, and the map after that is the ending (it's a bit of a disappointment, but it's still fucking epic, you'll see).

Pics are droolworthy.

NoirYuki said:
Those damned alien/robot things are SOOOOOOO the new Trigens. I think I will refer to them as Trigens from now on.

They're not that bad, imo. You can usually avoid them pretty easy, and they are not particularly effective at killing you, even on the highest difficulty.

Just beat the game. Last level is definitely a step down from the rest, but it's still "good". It's just much more confined and scripted. Did run into a kindof nasty bug that made me back track about 10 minutes.

Question for those of you posting shots...what folder do they show up in? I took a few, but can't find the folder.
EDIT- Nevermind, found them.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I hope some talented people crank out some mods.. unfortunately few artist who can do the engine justice would have the time to create all the art.

Still... if Crytek releases an expansion pack with same environment and just more story telling, I am there.

dark10x

Yes, this truly is the best looking game ever released. The fact that it does everything so well on such a grand scale never ceases to impress.

Wow, no other game looks like that, no single other game.
Oh really?

It's a joke, of course

comp.png

Top Bottom