• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Haunted

Cel-shaded looks bad, like a cheap photoshop filter.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Speed Demos Archive just posted their first Crysis speedrun.

It's ridiculous and worth a watch for anyone who enjoys speedruns or likes to see how fucking broken this engine is. :lol
what

Did he just complete the first couple hours of the game in 5 minutes? :lol

That flying glitch is a bit much.

I know, I was expecting him to just abuse the fuck out of stealth/sprint, not fly. :lol

I prefer to watch speedruns where they skillfully go through the game quickly, but I respect people who can break a game so badly. I love how the radio messages just can't keep up with him.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
Thanks. I haven't watched the video yet, but I tried a bit of Crysis yesterday with a new 1GB 5850. It could only manage 35ish FPS stable with some settings on high and no AA besides edge AA, but I felt like some of the suit powers made more sense, specifically maximum speed making your NORMAL walking speed faster. That, plus going prone and hiding half the time, helped things be a little easier.
Are you playing at a really high resolution or something? My 512MB 4850 could produce playable frame rates (felt around the 30 mark most of the time) through-out the entirety of the game (even the ending level) with everything set to 'very high' at 768p. No AA, of course, as that doesn't work in DX10 mode (and even if it did it wouldn't work with the flora), but edge smoothing was enough to make the aliasing bearable.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
Are you playing at a really high resolution or something? My 512MB 4850 could produce playable frame rates (felt around the 30 mark most of the time) through-out the entirety of the game (even the ending level) with everything set to 'very high' at 768p. No AA, of course, as that doesn't work in DX10 mode (and even if it did it wouldn't work with the flora), but edge smoothing was enough to make the aliasing bearable.
I started at 1680x1050, and I think I switched down to 1280x720 windowed. I have a 3 GHz e8400 though -- you might have something better. I'm not sure I also tried dx9 mode very much so far.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
I started at 1680x1050, and I think I switched down to 1280x720 windowed. I have a 3 GHz e8400 though -- you might have something better. I'm not sure I also tried dx9 mode very much so far.
Nope, I have exactly the same processor as you, running at stock clock speed as well (I really should look into overclocking the thing, though; it's meant to be one of the best chips for it). I stuck with DX10 all the way. Speaking from my own experience, I would have expected you to be able to 'very high' everything for ~30fps if you're playing at 1680x1050 with your card. Though I could be entirely under-estimating the difference between your and my resolutions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
Use a custom config if you aren't. Helps a bunch.

HP 1.3.1 or mster is what I use.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Use a custom config if you aren't. Helps a bunch.

HP 1.3.1 or mster is what I use.
But then people like Stallion Free yell at you and tell you it looks horrible! ;_;

At any rate, maybe I ended up with a bad card or something. I don't see weird colors or bad pixels as far as I know, but things sure are dark sometimes, and I feel like my performance doesn't match up with what other people say.

And that flying glitch, how do you even discover something like that?! :lol

UrbanRats

Crysis first timer here, got some questions:

1) What ToD/config should i get for graphics improvement?

2) How can i set the 3rd/ over the shoulder camera in singleplayer mode? (can i?)

3) Any particular mod i should look into? (aside custom maps etc, i'm talking about general graphic/gameplay improvements)

Thaaaaaanks. :D

squinters

astigmatic
Blizzard said:
But then people like Stallion Free yell at you and tell you it looks horrible! ;_;

At any rate, maybe I ended up with a bad card or something. I don't see weird colors or bad pixels as far as I know, but things sure are dark sometimes, and I feel like my performance doesn't match up with what other people say.

And that flying glitch, how do you even discover something like that?! :lol
I'm gonna say that you did end up with a bad card. I have a 1GB 5850 as well, and I've been playing through Crysis at the highest settings with 8xAA at 1920 x 1080p and getting a pretty smooth 30 fps (at least I assume, I haven't actually checked the framerate). You should definately be getting something better than 30fps at 720p though, so I think your card's faulty.

Blizzard

Banned
squinters said:
I'm gonna say that you did end up with a bad card. I have a 1GB 5850 as well, and I've been playing through Crysis at the highest settings with 8xAA at 1920 x 1080p and getting a pretty smooth 30 fps (at least I assume, I haven't actually checked the framerate). You should definately be getting something better than 30fps at 720p though, so I think your card's faulty.
Ugh, well it's quite a bit late to try to request another one now, and I paid a lot for it. :/ Did you overclock your card at all (or get an overclocked one), and what CPU are you using? You might want to check your framerate too...8xAA with high resolution Crysis just sounds crazy, but good it's working for you.

woot Bump.

So I am trying to basically connect my 5870 set up woth my TV(720p). Now in preparation I tried out crysis at 720p on my computer and I am getting the same fps I would get with 1080p? WTF! is this normal?

I was so hyped to see crysis on my tv at 60fps too :(

Kabuki Waq said:
woot Bump.

So I am trying to basically connect my 5870 set up woth my TV(720p). Now in preparation I tried out crysis at 720p on my computer and I am getting the same fps I would get with 1080p? WTF! is this normal?

I was so hyped to see crysis on my tv at 60fps too :(

Yup...at lower resolutions, the framerate increase isn't that much since it'll be your processor doing more work. I wouldn't hook it up to such a low res TV if I were you..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gully State said:
Yup...at lower resolutions, the framerate increase isn't that much since it'll be your processor doing more work. I wouldn't hook it up to such a low res TV if I were you..
Psh. On the bright side you can turn up settings and have the same FPS.

Binabik15

Crysis doesn´t work for me on 64-bit Windows 7.

The game starts, but often the screen (menus, logos) are only in one corner of the screen, the rest being blank . Alt+Enter or Alt+Tabbing sometimes helps, BUT I can´t use the mouse in the menu screen. It moves the cursor, but the clicks don´t register. It was like this on my brother´s pc sometimes as well, runnig on vista, but alt+tabbing out and back helped. Here, it doesn´t.

Some ancient google results talked about setting the 64 bit .exe at Vista Service Pack 2 compatibility mode and running as an admin. I´ve set it up like that, but it still won´t work.

Re-installing doens´t help, either, I´ve done it three times already. Neither does installing the 1.2 patch.

I´m pretty sad that I can´t run Crysis now that my pc is hooked up to my tv and I´m on my comfy couch, with my cat sleeping on my lap ;_;

I could try Warhead (boo!), but I can´t find the case right now (boooo!).

Binabik15 said:
Crysis doesn´t work for me on 64-bit Windows 7.

The game starts, but often the screen (menus, logos) are only in one corner of the screen, the rest being blank . Alt+Enter or Alt+Tabbing sometimes helps, BUT I can´t use the mouse in the menu screen. It moves the cursor, but the clicks don´t register. It was like this on my brother´s pc sometimes as well, runnig on vista, but alt+tabbing out and back helped. Here, it doesn´t.

Some ancient google results talked about setting the 64 bit .exe at Vista Service Pack 2 compatibility mode and running as an admin. I´ve set it up like that, but it still won´t work.

Re-installing doens´t help, either, I´ve done it three times already. Neither does installing the 1.2 patch.

I´m pretty sad that I can´t run Crysis now that my pc is hooked up to my tv and I´m on my comfy couch, with my cat sleeping on my lap ;_;

I could try Warhead (boo!), but I can´t find the case right now (boooo!).
I had the same problem.

Close the dwm process in task manager --> processes, this resolved it for me.

Binabik15

L0st Id3ntity said:
I had the same problem.

Close the dwm process in task manager --> processes, this resolved it for me.

Cool, I´ll give it a try.

Edit: Nope, now I can click on things by holding the mouse cursor to the right and far below what I want to click, meaning that I can select the difficulty, but not click "start game" :lol Existing Crysis just now gave me a totally black screen and a pc not responding to ctrl+alt+del, alt+enter, alt+tab, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I want to shoot some devs...

Binabik15

Great, it was because I had my screen at 150% to be able to read AT ALL. Now I can play Crysis, but hardly read anything in Windows.

Solution?

PS: Any tipps what settings I should use for the Catalyst profile for Crysis? I have a i5 750 and a Radeon 5850 that´s as OC as the standard settings allow it (so hardly :lol) and I want to play on a 1080p screen.

PPS: Intro vid looks hooooooorible, is it set at 240p or what?

PPPS: Ah, now the in-engine stuff is starting and I´m all ":D "

Time to shut down my laptop and kick some commie ass. Delta 4 life.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Binabik15 said:
Cool, I´ll give it a try.

Edit: Nope, now I can click on things by holding the mouse cursor to the right and far below what I want to click, meaning that I can select the difficulty, but not click "start game" :lol Existing Crysis just now gave me a totally black screen and a pc not responding to ctrl+alt+del, alt+enter, alt+tab, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I want to shoot some devs...
Try running in directx 9 mode.
1.Go to your steam games page.
2. Right click Crysis Warhead or Crysis Wars
3. Click "Set Launch Options"
4. In the box type in "-dx9"

You'll lose some effects but you might be able to play.

Binabik15

As I said changing my desktop back from 150% to 100% zoom stopped Crysis from acting weird, but also makes everything else incredible hard to read from my position on the couch :lol

Already played and rescued the sexy Asian schoolgirl spy being held in the school. Took a tank round to the face and took it as a sign to stop for the day. I was smiling the whole time, 1080p Crysis at Very High at over 30 fps 99% of the time (50 in buildings!) is pure bliss. Feels like god licking your face or something. Nah, replace "god" with "Jessica Alba". No AA on at the moment, but there´s hardly any aliasing.

I played it on 640p and everything low on my brother´s pc last year and it was still around the 20 fps mark :lol Now I noticed for the first time ever that you´re faster than normal with speed mode even without sprinting. And speed sprinting is FAST if the game doesn´t crawl along at 20 frames per second, holy shit :lol

PS: I still hate the fucking patrol boats and their all-seeing, cheating, sharpshooter AI on Delta D:

PPS: After dying the framerate drops to 12-15 for thirty seconds or so, any config tweaks to stop that?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I had an urge to replay a few levels, ran through the level before Onslaught, then Onslaught itself.

Using HP 1.3.1 and that Xtreme Particle mod. All those sparks are glorious and for some reason my FPS doesn't really dip.

This game is so good. Playing on Delta of course.

DSN2K

so I purchased Crysis this evening on Steam! about 3 years LATE I know but Ive had a PC not even able to install the game till last month.

Im amazed at how demanding this game is, I have 5770, tri core Athlon and I cant a keep 30fps at 720p/Very High....I mean WTF I thought modern PC's could handle this game now with ease :lol :lol

to be honest I haven't been too impressed game play wise for the first 30mins or so, a lot of walking, not much action!

Rubenov

DSN2K said:
so I purchased Crysis this evening on Steam! about 3 years LATE I know but Ive had a PC not even able to install the game till last month.

Im amazed at how demanding this game is, I have 5770, tri core Athlon and I cant a keep 30fps at 720p/Very High....I mean WTF I thought modern PC's could handle this game now with ease :lol :lol

to be honest I haven't been too impressed game play wise for the first 30mins or so, a lot of walking, not much action!

There is a reason this game is still used as a benchmark for new graphic cards. Also, give the game a chance... it's freaking awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DSN2K said:

Crysis is more open ended. Warhead is a tighter more actiony experience.
It does pick up though.

Also:
Install a custom config / .ini (Mster / HP 1.3.1 / etc.)
Play on Delta
Silencers and distance reduce damage
Mark your targets
Change between modes on the fly
as fun as you make it, etc, etc.

Alright, been dicking around for an hour or so trying to figure out what the hell is going on here. I've played this part before so I think I know what is supposed to happen but something wasn't trigger properly and I'm stuck. I'm at the end of Recovery and I am supposed to go up river to a cave. Well the cave is blocked off and there is nothing I can do. I reloaded a earlier save, played the entire section again and still blocked off cave and Prophet(?) never meets up with me. What the hell am I supposed to do? Why does Crysis hate me?

The level glitches sometimes if you dont go to the hill that overlooks that town and gather the intel first. The intel will tell you that the girl is in the school, then you go there and find her. Look around for how to enable noclip in crysis then you can noclip into the cave, but not too far, then turn off noclip before you are far enough into the cave to trigger the next level. Either that or you will have to replay the level.

You pretty much did the whole level so if you have a save for the beginning of the next level you can just use that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone post a general screen from the first level without MLAA and with MLAA?

I'm wondering the effect on foliage.

1920x1080 no resize / native resolution would be nice.

Hazaro said:
Can anyone post a general screen from the first level without MLAA and with MLAA?

I'm wondering the effect on foliage.

1920x1080 no resize / native resolution would be nice.

I tried but the effect isn't showing up in screenshots for me. I know MLAA was on because the tell tale rounded UI elements were obvious but looking at the screenshots the effect disappears.

No AA

MLAA

I took this shot to make sure I wasn't crazy:

That was with MLAA enabled. The actual image didn't look like this. The text was all rounded.

Is there something I should be doing to capture the effect in screenshots?

JADS

Felix Lighter said:
I tried but the effect isn't showing up in screenshots for me. I know MLAA was on because the tell tale rounded UI elements were obvious but looking at the screenshots the effect disappears.

MLAA is a post processing filter so it wont show up in screenshots. Either use RadeonPro to take screenshots (Enable MLAA support for screenshots) or use the Windows Sniping tool. Alternatively MLAA also works in Windows Photoviewer and there is a CLI tool floating around that lets you convert .png files to MLAA'ed .png files.

Edit: You should turn off edge detect in your crysis config if you haven't done that, gives a far better effect when using MLAA :)

From the MLAA topic:

No AA or Edge Detect
NoMLAANoEdgeNoMSAA.jpg

MLAA
YesMLAANoEdgeNoMSAA.jpg

Performance is around 4xMSAA for me, but it highly depends on the scene.

Zozobra

Super late to the party here. I wasn't really feeling this game when I bought it on Steam a while back, but I tried it out again the other day and I am having a blast! I think it was a matter of figuring out how the suit works and how necessary it is (at least for me) to be switching modes often as the situation requires.

Is there a way to do a one-hit melee kill or something? I sneak up behind guys but then it takes 2-3 swings of my weapon to take them out.

Zozobra said:
Super late to the party here. I wasn't really feeling this game when I bought it on Steam a while back, but I tried it out again the other day and I am having a blast! I think it was a matter of figuring out how the suit works and how necessary it is (at least for me) to be switching modes often as the situation requires.

Is there a way to do a one-hit melee kill or something? I sneak up behind guys but then it takes 2-3 swings of my weapon to take them out.

I think melee attacks kill in one hit when maximum strength mode is activated.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
darkpaladinmfc said:
Does MLAA look better than EdgeAA?
EdgeAA blurs the image too much imo, while still missing a large chunk of aliased surfaces. I imagine MLAA is quite a bit superior.

Dennis

Banned
Nothing less than SuperSampling AA for my next playthrough will do.

Incidently I agree with BobsRevenge on EdgeAA. I never use it. I have always used MSAA.

Top Bottom