• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

DieH@rd

Banned
Revolutionary said:
One 6970 @ 1680x1050. It has it's drops when there's an insane amount of stuff going on but it's hovering around 45 for the most part.

"Insane amount of stuff" can hammer CPU pretty hard.

Apath

I just bought Crysis + Warhead a couple of days ago during the Steam sale. Now I really want to get the game to look like those bullshots pre-release that were going around. I've tried Real Lifesis, but after installing it I do not think it's working -- everything looks the same to me. Any suggestions on configuration and essential mods?

I'm running on a Radeon 5550 1GB + i7 930 2.8ghz (might be at 2.66 right now) + 6GB DDR3

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DieH@rd said:
Radeon 5550 is really really really low preforming graphic card. You might wanna consider upgrading.
Yeah, I have a 5850 that overclocked to 5870 speeds and I still have to run it at 720p when the mods are on to keep it playable when the action heats up.

My favorite config download was the Mster Config. It changed lighting for all the levels in the game and made it look better, at least in my opinion. The colours become a lot deeper, and there is much more of a red tone to the game than the pale blue look that is so pervasive throughout. Just jived better with me.

Other very popular graphical configs that are widely used are Helder Pintos ([HP]) and Cuban's Custom Config (CCC). Check out screenshots of each one and see which you prefer. I personally recommend the Mster config but it's all about choices!

REV 09

just finished Crysis after buying it a few days back from the steam sale. I couldn't put it down until it was over; however, the game part of it is only good, not great. I enjoyed it and there was definitely less dudebro than i thought, but there was also a little bit more "tech demo" than i expected. Parts of it didn't feel fleshed out from a gameplay perspective. I thought that the enemy design was the achilles heel of the game. They just aren't that fun to fight, regardless of how badass you can be. The game is stunning visually. The voice acting was sufficient; music was average. I liked it more than the Far Cry games though. the
core
section sucked...it should have been much cooler and has been done much better in other games. now onto Warhead.

4/5

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You really think so? I think it's really fun to mix your powers with the terrain to come up with inventive scenarios. The AI is fine, I think, and I like the encounters. I haven't seen a game with this type of design yet, really. It might just be because of the luxury of the power they had at their disposal or it could just be that Crytek is really good. I'm not sure. They just seem so well choreographed despite being so open. They talk about the "choreographed sandbox" in Crysis 2, but that perfectly describes Crysis 1 (that makes me feel like they're going to clamp down a bit for 2 now that they're talking about it like this novel concept).

Leaving the dome, for example, was surprising in how tight it felt. I died a bunch of times so I tried it a different way each time. Each time the game encouraged me to try something different until I eventually got it, but at no point did I feel like I was "cheating" to survive like I did in Stalker or Fallout (clipping around environmental barriers, running as fast as I could away from overpowered enemies, that kind of thing).

Once the Koreans get the Nanosuits, I think they become a lot more interesting as well.

Far Cry is terrible though, that's for sure. I like Far Cry 2 a lot.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Y2Kev said:
Far Cry is terrible though, that's for sure. I like Far Cry 2 a lot.
Far Cry was fantastic up to the tridgens. It would have been amazing if they hadn't wanted to fuck you so badly with the difficulty/left out the tridgens all together.

Y2Kev

I hated it. People usually exaggerate complaints about everything, but I thought all of the nitpicky complaints about the game (enemies can see you from 500 miles away and never lose sight of you afterwards) all were really true. I remember just feeling so helpless.

I think Crysis is so much cooler. I'm in the woods at night playing cat and mouse with these Korean patrols and all I can see sometimes is the (fantastic looking) flashlight glares here and there...they feel human and not robot. In turn, I feel hunted and it really heightens the tension for me.

But I did like hang gliding in far cry. Pretty game. I liked Doom 3 better.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Y2Kev said:
I hated it. People usually exaggerate complaints about everything, but I thought all of the nitpicky complaints about the game (enemies can see you from 500 miles away and never lose sight of you afterwards) all were really true. I remember just feeling so helpless.

I think Crysis is so much cooler. I'm in the woods at night playing cat and mouse with these Korean patrols and all I can see sometimes is the (fantastic looking) flashlight glares here and there...they feel human and not robot. In turn, I feel hunted and it really heightens the tension for me.

I liked Doom 3 a lot more too (it was incredible with the PC co-op mod) and Half-Life 2 even more, but there was something magnificent about creeping around the islands, marking everyone/sniping like crazy.

Y2Kev

Co-op mod? I have never heard of that.

I remember building a PC for that game (my last PC), but my friends were so impressed even with the Xbox port. That was SUCH a good port.

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
AHHHHHH this game is fucking awesome!!!

I am playing it for the first time now and it is INCREDIBLE. First of all you have the graphics, which shit on everything from great height, including great height. Then you have the sound, which is also incredible. And the music too. The weapons, of course, are fantastic. The shotgun is like BOOOM BITCH BOOOM every time you use it and the grenades feel awesome. The suit powers are all very cool and useful. You feel heavy when you play the game. Unless you feel fast, and then you feel light. But damn if you don't ever feel powerful as motherlivingcrap.

I just played to the part where
Prophet gets abducted
and the fight in the woods against the Korean patrol was AWESOME. I felt like I was being hunted. But it was okay, because I'm badass with my shotgun going BOOOOOOOM.

I love how you have so much freedom to explore and look around this pretty world for stuff to do.

I don't know how anyone can ever go back to boring corridor runners churned out like sausage in a factory after this modern marvel. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Another believer, like 99% of people who've actually played the game. We welcome you to 2007 the fold. :D

It really is an incredible achievement.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Y2Kev said:
Co-op mod? I have never heard of that.

I remember building a PC for that game (my last PC), but my friends were so impressed even with the Xbox port. That was SUCH a good port.
My friend and I used Opencoop, IIRC it even saved our loadouts between levels which was nice.

markao

Y2Kev said:
You really think so? I think it's really fun to mix your powers with the terrain to come up with inventive scenarios. The AI is fine, I think, and I like the encounters. I haven't seen a game with this type of design yet, really. It might just be because of the luxury of the power they had at their disposal or it could just be that Crytek is really good. I'm not sure. They just seem so well choreographed despite being so open. They talk about the "choreographed sandbox" in Crysis 2, but that perfectly describes Crysis 1 (that makes me feel like they're going to clamp down a bit for 2 now that they're talking about it like this novel concept).
You have to play Warhead first before you might understand my comment, but they want Crysis 2 to sit in between Crysis and Warhead. So yes clamping down compared to Crysis, but hopefully not as much as in Warhead and if that's not just PR and they actually achieve it, I could live with it, but have to see that first before believing it ;)

Wallach

Y2Kev said:

They were true. Fuck that game. *menonfilm.jpg*

What difficulty did you wind up playing Crysis on anyway?

Y2Kev

Wallach said:
They were true. Fuck that game. *menonfilm.jpg*

What difficulty did you wind up playing Crysis on anyway?
I'm just on normal. I'm not very good with the keyboard and mouse really. This is the first time I've used it to play a shooter since HL2. I am getting better, though, given that STALKER requires so many more keybindings. I still can't run the stupid tunnel with that anomaly like in the beginning of stalker :lol

Stalker is really interesting though. I'm glad I bought that and Company of Heroes. And Crysis, of course, but Crysis feels like a MAXIMUM POWER version of a console game (or maybe not, I know Far Cry 2 came out way after Crysis but I did play FC2 on console). The other two look pretty uniquely PC.

Wallach

Y2Kev said:
I'm just on normal. I'm not very good with the keyboard and mouse really. This is the first time I've used it to play a shooter since HL2. I am getting better, though, given that STALKER requires so many more keybindings. I still can't run the stupid tunnel with that anomaly like in the beginning of stalker :lol

Stalker is really interesting though. I'm glad I bought that and Company of Heroes. And Crysis, of course, but Crysis feels like a MAXIMUM POWER version of a console game (or maybe not, I know Far Cry 2 came out way after Crysis but I did play FC2 on console). The other two look pretty uniquely PC.

Sounds like you're doing fine. I only ask because I've been replaying Crysis myself recently (started back when AgentOtaku made the replay thread a month or so ago) and instead of playing on Delta I played on Normal and found it wasn't what I was expecting at all. In a couple ways Normal almost felt harder. The AI does respond a bit differently on Delta though and in some cases (especially the escape to evac point from the dome level) it really makes for a powerful stealth experience.

What level are you up to now?

Y2Kev

I think it's Assault? I'm taking out AA guns in the harbor. I guess it's like 5 or 6 hours in based on my steam clock. The sound here in particular is really incredible.

I like the night stuff because I enjoy stealth (and it looks so damn good with the way the light hits the foliage in the dark), but I am looking forward to day again. I can't see sometimes!

Wallach

Y2Kev said:
I think it's Assault? I'm taking out AA guns in the harbor. I guess it's like 5 or 6 hours in based on my steam clock. The sound here in particular is really incredible.

I like the night stuff because I enjoy stealth (and it looks so damn good with the way the light hits the foliage in the dark), but I am looking forward to day again. I can't see sometimes!

Yeah, that is Assault. I think dawn breaks towards the end of that level.

Those are impressive sales numbers, but it will pale in comparison to the numbers that they get when they allow Crytek UK to make a new Timesplitters on the CryEngine.

... Please?

Ydahs

So my Steam copy will (finally) finish downloading overnight (I hope). Any essential mods to install or should I play it in its original state?

I have a GTX 260 (not overclocked), Intel quad core 2.6GHz(?) cpu and 4GB of RAM. Will that be able to handle it at medium to high setting with steady framerates (~30-45) at 1440x900? Or will sacrifices have to be made?

A shame I had to move my TV to another room, because I would have loved to play this at 720p on my shiny new LCD :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Ydahs said:
So my Steam copy will (finally) finish downloading overnight (I hope). Any essential mods to install or should I play it in its original state?

I have a GTX 260 (not overclocked), Intel quad core 2.6GHz(?) cpu and 4GB of RAM. Will that be able to handle it at medium to high setting with steady framerates (~30-45) at 1440x900? Or will sacrifices have to be made?

A shame I had to move my TV to another room, because I would have loved to play this at 720p on my shiny new LCD :(

It will run OK.

Birbo

So I picked this up during the Steam sale, but it doesn't recognize my controller (I'm a KB/M spaz). I'm using an original Xbox Controller S and haven't had any issues with other games. Any help would be appreciated.

I can't help you with your problem but I would strongly suggest trying to play with KB/M. I used my 360 pad to play the game for a bit when I hooked it up on my TV and it played like shit.

Double D

Ok, bought Warhead on Steam. Figured out how to launch the 64 bit version and was enjoying myself, playing at reasonably high settings.
Installed CCC 3.0 for Warhead. No matter what configuration I select (or how I launch it), I get a black screen. I can hear the sound, but nothing is on the screen. Can't figure out how to uninstall CCC or make this work somehow. Help!

Vik_Vaughn said:
Ok, bought Warhead on Steam. Figured out how to launch the 64 bit version and was enjoying myself, playing at reasonably high settings.
Installed CCC 3.0 for Warhead. No matter what configuration I select (or how I launch it), I get a black screen. I can hear the sound, but nothing is on the screen. Can't figure out how to uninstall CCC or make this work somehow. Help!
Alt+enter to go windowed, if that fixes it, then just go back to fullscreen and it'll work.

Ydahs

DieH@rd said:
I also recommend that you try some custom configs for better visuals and performance.
Any config you like personally?

I think I'll play the game without any texture packs first. Experience it the way it's meant to be experienced :D

Birbo

Foliorum Viridum said:
I can't help you with your problem but I would strongly suggest trying to play with KB/M. I used my 360 pad to play the game for a bit when I hooked it up on my TV and it played like shit.

No matter how I try, I just cannot play KB/M. Aiming & shooting with the mouse is fine but the whole WASD movement is lost on me.

Double D

Birbo said:
No matter how I try, I just cannot play KB/M. Aiming & shooting with the mouse is fine but the whole WASD movement is lost on me.

I usually prefer gamepads, but KB/M is greatly superior in this game, and I'm using a wired 360 pad. I finally had to give up the 360 pad for good when I got to the driving sections. Went from horribly frustrating to glorious.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'd definitely try to learn KBM well for Crysis. You lose quite a bit of functionality with the controller.

Double D

BobsRevenge said:
I'd definitely try to learn KBM well for Crysis. You lose quite a bit of functionality with the controller.

Also true. I found myself zooming and such with the mouse when I was still playing with the controller.

Birbo said:
Try the arrows for movement, right ctrl for duck, right shift for jump, enter for use, delete for reload, numpad 0 for run, backspace to drop weapon, pagedown for grenades and whatever else you find easy to reach.

I've been doing PC gaming for over a decade and I've always used this for FPS. I cannot use WASD to save my life. Many people would say this is a retarded way, but I'm very competitive in all FPS games I play online, so there's no real difference. You might find it works for you!

Top Bottom