• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Can someone point me in the direction of graphics mods for Crysis? Isn't there one which makes DX9 look like DX10 and gives better performance?

I'm extremely LTTP and just finished playing this. It surpassed all of my expectations. Naturally it looked just as stunning as I hoped it would, but actual gameplay was much more satisfying than I expected and I'm sure I'll be going back to it soon just to experiment. I loved how much variety there was - sometimes I cloacked and sneaked through the long grass picking guys off with headshots, and others I went charging in like a nutter and punched jeeps into unsuspecting Koreans. :lol The destructability of the environments was what lead to most of my fun - a sneak grenade in a watch tower from afar is always great to watch. There are dozens of moments I could easily bore you with, but I'm sure everyone who's played this game has similar ones so I shan't waste my time.

I was expecting the alien section to drop in quality a lot, as I had heard many negative opinions on it, but I was surprised by how they changed the focus of the game that really contrasted the first half. If I had to fight them in the jungle the same way I did the guards I could see it being boring and frustrating, but the action sequences were really exciting. I realise they were basically all protecting something, but the onslaught felt real and it was great fun plucking them out of the sky. Besides, once the aliens surface you have, what, an hour and a half left in the game max? They kept it short and sweet.

The end sequence was a bit anti-climatic, though, I must admit. It was odd for so much narrative to appear that late in the game and after the lush jungle I found crawling through corridors to be quite dull. Ditto with the last boss.

Definitely somewhere near the top of my favourite FPS games, I think. I'll be moving on to Warhead shortly which shall be interesting - I hope that I don't tire of fighting aliens in it as I fear they will be my only enemies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Next time when you replay Crysis, instal CCC patch for more impressive TOD visuals [dawn @ harbour attack is stunning!] and AI.

NIGHT- said:
Looking to buy Crysis. Would I be better off getting the steam version or retail. Do both have the DRM issues?

Crysis retail has a normal disc check, Steam has install limit DRM (5 i think) with no way of redeeming them.

Warhead has 5 install limit DRM on every copy, retail or digital afaik.

NIGHT- said:
So I would be better off getting the disc version of Crysis and either version of Warhead?

Man that's kinda lame =[

Well i own both on Steam, and i kinda wished i stuck with retail (to avoid original Crysis DRM, and the sometimes flakey menus problem Warhead has with Steam). Id go for the Maximum Edition if you can =]

NIGHT-

Ogs said:
Well i own both on Steam, and i kinda wished i stuck with retail (to avoid original Crysis DRM, and the sometimes flakey menus problem Warhead has with Steam). Id go for the Maximum Edition if you can =]

Thanks for the advice.

Just finished Warhead now (yes, I'm making the most of my new PC and I'm ill, so that's my excuse for the 24 hour Crysis binge. :lol )

In a lot of ways I thought it improved on Crysis, as the battles were bigger and much more intense, and the narrative was surprisingly well paced and entertaining. It lacked the exploration element that Crysis was so good at though, I felt, which is understandable for a 6 hour expansion but as a result I don't think I can really rate it above the original.

I am so ridiculously hyped for the sequel now you wouldn't believe. I'm so glad I won't have to get it on 360/PS3 as I originally planned. :D

-SD-

Banned
Yet another mind-blowing custom level O_O

Source: http://madmaximus83.deviantart.com/gallery/?25304347#Videogame-Environments-Realtime-3D

Crysis - Game Environment by MadMaximus83

Some screenshots of my actual video game environment project. I will upload more screenshots and an ingame trailer within a few weeks. I used cryengine2 to realize this fantasy scenario and hope to finish it very soon. I will also post more information when it's done. Hope you like the first screens ;-)

Dynoro

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
o_O, woww.
Its avery huge disappointment for us gamers that Cryengine 2 wasn't licensed that much.

If I had the skill, time and patience Id create my own RPG game on Cryengine 2. Id definitely create minas tirith from Lotr, that would be epic.
There was (a fair old while ago) a modder than pulled the assets from Oblivion and stuck them in Cryengine and it looked amazing with the improves lights and environment - made me really want a Cryengine RPG at that point.

Ahh - here's a vid of it in the early stages: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/oblivion-to-crysis-mod/202680

I think in general, there's a lot to be explored here.

Now that hardware is affordable to run this game, I think it still has a lot of room left for the modding community and other applications. It just looks incredible. That DoF video a page back is mind blowing.

Makes me want to get into modding/level design. I heard some mods have even successfully gotten VTOL aircraft working properly?

The possibilities are endless.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Randy said:
Makes me sad that this engine was used for a game with generic art style like Crysis. Especially after seeing those amazing screens.
Explain to me how anything from the second half of Crysis is "generic art style" because I'm doubting that you have ever even played the game at the moment.

Dynoro

Randy said:
Makes me sad that this engine was used for a game with generic art style like Crysis. Especially after seeing those amazing screens.
Given the zero gravity sections of Crysis
on board the alien craft
and the second half that follows it; calling the Crysis artstyle generic is a little odd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:
Explain to me how anything from the second half of Crysis is "generic art style" because I'm doubting that you have ever even played the game at the moment.

Meh, I somewhat agree with him. Crysis' environments got stale and icing everything over didnt really impress me that much. I would have loved if the engine was used for some of the more creative stuff we're seeing now thanks to mods.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games

-SD-

Banned
20 more pics added: http://madmaximus83.deviantart.com/gallery/?25304347#Videogame-Environments-Realtime-3D

crysis___game_environm4q72.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
That is an impressive amount of work. It would be cool if it is released for people to play around with!

This is also another benefit of the UDK 3.5 (or at least the UDK with UE3.5) being released for free in my opinion...with Unity and the UDK free, Crytek was apparently finally motivated to release a similar free development package with/after the upcoming new engine release. That is, if my memory serves me right. So who knows what we might see in the future...

Dennis

Banned
Look at this below and tell me "graphics are good enough now".

How can you not be excited for the day an open-world RPG like Oblivion or Risen will look like that!

Blizzard

Banned
I finally installed Crysis after all these years. I can play some parts in 720p on my 512MB 4850, and get 20-30 fps. I turned everything off in CCC, and I turned the AA off ingame, but I still have flickery tree/leaf edges. Is there any good way to fix that?

I also am not too impressed overall. :( I like good graphics but I guess I feel these aren't so great? Maybe I'm numbed to seeing lots of Crysis screenshots posted. There are iffy models, low-res textures, and so forth, but I suppose those are in all games.

My main problem is the gameplay. Like in Warhead, I feel like I'm totally not understanding some basic gameplay component. The first hour or two of the game have consisted of me being invisible, being told to keep a low profile, and sneak everywhere...while I have a suit that can only keep me invisible for maybe 10-20 second sneak sessions. Then I have to hide behind a rock, recharge the suit, and repeat. I don't mind sneaking, but the recharges get tedious. And then if I automatically or manually switch to armor mode, any bullet hitting me means my energy is empty and I can't use any other suit powers. If I get in the open near 2-3+ guys, then I die in a couple of seconds (even with armor mode on?). If I'm spotted in the wrong part of the game, then lots MORE enemies start coming in. I'm also afraid to try to kill everyone since I don't know if they respawn infinitely in this game.

And this is all on normal difficulty, I think... :/ I feel like enemies are staring straight at me while I'm invisible sometimes too, which is weird. And I am almost POSITIVE the sprinting power gives you literally two seconds of sprinting. If you're good at the game I guess you could do something with it, but really, what are you going to do with two seconds of sprinting leaving you with an empty energy tank? You can shotgun people in the chest if you're a quick enough shot, but you won't have energy left to cloak/strength jump/etc. I tried throwing a couple of people but the button to grab people (F?) seemed to not work some of the time so I guess I was doing that wrong too? :lol Night vision doesn't seem very useful in the day (no shock there) since the binoculars show enemies much better, at least in normal mode. I'm not sure what the point of laser sights or silenced weaponry is since enemies seem to tend to know where you are if you shoot one of them, and if you're using a silencer it means you may need to use more bullets to kill them.

Why did sometimes the main character stay crouched? I had to use jump to stand up or something, and I think sometimes he still crouched? Is that a cover system of sorts?

I haven't tried the sleeper darts yet. Oh, and one other thing I didn't like was the objective system. They kept telling me to go to some spot on the map, and then five minutes later it would get moved back when I would get close. I guess that was their game design choice, but it still was kind of frustrating to play like an hour and rarely reach your objectives because they keep changing. :lol

I am sorry if this seems like ignorant whining, but please teach me how to do it right if I'm just missing something. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Uhh... aim better? :lol

I'm trying to find that one video of a guy playing 'correctly' but can't right now.

I mean play so you have fun. If steathing is not working out try ramming a car into their base, sprinting away, then shooting the gas tank, or jumping on roofs and strength melee the roof down then spray everyone inside.

Sprint + prone -> cloak is much faster and you can get away with it since they'll only search the last position you were in.

Laser sights cause the first bullet to go to the red dot every time which works well with the silencer since you'll want headshots.

I also usually have all my weapons on single shot because burst is inaccurate.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Uhh... aim better? :lol

I'm trying to find that one video of a guy playing 'correctly' but can't right now.

I mean play so you have fun. If steathing is not working out try ramming a car into their base, sprinting away, then shooting the gas tank, or jumping on roofs and strength melee the roof down then spray everyone inside.

Sprint + prone -> cloak is much faster and you can get away with it since they'll only search the last position you were in.
Aiming better doesn't help if there are 3+ guys around, and most of the time the guys are outside, not inside buildings. :p I also don't have any long-distance weapons, only a pistol, a shotgun, or a (sub?)machine gun. I haven't been able to find any non-stealth methods that usually work, but maybe I should try to kill more people so I pick up more weapons and greandes.

There's a prone button? I didn't even know. :lol Also, if you sprint you only have two seconds, meaning you will have no energy for cloaking unless you can remain prone and unseen for a few seconds.

Thanks for the info about laser sights. Do they make people notice you?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:lol the SMG (50 ammo) is like a super sniper with the laser dot since it has so much ammo.

When you have the jump on people use strength mode to reduce recoil and steady your aim (uses around 5 energy per shot I think).

And if you haven't been picking up the assault rifles (FY-71 or SCAR) then you should probably do that too.

The shotgun is a great weapon you just sprint -> jump and shoot them in the face while you sail 10 feet beyond them :D

*Laser doesn't make them notice, but flashlight will.
**Binoculars are used to mark targets on your radar so they stay on it.
***Are you having trouble with any level or is it just not as fun?

Kevin

What anti aliasing settings do you guys recommend running this on? I heard you really can't tell the difference above 8x, is that true?

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
:lol the SMG (50 ammo) is like a super sniper with the laser dot since it has so much ammo.

When you have the jump on people use strength mode to reduce recoil and steady your aim (uses around 5 energy per shot I think).

And if you haven't been picking up the assault rifles (FY-71 or SCAR) then you should probably do that too.

The shotgun is a great weapon you just sprint -> jump and shoot them in the face while you sail 10 feet beyond them :D

*Laser doesn't make them notice, but flashlight will.
**Binoculars are used to mark targets on your radar so they stay on it.
***Are you having trouble with any level or is it just not as fun?
I've been using the FY-71 and SCAR, and occasionally a shotgun. It doesn't seem too fun to me since they tell me to use stealth and I usually have to use stealth, and I can only sprint for two seconds before I don't have energy left to jump etc. (unless it lets you power jump with reserve). I don't like the really floaty feel of the power jump, but I guess you have to have a lot of momentum before you try to do it.

Basically, too many places early on, even on normal, don't seem to leave options besides "sneak around or else they will send up a flare to summon backup". It was pretty much the same in parts of warhead that I played, except I seem to recall the warhead soldiers being way more accurate at a distance.

Random side note, you have a shadow while cloaked...maybe that's intentional? :lol I wonder if people notice that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kevin said:
What anti aliasing settings do you guys recommend running this on? I heard you really can't tell the difference above 8x, is that true?
0xAA Gotta have those plants look nice :lol
Blizzard said:
I've been using the FY-71 and SCAR, and occasionally a shotgun. It doesn't seem too fun to me since they tell me to use stealth and I usually have to use stealth, and I can only sprint for two seconds before I don't have energy left to jump etc. (unless it lets you power jump with reserve). I don't like the really floaty feel of the power jump, but I guess you have to have a lot of momentum before you try to do it.

Basically, too many places early on, even on normal, don't seem to leave options besides "sneak around or else they will send up a flare to summon backup". It was pretty much the same in parts of warhead that I played, except I seem to recall the warhead soldiers being way more accurate at a distance.

Random side note, you have a shadow while cloaked...maybe that's intentional? :lol I wonder if people notice that.
I don't seem to recall seeing shadows in MP, could be wrong (I was playing on medium during beta).
Flares are the best since you can ambush them! Hide in the plants then run out in front of the car and strength punch it into the ocean.

If you feel like you are dying too much... I dunno. Bump up your armor value? :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks. I haven't watched the video yet, but I tried a bit of Crysis yesterday with a new 1GB 5850. It could only manage 35ish FPS stable with some settings on high and no AA besides edge AA, but I felt like some of the suit powers made more sense, specifically maximum speed making your NORMAL walking speed faster. That, plus going prone and hiding half the time, helped things be a little easier.

I wish there were an easier keyboard way to do the suit powers. I suppose I could do scripting or something. I usually try to do V3 or V2 or whatever, but if you move the mouse while you're rapidly hitting those keys you select the wrong power. :lol Also, I tried swimming and hopping on some boats, and jumping out of the water onto them was super awkward. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hazaro said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDi3o77NJE#t=03m30s

Pretty good suit usage from this player. Part 3 is good too.

That guy is quite good. The thing you have to learn about Crysis' suit powers is that they're never meant to be a crutch. There is no magic formula or technique that will let you coast through the game. They're only there to facilitate different ways of approaching situations. In the end it's your own skill that matters.

Playing on delta where every korean could easily mean your death if you are careless makes you really have to play in a completely different way. If you want to rambo it on delta you actually have to be as good as rambo. :lol Otherwise you're gonna have to get sneaky and be a little more clever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
Thanks. I haven't watched the video yet, but I tried a bit of Crysis yesterday with a new 1GB 5850. It could only manage 35ish FPS stable with some settings on high and no AA besides edge AA, but I felt like some of the suit powers made more sense, specifically maximum speed making your NORMAL walking speed faster. That, plus going prone and hiding half the time, helped things be a little easier.

I wish there were an easier keyboard way to do the suit powers. I suppose I could do scripting or something. I usually try to do V3 or V2 or whatever, but if you move the mouse while you're rapidly hitting those keys you select the wrong power. :lol Also, I tried swimming and hopping on some boats, and jumping out of the water onto them was super awkward. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. :lol
Use speed to shoot to of the water like an arrow.
I use middle click to swap between suit powers which I assign to a side button on my mouse.

NIGHT-

Well gaf, I'm trying to install Crysis from a disc and getting a Error 1335. Each time I try to install it seems as if some other Cab file is corrupt. I've tried copying everything from the disc to the desktop and no go. Basically the whole DMC4 nightmare I was having all over again. =[

any ideas?

I just finished Crysis for the first time and I can get behind what Foliorum Viridum wrote near the top of this page. Even down to the where he is sick at home and being on a Crysis binge (though I'm injured) and will be playing Warhead tomorrow.

The aliens get too much hate. From what I'd heard, I had this view that over half the game I'd be fighting aliens and it would be shit. But it was like 2 hours max and the only shit part was the Alien cave. The big set pieces were fun enough, except the 2 bosses at the end.

I have a couple of ideas that would rock, but maybe they happen in Warhead so I won't
bother mentioning them all except this one:

Show me the environment freezing in real time. And let me play through a frozen rainforest raining down upon frozen trees until my PC is brought to its knees by 10,000 physical interactions.

I freaking loved the massive open areas like the open cut mine and the processing plant on top. That rocked!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-SD- said:
That's quite standard... nothing special.
Well I haven't watched a lot of Crysis gameplay footage and there's a ton of it which is mostly bad.
I just wanted to find something where the player didn't stay in Armor or cloak the entire video.
If you have more please share!

Top Bottom