• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

I was enjoying this game until I reach the Vtol mission, that air craft has the worst handling and controls are horrible, Vtol mission sucks, even with the mouse sensitivity all the way up, the Aliens out maneuver the vtol with EASE....

Ydahs

Finally got this game working without forcing it into DX9 mode. All I had to do was uninstall and then reinstall the graphic card drivers :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just about done with Relic mission, Love, love taking out bases slowly. Takes about 10-15minutes. But going through it, is just so bloody awesome.

Ydahs

Just completed the first level. Hard, no very hard but fun as hell. I'm not sure if I'm meant to take a stealth approach or go all out. I always end up with a bunch of enemies on my tail and using cloak a lot... Haven't really utilized strength in combat though...

Nemesis121 said:
I was enjoying this game until I reach the Vtol mission, that air craft has the worst handling and controls are horrible, Vtol mission sucks, even with the mouse sensitivity all the way up, the Aliens out maneuver the vtol with EASE....

Don't try to rescue anybody. Fuck em. You just got to head to the boat and leave those people behind. Every man for himself.

Haunted

Ydahs said:
Just completed the first level. Hard, no very hard but fun as hell. I'm not sure if I'm meant to take a stealth approach or go all out. I always end up with a bunch of enemies on my tail and using cloak a lot... Haven't really utilized strength in combat though...
Ha! That's perfect. You have to shake off the "I do what the developer wants me to do" mindset.

Do what you want. Do what works out for you. Do what is the most fun to you. You can play it like a regular shooter. You can play it stealth. You can play it melee. You can play it with speed. You can mix it up.

You control the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you use strength mode your aim increases and your weapon sway goes down. I usually have STR for mid range combat vs 2 or 3 people, but go cloak and chill a bit to pick off incoming reinforcements while the first group searches for me.

Ydahs

Hazaro said:
If you use strength mode your aim increases and your weapon sway goes down. I usually have STR for mid range combat vs 2 or 3 people, but go cloak and chill a bit to pick off incoming reinforcements while the first group searches for me.
Never knew strength increased fire power. Though it was only for melée and jumping. I'll have to try it.

Thanks all for the advice :D

Ydahs

Just great. All of a sudden, it stops loading again. Crashing on load.

EDIT: Okay, found out why it doesn't work. Created a shortcut, added -windowed to force into windowed mode. It worked. The fullscreen option is still activated in the options menu. From there I changed the game to not run in fullscreen to see if that's causing the issue. I than loaded it through Steam and it was running successfully in non-fullscreen mode! Yay. now I went into options, changed it to fullscreen mode and it... crashed :(

So the issue here is that it crashes in full screen mode. It worked perfectly fine after I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers a couple of days ago and last night I managed to play 2 hours without an issue. Any ideas GAF? I cant continue reinstalling my drivers everyday, nor do I want to play it in windowed mode.

ArjanN

Ydahs said:
Just great. All of a sudden, it stops loading again. Crashing on load.

EDIT: Okay, found out why it doesn't work. Created a shortcut, added -windowed to force into windowed mode. It worked. The fullscreen option is still activated in the options menu. From there I changed the game to not run in fullscreen to see if that's causing the issue. I than loaded it through Steam and it was running successfully in non-fullscreen mode! Yay. now I went into options, changed it to fullscreen mode and it... crashed :(

So the issue here is that it crashes in full screen mode. It worked perfectly fine after I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers a couple of days ago and last night I managed to play 2 hours without an issue. Any ideas GAF? I cant continue reinstalling my drivers everyday, nor do I want to play it in windowed mode.

Tried running it in DX9 mode?

Ydahs

ArjanN said:
Tried running it in DX9 mode?
Yeah, I tried it and it worked the first time this happened several days ago. It only worked in dx9 until I completely reinstalled the graphics card drivers. After that it worked until today. After posting my above message I retried reinstalling my drivers and it began working normally again, but chances are it'll probably stop running in full screen mode later during the week and only resume working if I, once again, reinstall my drivers.

What I want to know is why it only works for a couple of days after a clean driver install. The only other things which is being utilized on that PC is Autodesk Inventor and the internet so I cannot understand why it'll stop working all of a sudden.

edit: dx9 mode always works, but it's the dx10 mode that stops working after a while. I want to get it fixed instead of ignoring it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DieH@rd said:
No, not firepower. It just steadies your aim. Its especially usefull if you have to snipe something that is far away.
It just makes so much sense and which dev thought to include that is brilliant.

pirata

MickeyKnox said:
Since this thread has been resurrected here's a mod to keep an eye on:

Russia 2028

Why is video game Russia always so glum and messy? Are there any games that focus on the colorful, cheerful side of the country (other than Tetris)?

scitek

pirata said:
Why is video game Russia always so glum and messy? Are there any games that focus on the colorful, cheerful side of the country (other than Tetris)?

There's a colorful, cheerful side of the country?

Ydahs said:
Yeah, I tried it and it worked the first time this happened several days ago. It only worked in dx9 until I completely reinstalled the graphics card drivers. After that it worked until today. After posting my above message I retried reinstalling my drivers and it began working normally again, but chances are it'll probably stop running in full screen mode later during the week and only resume working if I, once again, reinstall my drivers.

What I want to know is why it only works for a couple of days after a clean driver install. The only other things which is being utilized on that PC is Autodesk Inventor and the internet so I cannot understand why it'll stop working all of a sudden.

edit: dx9 mode always works, but it's the dx10 mode that stops working after a while. I want to get it fixed instead of ignoring it.

What level does this happen on? The last level has a dx10 bug for a lot of people.

-viper-

Banned
What are the chances Crysis 2 will have proper 360 controller support?

I'm planning to build a new PC soon and would much rather buy the master race edition with 1080p graphics as opposed to crappy console image quality Crysis :p

no, I don't want to hear mouse and keyboard is better. Yes, I know it is - but I grew up on playing games on controllers. And I like to sit in my comfy couch

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
-viper- said:

I'm planning to build a new PC soon and would much rather buy the master race edition with 1080p graphics as opposed to crappy console image quality Crysis :p

no, I don't want to hear mouse and keyboard is better. Yes, I know it is - but I grew up on playing games on controllers. And I like to sit in my comfy couch
About 100%.

Ydahs

I <3 Memes said:
What level does this happen on? The last level has a dx10 bug for a lot of people.
It's not happening on any level. Whenever it's in full screen the game crashes, whether on load when it's currently in full screen or on the menu when I switch over to full screen. This does not happen when I run it in dx9 mode or when I forced it in windowed mode in dx10 by adding "-windowed" in the shortcut.

Ydahs said:
It's not happening on any level. Whenever it's in full screen the game crashes, whether on load when it's currently in full screen or on the menu when I switch over to full screen. This does not happen when I run it in dx9 mode or when I forced it in windowed mode in dx10 by adding "-windowed" in the shortcut.

Perhaps a UAC problem? Try running the exe as an administrator and see if that fixes it.

Ydahs

I <3 Memes said:
Perhaps a UAC problem? Try running the exe as an administrator and see if that fixes it.
Already tried that. No luck :(

Looking at the logs in Computer Manager, the error is always related to C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll

TheExodu5

Banned
Ydahs said:
Already tried that. No luck :(

Looking at the logs in Computer Manager, the error is always related to C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll

I had that crash when I was pushing my overclock too far on my GTX 570.

TheExodu5

Banned
NVM the shadows was problems with the previously installed CCC.

After trying several visual mods tonight, I have come to the conclusion that Very High, default, is by far the best looking one. In motion, it's a much bigger leap above High than I had expected.

edit: on second that, forget that. Way too much pop in with default.

grkazan12

Just started playing Crysis with my new rig yesterday and man is this game awesome. Just a quick question I'm running it on Evga GTX 570 and I'm getting 25 fps on Very High 1920x1080, not a huge problem but does that sound about right?. If it's not where do I start to tweak the graphics?.

dangeROSS

So I finally finished Crysis and Crysis Warhead. I was loving Crysis up until you actually start fighting the Aliens. And then I was sad. All the cool aspects of the game were completely thrown out the window at that point. And the 2 final bosses were horrible. No fun at all. Such a crummy way to endthe last half of a otherwise fun game.

Warhead seemed pretty well done throughout. The aliens weren't nearly as un-fun or annoyingly lame. It also ran much better on my system and I don't know if that made a big difference with them. I kinda missed the more sandbox-ness of Crysis 1 but ah well.

I'm looking forward to Crysis 2 now, and hope it retains alot of what made the first two games fun and avoid their pitfalls. I think I'll have to get it on consoles because I know it would murder my PC and steal it's wallet and car.

dangeROSS said:
So I finally finished Crysis and Crysis Warhead. I was loving Crysis up until you actually start fighting the Aliens. And then I was sad. All the cool aspects of the game were completely thrown out the window at that point. And the 2 final bosses were horrible. No fun at all. Such a crummy way to endthe last half of a otherwise fun game.

Warhead seemed pretty well done throughout. The aliens weren't nearly as un-fun or annoyingly lame. It also ran much better on my system and I don't know if that made a big difference with them. I kinda missed the more sandbox-ness of Crysis 1 but ah well.

I'm looking forward to Crysis 2 now, and hope it retains alot of what made the first two games fun and avoid their pitfalls. I think I'll have to get it on consoles because I know it would murder my PC and steal it's wallet and car.

If your PC can play Crysis and Warhead perfectly fine, why would you switch to a console version of Crysis 2?! That's ludicrous.

Blizzard

Banned
Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Here is an awesome gameplay video. Proves that the fun you have from the game is directly proportional to what you put into it.

the way it's meant to be played.
That looks cool, but it's hard for me to believe the enemies dying in so few shots and being so unaware of where he was. I could have sworn in Crysis, normal difficulty, that enemies would (mostly?) all become aware of me at the same time if I was spotted, they would kill me in a very short time period from hundreds of feet away, and they would take lots of shots. A helicopter/jeep/whatever would come in to kill me. I don't know if the enemies respawned infinitely or not. I'm not sure if even strength + non-silenced or whatever helped kill them faster. In my first attempt, playing as an invisible sniper seemed the only reasonable way to do it, but I think I finally had some success at using speed the second time around. I need to try some more.

At minimum, it's hard to believe that he could cloak/uncloak/shoot like 20 feet away from 3 soldiers going past a barn, and throw a barrel behind them, and none of them would even look around? I guess one circled around.

I guess I just need more practice and lower settings. :(

Stitch

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
That looks cool, but it's hard for me to believe the enemies dying in so few shots and being so unaware of where he was. I could have sworn in Crysis, normal difficulty, that enemies would (mostly?) all become aware of me at the same time if I was spotted, they would kill me in a very short time period from hundreds of feet away, and they would take lots of shots. A helicopter/jeep/whatever would come in to kill me. I don't know if the enemies respawned infinitely or not. I'm not sure if even strength + non-silenced or whatever helped kill them faster.

uuhhh no? sounds like you played far cry 2 lol

grkazan12 said:
Just started playing Crysis with my new rig yesterday and man is this game awesome. Just a quick question I'm running it on Evga GTX 570 and I'm getting 25 fps on Very High 1920x1080, not a huge problem but does that sound about right?. If it's not where do I start to tweak the graphics?.

Those seem low. I'm running a Radeon 5970 and am averaging between 40 - 60 fps, generally with the same settings. I would turn off antialiasing, if you haven't done that already. See if that helps.

SonComet

Blizzard said:
That looks cool, but it's hard for me to believe the enemies dying in so few shots and being so unaware of where he was. I could have sworn in Crysis, normal difficulty, that enemies would (mostly?) all become aware of me at the same time if I was spotted, they would kill me in a very short time period from hundreds of feet away, and they would take lots of shots. A helicopter/jeep/whatever would come in to kill me. I don't know if the enemies respawned infinitely or not. I'm not sure if even strength + non-silenced or whatever helped kill them faster. In my first attempt, playing as an invisible sniper seemed the only reasonable way to do it, but I think I finally had some success at using speed the second time around. I need to try some more.

At minimum, it's hard to believe that he could cloak/uncloak/shoot like 20 feet away from 3 soldiers going past a barn, and throw a barrel behind them, and none of them would even look around? I guess one circled around.

I guess I just need more practice and lower settings. :(
I feel the same way about Crysis. I am just really bad at the first one when fighting the Koreans. I always felt like I died too fast, and when I got seen too many would show up. I will admit to being terrible at FPS games on PC especially as I have never really played them with the exception of UT2004. I had a lot more fun with Warhead as I just felt stronger and the enemies were much easier. Don't know if that's true, but it felt that way to me. I felt like I did get the hang of Crysis towards the end and the aliens didn't give me much trouble except for the 10-15fps last boss (I refused to turn my settings down for just that one area, haha). In Warhead I am nowhere near the level of many, but I at least can use all my suits powers while fighting instead of just cloak/armor like in Crysis without dying much because I could do so without dying. When I tried to play that way in Crysis I would get owned.

Maybe I should try playing through the first Crysis again to see if I am any better after just playing Warhead. Also, Crysis also runs way worse than Warhead. I can do Warhead 2560x1600 all enthusiast no problem, but Crysis on the same settings lags hard at some points. Especially the last boss.

Haunted

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Here is an awesome gameplay video. Proves that the fun you have from the game is directly proportional to what you put into it.

the way it's meant to be played.
:bow Crytek

It does look like he's playing on easy, but if it's for the purpose of showing off the versatility of the suit powers and how much fun you can have just fucking around with the AI, playing cat and mouse, pulling off complex maneuvers like "stealth -> grab explosives -> attach explosives to barrel -> strength -> throw explosive barrel towards SUV -> trigger at the perfect moment" with blazing speed... Exceptional, simply exceptional.

Also, being reminded of the actual speed when running in maximum speed mode drives home how big of a nerf the power seems to have gotten for Crysis 2. :/

aegies

-viper- said:

Crysis 2 on PC has better 360 pad support than most Xbox 360 shooters do. It's up there with Halo for options, and they're easily accessible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wormstrangler said:
Great use of suit powers but the guy has reloading OCD.
If you think that guy has reloading OCD you should see me play an FPS. That's part of the reason I get wrecked in multiplayer. Haha.

Top Bottom