• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

SonComet said:
I feel the same way about Crysis. I am just really bad at the first one when fighting the Koreans. I always felt like I died too fast, and when I got seen too many would show up. I will admit to being terrible at FPS games on PC especially as I have never really played them with the exception of UT2004. I had a lot more fun with Warhead as I just felt stronger and the enemies were much easier. Don't know if that's true, but it felt that way to me. I felt like I did get the hang of Crysis towards the end and the aliens didn't give me much trouble except for the 10-15fps last boss (I refused to turn my settings down for just that one area, haha). In Warhead I am nowhere near the level of many, but I at least can use all my suits powers while fighting instead of just cloak/armor like in Crysis without dying much because I could do so without dying. When I tried to play that way in Crysis I would get owned.

Maybe I should try playing through the first Crysis again to see if I am any better after just playing Warhead. Also, Crysis also runs way worse than Warhead. I can do Warhead 2560x1600 all enthusiast no problem, but Crysis on the same settings lags hard at some points. Especially the last boss.

Yeah, Warhead is a much easier and more enjoyable game than Crysis 1. It's also less demanding on your system than Crysis 1.

Dennis

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Yeah, Warhead is a much easier and more enjoyable game than Crysis 1. It's also less demanding on your system than Crysis 1.
I don't recall if Crysis was easier than Warhead on Delta but Warhead is certainly not as good a game as Crysis. The huge open levels made Crysis the better game.

DennisK4 said:
I don't recall if Crysis was easier than Warhead on Delta but Warhead is certainly not as good a game as Crysis. The huge open levels made Crysis the better game.

Yeah, I can understand why people like Crysis 1 better. I don't really care much for open end levels of Crysis and just thought Warhead was more fun.

dangeROSS

wormstrangler said:
If your PC can play Crysis and Warhead perfectly fine, why would you switch to a console version of Crysis 2?! That's ludicrous.

Crysis ran somewhat sluggish on Medium settings for me. Warhead ran better. I don't think my PC will be able to handle Crysis 2 all that well. I have no qualms with playing the game on consoles.

rossonero

I'm trying the "Ultra Very High Quality" mod or whatever it's called and it's awesome. Except for one thing, it has an effect that make it seems like I'm shortsighted, that is one can only see for like 50 meters ahead and then it's blurry.

Anybody here know how to at least turn it down a notch?

Stallion Free said:
That's pretty much standard for people raised on FPS and it can be a really hard habit to break.

Break the habit and you'll do better in MP games. I was the same in the good old CS days. Once I retrained myself, I started dying a hell of a lot less due to useless reloading.

untitledpc48.png

Blizzard

Banned
I seem to recall constantly reloading being a key point for me in the old Enemy Territory game. Of course, playing one of the recent "realistic" games that makes you lose your entire clip when you reload tends to help break the habit, I imagine. :p

I feel so dumb. I have played this game countless times since it was released (hell, even before with the demo) and I never knew what 'suit shortcuts' meant. I'm going through Crysis yet again now and decided to finally look up what that meant, and IT'S REALLY USEFUL WOW. I already became quick at switching with the little menu and faster still with the number buttons, but double tapping crouch to go invisible or back twice for armor makes it even more natural. Only shortcut that is awkward is strength since it is mapped to double jump; I use it for sniping and punching people.

rossonero said:
I'm trying the "Ultra Very High Quality" mod or whatever it's called and it's awesome. Except for one thing, it has an effect that make it seems like I'm shortsighted, that is one can only see for like 50 meters ahead and then it's blurry.

Anybody here know how to at least turn it down a notch?

Not sure if this will work but type this when you open up the console:

r_depthoffield 0

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That's the most awesome gameplay I've ever seen. I could never hope to pull that off. That guy made it look like he was a 1980s action movie star. DAMN!

Yup, pretty damn amazing. You should take a look at all his other Crysis videos, too. He does some pretty amazing things in the game that I could never pull off.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I tend to go for a more fast stealthy way of move in, uncloak, pop 2 headshots with a silencer, recloak and reflank.

I've been trying to speed up my attacks without dying and it has been a TON more fun.

guise

I'm having a problem with surround sound - its not working...

Im running the game on an iMac using Boot Camp (Win7 - 64bit)

It's hooked up to my amp via optical out and when i run a sound test through windows control panel it sends a DTS/DD5.1 signal, however when play Crysis (through steam) everything is stereo. What gives?

Is this something i've fucked up in windows or something to do with the hardware/drivers? I can't seem to find anything by googling... i read somewhere that the game picks up your windows audio settings on first boot, which would explain things since i had my sound initially set to speakers rather then S/PDIF, however i have no idea how to make the game force detect 5.1. Any suggestions?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Guys, the game is crashing like mad on me at the aircraft carrier level, at the battle with the giant "matrix octopus".

Specs are W7 64bits, 2500K, 6950, 4Gb RAM...

I hope there's a fix or i won't be able to beat the game :'(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SuperÑ said:
Guys, the game is crashing like mad on me at the aircraft carrier level, at the battle with the giant "matrix octopus".

Specs are W7 64bits, 2500K, 6950, 4Gb RAM...

I hope there's a fix or i won't be able to beat the game :'(

That level is broken as hell in DX10. There's probably a memory leak. Add -dx9 to the shortcut and it'll be fine.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
guise said:
I'm having a problem with surround sound - its not working...

Im running the game on an iMac using Boot Camp (Win7 - 64bit)

It's hooked up to my amp via optical out and when i run a sound test through windows control panel it sends a DTS/DD5.1 signal, however when play Crysis (through steam) everything is stereo. What gives?

Is this something i've fucked up in windows or something to do with the hardware/drivers? I can't seem to find anything by googling... i read somewhere that the game picks up your windows audio settings on first boot, which would explain things since i had my sound initially set to speakers rather then S/PDIF, however i have no idea how to make the game force detect 5.1. Any suggestions?
Have you played any other games and had 5.1 work? I think for 5.1 over optical you need a dolby digital live compatible sound card.

d0g_bear

nextgeneration said:
Not sure if this will work but type this when you open up the console:

r_depthoffield 0

you can probably edit that line in the autoexec.cfg file, and not have to change it every time you play. Back up the file first just to be safe though

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Just finished the campaing. What an awesome experience. At time it seemed i was playing a Playstation 4 title...and the game was made 4 years ago! :O

The final level somehow spoiled the complete experience as the it was buggy as well as the final boss (fucking nuke launcher won't target any objetctives).

Nabs

Figuring out Suit Shortcuts made this a whole new game for me. I'm replaying the parts I've already beaten now.

SuperÑ said:
Just finished the campaing. What an awesome experience. At time it seemed i was playing a Playstation 4 title...and the game was made 4 years ago! :O

The final level somehow spoiled the complete experience as the it was buggy as well as the final boss (fucking nuke launcher won't target any objetctives).
Same for me. I had to Youtube the ending :(

Aselith

SuperÑ said:

I don't know if this would help you but you might try it. I had a ton of trouble there too. It crashed my computer essentially three times in a row. First time,I thought the game had just crashed and restarting would fix me up. Second, I thought it was the graphics settings. It had been super choppy starting with the big spider thing so I just assumed my computer was having issues even though the rest of the game was smooth as silk.

Third time, I looked into it. Apparently, it's an issue with DX10 that causes it to be buggy. If you go into the properties by right clicking the game on Steam and selecting properties of course, then under general select Launch Options and add the line "-dx9" without quotes that should fix you up. That may not work for the thing where it won't target but you could give it a shot.

If you don't have the Steam version here's the way to do the same, Right click on the game's .exe, select Properties, and add "-dx9" (without quotes) into the target box, one blank character space after the text that's already there.

I loved the rest of the game but that last level is just fucked as hell.

I think this game will work very well on 360 not having played the demo yet. I used a 360 controller to play and although it wasn't obviously as great for aiming, it was perfect for quickly moving between power ups. With suit shortcuts, it made everything a breeze. I've heard the controls are different on Crysis 2 so not sure if they are as good. I have a lot of trouble with hitting shift and alt with my pinky while mouse and keyboarding. It works but they get cramped after a bit so the 360 was much more comfortable for doubletapping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just installed this in my new PC - i5 2500k, ATI 6950. Having a couple of problems.

Firstly, its tearing a lot. I've gone into the catalyst thing and turned the slider up to 'vsync unless overridden by the app', and also checked triple buffering. But its still tearing. Should I have the vsync slider on 'always on' and will that adversely affect other games? Or is there an option I can put into the game somewhere?

Secondly, for some reason when I run the game my screen is going into 1080p/24 mode. And it doesn't fill the screen. My desktop is running 1080p/60, and I've adjusted the overscan to fill the screen (set to 0%). But running Crysis it doesn't fill the screen and changes the refresh rate for some reason. Is there a way to force it to 1080p/60?

Red

mrklaw said:
Just installed this in my new PC - i5 2500k, ATI 6950. Having a couple of problems.

Firstly, its tearing a lot. I've gone into the catalyst thing and turned the slider up to 'vsync unless overridden by the app', and also checked triple buffering. But its still tearing. Should I have the vsync slider on 'always on' and will that adversely affect other games? Or is there an option I can put into the game somewhere?

Secondly, for some reason when I run the game my screen is going into 1080p/24 mode. And it doesn't fill the screen. My desktop is running 1080p/60, and I've adjusted the overscan to fill the screen (set to 0%). But running Crysis it doesn't fill the screen and changes the refresh rate for some reason. Is there a way to force it to 1080p/60?
For tearing: download Rivatuner, delete everything but D3DOverrider. Run D3DOverrider for just about any game.

For forcing 1080p, 60Hz: create a shortcut, right click on shortcut, go to properties, add -1920,1080,60 following the "crysis stuff" to alter your launch options. If you are on Steam, right click on the Steam entry, go to properties, and put the same thing in the launch options box.

Might interest some, its a slow-mo vid of a vehicle explosion in Crysis Warhead i made when i was messing around taking some screenshots. The new explosions in Warhead impressed me, but seing them in slo-mo was another thing altogether -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8_yu0fyEo

Edit - And those Ninja vids are great ! Doing stuff i never even thought of trying, guess another playthrough of Crysis is on the cards ;)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Crunched said:
For forcing 1080p, 60Hz: create a shortcut, right click on shortcut, go to properties, add -1920,1080,60 following the "crysis stuff" to alter your launch options. If you are on Steam, right click on the Steam entry, go to properties, and put the same thing in the launch options box.

Holy crap, where the hell were you 3 years ago??

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Crunched said:

He means "Thank you for your tips. I wish i had known what you just told me 3 years ago when the game came out".

I had to set my monitor at 50Hz to solve the problem. Now i know how to fix the black borders.

ManeKast

Going to play this for the first time tonight on my new G73sw Asus gaming notebook.

Purchased from steam. Questions;

1. Can I use mods on the Steam version?

2. What mods are *essential* (heard the foilage mode was good?)

3. Will I get a reasonable frame rate on high settings @ 1080P?

Specs:
Intel Core i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge Processor 2.0Ghz
8GB DDR3 (1333Mhz) system memory
1000GB HYBRID (2x500GB) 7200RPM HDD, BLURAY COMBO
17.3-inch LED FULL HD (1920x1080)
NVIDIA GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphics DX11

Will be playing on Delta based on GAF reponses.

Red

ManeKast said:
Going to play this for the first time tonight on my new G73sw Asus gaming notebook.

1. Yes.

2. See here.

3. You may have to adjust some settings, but I can't imagine you having much trouble. Don't expect enthusiast configs and 60+ fps, but with mostly high settings and no AA I think you'll manage 25-35fps without tremendous difficulty. You might be surprised at how playable Crysis is at lower frame rates.

ManeKast

Crunched said:
1. Yes.

2. See here.

3. You may have to adjust some settings, but I can't imagine you having much trouble. Don't expect enthusiast configs and 60+ fps, but with mostly high settings and no AA I think you'll manage 25-35fps without tremendous difficulty. You might be surprised at how playable Crysis is at lower frame rates.

Thanks for that, its been a while since I gamed on PC (10 years or more) so good to get tips on things like AA that arent really dealt with on consoles. 30fps sounds fine and is what I am chasing.

Can't wait to play this!

ManeKast said:

Specs:
Intel Core i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge Processor 2.0Ghz
8GB DDR3 (1333Mhz) system memory
1000GB HYBRID (2x500GB) 7200RPM HDD, BLURAY COMBO
17.3-inch LED FULL HD (1920x1080)
NVIDIA GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphics DX11

Will be playing on Delta based on GAF reponses.

Not 100% sure on my answers, but feel pretty confident.

1. Yes.
2. None are essential
3. Yes

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Crunched said:
For tearing: download Rivatuner, delete everything but D3DOverrider. Run D3DOverrider for just about any game.

1080p trick seems to have worked a treat - thanks. Googled everywhere and there are lots of problems but no obvious answers.

vsync - I patched it up and the new version has a vsync option built in.

Looks gorgeous now, but seems a bit stutterier than it was before.

Hey, any recommendations for setting up the 360 controller buttons? The game seems fairly controller friendly, with 'press A to jump' etc, then says 'press Z for prone' and 'mousewheel up/down for map zoom'. wait, what? I'm not an octopus.

Is there any way to get all of the main controls mapped to the controller?

Red

mrklaw said:
1080p trick seems to have worked a treat - thanks. Googled everywhere and there are lots of problems but no obvious answers.

vsync - I patched it up and the new version has a vsync option built in.

Looks gorgeous now, but seems a bit stutterier than it was before.

Hey, any recommendations for setting up the 360 controller buttons? The game seems fairly controller friendly, with 'press A to jump' etc, then says 'press Z for prone' and 'mousewheel up/down for map zoom'. wait, what? I'm not an octopus.

Is there any way to get all of the main controls mapped to the controller?
I'd recommend still using D3DOverrider instead of the game's vsync option. Try it and see if you have better results.

As for mapping buttons, I haven't used a controller for the game, but I'd assume you could remap in the options.

ManeKast

Played this for hours last night, on Delta, up to the section just past where you have your first trange encounter. What an amazing game, very LTTP but so happy to be PC gaming again. The difficulty seems perfect, making use of the suits many abilities to take out enemies one by one.

It was a rocky start, the menu would not work at all with my mouse (was off completely) but having read this thread I just forced Direct X 9 and everything was smooth as silk from there.

The game runs great on the G73SW with Nvidia 460M / Sandy Bridge. Settings on high, no AA and at 1080P. I am sure everyone remembers the first time they saw the sunrise in the game, striking.

I have finally rejoined the PC gaming clique and couldn't be happier!

So how nice does the game look on Low? I know, I know, but I do recall the demo actually running on my laptop. I'm fine also playing with only 20-30 FPS. Not optimal in anyway, but something I can live with, if I can actually play the game.

Here are the specs (feel free to laugh)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn you guys, stop bumping this thread. I'm dying with anticipation to play this game. I have it ready to go on Steam, and my rig should be ready to go by today so I'm just waiting impatiently right now. Hopefully I can get decent settings from my Intel Core i5 Quad and my GTX 460 (I think that's what they're called).

I could be playing this tonight 8====D ~~~~~~~

Snuggler said:
Damn you guys, stop bumping this thread. I'm dying with anticipation to play this game. I have it ready to go on Steam, and my rig should be ready to go by today so I'm just waiting impatiently right now. Hopefully I can get decent settings from my Intel Core i5 Quad and my GTX 460 (I think that's what they're called).

At least you are going to have a rig that can get decent settings. I'm hoping for playable on low or very low. lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snuggler said:

Xigmatek is releasing his Splosion mod on Vday. I was holding off on Crysis Warhead until it was finished. Best splosions in a game would be understatement. The man makes Michael Bay look like an amateur (well, who doesn't).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SapientWolf said:
Xigmatek is releasing his Splosion mod on Vday. I was holding off on Crysis Warhead until it was finished. Best splosions in a game would be understatement. The man makes Michael Bay look like an amateur (well, who doesn't).

Holy shit, that's nuts. The exaggerated explosions remind of The Simpsons episode when Hans' car blows up.

Will download that ASAP.

Red

Reposting this here from a LTTP: Crysis thread.

Does anyone know a way to increase weapon/player momentum without using a flowgraph? Is it possible? Because I was playing around with this mod, and while it is mostly fucking fantastic, I couldn't deal with the blur or get it working outside of the sandbox editor. Also seems to cause a slow down effect whenever the suit powers are activated, which is a bit annoying, as is the artificial sharpening filter it tosses over everything.

But the player and weapon movement it introduces are goddamn amazing. Best I've ever seen.

LOL

Well it runs rather nice at on low, it looks bleh, but hey it's the gameplay that's important (besides I'm sure I can strike a nice balance tinkering around with the full version).

Does anyone know if the Demo compared to the last patched version was horribly unoptimized, and thus what I get in the demo should be better in the retail version.

Top Bottom