• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

Chrono

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Go into your video settings first and check to make sure your VSYNC setting is forced on/off and not Let The APP Decide.

Thanks that worked. :D

I made it right up to the beach again after we found a member of the special ops hanging from a tree. The game looks amazing, though the early sections at night with the rocks didn't impress me much. I really do think now an ultra/extreme setting of some sort will be unlocked when the new cards hit.

~15fps was the average. This is w/o the DX10 effects in DX9 thing or any other modification. It was running in DX10, resolution 1440x900, everything set to very high. Not bad, I expected to get like 5fps on those settings. Switching to DX9 and overclocking the CPU/MEMORY/GPU should also help a bit, and the patch coming too, though I still have no idea if that'll be good enough to play the game set to very high on my current PC configuration.

I won't be playing Crysis for a while either way, I have like a dozen PC games I want to play first.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chrono said:
Thanks that worked. :D

I made it right up to the beach again after we found a member of the special ops hanging from a tree. The game looks amazing, though the early sections at night with the rocks didn't impress me much. I really do think now an ultra/extreme setting of some sort will be unlocked when the new cards hit.

~15fps was the average. This is w/o the DX10 effects in DX9 thing or any other modification. It was running in DX10, resolution 1440x900, everything set to very high. Not bad, I expected to get like 5fps on those settings. Switching to DX9 and overclocking the CPU/MEMORY/GPU should also help a bit, and the patch coming too, though I still have no idea if that'll be good enough to play the game set to very high on my current PC configuration.

I won't be playing Crysis for a while either way, I have like a dozen PC games I want to play first.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the patch. Performance is decent right now but a modest boost would do wonders and I really don't want to spoil the experience since the patch is coming out so soon. Playing Witcher in the meantime.

KarishBHR

Im getting like 21 fps on medium settings and 720p resolution.

Which settings can I screw with to either improve the look of the game or its performance?

KarishBHR

I have the game running at an acceptable framerate but I really hate the texture popup... bushes will show up just feet before Im in front of them.

How do I change this?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm in an electronics store right now and everyone is completely sold out of the 8800GT. They do have a 8800GTX w/768MB ram for $650 and a 8800GTS w/640MB of ram for $400. Does the game run well on the 8800GTS?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Wait till you can get the 8800GT. I bought it and it runs Crysis so well (average 30+fps at 720p) and I got all settings on high.

It's such a joke to me that Gametrailers gave this game 8.8 and then Halo 9.8. This is by far the best fps of the year. I played the first few "levels" on a 7800GT on all medium settings and the game was still beautiful, innovative, immersive and just plain fun to play.

Glad that at least Gamespot recognized its greatness. GOTY for me. Mass Effect is probably 2nd and Uncharted 3rd.

Only downside is probably the end, and not the end battle that AgentOtaku complained about, but just the ending itself.

Davidion

I'm just getting to
the excavation site
now and the firefights have been much better and intense. The open ended-ness of the game is still constantly noticeable and makes the combat feel a lot more lively and unpredictable. There are some small glitches in the graphics and physics system though, nothing major but a little annoying to see.

It's been a very enjoyable game so far. I'd rate it as one of the much better and most unique FPS experiences I've had as of now.

On my stock 8800gt it's running at about 30fps at all high, 1680x1050.

Aaron

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm in an electronics store right now and everyone is completely sold out of the 8800GT. They do have a 8800GTX w/768MB ram for $650 and a 8800GTS w/640MB of ram for $400. Does the game run well on the 8800GTS?
The demo for me ran at a solid 30FPS with everything on on my GTS.

Schrade

MadOdorMachine said:
Fry's in Sunnyvale had several 8800GTs on their shelves when I went there last week.

I'm not ready to buy mine yet though.. I have to build a new system. (I only have a motherboard with AGP)

Awntawn

Somebody teach me how to play this game 3; I'm sp used to linear shooters, and as a result so far Crysis is about as fun as being stuck alone on an island full of Koreans shooting at you. Literally.

Nanosuit? Screw that, give me what they're wearing.

So in all seriousness, I know I'm just playing it wrong. How am I supposed to be playing this? How should I approach encounters, handle firefights? ;o

Apocryphon

Awntawn said:
So in all seriousness, I know I'm just playing it wrong. How am I supposed to be playing this? How should I approach encounters, handle firefights? ;o

What should i have for lunch next Thursday?

Awntawn said:
Somebody teach me how to play this game 3; I'm sp used to linear shooters, and as a result so far Crysis is about as fun as being stuck alone on an island full of Koreans shooting at you. Literally.

Nanosuit? Screw that, give me what they're wearing.

Try and think about how Predator would do things, or maybe one of the Aliens. For patrols I use attrition or monster movie tactics, appear from nowhere, strike and melt back into the jungle. For encampments I usuall go freestyle guns blazing, but I'm a heavy multplayer shooter guy and the flow of those firefights closely resembles that of an online match.

The best advice I can give you is tied to the best compliment I can give this game, if you were on an island with a suit that gives you powers and were facing a bunch of enemies, what would you do? The game is very naturalistic in it's approach to level and combat design so you are really only limited by how creative you are. Some basic tips would be to understand how your suit and your guns work, strength mode lets you 1 shot melee kill, grab and toss kill, jump over tall obstacles, boost your accuracy by steading your aim. Stealth is extremely important, learn to use it effectively. Speed is good for making fast retreats out of the enemy's field of vision. Also, remember this, head shots are instant kills. Silencers greatly reduce your weapon's power over any medium to large distance.

Just experiment, let yourself fall into a groove, there's no one right way to play this game. It'll click eventually.

KarishBHR said:
I have the game running at an acceptable framerate but I really hate the texture popup... bushes will show up just feet before Im in front of them.

How do I change this?

I just upgraded to a Q6600 and 8800GT and there's still a lot of pop-in unfortunately

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just got my new power supply and graphics card in. After I installed the power supply I turned the computer on to make sure everything was working in it. After Windows booted up I got a pop up saying I needed to install Daemon something. I installed the patch and then powered down the computer and installed 8800GT. After that was completed I turned the computer on and getting a window that said I need to run Daemon from the admin account. Well I'm using the admin account. I finally unistalled the damn thing cause the Daemon window kept popping up everytime I restarted my computer. Anyway, now I can't access the far left side of the Crysis menu with my mouse. I have to use an arrow key. When I get to the menu to launch the game it won't let me. I can't select it. What did I do? Is Daemon a virus?

Jenga

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, this truly is the best looking game ever released. The fact that it does everything so well on such a grand scale never ceases to impress.

Oh really?

It's a joke, of course

comp.png
Silent Hill 6 on Crytek engine plz

MadOdorMachine said:
I just got my new power supply and graphics card in. After I installed the power supply I turned the computer on to make sure everything was working in it. After Windows booted up I got a pop up saying I needed to install Daemon something. I installed the patch and then powered down the computer and installed 8800GT. After that was completed I turned the computer on and getting a window that said I need to run Daemon from the admin account. Well I'm using the admin account. I finally unistalled the damn thing cause the Daemon window kept popping up everytime I restarted my computer. Anyway, now I can't access the far left side of the Crysis menu with my mouse. I have to use an arrow key. When I get to the menu to launch the game it won't let me. I can't select it. What did I do? Is Daemon a virus?
Hit alt enter to go into windowed mode, then hit alt enter again to go back to fullscreen, it should fix it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's fixed. Man I didn't think there would be this much pop-up after I upgraded my card, but it really is terrible. Is it like this in the retail version?

joesmokey

I just received my 512mb 8800GTS today.

Holy shit at actually being able to run this game decently. I have a 24" widescreen, but I'm playing the game at 1600x1200 (bars on sides) with everything set to Medium and Shader Quality set to High.

All I have to say is wow. I sat for about 10 minutes just punching the water :lol. I'm not very far into the game yet, just past the intro sequence where you disable the jamming device. The only thing that's been slightly disappointing graphically so far is the texture loading, though there's probably some setting somewhere I'm overlooking.

The foliage in this game is just amazing though. Everything in this game you just want to stop and stare at because it looks so ridiculous.

Now for a completely newb question, is DirectX10 enabled by default, or do I have to go hunting and enable it somewhere in game?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
joesmokey said:
I just received my 512mb 8800GTS today.

Holy shit at actually being able to run this game decently. I have a 24" widescreen, but I'm playing the game at 1600x1200 (bars on sides) with everything set to Medium and Shader Quality set to High.

All I have to say is wow. I sat for about 10 minutes just punching the water :lol. I'm not very far into the game yet, just past the intro sequence where you disable the jamming device. The only thing that's been slightly disappointing graphically so far is the texture loading, though there's probably some setting somewhere I'm overlooking.

The foliage in this game is just amazing though. Everything in this game you just want to stop and stare at because it looks so ridiculous.

Now for a completely newb question, is DirectX10 enabled by default, or do I have to go hunting and enable it somewhere in game?

Yeah I got the 8800GT 512mb and I played it at 720p with all settings on high with 30fps. The card was $270 and the rest of my rig was top of the line 1 1/2 years ago.

So I don't understand why people say it's unplayable on high. If you're expecting 1080p then yeah... but anyway. Even on medium it blows everything else out of the water.

If you are in XP you need to enable it (check the beginning of this thread), if you are in vista it is automatic.

I'm running all very high, with no anti-aliasing, at 1280x768 resolution on a 24" widescreen monitor.

Does this mean my system is awesome or just normal?

Also, how do I take out those two KPA tanks near the beginning of the game? I went to the roof of that school with all the machine guns but they seem to have no effect on the tanks...

BeeDog

The Lamonster said:
I'm running all very high, with no anti-aliasing, at 1280x768 resolution on a 24" widescreen monitor.

Also, how do I take out those two KPA tanks near the beginning of the game? I went to the roof of that school with all the machine guns but they seem to have no effect on the tanks...

The very same building where the cutscene kicks in has some rocket launchers in one of the rooms.

Doc Evils

The Lamonster said:

try enabling 4x AA

kitch9

Banned
Chrono said:
The latest Nvidia ones, official and not beta (Edit: 169.02). I also updated to that vista hot fix the game installer prompts you to after it finishes installing. I'm going to reinstall it again and see what happens, gotta first d/l the file again as I deleted it. =\

169.02's are poor for Crysis. Try the 169.25's....

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I could use some help. I've tried going to GameFAQs and there's only one walkthrough and it didn't help me any. I'm stuck at the end of the second level. I've rendezvoused with Prophet and I'm supposed to travel through a cave to the excavation site. My problem is the cave entrance is covered with boulders and I can't get through. Anyone know what to do here?

madmook

MadOdorMachine said:
I could use some help. I've tried going to GameFAQs and there's only one walkthrough and it didn't help me any. I'm stuck at the end of the second level. I've rendezvoused with Prophet and I'm supposed to travel through a cave to the excavation site. My problem is the cave entrance is covered with boulders and I can't get through. Anyone know what to do here?
I'm pretty sure once you reach the cave its a checkpoint that ends the level. Looks like you encountered one of the triggerpoint-bugs I've read about. I myself didn't encounter that problem, but I am waiting for the memory leak to be fixed. The first patch is supposed to be released any day now, but Crytek seems to have stopped caring.

Try loading an earlier save (hopefully a quicksave or one not too far from that end part :lol ).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
^ Yeah, I've tried loading from a different point. Well this sucks. So after I upgraded my system, and bought the game, I find out it runs like crap and it's broken. What a complete waste of money. This is my first taste of PC gaming and it has left an aweful taste in my mouth. I think I'll stick with console gaming in the future.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
This thread makes me want to get back into PC gaming. I shudder at the thought of what Rig I would need to run everything on high on my 46" 1080p display though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally spent several hours with the game and I love it! It took some time to adapt to 1) the freedom and 2) the fact that I could actually run it smoothly.

In fact, I've started playing it now on my NEC CRT in the back room at 1024x768 (which actually looks smoother than many an LCD I've used for PC gaming). At such a low resolution, the performance is REALLY smooth. It feels higher than 30 fps most of the time and often at 60. The motion blur really helps here. I'm using DX9 mode with DX10 effects enabled (basically) and it really does outclass any other game on the market (it basically looks just as clean as those shots Mickey posted). Amazing looking stuff (though those claiming Uncharted looked like shit after Crysis were actually full of shit, as that is still a beautiful piece of software even next to Crysis).

The gameplay is what has surprised me. I HATED Far Cry and played it only for the visuals. That's not the case here. The design of everything is so much better than Far Cry ever hoped to be. I've just made my way past the installation with the first helicopter (following the river up into the camp) and the sun is setting. The whole experience has been incredible at this point and there are so many ways to play.

I had forgotten how much I love these open ended games. Oh, I adore Halo and still believe it is an equal to Crysis in terms of quality...but they are very different games and I love them for different reasons.

BTW, I'm using a custom cooling fan for the CPU and, even though it is overclocked to 3 GHz (from 2.66), the temp (right now) is only 17C. It hardly even climbs too far beyond that while playing Crysis. Just how high could I go safely? I spent an hour playing Crysis with an OC'd CPU without any hitches. How about the 8800GT? It is currently 425/900 (XFX card). Could I jump that up as well? It is currently idling at 30C, but I haven't checked it under stress.

I still can't believe Gamespy selected CoD4 over Crysis as PC GOTY. Heck, I'd throw STALKER up there as well (which runs like butter now). What the f*ck were they thinking? Crysis destroys COD4.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Router said:
This thread makes me want to get back into PC gaming. I shudder at the thought of what Rig I would need to run everything on high on my 46" 1080p display though.

I don't know if such a rig exists, dude, but you can build a sweet system for under a grand that will rock that shit at lower resolutions.

Holy shit what a game. Granted that I can only play it comfortably at 720p and yadda yadda, but god damn. The action got turned up quite a bit immediately after the demo level, very cool. I'm actually dying!

nib95

Banned
Can anyone guide me through how you actually install the damn blood mod? Please!

Running on my 8800 GTS (512mb) OC'd to 775/1825/2120 and it's running an average of around 28fps (goes from 20-40) with everything on the secret Very High and my CFG tweaked to hell to get maximum visual quality whilst maintaining optimal performance. It's a sight to behold, and the fact that it's running smoothly. Cum worthy.

Anyway, I'll upload my CFG sometime later tomorrow for all 8800 GTS 512mb users.

White Man

I installed this last night.

I'm running on a quad core 3.0 ghz machine, 2 gigs of RAM, 8800 GTS.

I have everything on high, and the game is shockingly very playable, rarely dipping below 30fps with everything on high. I turned particles and shadows down to medium to give the framerate a bit more oomph. Jesus, the game looks so incredible.

And the gameplay doesn't appear to be a slouch either. No FarCry bomba here. I'm only early in, but the game gives off the whole Combat Simulator vibe more than the Run and Gun FPS vibe. It's more about figuring out the best way(s) to deal with specific combat setups and variables than it is to pop and headshot bitches quickly. So far there have been no The AI Is Shooting Me From Miles Away faux pas like in FarCry, no I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE.

I don't want to golf clap this game to the top just yet--iirc, FarCry didn't start out terribly either--but it appears that at least the most visible issues with FarCry are gone at this point, and that the game has taken nice pages from the Tom Clancy and Halo books in regards to combat simulation.

The one thing I want? Well, a significant perf boost in the patch would allow my epeen to sparkle and glisten because I'd be able to gnaw on the game like a champ with all settings on high. Do me proud!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't worry, the game gets even better. I just finished sneaking through the jungle at night trying to escape back to an LZ. The experience has to have been one of the coolest I've ever experienced in an FPS. Unlike Far Cry, they truly use the jungle environment to its utmost potential and the AI is actually fantastic. This might just be my FPS of the year!

Yeah, it definitely feels like Crytek learned a few lessons from Far Cry. Haven't battled the aliens yet so I don't know if the trigen factor is gone, but I'm going to wager a guess and say that they probably fixed that too. Fucking awesome. And on a side note, I'm damned happy that I ended up upgrading from that 8600.

Prince8

Banned
Does anyone else have the feeling something misses in this game? I don't know, when I played Bioshock, it felt like a complete experience. When I play Crysis, I mean, it looks incredible, the base fps mechanics are really solid, great AI, etc. but still I'd chose Bioshock over this game anytime in "GotY" factor... I don't know, it just doesn't fell really compelling? Don't know how to explain, anyone else has the same feeling?

kbear

How is the online community? I'm getting this with a new PC first half of 08. I know there's no deathmatch but there's other modes. And what about mods and the map editor, etc?

Prince8 said:
Does anyone else have the feeling something misses in this game? I don't know, when I played Bioshock, it felt like a complete experience. When I play Crysis, I mean, it looks incredible, the base fps mechanics are really solid, great AI, etc. but still I'd chose Bioshock over this game anytime in "GotY" factor... I don't know, it just doesn't fell really compelling? Don't know how to explain, anyone else has the same feeling?

Did you play on the highest difficulty? The game really transforms there. I played through the whole thing on Delta and am very glad that I did. This game isn't really about the plot though, as much as it is about the freedom and emergent gameplay.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Honestly, for all its philosophical smarts and artistic value, Bioshock feels like a very old game when compared to this.
Exactly. They are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Bioshock:Clever and engaging story, rather dull gameplay. Crysis:Clever and engaging gameplay, rather dull story.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Honestly, for all its philosophical smarts and artistic value, Bioshock feels like a very old game when compared to this.
So you're finally playing this?

Reflex sight Shotgun + Sniper scope precision rifle = ultimate combo of long and short range death dealing.

Top Bottom