• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

madmook

number1jagsfan said:
What about resolution?
Er... why don't you just try the resolution you want and see if it runs well? If you're using an LCD monitor, you'll want to run in its native resolution for optimal image quality.

Xizk

I bought Crysis two days ago. Finally decided to install it. Type in the cd-key from behind the
manual. Invalid cd-key it says. Must have made a mistake, check for mistakes, none found. So it appears my legal copy of Crysis has an invalid cd-key. Am I screwed? Will the store even let me change it for another copy?

EDIT: Found my problem. Thought it was a 6 but it was a G. Stupid printing error -_-
At least it works.

Rur0ni

1.1 Patch out.

Fixes:
- Damage dealt to vehicles when shot by LAW has been made consistent
- F12 (screenshot) now works in restricted mode as well
- When player melees during gun raise animation, their gun will not be in a permanently raised position anymore
- Memory leaks and potential crashes

Updates:
- Improved SLI / Crossfire support and performance
- Improved overall rendering performance (DX9 and DX10)
- Enabled VSync functionality in D3D10

Tweaks:
- Reduced grenade explosion radius in multiplayer
- Clamped water tessellation to avoid cheating in MP
- Reduced LAW splash damage vs. infantry in PowerStruggle mode
- Slowed Rocket projectile speed down in MP slightly

zoku88

Xizk said:
I bought Crysis two days ago. Finally decided to install it. Type in the cd-key from behind the
manual. Invalid cd-key it says. Must have made a mistake, check for mistakes, none found. So it appears my legal copy of Crysis has an invalid cd-key. Am I screwed? Will the store even let me change it for another copy?

EDIT: Found my problem. Thought it was a 6 but it was a G. Stupid printing error -_-
At least it works.
I hate cd-keys so much. It's the one thing I don't like about PC gaming. I make those kinds of errors all of the time ;__;

besides spies and snipers in TF2. Gawd, I hate you ;___;

I'm (mostly) kidding

Rur0ni

BeeDog said:
Was the focus for the first patch to improve performance? If not, that's a fucking slim list of fixes.
Well, I think so yes. They were working on 2 patches at the same time, the next one being a feature/changes patch I imagine.

randomwab

As far as I know, this one is mainly for performance. I doubt this will be the last performance boosting patch either. Hope this improves some FPS for me.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I'm really, really happy with my system's performance. No overclocking at all and it's running like a champ on XP with the DX10 configuration files in place. I can even get 2xAA going and still stay pretty solid, though I've kept it off to get more frames as the aliasing really isn't too bad at all with edge on. Of course, it's running at a pretty low resolution so it can pair up with my Samsung HDTV set, but fucking-a it's still easily the most gorgeous gaming experience going.

BeeDog

What the hell, the setup for the patch is killing my PC. It slows it down like hell and accesses the harddrive constantly. Anyone else getting this?

bee

hard to say how much performance this patch has given as ive changed graphics drivers a couple of times and got a new cpu (although its running slower mhz wise) since playing crysis the 1st time, but performance is certainly better than when i played through it.

1360x768 all high getting 30-60fps, averaging around 45 runs real nice, where i noticed a huge difference was when i loaded up a save game from the later snowy sections where performance previously plummeted and now it runs pretty much the same as the normal jungle, that could be drivers though as much as the patch.

edit: general performance in the core section is also way way up to, but judging by other peoples results on other forums seems like most of this performance gain ive got is due to drivers.

Borys

Banned
urk said:
I'm really, really happy with my system's performance. No overclocking at all and it's running like a champ on XP with the DX10 configuration files in place. I can even get 2xAA going and still stay pretty solid, though I've kept it off to get more frames as the aliasing really isn't too bad at all with edge on. Of course, it's running at a pretty low resolution so it can pair up with my Samsung HDTV set, but fucking-a it's still easily the most gorgeous gaming experience going.

Good to hear. What res are you running at? I'll have to pick up Crysis this month. Enough waiting is enough.

BeeDog

Anyways, here's the full changelog:

==================================================================
Fixes:

*Fixed: Potential crash in D3D10
*Fixed: Orange boxes apearing when hispec savegame loaded into lowspec game.
*Fixed: Inconsistent damage dealt to vehicles when shot by LAW.
*Fixed: Reflection resolution on D3D10, MultiGPU reflection update fix
*Fixed: Memory leak with FSAA modes
*Fixed: Infinite ammo hacks.
*Fixed: Memory leak in D3D10 when switching screen modes
*Fixed: Muti optimizations
*Fixed: When player melees during gun raise animation, their gun will be in a permanantly raised position.
*Fixed: Crash when loading savegame with level exported recently by editor

*Fixed: Virtual keyboard does not function properly when a game pad is connected
*Fixed: Users can lose the ability to look around with the Right Stick
*Fixed: Setting screen resolution to "default" stops user from selecting last resolution
*Fixed: Bug when changing resolution in D3D10
*Fixed: Issues with Depth of field and water droplets in D3D10
*Fixed: Crash on NaN warning

Updates:

*Added: Motion Blur UI and V.SYNC UI options
*Optimized: Motion blur
*Optimized: FSAA (Full Scene Anti-Aliasing)
*Optimized sound id implementation
*Enabled VSync functionality in D3D10
*New benchmarking files for ice CPU benchmark.
*http/xmlrpc password protected remote control session
*Marked debug cvars as cheat

*F12 (screenshot) now works in restricted mode as well

Tweaks:

*Reduced LAW splash damage vs. infantry in PowerStruggle mode
*Slowed Rocket projectile speed down in MP slightly
*Disabled automatic turret bounding boxes on vehicles to prevent issues with LAW hit detection
*Reduced grenade explosion radius in multiplayer
*Clamped water tesselation to avoid cheating in MP
*MultiGPU improvements with depth map updates

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Borys said:
Good to hear. What res are you running at? I'll have to pick Crysis this month. Enough waiting is enough.

You know, I'm not 100% sure on the vertical, because I had to fucking beat my PC into submission with a combination of forceware due to some "interesting" HDMI issues with my set, but horizontal is 768. I wanna say 1360x768, or something close. In the end, I was forced to let my set handle the scaling when using the HDMI input, which is of course, lame.

I would have played with it a bit more, but in the end, I was just sucking up game minutes screwing with it and damn if it doesn't look amazing anyway.

I assume you're getting the 8800gt?

bee

BeeDog said:
What the hell, the setup for the patch is killing my PC. It slows it down like hell and accesses the harddrive constantly. Anyone else getting this?

haha yeah nice 100% cpu utilisation and hardrive thrashing, even patches for crysis annihilates pc's :lol

Borys

Banned
urk said:
You know, I'm not 100% sure on the vertical, because I had to fucking beat my PC into submission with a combination of forceware due to some "interesting" HDMI issues with my set, but horizontal is 768. I wanna say 1360x768, or something close. In the end, I was forced to let my set handle the scaling when using the HDMI input, which is of course, lame.

So uh... I guess you are playing it on a TV set then? I do not know shit about upscaling etc. but as long as it doesn't look stretched it's ok right?

There are so many resolutions close to the one you described: 1280x800, 1280x720, 1360x768 etc. that it makes my head hurt.

I assume you're getting the 8800gt?

Already got one :) on last week of December. XFX 8800GT 256 MB along with new CPU, mobo and RAM.

bee

Borys said:
Already got one :) on last week of December. XFX 8800GT 256 MB along with new CPU, mobo and RAM.

that 256mb is really gonna hurt you in crysis, at 1360x768 all high crysis is using 290-305mb vram.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Borys said:
So uh... I guess you are playing it on a TV set then? I do not know shit about upscaling etc. but as long as it doesn't look stretched it's ok right?

Yup, HDTV. It's a fixed pixel 1366x768 set, but for some unknown reason, Samsung decided to only allow 1:1 through VGA (which is designated as the PC port in the menus). Scaling introduces a number of artifacts and detracts from the overall image quality, but the set scales any content that's not native 1366x768 (read everything) and it does a pretty excellent job, in my opinion.

I really wish I could just set it straight to 1366x768, but again, the image quality is really great. Much better than I anticipated to tell the truth. I'm very happy with it so far.

Borys

Banned
bee said:
that 256mb is really gonna hurt you in crysis, at 1360x768 all high crysis is using 290-305mb vram.

What can I do? I'm kind of poor you know. I will play at 1024x768 BTW, cause I have a 7 year old CRT :lol I always play at 1024x768 :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bee said:
Yeah, Crysis really sucks up video memory. I also got an XFX 8800GT, but I went with the 512mb model.

If possible, you should use a CRT for the game. It will produce a very smooth image at a lower resolution. LCD users are suffering the most here as they are forced to use native resolution or else suffer poor image quality (and those high resolutions kill performance). The game takes on a more "CG-like" appearance on a CRT anyways (due to the softer look of the phosphors and superior contrast ratio/color performance).

What can I do? I'm kind of poor you know. I will play at 1024x768 BTW, cause I have a 7 year old CRT
That answers that. Yes, 1024x768 on your CRT should look fantastic. Just make sure you enable edge AA within Crysis (not regular AA, which destroys framerates). The game WILL look excellent. What are your full specs? I could give you some nice visual tweaks that would maximize performance for your situation. Most people design their configs to allow for higher resolutions (thanks to LCD monitors), but if you aren't using a high resolution, you can enjoy superior visual effects without the giant performance loss.

BeeDog

I noticed Motion Blur has been added to the video setting, and was automatically put to High after the patch. I also bumped up Water from Medium To High, and left everything else as the pre-patch, and I got roughly the same performance as before (but obviously now with some changes in the settings).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
Just make sure you enable edge AA within Crysis (not regular AA, which destroys framerates).

Hopefully the 1.1 patch works a miracle here. I can get 2xAA to run well, but it's not worth the drops for me.

dark10x said:
What are your settings and specs?

Q6600 @ stock
8800GTS 512MB @ stock
2GB Geil 800MHZ RAM

And at 1280x1024 with everything in the benchmark set to high (no AA) Still get an average of 44FPS, so its not all that bad :lol

dark10x

evanswolves said:
Q6600 @ stock
8800GTS 512MB @ stock
2GB Geil 800MHZ RAM

And at 1280x1024 with everything in the benchmark set to high (no AA) Still get an average of 44FPS, so its not all that bad :lol
Are you using object motion blur, by any chance? The update list seems to suggest a performance improvement for object based motion blur (which was quite demanding previously). I'm wondering if it helped.

I'd also like to see if object motion blur no longer glitches out under DX9 (only on select objects, of course).

Chrono

Banned
dark10x said:
LCD users are suffering the most here as they are forced to use native resolution or else suffer poor image quality (and those high resolutions kill performance).

Not really. If you have a terrible LCD, sure. I'm using a 20WMGX2 and even SD material doesn't look too bad, I played DMC3 on it. Of course this is all subjective anyway.

dark10x

Has anyone tested the DX10 renderer for increased performance? I'm curious if it is now playable in that mode.

Chrono said:
Not really. If you have a terrible LCD, sure. I'm using a 20WMGX2 and even SD material doesn't look too bad, I played DMC3 on it. Of course this is all subjective anyway.
It's very subjective. :p Every LCD I've ever tested did a poor job with lower resolution material to the point where I wouldn't enjoy using it in such a situation. It certainly doesn't come close to the glory of a CRT, that's for sure. :D

schmalz

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I was wondering if there is a way you can force the game to run DX9 even if you have Vista/DX10 installed. I didn't see anything in the game's menus.

dark10x

schmalz said:
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I was wondering if there is a way you can force the game to run DX9 even if you have Vista/DX10 installed. I didn't see anything in the game's menus.
Yep. Go to the games explorer and right click on the Crysis icon. You'll see "Play DX9" and "Play DX10" as available options.

dark10x

Unfortunately, I experienced little to no improvements with the patch in DX9 mode. DX10 actually runs quite a bit smoother for me and could be considered playable, but it doesn't really look different enough to justify the performance loss that DOES occur (it's still slower than DX9).

Anti-aliasing still demands way too much. 2xAA is somewhat playable, 4xAA tanks the framerate but remains useable (for screenshots), 8xAA destroys the framerate to the point that it become difficult to even enter the console and disable it. :p

Object motion blur in DX9 mode still suffers from glitches with certain objects (the non-Korean sci-fi enemies, for instance, though it actually makes them appear somewhat more mysterious). Performance with object motion blur enabled DOES seem a tad smoother, though.

Lostconfused said:
Best boss fight of last year: Portal

Worst boss fight of last year: Crysis
Hmm? What's wrong with the boss fight in Crysis? It actually feels like an old school arcade style boss (which I suppose is slightly out of place, but it was fun). It felt suitably epic and was fun. The fact that they upped the ante on you was also nice (I thought the initial fight was the final battle).

Portal was, of course, superior in this regard, but that doesn't mean Crysis sucked either.

BeeDog

Hmpf, restarted the game with the new patch, and bumped up all settings to High, and then I got this in just one part of the first level (right after you see your comrade dead):

6oxcqom.jpg

LSD trippin'! This happens just in that area, and not any place else. I have a 7900GT (factory clocked), 169.21 drivers. The temperature sails around 46 degrees Celsius, so most likely it's not artifacting. What the fuck is wrong here?

As fun as playing this on my 6600 was, I just got my 8800GT 512mb and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS INSANE. I downloaded one of those custom configs and JESUS CRYSIS.

couple shots with print screen for comparison:

8800, looks bad for some reason...

Also, I heard the 360 controller setup sucked, but I'm having more fun with it than the controllers(except vehicle segments... bleh), I wish I could swap zoom and melee, and set crouch to toggle, though...

dark10x

What are the rest of your specs, GB?

I've got a fantastic config file that, in my opinion, looks even nicer than DX10 Very High. All of the fancy effects are there (including object motion blur), yet it runs very smoothly. It's based on a couple of other configs out there, but I've tweaked it for maximum visual awesome.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
What are the rest of your specs, GB?

I've got a fantastic config file that, in my opinion, looks even nicer than DX10 Very High. All of the fancy effects are there (including object motion blur), yet it runs very smoothly. It's based on a couple of other configs out there, but I've tweaked it for maximum visual awesome.

yes plz

dark10x

Gattsu25 said:
I use that Zalman cooler for my CPU as well. Sliced my finger badly installing it, but it was worth it. Even OC'd, my CPU idles at ~10C. When gaming, it rarely climbs above 20. I couldn't believe how good of a job it did.

Are you sure you want to use an nVidia chipset on your motherboard, though? I've read that the recent nVidia chipsets actually kill performance (I dunno about the AMD side). Someone was posting that, using an Intel CPU, their nVidia based mobo was putting out really disappointed performance numbers. When they swapped in an IP35 based mobo, however, performance tripled in games like Crysis.

dark10x said:
I use that Zalman cooler for my CPU as well. Sliced my finger badly installing it, but it was worth it. Even OC'd, my CPU idles at ~10C. When gaming, it rarely climbs above 20. I couldn't believe how good of a job it did.

Are you sure you want to use an nVidia chipset on your motherboard, though? I've read that the recent nVidia chipsets actually kill performance (I dunno about the AMD side). Someone was posting that, using an Intel CPU, their nVidia based mobo was putting out really disappointed performance numbers. When they swapped in an IP35 based mobo, however, performance tripled in games like Crysis.

Eh, I'm getting almost uncharacteristically good performance for Crysis given my system specs, so that nvidia complaint sounds a bit weird.

edit: nevermind, that's an AMD board.

madmook

Installed the patch last night, and it seems to be pretty good, though I hope they continue to crank out more patches that address performance.

The patch doesn't boost max framerate much (if any), but it does smooth the game out overall. Places that really bogged the game down seem to see the biggest improvement, becoming smoother overall. I am most happy that they included the memory leaks in the changelist, as those were what prevented me from finishing the game. On that note, I've seen on other message boards that people weren't able to continue with their savegames after patching, but I was able to load up my old saves just fine and continue on. I haven't beaten the game yet, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it... just FYI for you people.

Another FYI, I was not able to complete installation of the patch (got an error 1334) until I restored the original cvars folder and put back the intro movies. After the patch installed I put my usual changes into the cvars and got rid of the intros again. And I also noticed that my harddrive was thrashing like crazy when installing the patch.... WTF Crytek? I've never even heard those noises coming from my hdd before, it was pretty crazy.

Top Bottom