• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BTW, any tips on achieving image quality like that in Mickey's shots? I'm using edge AA on foliage, but regular AA does not seem to work in conjunction with it nor does AF work at all (well, it seems very limited).

I must admit, this really might just become my GOTY (or at least FPS of the year). It's just so damn good. Bioshock was a great experience, of course, but it felt rather limited in many ways. I'd say Halo 3 is right up there as well, but it's way too short. I still think Halo 3 is king of play mechanics, but it is a different type of experience. Crysis is really a make your own adventure kind of game and I love that. I can't get enough of this and will probably replay it many times over.

I had my doubts, but they are shattered. I truly hated Far Cry (for the most part) and I didn't believe they could pull anything off this time, but they really solved every problem I had with that game.

Chrono

Banned
A lot of people with similar specs are saying the game is very smooth at 720p/high settings, I'm thinking the benchmark I used isn't really accurate. Can somebody try it and see if the results are similar to what you're getting in-game?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1791

On 720p/no AA/high I get ~32 fps on both the gpu and cpu tests. Not too great with a lot of times the frame rate hitting ~25. Those 40 fps moments don't matter as much as the minimum. Of course this benchmark doesn't cover the snow areas, and apparently those will lower the frame rate even more.

MickeyKnox said:
So you're finally playing this?

Reflex sight Shotgun + Sniper scope precision rifle = ultimate combo of long and short range death dealing.

Yeah, I got over my fear that it wouldn't look good enough on my system and got it for myself as an early christmas present. And even on my modest system, the game is a beauty, and of course plays awesome. Just got into my first snowy environment, I don't think I'll be able to appreciate snow in any other game after this; this shit looks real. And it's nice to play a game that gives you some real choice after certain recent spectator FPS.

Have to say, I haven't really liked any of the uberweapons so far. The gauss rifle, minigun... both very powerful, but not very fun to use. I prefer the SCAR and shotgun combo.

dark10x

Damn it, I think I hit a bug or something.

I just took out that giant Korean Cruiser using the binocs and now I've been told to defend the harbor until the support arrives. Well, on my map, I can see a green dot over a helicopter flying around...but that heli doesn't actually exist in the game world. The air support (good guys) DO show up, one of them lands (and a bunch of guys jump out and start running around), while the others just keep flying around the area. During this point, the music is playing as if I should be fighting something...but the only thing I could fight is the invisible copter. So, yeah, I don't know how to get out of this one. :\

dark10x

Well, I found the copter, but it's like 2 miles up in the air and I can't hit it. There's also a random Korean guy standing straight up that I can't shoot (but I can walk through him).

I hate when this kind of shit happens. Really pulls you out of the experience. :(

Anyone know a cheat for flying?

edit - finally got him. I loaded the save once more and this time the helicopter fell out of the sky and into the ocean. I fired a rocket down into the depths and, boom, it exploded and chopter two came out to play. Hopefully I don't run into anything else like that...

dark10x

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's the downside to all the freedom; occasionally, the experience gets snagged.
Oh yeah, I know. Considering how open the game is, I'm surprised more issues haven't popped up. I was just pissed when it happened.

I think I know what triggered it as well. When I first reached the harbor, there was a copter tailing me. I hit him with one rocket and then, before I could do anything else, he simply flew away. I ignored it and continued playing. Eventually, I had to come back to the harbor to take out the ship and it seems that the first copter was the one that ended up in the sky. The game would not trigger the next one until that was taken care of.

OK guys I only just started playing this game and I have a few questions.

1. I did optimize the game for my PC and it comes out on the high setting. This is pretty good I think (my PC is like a 5,3 on the vista score). I don't think I'll miss a lot now that I can't use very high, right?

2. Still, when enemies start shooting I see this kind of slowdown, hard to explain, it's not really slowdown but not very smooth either, I kinda get a car-sickness feeling from it. Well I don't get it but I'd imagine I would get it after half an hour or so. How can I make sure this does not happen again? Does it have something to do with anti-analising? It's on 16 right now, is that a good number in your opinion?

3. I'm pretty shitty at killing enemies stealthy. I get caught immediately at a camp and then the shirt starts to happen, those fuckers kill me. How can I get better? Kinda funny question, laugh if you want but if anyone has good tips I'm all ears. Well, eyes.

Thanks!

Mad Max

Moz La Punk said:
1. I did optimize the game for my PC and it comes out on the high setting. This is pretty good I think (my PC is like a 5,3 on the vista score). I don't think I'll miss a lot now that I can't use very high, right?
2. Still, when enemies start shooting I see this kind of slowdown, hard to explain, it's not really slowdown but not very smooth either, I kinda get a car-sickness feeling from it. Well I don't get it but I'd imagine I would get it after half an hour or so. How can I make sure this does not happen again? Does it have something to do with anti-analising? It's on 16 right now, is that a good number in your opinion?

Turn off AA.

madmook

Any FSAA will bring your framerate down drastically, especially if you're on high/very high for the rest of the settings; most are resorting to turning it off just to maintain playable framerates. Even high-end GPUs are being humbled with this game. I'd recommend using edge AA instead of FSAA anyways, it makes the foliage and canopy look substantially better.

Bummer about the first patch, but hopefully it really does address some performance issues.

I played it without AA, dude it looks bad without it! Crysis actually looks bad! But then I turned it on again and got to the first enemy camp (at the beach when it starts to get daytime) and I played for one minute and almost puked all over my screen.

So I guess no AA for me :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Moz La Punk said:
I played it without AA, dude it looks bad without it! Crysis actually looks bad! But then I turned it on again and got to the first enemy camp (at the beach when it starts to get daytime) and I played for one minute and almost puked all over my screen.

So I guess no AA for me :lol

There's a link I posted earlier in the thread to a config that claims to be the current sweet spot. Might want to check it out.

dark10x

I must say once again, I love using a CRT with this game. :p

No need to resort to high resolutions for a fixed pixel display. 1024x768 with edge AA and 8x AF looks fantastic on a CRT and feels incredibly rich. My framerates are extremely smooth as a result even in the largest battles.

Ok, now this is just poor design. One or two "hold the fort" missions, that's fine, but the past half hour or so has been one such objective after the other. Did they run out of ideas or something?

dark10x said:
Damn it, I think I hit a bug or something.

I just took out that giant Korean Cruiser using the binocs and now I've been told to deend the harbor until the support arrives. Well, on my map, I can see a green dot over a helicopter flying around...but that heli doesn't actually exist in the game world. The air support (good guys) DO show up, one of them lands (and a bunch of guys jump out and start running around), while the others just keep flying around the area. During this point, the music is playing as if I should be fighting something...but the only thing I could fight is the invisible copter. So, yeah, I don't know how to get out of this one. :\

:lol I had that bug, the copter was at the bottom of the water. I just had to reload an older save and took out the copter right away before the bug kicked in.

dark10x

Chrono said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248941

I just took a look at that OP, but those pics really show a much better looking game than the demo. Hopefully Crytek is planing to release a patch when the new cards are out for the game to reach those visuals.
That may be so, but let's face it, those visuals are beyond reality. The final game can look very close, of course, but nobody can run it properly. Bumping up the visuals further is just unreasonable right now. I'm sure the engine could do it, though.

Ok, now this is just poor design. One or two "hold the fort" missions, that's fine, but the past half hour or so has been one such objective after the other. Did they run out of ideas or something?
How far are you? I haven't had a chance to play for a couple days (I just got into the tank).

Chrono

Banned
dark10x said:
That may be so, but let's face it, those visuals are beyond reality. The final game can look very close, of course, but nobody can run it properly. Bumping up the visuals further is just unreasonable right now. I'm sure the engine could do it, though.

Yeah would be unreasonable right now, but not if they do it when Nvidia releases a high end card that can handle it.

Crysis 2 will at least look like that though and 3 will probably be near photo-realistic.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:

Quad SLI 9800's with Blast Processing and Cell Processor for PC in 2008.

dark10x said:
How far are you? I haven't had a chance to play for a couple days (I just got into the tank).

Oh, I'm well ahead of you. I thought I was going to hate that tank bit, until I realized which game it was that I was playing and ditched the tank in favor of some commando shit.

This has been said, but damn it, it needs to be said again. This environment here

00000.jpg

God damn. Alien environments, that's nothing new in games, and some games like Resistance even do them real well. But this is something else.

Eh, finally got the Very High tweak to work in XP, and holy shit had I been missing out. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but the object motion blur as well as the motion blur on the gun and hands, that all pushes the experience up to a whole new level. And following a driver update, the performance is quite good even on my system. Awesome.

dark10x

Yeah, I've been using that from the start and it looks fantastic. I just made it to the area pictured above and can't believe how good it looks in person. Not only that, it mostly runs at ~60 fps. It just feels incredible. I love this game.

dark10x

OK, I'm seeing a strange motion blur glitch in DX9 and I'm wondering if there is a solution.

Obviously, object motion blur isn't enabled by default in DX9 mode and you do so by using r_motionblur 4. Now, most objects look just fine like this, but I noticed early on a few oddities. When climbing a ladder or driving, Nomad's hands would become strange looking (an "optic camo" like effect). This didn't bother me much, but it also seems to occur on the later enemies in the game. It looks kinda cool as they ARE unique to begin with, but I would like proper blur effects on them. Any idea why this is happening?

Here is a shot (look at the enemy towards the top).

crysis1-1.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Just got the Special Edition yesterday and only right now am I getting around to installing it. My wimpy little 8500GT (to be fair, it's factory overclocked to about twice the normal speeds) is gonna cry, but it managed the demo pretty well on lower settings.

The "artbook" is a skimpy little thing, ain't it? Oh well, it looks nice nonetheless.

Oh yeah, and just placing the DVD into the drive made my PC make these weird noises that sounded more like a VCR than a disk drive. At first I was scared shitless, but it turned out okay. That happen to anyone else?

madmook

Crushed said:
Oh yeah, and just placing the DVD into the drive made my PC make these weird noises that sounded more like a VCR than a disk drive. At first I was scared shitless, but it turned out okay. That happen to anyone else?
Does the same thing for me. Every single fucking time I put the disc in the drive it clicks around in there for like 30 seconds. The first time I put it in to install I thought my drive was malfunctioning. I believe it has something to do with the type of copy protection they use. Fuck EA.

BeeDog

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one having those click issues. I bought a new DVD burner a week ago (a Samsung one), and the Crysis disc is the only one that starts an incredibly annoying clicking sound for a while before it becomes active.

BeeDog said:
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one having those click issues. I bought a new DVD burner a week ago (a Samsung one), and the Crysis disc is the only one that starts an incredibly annoying clicking sound for a while before it becomes active.

No way! I thought my disc was somehow bad (though it looks fine) and have been trying to think of a way to exchange it, now I know not to worry I guess. FYI I have a Lite-On.

BeeDog

I had a NEC before my Samsung, and the Crysis disc didn't click at all in that one. Seems newer optical drives have an affinity to do the clickin' with the Crysis disc. So it's not because of the disc quality, something else's causing it.

gondwana

Question about the last stage:

Were you supposed to pick up the tac-gun before you go on the dock? I'm locked out from the armory with a big fucking alien and no nuke.:lol

Doc Evils

CurbYourEnthusiasm said:
Question about the last stage:

Were you supposed to pick up the tac-gun before you go on the dock? I'm locked out from the armory with a big fucking alien and no nuke.:lol

yes you n00b.

dark10x

BeeDog said:
Same here.

dark10x said:
OK, I'm seeing a strange motion blur glitch in DX9 and I'm wondering if there is a solution.

Obviously, object motion blur isn't enabled by default in DX9 mode and you do so by using r_motionblur 4. Now, most objects look just fine like this, but I noticed early on a few oddities. When climbing a ladder or driving, Nomad's hands would become strange looking (an "optic camo" like effect). This didn't bother me much, but it also seems to occur on the later enemies in the game. It looks kinda cool as they ARE unique to begin with, but I would like proper blur effects on them. Any idea why this is happening?

I hate you. I had never run into this issue before, but sure enough, after booting the game and playing for a bit I get the same crap (on some aliens). It wasn't consistent though.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
oh my god i just drove a pickup truck into a humvee, flipped it over and scared the shit out of a bunch of soldiers, turned invisible and got out of the truck, ran behind the humvee, jumped on top of it, and punched a korean in the face so hard that he died, stole his gun and shot the rest of them to death using the flipped truck as cover, blew up the trucks taking some of them out, got out and proceeded to punch a chicken in the anus, threw the chicken into another chicken, saw some guys behind sandbags and barbed wire, turned invisible and shot them pointblank in the face with shotguns, saw guys running down a mountain to help so i jumped up the entire mountain and threw a grenade right in front of them and blew them all up, then i jumped off the mountain into two more guys, shot one in the face with a shotgun, then grabbed the second one and punched him so hard that he died by hitting a tree ten feet away, which broke in half from the impact

and i accidentally killed a tortoise, i was trying to put it down but it forced me to throw when i went too far into the water, so i jumped up another mountain and created a grave out of hundred-pound metal canisters which i threw off the mountain

holy mother of god this game rules

number1jagsfan said:
I just got a new PC and am clueless about what settings I should run Crysis on, can anoyne help?

Intel Q6600
2 GB RAM
8800GT

Up to you, you can run it at high settings and get a great framerate or try very high and get a less stable fps that should average around 30.

Crushed said:
oh my god i just drove a pickup truck into a humvee, flipped it over and scared the shit out of a bunch of soldiers, turned invisible and got out of the truck, ran behind the humvee, jumped on top of it, and punched a korean in the face so hard that he died, stole his gun and shot the rest of them to death using the flipped truck as cover, blew up the trucks taking some of them out, got out and proceeded to punch a chicken in the anus, threw the chicken into another chicken, saw some guys behind sandbags and barbed wire, turned invisible and shot them pointblank in the face with shotguns, saw guys running down a mountain to help so i jumped up the entire mountain and threw a grenade right in front of them and blew them all up, then i jumped off the mountain into two more guys, shot one in the face with a shotgun, then grabbed the second one and punched him so hard that he died by hitting a tree ten feet away, which broke in half from the impact

and i accidentally killed a tortoise, i was trying to put it down but it forced me to throw when i went too far into the water, so i jumped up another mountain and created a grave out of hundred-pound metal canisters which i threw off the mountain

holy mother of god this game rules

I wish that's what it said on the back of the box. Yes, the whole thing.

Top Bottom