• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

rabhw

Didn't notice any performance improvement from the patch. I didn't benchmark, just loaded up some saves. It seems most people noticing improvements are on mid-range hardware, or running at a lower res than I am. Still drops really badly in some parts, still averaging around 15-18fps.

1920x1200 with DX10 at Very High

Q6600@3.0
4GB 2x2gb 5-4-4-12
8800Ultra @ Stock
P35C-DS3R

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Durante said:
Huh? What is your room temperature?
About 18c.

I dunno, that seemed awful cool to me (was just a quick estimate). Perhaps the sensor isn't picking things up properly? According to the BIOS and Speedfan, however, the temps are just that low. The air flowing out of my case is always very cool (cold even).

That doesn't make sense, though.

When I checked yesterday, Speedfan said:

CPU - 8C
System - 21C
Core 1 - 14C
Core 2 - 15C

rabhw

dark10x said:
About 18c.

I dunno, that seemed awful cool to me (was just a quick estimate). Perhaps the sensor isn't picking things up properly? According to the BIOS and Speedfan, however, the temps are just that low. The air flowing out of my case is always very cool (cold even).

CPU - 8C
System - 21C
Core 1 - 14C
Core 2 - 15C

Don't use Speedfan, use CoreTemp.

madmook

rabhw said:
Jeez... even with your specs, what'd you expect, 30+ fps constant? I don't even think the 98XX series (whenever it comes out) will be able to run those settings at 60 fps.

Davidion

dark10x said:
About 18c.

CPU - 8C
System - 21C
Core 1 - 14C
Core 2 - 15C

Way to totally defy the laws of thermodynamics. :lol :lol

Try Everest instead of speedfan, it's a solid program that has been serving me pretty well.

rabhw

madmook said:
Jeez... even with your specs, what'd you expect, 30+ fps constant? I don't even think the 98XX series (whenever it comes out) will be able to run those settings at 60 fps.

Yeah, when I actually played through the game I was using a custom config I found on the InCrysis forums. But when I want to marvel in Crysis glory (or in this case, test the performance patch) I cranked it.

dark10x

Davidion said:
Way to totally defy the laws of thermodynamics. :lol :lol

Try Everest instead of speedfan, it's a solid program that has been serving me pretty well.
Yeah, you're right, I wasn't even thinking. :p

I believe the actual temps are still very low, however, based on what my BIOS was reporting. Obviously not that low, however.

Borys

Banned
rabhw said:

Q6600@3.0
4GB 2x2gb 5-4-4-12
8800Ultra @ Stock
P35C-DS3R

Dude, that's overdoing it. Hell try to add 16xAA and 16xAF and then run your Crysis saves :p

You could probably just run Maya if you want to see your PC crawling like that.

(that's a Godsmachine you have there BTW)

dark10x said:
What are the rest of your specs, GB?

I've got a fantastic config file that, in my opinion, looks even nicer than DX10 Very High. All of the fancy effects are there (including object motion blur), yet it runs very smoothly. It's based on a couple of other configs out there, but I've tweaked it for maximum visual awesome.

Core 2 Duo 6600
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2GB DDR2 RAM

Running on 1280x1024 all high+custom, no AA

What's the best way to kill the damn matrix machines? I just got out of the caves with no ammo, took the assault rifle, pistol and shotgun on the ground, but they don't seem to be doing much and I wind up just grabbing and punching them, but then I get shot from the sides and die...

God's Beard said:
Core 2 Duo 6600
GeForce 8800 512MB
2GB DDR2 RAM

What's the best way to kill the damn matrix machines? I just got out of the caves with no ammo, took the assault rifle, pistol and shotgun on the ground, but they don't seem to be doing much and I wind up just grabbing and punching them, but then I get shot from the sides and die...

Single shot using the assault rifle, use a scope to give you some distance.

rabhw

Borys said:
Dude, that's overdoing it. You could probably just run Maya if you want to see your PC crawling like that.

Well, I upgraded with the hope of playing UT3 / Crysis smoothly. Only one of those panned out :(.

Now I wait for G100. Or at least a new part that isn't an incremental upgrade with a few more SP's.

Edit: I'd be interested in that cfg you mentioned dark10x. Care to up it somewhere?

Borys

Banned
rabhw said:
Well, I upgraded with the hope of playing UT3 / Crysis smoothly. Only one of those panned out :(.

sad face

I'm sorry for you, I really am. Couldn't you play Crysis in 1280x720 with AA on? It should run great in DX10 mode on your machine.

rabhw

Borys said:
sad face

I'm sorry for you, I really am. Couldn't you play Crysis in 1280x720 with AA on? It should run great in DX10 mode on your machine.

Well, my monitor is the Benq 24" FP241W so it's native res is 1920x1200. I can't play in non-native res without wanting to stab pencils into my eyeballs. It looks like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen. I have a nasty old 17" CRT setup beside this monitor but I only use that when I'm working not playing.

madmook

Can someone tell me where the anisotropic filtering setting is in the game, or where it is in the cvars? Does the game default to a certain AF setting? I don't see it in the in-game menus...

dark10x

Borys said:
sad face

It isn't worth it.

Trust me. DX10 in 720p runs perfectly fine on my machine, but I can make the game look as good or better in DX9 mode at a much higher framerate. The DX10 renderer just doesn't make any sense right now. The only flaw in DX9 is occurance of slight motion blur errors on certain objects (it looks correct most of the time, however). Oddly enough, I actually kind of like the appearance of the glitch on the later enemies as it gives them a more ethereal feel (the glitch makes certain objects appear as if they were using MGS style optic camo, basically).

I'll create some shots later on to demonstrate just how amazing the game can look with some tweaks.

AA is pretty useless right now, though. It really drains performance. 4x AA at 720p results in an unplayable framerate for me. Even a triple SLI would see a massive dip, I'm sure. It isn't worth the slight improvement. Using the built in ege AA, however, has a minor impact on performance and totally improves the look of all foliage. THAT makes a much larger difference.

Can someone tell me where the anisotropic filtering setting is in the game, or where it is in the cvars? Does the game default to a certain AF setting? I don't see it in the in-game menus...
It really isn't an option and doesn't even fully work in the game. Any surface using parallax occlusion mapping will see no benefit (it isn't compatible at the moment). Non-POM surfaces WILL improve, however, but those actually aren't common enough to matter. The ONLY place where I noticed the lack of AF was in the small lab you uncover in the third chapter (right before nightfall). The floor texture in there needed AF badly. The rest of the game doesn't really need any at this point (until it works with POM surfaces).

rabhw

dark10x said:
It isn't worth it.

Trust me. DX10 in 720p runs perfectly fine on my machine, but I can make the game look as good or better in DX9 mode at a much higher framerate. The DX10 renderer just doesn't make any sense right now. The only flaw in DX9 is occurance of slight motion blur errors on certain objects (it looks correct most of the time, however). Oddly enough, I actually kind of like the appearance of the glitch on the later enemies as it gives them a more ethereal feel (the glitch makes certain objects appear as if they were using MGS style optic camo, basically).

I'll create some shots later on to demonstrate just how amazing the game can look with some tweaks.

AA is pretty useless right now, though. It really drains performance. 4x AA at 720p results in an unplayable framerate for me. Even a triple SLI would see a massive dip, I'm sure. It isn't worth the slight improvement. Using the built in ege AA, however, has a minor impact on performance and totally improves the look of all foliage. THAT makes a much larger difference.

What's your monitor's native res? Or are you playing on a nice CRT *shakes fist*.

Surrender your CFG!

dark10x

rabhw said:
What's your monitor's native res? Or are you playing on a nice CRT *shakes fist*.

Surrender your CFG!
I play on both a nice NEC Mitsubishi CRT monitor or a Pioneer 5080 plasma. Both of them look fantastic with 1280x720. I wouldn't play Crysis on a high-resolution LCD.

It looks insane on the CRT as the screen is smaller, it's not fixed pixel, and I'm squeezing 1280x720 into letterbox mode. This creates a very rich image that doesn't even need anti-aliasing to look insanely smooth. It also looks fantastic on the Pioneer, though, but the lack of AA becomes a bit more obvious due to the 50" size.

I'll post a config later on (I'm not at home right now).

Doc Evils

Anyone else feel the patch made the game look better and feel smoother?

6pecrjk.jpg

6xaa8hx.jpg

8fe2xwy.jpg

7y4x654.jpg

72hnhol.jpg

6srau0i.jpg

73cbtas.jpg

80wwvnr.jpg

6qars07.jpg

82tmmiv.jpg

82vfst2.jpg

8aydwma.jpg

6u91ok5.jpg

They fixed the flickering shadows too.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Oh god looking at those screens really makes me sad :(

i just purchases crysis yesterday hoping that my god awful machine could atleast run it on low settings. Well it does but it looks like a wii game that runs at 20fps :(

I'm sure my x800pro started smoking from the stress...

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
I've started the game on Delta (6 hours in, are there other differences besides what's listed in the tooltip (less radar help, no cross-hairs, etc)?

Do enemies take more hits? Do you take less hits? Does the suit energy go down quicker? Stuff like that. Just wondering since I tend to start all FPS games on the highest difficulty setting.

These shots are from my game running in DX 9, 1680x1050 with shadows medium but everything on high including some mods to the cvars (rays of light, very high motion blur)

E6600 (stock)
EVGA 8800 GT 512 KO
2gig RAM
Windows XP SP2

images resized from above rez

80zkwt5.jpg

89jd2q9.jpg

7wsgppz.jpg

This last shot is running in DX9 on all high without modifications to cvars.

randomwab

Crysis is such a head ache on my rig. I've been getting different frame rates every time I play. The patch seemed to add a few frames when I tried it yesterday. Tonight, however, I was getting much lower fps. And most of the time, i'll get the same framerate, be it set to High at 1280x1024 or low 800x600 it'll usually come out at about 15-25 fps.

dark10x

I'll spend time later making better shots, but for now, here's a couple with my config...

crysis2.jpg

ScreenShot0001.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, I loaded the patch up. Now, after about 3 minutes of playing the game, the framerate drops to about 4 fps. If I alt-tab out of the game and back in, the framerate goes back up to about 25-30, then drops to 4-5 fps in about 20 seconds. This did not happen pre-patch.

Everything else works fine on my system, I booted up Ep2 and STALKER and they worked great.

This is in DX9, everything Medium except textures, on a 3.4ghz 8800GT w/ latest drivers.

dark10x

BTW, here's the config I'm using (I think it looks good, at least)...

con_restricted=0
r_MotionBlur=4
r_vsync=1
r_UsePOM=1
r_sunshafts=1
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_Renderer=3
r_colorgrading=1
r_useedgeaa=2
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=50
q_ShaderFX=1
r_VSync=1
d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
g_battleDust_enable = 1

---HDR---
r_HDRRendering = 2
r_HDRLevel = 1
r_HDRBrightOffset = 8f
r_HDRBrightThreshold = 3.5f

---SSAO---

r_SSAO = 1
r_ssao_quality = 2
r_ssao_radius = 2
r_ssao_amount = 0.15
r_ssao_darkening = 1.2
r_eyeadaptationfactor = 0.44

---BUDGETING---

sys_budget_sysmem = 3096
sys_budget_videomem = 512
sys_budget_numdrawcalls = 3000
sys_budget_frametime = 80
r_MultiGPU = 0

---CONFIG---

r_sunshafts = 1
r_Beams = 3
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.6
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 32
e_vegetation_bending = 2
e_particles_quality = 3
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen = 16
e_particles_lod = 1
r_UseSoftParticles=1
e_water_ocean_soft_particles = 1
e_particles_object_collisions = 1
e_foliage_wind_activation_dist = 45
g_breakage_particles_limit = 100
e_cull_veg_activation = 45
g_joint_breaking = 1
g_tree_cut_reuse_dist = 0
p_max_MC_iters = 2500
e_phys_foliage = 2
es_MaxPhysDist = 45
es_MaxPhysDistInvisible = 5
e_phys_ocean_cell = 1
p_max_object_splashes = 3
p_splash_dist0 = 7
p_splash_dist1 = 30
p_splash_force0 = 10
p_splash_force1 = 100
p_splash_vel0 = 4.5
p_splash_vel1 = 10
r_DepthOfField = 2
r_colorgrading = 1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier = 0.2
r_WaterGodRays = 1
r_LightsSinglePass = 0
r_ShadowBlur= 3
r_ShadowJittering = 1
r_WaterRefractions = 1
r_WaterReflections = 1
r_WaterUpdateFactor = 0.001
e_water_tesselation_amount = 5
e_water_tesselation_swath_width = 5
r_WaterUpdateDistance = 1
r_WaterCaustics = 1
r_WaterReflectionsQuality = 3
e_water_ocean_fft = 1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate = 1
e_sky_type = 1
e_sky_update_rate = 0.2
r_DetailTextures = 1
r_DetailNumLayers = 1
r_DetailDistance = 10
r_useedgeAA = 2
r_refraction = 1
e_ram_maps = 1
sys_flash_edgeaa = 1
e_vegetation_use_terrain_color = 1
e_terrain_ao = 1
e_terrain_normal_map = 1
e_max_entity_lights = 10
r_UsePom = 1
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 1
r_TexturesFilteringQuality = 1
r_HairSortingQuality = 1
r_FillLights = 10
e_particles_lights = 1

r_TexturesStreaming = 0
e_hw_occlusion_culling_objects = 1
e_hw_occlusion_culling_water = 1
r_geomInstancing = 1
gpu_particle_physics = 1
es_ondemandphysics = 1
e_vegetation_static_instancing = 1
e_particles_thread = 1
sys_physics_cpu = 1

dark10x

Also, some nicer shots I took. These are exactly as they appear in game (I did not downscale them or modify them). The game runs at a very smooth framerate using these setting.

ScreenShot0046.jpg

ScreenShot0042.jpg

ScreenShot0041.jpg

ScreenShot0034.jpg

ScreenShot0026.jpg

ScreenShot0022.jpg

ScreenShot0016.jpg

ScreenShot0052.jpg

The motion blur on the hands and weapons really makes all the difference in the world. Overall, the game takes a pretty impressive shit on the unfortunate gun on a stick standard.

Borys

Banned
It has been said a thousand times already but Jesus Crysis @ those screens.

This game is a graphical wonder :O

The last dark10x screen is like nothing I've seen before... like a postcard from Austria.

I kinda fear that nothing will top it untill Crysis 2.

Davidion

So after a break from Crysis for a while and going to finish other games, I started playing again tonight. As someone who likes to find the "right" method for completing games, the option that this game gives you almost stops me from going far because there's so many ways to go to complete an objective.

Unlike mission-based sandbox games like GTA, there's often never an obvious "hey look here's a vehicle that pops out of nowhere" solution to the problem. Case in point, there's an objective where you have to overtake a hilltop base. There's a main road leading to a bridge with two truck loads of guards and lots of sentry fire, firefight or bust through with a truck? There's a small cliff that you can scale with a path snaking down to a small stream and scaling the hilltop. And there's the path I took, which involved trudging through thickets of trees, reconnoitering the base from afar, then taking a max speed jump off of a cliff and landing clear in the river, just in time to swim ashore hide from the patrol helicopter and taking it out with a rocket launcher before wading through the patrols before arriving outside the base gates trying to figure which one of half a dozen ways I can go to take out the guards littering the yard.

This is of course all done while being almost blinded by the ridiculous sunset shining through the end of the valley.

81q6sgh.jpg

I need to muster enough attention span to play through this game one way without keep going back to the alternatives. :lol

Oh screw it, gratuitous plane crash shot!

7w7klsk.jpg

So are there any essential mods or tweaks that everyone should use?

I'm looking for a way to make the enemies speak Korean on all difficulties and a way to take away the static fuzz from the binoculars...

Also, how do you take screen shots aside from using print screen? I think I read somewhere that F12 does it, but where is the folder they're stored in?

Oh and how do you get the FPS number to appear on your HUD?

thanks

dark10x said:
Also, some nicer shots I took. These are exactly as they appear in game (I did not downscale them or modify them). The game runs at a very smooth framerate using these setting.

ScreenShot0046.jpg

What settings is this running on? (DX 10/Vista?)

traveler

Not Wario
urk said:

How about the 8800GTX? Is the performance difference there significant enough to warrant a purchase over the 8800GT? (No, I still haven't purchase my rig, despite having said as much in many threads over the past month)

Right now I'm sitting on this setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Dual-Core Processor - Retail - $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $55.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

but I'm thinking about changing those out for these:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

EVGA 768-P2-N835-A3 GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130307

Would (a) the performance difference be worth the money? And (b) would my power supply and mobo be able to handle it?

(My power supply is this:

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V
UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010

and my mobo is this:

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $126.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180 )

And, if it makes any difference to know, I plan using XP, not Vista, and I'm perfectly satisfied with 720p. I don't need the highest resolution possible.

filopilo

Boring game of the year.I wonder if it crawls not because of graphics ,but because AI and physics are so heavily competing for buggy behavior.

Proc

filopilo said:
Boring game of the year.I wonder if it crawls not because of graphics ,but because AI and physics are so heavily competing for buggy behavior.

I wonder if your mother dropped you on the left or right side of the head.

edit: i mean :lol

traveler said:
How about the 8800GTX? Is the performance difference there significant enough to warrant a purchase over the 8800GT? (No, I still haven't purchase my rig, despite having said as much in many threads over the past month)

Right now I'm sitting on this setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Dual-Core Processor - Retail - $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $55.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

but I'm thinking about changing those out for these:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

EVGA 768-P2-N835-A3 GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130307

Would (a) the performance difference be worth the money? And (b) would my power supply and mobo be able to handle it?

(My power supply is this:

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V
UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010

and my mobo is this:

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $126.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180 )

And, if it makes any difference to know, I plan using XP, not Vista, and I'm perfectly satisfied with 720p. I don't need the highest resolution possible.

You might want to consider waiting for Penryn which comes out later this month.

traveler

Not Wario
CrookedRain said:
You might want to consider waiting for Penryn which comes out later this month.

I didn't even think about that. I think I will put it off a bit longer. (I'm never gonna get around to buying this thing, am I? I've had $2200 set aside for a gaming rig for a whole year now and have still yet to push the button. :lol )

dark10x

Solideliquid said:
What settings is this running on? (DX 10/Vista?)
No sir. That is running on DX9 with the above settings (that I posted). Runs at a very smooth framerate too and those shots are untouched originals.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
traveler said:
How about the 8800GTX? Is the performance difference there significant enough to warrant a purchase over the 8800GT?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=9

Same article under the heading "Getting Cocky."

You'll get better performance from the GTX, but you're talking a handful of frames. I don't think it's worth the cost increase. Check the charts for yourself.

dark10x said:
No sir. That is running on DX9 with the above settings (that I posted). Runs at a very smooth framerate too and those shots are untouched originals.

Looks great. Thanks for the settings. By smooth framerate, I assume you're talking around 30? I seem to teeter at about 35 or so at 1280x720. Looks incredible.

Top Bottom