• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

sajj316

Neuromancer said:
It's the same as every XBLA/GOD game. You can play it offline but only on the console it's registered to (the one you downloaded it on).
Thanks. I haven't downloaded a single XBLA or GOD game. Wasn't aware of the policy.

mickcenary said:
So, general consensus... 360 version is the one to go for?

Whelp, based on most of this generation, and Crysis 2 coming out just months ago running on the same engine, I think it's a safe bet the 360 will be slightly better.

Digital Foundry will do a full breakdown within a few days though.

Quick random question: Is this the first XBLA release to have a full achievement list? Especially at it's $20 price point.

BruiserBear said:
Whelp, based on most of this generation, and Crysis 2 coming out just months ago running on the same engine, I think it's a safe bet the 360 will be slightly better.

Quick random question: Is this the first XBLA release to have a full achievement list? Especially at it's $20 price point.

It's not XBLA it's Games On Demand. Games on Demand games get full achievement lists, RE4 which was also GoD exclusive had 1000 points.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BruiserBear said:

It's not a XBLA release, it's a Game on Demand release.

edit - beaten :-(

KageMaru

BruiserBear said:

It's not a XBLA game :)

See You Next Wednesday said:

Since recovering my gamertag didn't work, it just locked that achievement up instead of updating my achievement progress, I deleted the game from my achievement list while also deleting my game save and HDD cache (which really shouldn't have any effect here).

Loaded up a new game and picked up the turtle at the beginning. Once I did this, the achievement popped up again and it was properly updated this time.

Odd how I can give two shits about achievements, but my OCD would have driven me crazy to see that unlocked cheevo icon without any points to show for it.

Edit:

Or try AEREC's suggestion since it's similar to mine.

AEREC said:
Recover gamertag and deleted Crysis save file....is how I fixed my issue.

Inferno313 said:
It's not XBLA it's Games On Demand. Games on Demand games get full achievement lists, RE4 which was also GoD exclusive had 1000 points.

Oh weird. Did not know that. Thanks.

So RE4 was the first exclusive GoD game?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
KageMaru said:
It's not a XBLA game :)

Odd how I can give two shits about achievements, but my OCD would have driven me crazy to see that unlocked cheevo icon without any points to show for it.

Yeah I'm similar, I don't care too much about achievements but if they are in the game I want them to work, like you say, having them pop up on the screen but not be added to your online profile is just annoying.

Curufinwe

Technically RE 4 HD and RE CVX HD were released on disc in Japan, but at this point MS can and will put any game on GoD that they and the publisher agree too.

pa.200191.1.jpg

Broman1978

Downloading the Xbox360 version as we speak =)
My my my... How will I have time for all gaming right now=P
Work+Family+Battlefield 3 Beta+Gears of War 3+2 free games on PSN Plus this week+Forza 4 next week+ Now Crysis

Apocryphon

cjtiger300 said:
so, how long is this game? I am thinking about picking it up on PSN.

I just got to the carrier, playing on Delta. I'm 7 hours in and have about another hour to go iirc. I've played through the campaign multiple times on PC, so first time players will take longer, especially playing on Delta.

Really impressed with how well it holds up. Hopefully they'll release warhead too.

xemumanic

I'm just flat amazed at how well this game runs (at least on the 360). It truly runs better than my 9800gtx+ did 3 years ago at 720p. Totally gonna have to sit and beat the game again.

So hurry up and bring us Crysis: Warhead!

I wouldn't be mad if you saw fit to bring both of these CryEngine 3 ports to PC Crytek, I'd buy em again.

Not a crazy fan of Warhead as it really is Crysis on a budget

That being said, it has some AMAZING music. Definitely prefer it over Crysis2 and on par with regular Crysis.

CozMick

Banned
Are my eyes deceiving me or does the PS3 version look better than the vanilla PC version bar the resolution and framerate?

It looks bloody spectacular and the new lighting engine really improves the visuals.

The foliage is reduced on consoles but the lod swaps and pop-in at a distance are no where near as aggressive as PC.

But why the slow walk speed?

Also someone mentioned previously in this thread that there ain't no "pick up weapon" animation....there is :\

Well done Crytek, now give me Warhead!

CozMick said:
Are my eyes deceiving me or does the PS3 version look better than the vanilla PC version bar the resolution and framerate?

It looks bloody spectacular and the new lighting engine really improves the visuals.

The foliage is reduced on consoles but the lod swaps and pop-in at a distance are no where near as aggressive as PC.

Also someone mentioned previously in this thread that there ain't no "pick up weapon" animation....there is :\

Yup, the pick up animation is the same as it was on PC when grabbing ammo. The game is intact which blows me away.

iavi

BruiserBear said:

This isn't an xbla release. It's a Games on Demand release and they're allowed to have more than the 200 chievos that xbla games are.

e: beaten, and I'm not even the first to be, lol.

Vol5

CozMick said:

Bought.

PnCIa

God damnit i can´t decide which version to get...DigitalFoundry hurry up i want to know which console got the better looking game. In the videos i´ve seen so far they look identical to me, might not be true due to compression though.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Somehow framerate and resolution become meaningless when comparing consoles to PC nowadays.
Consoles will never be able to compete with these things. I wouldn't say it's "meaningless," only that it's a given.

On consoles you either get the pretty graphics or the good performance, it's not often you can have both. But console players are satisfied with what they have -- this should be obvious as it is inherent to their choice of gaming platform.

So the immediate eye-popping things like lighting and environment detail are noticed more, and the technical stuff like frame rate and resolution are swept under the rug.

Zen

Banned
BruiserBear said:

I don't know, it's highly arguable that the PS3 version had the edge over the 360 version of Crysis 2. It had more lighting effects, alledgedly had some better texture (or it might have been the 360 suffering from pop in), and ran at a better active framerate than the 360 version, which is far more important than the 360 having a framerate edge when nothing was happening. Sure it was a bit muddier because of the lower resolution, but it held up much better during the action than the 360 did.

PnCIa said:
God damnit i can´t decide which version to get...DigitalFoundry hurry up i want to know which console got the better looking game. In the videos i´ve seen so far they look identical to me, might not be true due to compression though.

Lol, exactly what i was thinking. But hey? I just downloaded the Xbox 360 version, the wait for DF is killing me... I hope i have made ​​the right decision.

DarkChild

Banned
PnCIa said:
360 runs at higher resolution. Should be pretty close.

DarkChild

Banned
amdnv said:
Have you watched this in 1080? 360 is a blur fest in comparison.
I wrote "360 holds its own" and I meant that more in lighting/post processing way. Its well known fact that consoles will never output native 1080p with 16xMSAA, but graphically, it really surprises me how they got the job done.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
Somehow framerate and resolution become meaningless when comparing consoles to PC nowadays.
Those two things are kind of a given, though.

Also, image quality is less of a factor in many cases. On my 50" plasma viewed from 8ft, even sub-HD games still produce a clean and smooth image. You can definitely see a nice increase when jumping to 1080p, but the difference isn't as profound as it may seem.

When sitting directly in front of a large monitor, however, the difference is truly night and day. I'm using a 27" monitor for my PC and 1280x720 (or worse) is painful on there. On my plasma, though? It still looks pretty great. In fact, when I play Crysis, I often drop the resolution a bit in order to maintain 60 fps with the highest settings. 1080p Very High DX10 still doesn't hold 60 for me.

For what it's worth, these crops are from the 1080p Youtube video, in which the 360 "held its own".
So you're saying it doesn't "hold its own"? Come now, you can't expect the system to deliver Crysis at 1080p. That's just not possible. What we get is a very playable version of the game with many of the graphical bells and whistles reserved for the highest PC settings along with some cutbacks that were required due to system limitations. For 7 year old hardware, I'd say it is performing very well.

In that example? The PC has a higher resolution and a bit of extra detail, but I actually prefer the lighting in the 360 shot.

PnCIa

DarkChild said:
360 runs at higher resolution. Should be pretty close.
Well do you know this for a fact? :) No offense, i just couldn´t really see any obvious differences in terms of sharpness, not on screenshots or in videos.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
Lol, exactly what i was thinking. But hey? I just downloaded the Xbox 360 version, the wait for DF is killing me... I hope i have made ​​the right decision.
Must...hold...out ;D
Actually i can´t believe that they made such drastic improvments to the PS3 version of the engine in such a short time, but you never know.

amdnv said:
For what it's worth, these crops are from the 1080p Youtube video, in which the 360 "held its own".

Of course the PC version looks better on a good rig, it doesn't take an IQ of an ant to realize that.

Zen said:
I don't know, it's highly arguable that the PS3 version had the edge over the 360 version of Crysis 2. It had more lighting effects, alledgedly had some better texture (or it might have been the 360 suffering from pop in), and ran at a better active framerate than the 360 version, which is far more important than the 360 having a framerate edge when nothing was happening. Sure it was a bit muddier because of the lower resolution, but it held up much better during the action than the 360 did.

I think it's only debatable amongst people who want it to be debatable. They take a couple words from the Digital Foundry article and make what they want out of them.

He said the 360 version ran smoother most of the time, but in the heaviest of action scenes the PS3 versions framerate didn't plunge quite as low. Big deal. I'd rather have the game that is smoother for 90% of the time, then the one that is slightly more smooth during that other %10. Not to mention the 360 version of Crysis 2 looked cleaner, crisper, and didn't have a stretched hud.

Monarch

Banned
You shouldn't be worried about Crysis PS360 performance

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1077429/crysis_consoles_and_crytek_cevat_yerli_interview.html

It almost seems as if Crysis 2 came about as a result of your research into bringing the first game to consoles. Is that right?

No, it’s the other way around. Our research into Crysis 2 has resulted in the first game coming to consoles. Without Crysis 2, we probably wouldn’t have had Crysis on consoles. Most people aren’t aware of this, but Crysis 2 is actually pushing more textures and data than the first game.

Would you say that technically, that Crysis 2 is the superior game on all formats?

Not from all angles, but in regard to the amount of texture detail per frame, Crysis 2 is like two or three times more intense than Crysis. However, the first game offers greater horizontal play space, and this also takes a lot of memory.

When we discovered we were dealing with more textures but less space in Crysis 2, we said, “OK, maybe we can actually deal with more space but less textures on consoles.” So when we went about to try it with the original Crysis on consoles, it actually worked very well, because we had more, smart ways of dealing with memory management.

Red

You know, I never really considered it when it was on PC, but I'd really love co-op in Crysis. Just a random thought.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
amdnv said:

mud-galore1u3k.jpg

This picture proves why nobody should give a damn about any of this hardware comparison bullshit. The 360 version looks nothing like this image.

If you like video games, play some. If you like pixels and technical effects, play with that shit but stay away from my hobby. The game looks great on 360. It slows down occasionally but is perfectly playable, especially for people who never got to play it otherwise.

Top Bottom