• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Zen

Banned
BruiserBear said:
I think it's only debatable amongst people who want it to be debatable. They take a couple words from the Digital Foundry article and make what they want out of them.

He said the 360 version ran smoother most of the time, but in the heaviest of action scenes the PS3 versions framerate didn't plunge quite as low. Big deal. I'd rather have the game that is smoother for 90% of the time, then the one that is slightly more smooth during that other %10. Not to mention the 360 version of Crysis 2 looked cleaner, crisper, and didn't have a stretched hud.

It was never presented at some 90/10 split as you are suggesting. He said that the 360 version had the framerate advantage when nothing was going on, but under active scenes and then the heaviest scenes, the PS3 version never fell as far.

When you look at the actual framerate recordings it shows that the PS3 version held up much better under every action scene or firefight, not just things like the nightime car sequence (where the 360 version falls off a cliff) and was decribed as almost unplayable on the 360.

The PS3 version is much more playable because of this, and that's far more important than a very small resolution difference between the two sub HD versions and a stretched hud.

Having played both, the PS3 version provides the better experience, even if it's slightly muddier. The 360 had a passive framerate advantage under every circumstance and the PS3 has an active framerate advantage under every circumstance.

Digital-Hero said:
I forgot how cheesy the music was in Crysis 1.
Yo man, don't diss my video. :)lol)

No, I agree. I kinda liked Crysis 2's OST better, too.

Also, apart from the god-awful slow running speed, this game is still so awesome. Lovin' it.

feel

Seriously, how do you jog faster without activating sprint?? Seems like I'm in the wrong suit mode or something. I even keep checking if I'm crouching because is just waaay too slow. This can't be right I must be doing something wrong.

Game looks and feels pretty incredible otherwise. So weird that this is such a quiet DD release.

amdnv said:
For what it's worth, these crops are from the 1080p Youtube video, in which the 360 "held its own".
nothing32.jpg

Letters said:
Seriously, how do you jog faster without activating sprint?? Seems like I'm in the wrong suit mode or something. I even keep checking if I'm crouching because is just waaay too slow. This can't be right I must be doing something wrong.

Game looks and feels pretty incredible.
They fucked up the running speed. It was way too slow in Crysis 2, too.

You can "sprint" normally by activating Armor Mode or Cloak Mode, though those drain your suit energy too. Still, they shouldn't have touched the regular movement speed, it was perfect in Crysis 1. Dammit, I played Crysis 2 yesterday and compared to that, this feels even slower.

Letters said:

Game looks and feels pretty incredible otherwise. So weird that this is such a quiet DD release.
I think that's how it's supposed to be. o_O

I just keep sprinting even after my energy is all gone. You still move pretty fast. It replenishes fast enough afterwards though.

Wait. I just shot a car in that gas canister thingy... It just burned a little, but it didn't blow up. Why didn't it blow up? :eek:

EDIT: And then I reverted and shot it again... And now it blows up. Weird.

Haunted

dark10x said:
For 7 year old hardware, I'd say it is performing very well.
Backhanded compliment.

Looks great... for a console game. We used to have to qualify that for Wii only, but it's true that the PS360 are at that same stage where you simply have to qualify these statements.

Definitely cool to see what Crytek managed to get out of the ol' bucket, though!

As usual with multi-plat releases (well, it is one now!), I urge everyone to get the PC version for the best experience. :)

amdnv said:
For what it's worth, these crops are from the 1080p Youtube video, in which the 360 "held its own".

Bishoptl, Bishoptl, Bishoptl.
Nirolak, Nirolak, Nirolak.
Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.
Stumpokapow, Stumpokapow, Stumpokapow.

Hopefully one of these will work.

arena08

Haunted said:
As usual with multi-plat releases (well, it is one now!), I urge everyone to get the PC version for the best experience. :)

You're probably right, but have you played it on console? I don't think you can just whip out statements like that unless you've played both.

Haunted

arena08 said:
You're probably right, but have you played it on console? I don't think you can just whip out statements like that unless you've played both.
You're right, I'm probably right.

TUROK

Zen said:
Having played both, the PS3 version provides the better experience, even if it's slightly muddier. The 360 had a passive framerate advantage under every circumstance and the PS3 has an active framerate advantage under every circumstance.
Personally, I'd give up the resolution advantage the 360 version has in order to have the game running at an acceptable framerate. In fact, that's what Crytek should have done for the 360 version.

Grisby

Watched some videos. Looks great and Ill be getting it when the release season dwindles down a bit. Can't wait to enjoy it on my comfy couch, :D

KKRT00

amdnv said:

http://www.abload.de/img/mud-galore1u3k.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Recompressed image vs yt compression of downsampled direct feed, nice comparison You got here :)

Yt is not a way to compare IQ, details or even effects. That is why i hope that someone with capture card would upload high quality footage on [url]http://blip.tv/[/url]
And where are more shots? :> Guys we are still waiting! :)

feel

Blue Ninja said:
They fucked up the running speed. It was way too slow in Crysis 2, too.

You can "sprint" normally by activating Armor Mode or Cloak Mode, though those drain your suit energy too. Still, they shouldn't have touched the regular movement speed, it was perfect in Crysis 1. Dammit, I played Crysis 2 yesterday and compared to that, this feels even slower.
Wow. That's embarassing that the game doesn't let you jog/run, and you're either walking or you're moving really fast with a locked animation that doesn't let you aim and look around. Not sure if I'll get used to this, it just feels so clunky and restraining to explorw like this, what a shame.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
arena08 said:
I've beaten both and I can state that PC is the best possible experience. If you don't have a PC this is just fine.

Duallusion

Blue Ninja said:
Wait. I just shot a car in that gas canister thingy... It just burned a little, but it didn't blow up. Why didn't it blow up? :eek:

EDIT: And then I reverted and shot it again... And now it blows up. Weird.

Yeah, it's quite buggy. I've seen a radio hovering in the air, soldier fixing a car from outside the garage, glichy animation/limbs, random flickering, lots of clipping, etc. But damn, I'm having so much fun. I love it when a game let's me be a predator sniper without having to be super-stealthy (I suck at stealth).

When I finish this, I'll dive straight into Crysis 2. These two will be my FPS fix, replacing Rage.

This game is exactly what I thought Far Cry 2 was going to be. I can actually hide in bushes and not have enemies spot me. Awesome! Doing a stealth run through on Delta and really having fun.

KageMaru

Zen said:
I don't know, it's highly arguable that the PS3 version had the edge over the 360 version of Crysis 2. It had more lighting effects, alledgedly had some better texture (or it might have been the 360 suffering from pop in), and ran at a better active framerate than the 360 version, which is far more important than the 360 having a framerate edge when nothing was happening. Sure it was a bit muddier because of the lower resolution, but it held up much better during the action than the 360 did.

Other than the slightly higher frame rate during intense scenes, none of this is true.

JB1981

KageMaru said:
Other than the slightly higher frame rate during intense scenes, none of this is true.
Agreed. Crysis 360 framerate is not as bad as he claims and looked quite a bit sharper than PS3.

JB1981 said:
Agreed. Crysis 360 framerate is not as bad as he claims and looked quite a bit sharper than PS3.
i do personally value minimum framerate higher than average framerate... so i think he's making a fair point there.

it isn't about how often the framerate drops it's about WHEN it drops, and if it drops when you're in the toughest situations, yeah... i'll take the version that averages 27 fps over the version that averages 30 if under intense fire i'm only dropping to 20 to 25 fps instead of 15 to 20.

personally, once a game hits 20 and lower, i can't play the fucking thing. it's a big reason of why i hate most benchmarking sites.

Crysis on Xbox 360, so far, seems to stay where i can play it framerate wise, and that was playing in 3D... but i haven't hit any of the more intense areas yet.

I always wanted to play this game on console! Now i can, i never expected this. Thank you Cevet Yerli, you are no joke. Here are some first impressions.

- graphics are very good, picture quality is absolutely crisp! It's not sub-HD looking, i find the image quality better than Crysis 2 on 360!
- framerate is stable so far, gameplay feels smooth
- You can see some pop-in but it is imo not very disturbing
- Overall sound is top notch, very immersive and the weapons feel good!

I am very pleased with the console version! See you guys later...

KageMaru

plagiarize said:
i do personally value minimum framerate higher than average framerate... so i think he's making a fair point there.

it isn't about how often the framerate drops it's about WHEN it drops, and if it drops when you're in the toughest situations, yeah... i'll take the version that averages 27 fps over the version that averages 30 if under intense fire i'm only dropping to 20 to 25 fps instead of 15 to 20.

personally, once a game hits 20 and lower, i can't play the fucking thing. it's a big reason of why i hate most benchmarking sites.

Crysis on Xbox 360, so far, seems to stay where i can play it framerate wise, and that was playing in 3D... but i haven't hit any of the more intense areas yet.

I have no issue with his claims regarding the frame rate, I was merely commenting on the talk of the ps3 version having more lighting effects and (possibly) better textures.

Personally I didn't have an issue with the frame rate on the 360 version since I primarily played the game like a ninja and stealth killed everyone.

DarkChild

Banned
Zen said:
It was never presented at some 90/10 split as you are suggesting. He said that the 360 version had the framerate advantage when nothing was going on, but under active scenes and then the heaviest scenes, the PS3 version never fell as far.

When you look at the actual framerate recordings it shows that the PS3 version held up much better under every action scene or firefight, not just things like the nightime car sequence (where the 360 version falls off a cliff) and was decribed as almost unplayable on the 360.

The PS3 version is much more playable because of this, and that's far more important than a very small resolution difference between the two sub HD versions and a stretched hud.

360 version was better. When there was firefight 360 version held better, but in two very physics heavy sequences 360 dropped frames more than PS3. I'll take general frame rate advantage and better IQ over couple frame drops any day of the week.

DarkChild said:
360 version was better. When there was firefight 360 version held better, but in two very physics heavy sequences 360 dropped frames more than PS3. I'll take general frame rate advantage and better IQ over couple frame drops any day of the week.

That's what I meant earlier when I talked about a 90/10 split. In reality it might even be a 95/5 split.

Zen said:

I disagree and I captured PS3 footage for my youtube yesterday. I played both as well and see the Xbox 360 as the more stable. (Just like Crysis 2)

Overall, I see them both as solid ports and worth buying for anyone who hasn't played or wants to play Crysis 1 again.

EagleEyes

Digital-Hero said:
I disagree and I captured PS3 footage for my youtube yesterday. I played both as well and see the Xbox 360 as the more stable. (Just like Crysis 2)

Overall, I see them both as solid ports and worth buying for anyone who hasn't played or wants to play Crysis 1 again.
I think he was talking about Crysis 2. And he is wrong about it anyways.

DarkChild

Banned
sajj316 said:
Who is right and who is wrong .. we need a DF comparison asap.
He is talking about Zed being wrong about Crysis 2. Crysis 1 has better performance on both consoles, but its practically same resolution and AA, they added POM in console version this time around though.

Lol. Third mission, was surveying that small village near the water. I open fire on the soldiers there with my Precision Rifle when I heard those familiar rotors hum behind me. I turn around, whip out my Rocket Launcher, take aim, and fire. The rocket proceeds to arc up, hit the chopper in the tail, not only making it explode, but also sending it crashing down to the ground at a near improbable speed. It hits the dirt, sliding forward faster than a NASCAR car, chops down nearly every tree in its path, flies over the edge and lands right next to the Korean troopers in the village.

Fucking amazing. :lol

sajj316

DarkChild said:
He is talking about Zed being wrong about Crysis 2. Crysis 1 has better performance on both consoles, but its practically same resolution and AA, they added POM in console version this time around though.

Ya, should have worded that a bit better. I understand what Zen is talking about with respect to Crysis 2 performance under duress. The PS3 version didn't drop to 14-18 fps consistently like the 360 did. Those frames do make a difference. 360 obviously has the edge in resolution and type of AA used. I guess it all comes down to preference after looking at the positives and negatives and each version. Something like a stretched HUD doesn't bother me as much as frame drops.

Good to hear that Crysis performance is good on both consoles. I'm still waiting to see an analysis.

BruiserBear said:
Can anyone confirm the achievements are working as they should? I've seen a few reports now of people saying they're glitched.
Yes they are working (for me.) Showing up both on the console and Xbox.com.

scitek

I'll tell you why I want this on PC. To have the updated lighting, better optimization, ALONG with the texture mods. Seriously, holy shit.

Nizz

Digital-Hero said:

Looks like Lens Of Truth linked your videos to a post on their site. http://www.lensoftruth.com/crysis-1-ps3-gameplay-footage/

Blue Ninja said:
Lol. Third mission, was surveying that small village near the water. I open fire on the soldiers there with my Precision Rifle when I heard those familiar rotors hum behind me. I turn around, whip out my Rocket Launcher, take aim, and fire. The rocket proceeds to arc up, hit the chopper in the tail, not only making it explode, but also sending it crashing down to the ground at a near improbable speed. It hits the dirt, sliding forward faster than a NASCAR car, chops down nearly every tree in its path, flies over the edge and lands right next to the Korean troopers in the village.

Fucking amazing. :lol
That sounds awesome. :0 I really want to get my hands on this game. I traded in a bunch of old games to Amazon for some credit. I won't get much (close to $12.00) but I'll see if I could use that towards a PSN card from them.

Think I ran across a bug in the third mission, though. All the music suddenly cut out, and wouldn't start playing. I still remember a particular track playing in the PC version, but it was nowhere to be found here.

Then again, I also seem to recall the "Jump" theme from the start of the game appearing in the second mission when the tanks appear, but it was missing here, too.

purple cobra said:
That sounds awesome. :0 I really want to get my hands on this game. I traded in a bunch of old games to Amazon for some credit. I won't get much (close to $12.00) but I'll see if I could use that towards a PSN card from them.
Went back to the same area a bit later, spent half an hour playing hide-and-seek with another helicopter as I searched around the little houses for a Rocket Launcher. :lol

Top Bottom