• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

xJavonta

Banned
Not much need for that now, with the fps limiter!
True, but I can't tell if it's working or not lol

Eventually got RadeonPro working so all's well
Cube uses between 50-70% CPU at any one time and speeds up all the fans to the point where I can hear them through headphones.

Limiting the FPS doesn't seem to have a huge affect sadly.

Yeah it doesn't help that I have an i3 and I'm running a server at the same time as the client. I wish it was a little more conservative but this junk comes with alpha software :/

xJavonta

Banned
This game kicked my arse within the first 5 minutes. I spawn and Skull Bear and... 4 minutes of being chased relentlessly. Death.

The beginning is hell, I agree. But stick with it and you'll be glad you did.

Also, play with friends. Played with 4 people and had a blast. Trying to figure out how to remove the server cap right now...

I can totally see the appeal behind this game, even though it's batting me all over. I thought it was going to be an updated Minecraft clone, and I'm happy I was wrong. It is it's own game.

A nice 'old school' type adventure game. I'm happy to support it.

I'm really happy i bought this, im loving it

Just waiting on a mac client so my wife can join me and we can go adventuring together

Its gonna be great

Amici

Is this worth paying 20 USD for? The game looks frickin' awesome but I'm very hesitant to give up that price for something that seems to be lacking content. Also I'd probably be playing alone most of the time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is this worth paying 20 USD for? The game looks frickin' awesome but I'm very hesitant to give up that price for something that seems to be lacking content. Also I'd probably be playing alone most of the time.

20 bucks to get in now and updates for life. Not too bad of a deal. Considering the game will be more expensive at launch.

20 bucks is a fire & forget amount really. That and just think your money goes towards funding work on said title, literally.

Amici

20 bucks to get in now and updates for life. Not too bad of a deal. Considering the game will be more expensive at launch.

20 bucks is a fire & forget amount really. That and just think your money goes towards funding work on said title, literally.

I'll think about it LOL. Thanks for the quick reply. It looks really great though.

Parakeetman

I'll think about it LOL. Thanks for the quick reply. It looks really great though.

Its a pretty unique title Ill give it that. At least you have something to mess with now and if you get bored, walk away for a while come back and see how its evolved later.

I did the same with minecraft and still to this day dont regret buying in early.

VandalD

I've already gotten bored of it while playing alone, though I did play quite a bit. But that's not to say I won't go back to it later. I'm looking forward to updates.

ZZMitch

What pets do you guys use? I have a horse and squirrel right now. The horse is higher level but I feel like squirrels are better in combat. I wish there were stats or something I could look at for my pets to determine which to use!

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
What pets do you guys use? I have a horse and squirrel right now. The horse is higher level but I feel like squirrels are better in combat. I wish there were stats or something I could look at for my pets to determine which to use!

Early on I was using a spitter or turtle. At this point their damage isn't that important for me. So I went with the most charming animal in existence.

7Rjxh7y.png

Parakeetman

I had one of those beetles that spit, pretty useful having a ranged buddy to help with damage as the melee pets usually get turned into kibbles n bits pretty fast lol

DSix

Banned
I've been wandering aimlessly with my brother, taking on any mobs without noticing the importance of name colors. No need to say we had a mixed experience with our Berserker and Fire Mage. We were miserable.

So today I restarted a solo game, but this time I read some advices from the cubeworld forum. I rolled a rogue ninja in world seed 12345, this time knowing I have to avoid some orange and every red names, and taking on blue dungeons only.
I had an absolute blast, the 12345 world is much more beginner friendly, and the ninja class is great fun to play with the dodge and all that. In no time I could take on some named boss and dungeons and be a general badass.

That's my recommendation for beginners:
World Seed: 12345, some great low level dungeons and places (the first easier named place is dead on west of the city, it's called Darami Canyon, don't stop at Kurkor Palace).
Class: either Rogue Spec Ninja or Ranger Spec Scout (if you prefer ranged combat)

I recommend playing ninja with a 2 handed long sword, it does much better against crowds.
Avoid warriors at all cost for now, they're the weakest and most frustrating class currently, especially solo or with just 2 players.

I wish I knew all of that at the start.

BooJoh

I've been wandering aimlessly with my brother, taking on any mobs without noticing the importance of name colors. No need to say we had a mixed experience with our Berserker and Fire Mage. We were miserable.

So today I restarted a solo game, but this time I read some advices from the cubeworld forum. I rolled a rogue ninja in world seed 12345, this time knowing I have to avoid some orange and every red names, and taking on blue dungeons only.
I had an absolute blast, the 12345 world is much more beginner friendly, and the ninja class is great fun to play with the dodge and all that. In no time I could take on some named boss and dungeons and be a general badass.

That's my recommendation for beginners:
World Seed: 12345, some great low level dungeons and places (the first easier named place is dead on west of the city, it's called Darami Canyon, don't stop at Kurkor Palace).
Class: either Rogue Spec Ninja or Ranger Spec Scout (if you prefer ranged combat)

I recommend playing ninja with a 2 handed long sword, it does much better against crowds.
Avoid warriors at all cost for now, they're the weakest and most frustrating class currently, especially solo or with just 2 players.

I wish I knew all of that at the start.

Actually, a Prot warrior with a two-handed weapon plays fairly similar to a Ninja, just hits harder and slower, and has tons of HP. I found it pretty easy. Ninja has the advantage of handling crowds very well though.

r1chard

Absolutely loving this game, but am having a heck of a time trying to run a server for myself and a friend.

I've got the server running on the same machine I run on, with port forwarding from my router and all firewalls turned off (I could not get Windows Firewall to pass through the traffic no matter what I tried).

In two days I've had both a great experience and a terrible one. On the first day I set up the server we played for about 3 hours having an absolute blast. Some occasional lag teleports but nothing serious.

Then yesterday we tried again and it was all just sheer frustration. After a minute (or less) we would seem to be disconnected from the server. We'd both still be playing, but we couldn't see each other and while she could do stuff, it was apparent that she was only modifying a local instance of the world, and I couldn't do anything (no fighting, no picking things up). It's like the world becomes immutable for me.

Even when I'm the only player connected to the local server this still happens after a minute or so.

Anyone got any ideas?

r1chard

Figured out my server problem last night. Even though I'd turned off Windows Firewall (for both Private and Public Profiles) I discovered that in the advanced settings it was still turned on for the Corporate Profile. Note that the active profile is Private. I turned off firewall for the Corporate Profile and voila, the server works just fine and dandy now! Ugh, Windows.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My pet lost a bunch of levels for no reason, is there a glitch? Is there any way other than just fighting to level him back up fast, say edit a file?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Thanks.

I did figure out one issue I had. My kids both had their characters on the same computer. So I backed up the file, copied it to my NAS on the network and made a link via 'mklink' to the file on both computers. Now they can both play together while sharing on characters.db file. I just need to be sure they load at separate times and quit at separate times to lower the chance of corruption. This would be easier if they just put each character in a separate file.

My pet lost a bunch of levels for no reason, is there a glitch? Is there any way other than just fighting to level him back up fast, say edit a file?

I think it's a bug. I have the same issue but it only seems to happen in multiplayer. Are you seeing this in single player too?

BooJoh

I think it's a bug. I have the same issue but it only seems to happen in multiplayer. Are you seeing this in single player too?

There are a couple of wikis out there for the game. I don't know if any are official, but if you look up known bugs they say that pets can't gain exp on multiplayer servers or it will reset when you change pets or log off.

rexor0717

This game get boring really fast. Hope updates don't take forever.

Yeah, I had fun for the first night that I played it. Then I realized there isn't actually all that much to do, especially since most of the enemies are pretty interchangeable. I still have a lot of hope for this game, but its pretty sparce at the moment.

The Foul

It looks like they do.

Looking at the upcoming patch notes from a month ago tells me it'll be years before there's actually a "game" in there to enjoy.

Which is fine... I guess, I paid for an alpha and I got one. Minecraft took a few years to get fully enjoyable, but somehow even at the beginning it had a timeless and fascinating quality. Cube World doesn't quite have that same appeal for me, especially post minecraft/terraria etc. On the shelf with it.

Just started yesterday, and I have to admit I am quite impressed: lots of little stories that you create yourself, nice exploration, and cool gaming moments (my first night in the wild...), good investment :)

Kouriozan

Completely forgot about this game, I guess no update or post from Wollay since august?
Just saw that the official game site's forum is still closed, lol.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Completely forgot about this game, I guess no update or post from Wollay since august?
Just saw that the official game site's forum is still closed, lol.

Wow, he has been quiet for some time. He seems passionate about the game though, I doubt he would take the money and run. Still, strange of him to go silent after finally getting some attention...

Raxum

I would have to say I'm annoyed at the lack of updates (game or at least some mention of it from Wollay), but I can't complain, I really didn't spend that much money on the game and I've already gotten about 50+ hours in it. Hopefully he's just taking a break from it for a bit and coming back to it soon.

Blizzard

Banned
It is a bit surprising that there has not at least been some twitter post saying "the artist is still alive" or "the programmer is still alive".

It's almost a pity they didn't join with Mojang since at least Mojang has extra employees. :p

moojito

Yeah, I'm reading "we have your money, we have no reason to focus on this, working on other new stuff".

So much wasted potential in this game :<

Top Bottom