• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

Yeah night time reminds me of Dragon's Dogma - dangerous, properly dark out and tense. Though leveling up the hang glider makes it far less deadly . plus you can out run pretty much everything in this game (that I've run into)
It can definitely use some work though. It's simply unrealistically dark in a lot of places - it shouldn't be pitch black on an open field when the moon is out, for example. The way light falls off from torches could be improved, too. Make them less bright in the center, but have the light go further at a more gradual dimming.

so right click right before you get hit, and hold. let go to counter hit and stun?

That's what I've been doing. The block bar shows up the longer you hold right mouse, and if you hold too long you won't block. So it's best to time it out quickly. You'll be stunning enemies so fast it's ridiculous.

Perfect Cha0s said:
It can definitely use some work though. It's simply unrealistically dark in a lot of places - it shouldn't be pitch black on an open field when the moon is out, for example. The way light falls off from torches could be improved, too. Make them less bright in the center, but have the light go further at a more gradual dimming.

Yeah I'd get behind that changelist. I'm just pleased that night time isn't "daytime only dimmer and more blue". It's night, it should be dark. If he starts implementing a more clever lighting system like you mentioned then it's really pay off. Like I said earlier, if things get too rough I just hang glide away

BooJoh

I read through all the pages here again and checked some forums and Wikis. I am sure I am over-thinking it and comparing it to other MMOs, but can't figure how to purchase a better weapon.When at the weapon shop and I see a Staff or Wand that says something like "Power 24 adjusted" and it is in RED lettering, I assume I am not "ready", power/level-wise to buy this? Or is this an item I take to the adjuster guy in the Tower at the local village?

Your Power (increased by but separate from your level) is listed on your character sheet when you bring up your inventory with B or I.

I'm not 100% sure on all of this, but from my observations I think this is accurate: Your best bet to get a better weapon is often to craft or upgrade a found/crafted weapon. If you have a lower level weapon, you can take it to the Adjuster (tall white building) and for a cost of platinum coins he'll bump it up to your level. You can also take higher level items that you can't use yet, and adjust them down to your level for free. Adjusting items adds the (adjusted) suffix, and - here's where I'm not positive on things - I think anything that says (adjusted) cannot be further adjusted, preventing you from just buying any old weapon from a shop (since they're all adjusted) and adjusting it down.

I think this means you can only adjust a customized weapon up once, but I'm not sure.

Is there anyway to heal up outside of pots or dying? Can i nap?

Yup.

When you're out adventuring, if you see a campsite, and it has a bed (tents don't work though, even though they have a bed inside of them), you can lay in it when you're not in combat to heal.

Once you get a bit further along, you'll want to make sure you always have health pots on you. I generally carry around 20 or so. I only use a health pot if I'm really low and I don't see a campsite with a bed nearby.

Pocks

You can sleep for healing, and you can also heal with food. If you collect ginseng, pumpkins, or pineapples, craft them over a fire. The downside with the food is that you must be stationary while using it.

BooJoh

In towns you can sleep in a bed by pressing R. Outside town when you find campfires sometimes there will be a bedroll next to it, you can sleep in those to heal. Also worth noting, speaking to an innkeeper will set the time to 7am, but sleeping will make the time advance faster, so if you're desperate to get to morning you can just lay on a bedroll for a while and wait the night out while keeping an eye out for enemies.

Blizzard

Banned
like something so i don't have to hold 'W' Naturally allow me to turn it off during combat. Don't wanna kill my middle finger holding it down for minutes straight.

'auto run' is whats it called.
Ohh, I'm an idiot, so you can steer with the mouse. I haven't wanted this yet but I imagine I may. I REALLY wanted it in Day-Z, where I think you could literally hold down W for 20 minutes to get from spawn to near a friend you were trying to meet, only to die to random zombies and have to do it again.

BooJoh

like something so i don't have to hold 'W' Naturally allow me to turn it off during combat. Don't wanna kill my middle finger holding it down for minutes straight.

I saw something about autorun mods, but I'm not terribly interested in modding the game at this point. Much like Minecraft I expect frequent updates would make modding a nightmare.

I would really like to see an autorun key and the ability to rebind keys (especially dodge) sometime.

Holy shit, the laziness :lol

Is pressing your middle finger down really that much of a pain? It's hardly different from just resting your finger on the key.

Yeah getting around in this game is becoming obnoxious. I would find it less of a chore if the terrain was more diverse and if the load distance was farther (take in the views while travelling), but as of now I just want an auto run feature so i can get to my location easier.

BooJoh

Yeah getting around in this game is becoming obnoxious. I would find it less of a chore if the terrain was more diverse and if the load distance was farther (take in the views while travelling), but as of now I just want an auto run feature so i can get to my location easier.

I actually find navigating to be easy, coming from the most comparable world style, Minecraft. There's far less jumping required since you can actually step up one block heights without jumping, and having roads everywhere makes travel easier, plus the worlds just feel more natural and cohesive.

The biggest issue is long distance travel. Hopefully they add a taxi system that will let you pick up flight points or carriage points and use those to auto-travel between towns you've discovered.

ZenVolta

I find it funny the AI just stroll around the pitch blackness without so much as a problem. It would be nice if the AI humanoids would use lamps Could make night better since you wouldnt run into so many squads of bandits.

Also fireflies would be cute =)

I actually find navigating to be easy, coming from the most comparable world style, Minecraft. There's far less jumping required since you can actually step up one block heights without jumping, and having roads everywhere makes travel easier, plus the worlds just feel more natural and cohesive.

The biggest issue is long distance travel. Hopefully they add a taxi system that will let you pick up flight points or carriage points and use those to auto-travel between towns you've discovered.

Yeah I should have clarified, I meant longer journeys when I said "getting around". You're definitely right about the paths and step-up mechanic. But If I'm every trying to explore or go long distances, things get. . .same-y. More combat options or more world options, I'm looking forward to both.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Your Power (increased by but separate from your level) is listed on your character sheet when you bring up your inventory with B or I.

I'm not 100% sure on all of this, but from my observations I think this is accurate: Your best bet to get a better weapon is often to craft or upgrade a found/crafted weapon. If you have a lower level weapon, you can take it to the Adjuster (tall white building) and for a cost of platinum coins he'll bump it up to your level. You can also take higher level items that you can't use yet, and adjust them down to your level for free. Adjusting items adds the (adjusted) suffix, and - here's where I'm not positive on things - I think anything that says (adjusted) cannot be further adjusted, preventing you from just buying any old weapon from a shop (since they're all adjusted) and adjusting it down.

I think this means you can only adjust a customized weapon up once, but I'm not sure.

Excellent information, thank you. I will try crafting one of the items I have recovered from battle to improve it. What you think about store items that are "adjusted" makes sense. You probably cannot adjust them any more, up or down. I suppose I could test just by buying a cheaper one and bring it to the Adjuster. If you are correct then he won't be able to do adjust up or down. But I would have to find one at the store that I can actually purchase first...since I am still a lowly leveled Undead.

I am fairly certain in early "clicking around", that I visited the Adjuster and he did in fact lower a item down to my paltry level. So again, thank you for clarifying the "up and down" of what the Adjuster does as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I have only found my starting town and three boss areas on the map, one of which is a lake, and none of which I have explored.

It's fun to explore, and kind of fun to farm low level monsters, and addictive to collect things. I even found a couple of small caves, though they seem to just be tunnels through mountains. One had iron ore.

I do have the feeling that compared to Minecraft...with Minecraft I would burn hours of time, but at least I would have a mine or a huge house constructed when I finish. With this if I burn hours I end up with items collected and maybe a level or two. The world as a whole is probably more cohesive, but the element of having constructed or accomplished something is less. I feel like I'm playing a single-player MMO or something. :p

I presume this is aiming to be more of an RPG though. Please forgive the Minecraft comparison, but I figure it is a very obvious comparison due to the art style and due to one of the creators turning down the offer of merging into Mojang.

ZenVolta

Insectoid Bosses are freaking creepy looking. This would have been scary to run into at night lol
D25hlsr.png

Atomski

I just bought the game and am getting these really annoying random lag spikes in single player. Game runs smooth as butter then all a sudden its like 0fps. Its got me killed twice now.

I know its alpha but I havent seen this in any of the videos on youtube..

Blizzard

Banned
I just bought the game and am getting these really annoying random lag spikes in single player. Game runs smooth as butter then all a sudden its like 0fps. Its got me killed twice now.

I know its alpha but I havent seen this in any of the videos on youtube..
Does it happen right when you press F10? F10 seems to totally pause the game for me which was confusing me since I had it mapped to Fraps screenshot. Other than that, I don't know that I've ever seen it drop below 60 fps, but I finally have a decent desktop so I can't really say.

xJavonta

Banned
So I just got done playing on a private server I set up with a friend, and holy shit this is so much fun. This is the first I've really wanted to explore in a game since Minecraft.

I'm terrible since I'm only a lvl 9 Warrior and he's like a 41 Rogue lol but it was still a ton of fun despite dying a lot

I'll be playing this a lot more, probably set up a 24/7 server

Atomski

Does it happen right when you press F10? F10 seems to totally pause the game for me which was confusing me since I had it mapped to Fraps screenshot. Other than that, I don't know that I've ever seen it drop below 60 fps, but I finally have a decent desktop so I can't really say.

Nah never hit f10. It always starts out smooth and after 10-15 minutes just becomes unplayable. I finally got on their forums and it seems like a few people are having it.. Spikes in CPU usage.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Nah never hit f10. It always starts out smooth and after 10-15 minutes just becomes unplayable. I finally got on their forums and it seems like a few people are having it.. Spikes in CPU usage.

There's no frame limiter in the game. Try turning on vsync in your gpu control panel and see if that helps.

Lizard with a ladder

Speaking of update. What changes would you guys like to see?

Here's a couple things I'd like to see addressed soon.

- Shared stash between characters.

- An improved world map. It should stay lit at night. The way zoom in on the world map affects the mini map feels weird. Have seperate zoom in features for each map.

- Weapon adaption needs an overhaul. At higher levels it cost way too much.

- An improved world map. It should stay lit at night. The way zoom in on the world map affects the mini map feels weird. Have seperate zoom in features for each map.

- Weapon adaption needs an overhaul. At higher levels it cost way too much.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'm hoping the housing update may allow some form of shared inventory between characters.

In addition, I would LOVE to see dynamic weather, especially rain. The environments need more atmosphere.

Some more Monster Hunter esque gameplay would be fun. Hunt giant monsters for drops and use those drops to craft unique items and weapon (and trophies when housing is introduced).

More stuff to do in general. Things like farming, more NPC interactions (relationship cultivating? lol), mini-games, town management. Throw some Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing type stuff in here. The rare pets and pet evolution system they have planned definitely sounds interesting. Maybe they will eventually add skill trees to pets and allow you to have pet combat against other players (Pokemon).

Lizard with a ladder

The rare pets and pet evolution system they have planned definitely sounds interesting. Maybe they will eventually add skill trees to pets and allow you to have pet combat against other players (Pokemon).

Unique skill sets for certain pets would be great. Something beyond the tanking and healing pets we have now. Maybe a mount that has double jump or one that gives a bonus to mount speed.

Raxum

Unique skill sets for certain pets would be great. Something beyond the tanking and healing pets we have now. Maybe a mount that has double jump or one that gives a bonus to mount speed.

Something like an ability to fight while mounted would be awesome. Mounted combat would be so much fun come PvP time :p

But anyway, I'd like to see a few changes to the procedural generation (namely positioning of portal stones in towns), maybe some more in-game options like vsync. He might end up re-balancing a few of the classes based on what we've seen of how strong some of them are. Possibly even fix the double-jump glitch. I know some people won't want those things fixed but obviously it's not how he intended things to be.

Blizzard

Banned
Something like an ability to fight while mounted would be awesome. Mounted combat would be so much fun come PvP time :p

But anyway, I'd like to see a few changes to the procedural generation (namely positioning of portal stones in towns), maybe some more in-game options like vsync. He might end up re-balancing a few of the classes based on what we've seen of how strong some of them are. Possibly even fix the double-jump glitch. I know some people won't want those things fixed but obviously it's not how he intended things to be.
I'd rather the player experience be improved by things like vsync, rebindable controls, maybe auto-run for long distance travel, etc. before they start hurting the player experience by nerfing things or removing useful glitches. :p

Raxum

I'd rather the player experience be improved by things like vsync, rebindable controls, maybe auto-run for long distance travel, etc. before they start hurting the player experience by nerfing things or removing useful glitches. :p

Well I did mention vsync in there, but rebindable controls and the option for auto-run should hopefully be an easy addition to the game (possibly). Some things really do need a nerf though (ranger crossbow right-click for one), and Wollay might actually remove the double-jump glitch to add a proper double-jump ability or something similar.

I'm really hoping for some expansion on the skill tree, I've actually stopped allocating points in my level 180 character past about 40 because they don't feel very significant. A few more skills in there would be nice. (hint hint, double jump skill or skill to improve jump height, also possibly skill to help with fall damage)

Blizzard

Banned
That reminds me, I need to look up on the wiki how many points I have to have on the leftmost skill before I can unlock the middle skill in a tree.

Raxum

That reminds me, I need to look up on the wiki how many points I have to have on the leftmost kill before I can unlock the middle skill in a tree.

Should be 5 points in the skill left of the one you want to unlock. That's what it was for me on my two characters. Really should be in the tooltips though.

xJavonta

Banned
Played all night today and ended up at a lvl 27 Warrior. I'm really digging this game.

THIS. I get countless items that aren't the proper class for my main character, but would be useful for my side characters. The fact that they arent' shared sucks so much.

Raxum

Played all night today and ended up at a lvl 27 Warrior. I'm really digging this game.

THIS. I get countless items that aren't the proper class for my main character, but would be useful for my side characters. The fact that they arent' shared sucks so much.

Currently, if you really want to share them you can host a local server and run 2 copies of cube world and jump into the local server on both characters to share. Unfortunately, this only works if your computer can handle it. If not you can get a friend to host, jump in and give the items to your friend and have them give them to your other character.

Still, shared stash would simplify that a LOT.

xJavonta

Banned
Currently, if you really want to share them you can host a local server and run 2 copies of cube world and jump into the local server on both characters to share. Unfortunately, this only works if your computer can handle it. If not you can get a friend to host, jump in and give the items to your friend and have them give them to your other character.

Still, shared stash would simplify that a LOT.

I have no idea why I never thought of that lol, that's like the easiest solution.

Thanks

pyros

Finally got a lolly and tamed a snout beetle, at level 31, that thing is a beast.

btw, thanks oO Arekkz Oo for your guides, really helped me when I was starting out, nice lp too.

Top Bottom