• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Pavaloo

So after a first listen, I really enjoyed the entire album. The first half especially stood out for me. Excited for repeated listens!

Don't know where it ranks overall with their discog but I'll let it sit before I decide any of that.

Listening to the whole thing from start to finish multiple times in a day, I would have to give it a bare minimum of 4/5. Time will tell if it will rise to heaven, but so far, great job Robots

dafinezt

Banned
I didn't know what to think about this album when it first dropped, but I've really come to like it. The only tracks I'm not wild about are Game of Love and Within.

Red UFO

Does anyone have any clue what Pharrell is saying on 'Lose Yourself To Dance' about 1.18? It's bugging me.
Yeah sounds like guitar to me too. Just checked in the booklet that comes with the vinyl and it doesn't mention anything in there.

GhaleonEB

"Random Access Memories" is the act's fourth studio effort and second top 10 set on the Billboard 200. They had previously gone as high as No. 4 with its soundtrack to "TRON: Legacy" in January of 2011. Their highest-charting studio album had been 2001's "Discovery," which peaked at No. 44.

Daft Punk's last studio set, 2005's "Human After All," debuted and peaked at No. 98.

Notably, in one week, "Random Access Memories" has sold more than twice what the total sales are for "Human After All." The latter has sold just 125,000 to date. Comparably, Daft Punk's best selling album is "Discovery," with 796,000.
Really extraordinary performance for RAM by any measure, but even more so for how far it eclipses Daft Punk's prior work. Very well deserved.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
"Notably, in one week, Random Access Memories has sold more than twice what the total sales are for Human After All. The latter has sold just 125,000 to date."

Billboard going in.

cdyhybrid

Insane how popular they've got since Human After All. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

TUYLq21.jpg

HAA and Alive debuted at 98 and 169 in the states respectively. They've always had their following, but come TRON, which came it 4 they've had mad status.

Listened to the whole album a few days ago. Very underwhelming. Get Lucky is just about the pinnacle of the album.

Comparing the recent artistic efforts I'd rate JT's 20/20 experience as awesome. Looped it a couple of times already, Its just much more likable.

I wish I liked it as much as you guys.

The only tracks I kind of like are Instant Crush and Contact.

Maybe touch........Everything else to me is kind of meh.

FerranMG

The first one is amazing!
The Daughter one is cool, but a bit to darky. Of course it's Daughter... :p

Thanks for posting those, pretty good covers, accoustic is my favorite.

I was actually thinking of something more in this vein...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev4ESucF53U

Haha!, incredible! So cool!

dmshaposv

Fragments of Time is very tightly produced, has great layers of sound that dont show up in one or two listens and perhaps has the best vocal performance in the entire album.

Doin it right is also now my favs.

Touch still remains the best track of the album, followed by Giorgio though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Seems like every time I listen to the album, I get a new favorite. Right now it's Doin' it Right, really loving that track now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't help Give Life Back to Music staying a top favorite. I like a good anthem.

Giorgio, Lose Yourself to Dance vying for second place.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I finally got a solid hour to listen to it. I know I need to be fair and give it a few more listens, and a little bit of time, but it's made a strong case as my favorite album of theirs.

The instrumentals in particular are so dense and have such a phenomenal groove. I keep hearing new things in each song, and the production makes it so easy for those details to bubble up to the surface. I'm really glad I waited until I had a quiet moment with my headphones to just relax and listen. I kept reading that they wanted to make an actual album this time, in the vein of the classics, and it absolutely shows. It flows well, and builds to a fantastic second half.

I always really liked Daft Punk, but this may have crossed them into my love category. I'm going to enjoy having this on repeat for a while.

RoKKeR

Just went on a river trip with my class, and Get Lucky was constantly being played/sung by everybody, along with a little bit of Doin' it Right thrown in there as well. Lots of Daft Punk love from people I didn't expect it from.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really want that Dreweyes shirt, it's awesome. But the one on Redbubble doesn't have the glow in the dark though right? Any chance that might be available again somewhere in the future?

Mung

I'm loving the disco sound in many of the albums songs... Overdue revival.

It's cool to hate disco, but I love that shit, and without it dance music today would be very different.

Servbot24

Banned
Fragments of Time is just so horrible to me :( I don't think they could have made more of a grocery store song if they tried :(

good on them for the sales week though. expert level marketing.

GhaleonEB

Fragments of Time is just so horrible to me :( I don't think they could have made more of a grocery store song if they tried :(

I thought it was just okay until I listened to it with headphones, at night. A lot of nuances and layers came out that I wasn't aware of, from my crappy car speakers. That and the great bridge has made the song a lot of fun for me, even though the surface of it is nothing special.

My kids are really digging this album, both put it on their music players. "Touch" weirded them both out, though. :lol

The ending to that song is shitty as all hell, probably the first I've ever actually truly noticed. And the last couple chords of the chorus line is very sunny and tacky, but I still find something about the song I like. But yes, it really is a cookie-cutter tune.

Shaneus

If you don't like that track then you don't like Hall & Oates. And if you don't like Hall & Oats, then I don't like you. Neither does anyone else (probably).

Top Bottom