• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

I could see where some would like this album, especially depending on what mood they are in. I could also see some hating it; I personally think it's highly overrated, mostly on this board. I like Motherboard, and Contact, as they sound more like the Daft Punk I'm used to, everything else I'm just not feeling. Get Lucky is catchy to me sometimes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the beats all have potential, that 8-bit video shows as much, but on the album itself the tracks are underwhelming, the voices don't do any good for it most of the time, and it doesn't flow nicely from one track to another. And yeah, DP have been a bit full of themselves in their comments. There's nothing particularly special about this album that allows them to say this is them fixing a problem or bringing the music of the future or anything like that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In a perverted way something I like about Daft Punk is there's always a highly disappointed and sometimes angry reaction to each new studio album. A certain percentage of fans who came on board from the previous project are baffled by how DP "totally lost it" on their new one because it's so different.

Reading a lot of the negative opinions about RAM (not just here, but all over) sounds like going back in time to 2001 and listening to Homework fans react to Discovery.

Tho to be fair to everyone, Human After All was so intentionally shocking, just about anyone could be forgiven for not knowing wtf to do with it.

GhaleonEB

Instant Crush was my original favourite, but Beyond has quickly become my top song on the album. It's incredible. Just perfect.

Yes. I'm still not a fan of the orchestral intro to it, but from then on it's an incredible mood piece, I just lose track of everything else around me and soak it in. When the keyboards kick in at the end it's just beautiful; I wish it kept going and going.

Okay, Motherboard is sonic brilliance. Listening to this track while driving to work down I-95, 5AM in the morning, nobody else on the road; I can feel the urgency expressed through the speakers. Just makes me want to move faster. The tonal shifts work better here than on any other track on the album imo. Every other song sounds pretentious; like it's trying too hard to be different and edgy, but Motherboard is Daft Punk at their best. Honorable mention goes to Contact too.

I pretty much hate all the vocals on this album though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh yeah definitely (Well I own Moon Safari I guess), I see what you mean. I got major Philip Glass vibes myself and I'm a mega fan. What I'd kill for them to do a collab...
Yeah man, you should listen to Talkie Walkie too, and 10,000hz Legend while you're at it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
tumblr_mkqgnzryK21r3gb3zo1_400.gif

I feel bad for you.

Just listened to the album for the first time yesterday and liked it quite a bit. While I like the other stuff I've heard by Daft Punk alright, I'm not a huge fan or anything. This one, however, I found very enjoyable. My favorite songs right now I guess are Contact, Giorgio by Moroder and Motherboard. Get Lucky I think is the one I liked less, but didn't hate it or anything (maybe would have liked this one better without vocals or with more instrumental parts, but it'll probably grow on me more). Horizon is very Pink Floydy and I love it, I have a thing for slide guitars. The whole album sounds great, it's great to listen to with headphones on.

Also! Holy shit! Giorgio Moroder composed the theme song for The Neverending Story movie!

I got major Philip Glass vibes myself and I'm a mega fan. What I'd kill for them to do a collab...
Hah! That would be several kinds of awesome.

Pavaloo

UUuuuuuugh still haven't heard this album yet as I'm still waiting for my vinyl to come in.

I will now always buy from amazon, yikes.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
And yeah, DP have been a bit full of themselves in their comments. There's nothing particularly special about this album that allows them to say this is them fixing a problem or bringing the music of the future or anything like that.

That explains why they're friends with Kanye West.

okdakor

A long interview (in french), from the guy who worked with Daft Punk on the mastering fro the digital "studio master" release :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3UH2Fq6O0

He lets slip a little something at 19:04, confirming what Thomas said in another interview : they're still going further, the'yre doing the remixes at Studio Gang, which is next door... He doesn't know when is the release but he's mastering directly from the source, cables between the 2 studios, from the mixing console to his mastering one.

andylsun

Waiting for the vinyl. At this point I've waited too long to not be committed to it :p

Good! It was a long wait for me but we'll worth it. My vinyl isn't as dead quiet as I hoped. A little crackly, but hope a clean will sort it out. Other than the crackly issue it's very good

Fjordson

You aren't the only one. Really can't stand any of them except for Todd Edwards on Fragments of Time.

Vocoder vocals have always sounded cool to me for whatever reason, so I don't mind them, but all of the guests vocalists do nothing for me.

Shaneus

I didn't realise Guy-Man was so much more, um, "filled out" than Bangalter was. There ya go.

You aren't the only one. Really can't stand any of them except for Todd Edwards on Fragments of Time.

Vocoder vocals have always sounded cool to me for whatever reason, so I don't mind them, but all of the guests vocalists do nothing for me.
I'm the same. But they have to be done well and on older DP, no worries... but other than Fragments of Time, the rest of the vocals (vocoded or otherwise) just didn't do it for me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Finally got a chance to listen to this album, I ran through it from start to finish twice. I hate to say it but this is the first Daft Punk album I havent instantly fallen in love with. Theres just too many tracks that do nothing for me, I got bored. That said I really like 'The Game Of Love', 'Beyond' and 'Doin' it Right'.

Epcott

Not too crazy about the album.

There are a few tracks I love: Touch, Giorgio, Lose Yourself to Dance, Motherboard, and Doin' it Right. Contact isn't bad either. A few of these took a listen or two before they sunk into my subconsciousness.

The rest, not so much. Fragments of Time reminds me of a Stealy Dan song, which probably would have benefited from either an extra singer for dual vocals or a different singer entirely with more bite. The rest sound off, like static muzak in a department store (Especially The Game of Love). It's a real shame, I loved all of Discovery, and still go back to Homework, Tron Legacy and Human After All between breaks of Cross from Justice and random Boys Noize.

Edit: ha ha holy shite at the pic above!

Top Bottom