• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

dmshaposv

I personally prefer the pacing of the radio edit of get lucky to the album version. I feel it becomes too repetitive and Im not too fond of the sudden switch to just pharell's vocals with the piano.

the sweet intro + the length of the radio edit = best edit of get lucky.

Floex

Gone through the album once through, the Pharrell tracks for me are the standouts. I think the trouble is I expected an album of Get Lucky's, dance music but for the most part it isn't that. I dunno, I put on a daft punk album for when I'm going out, club tunes but some of the songs on this are a tad depressing. I'm not down on the album, more not what I expected. Need to cut that talking nonsense out of Giorgio, fuck I hate when people do this on albums. No, I don't want to listen to minutes worth of talking nonsense each time.

You know what, just give me a Daft/Pharrell collaboration album.

when you listed your problems with it you criticized the song that follows for going against giorgio's comments. that was the reason i made that comment. no hard feelings or anything, just really enjoying discussing the album right now.

oh i think i edited that out 'cause i realized it wasn't relevant, you must've caught it before i did hehe.

I can understand the disappointment if your someone who casually taps into daft punk.

"i'm more of a fan than you are" stuff helps no-one. I've spent many an hour sitting down with DP albums from Homework on, and me and them have just gone in different ways, is all.

saltycigar

Neo Member
Love it. As a big fan of, broadly speaking, 80s music - they've captured the relevant spirit very neatly with some delicately placed homages built right out of a few 80s classics.

EDIT: Lose Yourself to Dance is a weak track because of Pharrell's squeaky voice, sometimes it's just too much.

Addi

lol, was just at a café humming Lose yourself to dance and it it suddenly began to play. Can't believe the guys working there actually played the leak publicly.

Mantrox

The organic feeling of the tracks, made the album feel somewhat foreign for a Daft Punk fan like me. If we look at previous albums, the sampling of magic moments of obscure tracks, was the filling on the mostly eletronic cake. What i love about Daft punk, is the finnesse and craftsmanship with wich they construct their songs and the care put on using old eletronic gear to try and emulate the disco, warmth and grooviness. Now with this album, they crossed the barrier, and are just producing their own Disco tracks.

The sparkly clean drums and mildly filtered guitar just don't convey the same exitement to me as a listener, as the epic crescendos of old distorted shynths trying to screech out guitar riffs.

I don't hate Daft Disco, but i definitely don't love it.

remz

lol, was just at a café humming Lose yourself to dance and it it suddenly began to play. Can't believe the guys working there actually played the leak publicly.

Hahah, I used to do shit like that all time when I worked in an internet cafe. It's more common when you think

Need to cut that talking nonsense out of Giorgio, fuck I hate when people do this on albums. No, I don't want to listen to minutes worth of talking nonsense each time.

I love that sample I think it fits pretty nicely. He's only talking for the first minute and a half anyway and the song has hardly even got going, then the part in the middle where he talks for 20 seconds and then the song cuts into the orchestral part. Personally I think it fits pretty nicely and helps to break the song up a little.

Floex

I love that sample I think it fits pretty nicely. He's only talking for the first minute and a half anyway and the song has hardly even got going, then the part in the middle where he talks for 20 seconds and then the song cuts into the orchestral part. Personally I think it fits pretty nicely and helps to break the song up a little.

Not every single time I want to listen to it, no. The bit in the middle is fine, I just want to listen to music, completely cuts the flow of an album.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not every single time I want to listen to it, no. The bit in the middle is fine, I just want to listen to music, completely cuts the flow of an album.

Man you would absolutely hate rap then. :p

Sometimes it fits into the narrative of the song. It's just like lyrics, except less... lyrical.

What an odd album. I just listened to it through shitty speakers and I'm feeling like shit so I will relisten it in a couple of days. Weird.

Defuser

This album really shines through multiple playthroughs. First playthrough doesn't really give a good impression but once you listen to it a second or third time it kinda click and it's very enjoyable. I can't imagine how would the next Alive would sound like with these.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say I love the vocoder breakdown in lose yourself to dance, as cheesy as it is. Standout track for me. Pharrel doesn't even bother me.

Floex

Man you would absolutely hate rap then. :p

Sometimes it fits into the narrative of the song. It's just like lyrics, except less... lyrical.

But it's not even to music. It's just talking, can you imagine listening to it at a party/club and having that come on? No, they would cut it because it's meaningless jibberjabber.

SLV

Aww yeah, cant wait for the physical release, as my birthday is around the time it hits. I hinted to my friends that i would like that xD

Antiwhippy

But it's not even to music. It's just talking, can you imagine listening to it at a party/club and having that come on? No, they would cut it because it's meaningless jibberjabber.

Well yeah, I fully expect that to be cut out during live playings (or at least remixed, or used as some sort of introduction to the show) but album cuts don't have to 100% follow club cuts. Especially for electronic music.

Also there is music playing to it in the background.

dmshaposv

A remix of Yellowire - Tonight Is The Night
They apparently had a remix competition, so there's a ton of remixes out there. Someone found the guitar track on soundcloud and it was the exact same thing as in this snippet (I don't have the link right now)

EDIT: Here's the guitar track: Soundcloud

that sounds nothing like the loop sample on youtube.

bud

touch
i remember touch
pictures came with touch
a painter in my mind
tell me what you see
a tourist in a dream
a visitor it seems
a half forgotten song
where do i belong
tell me what you see
i need something more

kiss
suddenly alive
happiness arrive
hunger like a storm
how do i begin
a room within a room
a door behind a door
touch where do you lead
i need something more
tell me what you see
i need something more

touch
sweet touch
you've given me too much to feel
sweet touch
you've almost convinced me i'm real
i need something more
i need something more

this is such a great song.

Trouble

Banned
All you who love Contact should really check out a band called Holy Fuck. Most of their tracks have similar insane build ups and brutal drum beats.

dmshaposv

Doing it right isnt a bad song, but it doesnt belong in this disco-prog fused album at all.

It feels completely remote from the rest of the songs. While everything is densely layered - its sparseness is at complete odds.

-GJ-

I love the story this album tells. It tells the adventures and experiences of two alien robots on earth who try to get back home but when they try to leave they just crash back to earth. I just wish we had a movie to visualize it all.

Antiwhippy

It's incomparable to rap though. He's just talking.

Did I miss something? Didn't they say they weren't touring?

Rap does use a lot of vocal conversation samples though. Skits are a big part of rap.

Like all the fucking marvel cartoon quotes in mf doom albums.

-GJ-

I also love how on this album a lot of songs actually continue from the previous songs. Giorgio by Moroder features an intro that sounds a lot like The Game of Love, Instant Crush is a continuation of Within etc. They did a great job with that.

jchap

I listened to the album one more time. I think I may be not purchasing it after all. I could kind of get into a few of the songs but on the whole it fell incredibly flat for me. Hate Touch and Doing it Right.

I hope they go back to chopping up samples and shit for their next album.

Also, Doin It Right is probably my favorite track on the album right now.

The organic feeling of the tracks, made the album feel somewhat foreign for a Daft Punk fan like me. If we look at previous albums, the sampling of magic moments of obscure tracks, was the filling on the mostly eletronic cake. What i love about Daft punk, is the finnesse and craftsmanship with wich they construct their songs and the care put on using old eletronic gear to try and emulate the disco, warmth and grooviness. Now with this album, they crossed the barrier, and are just producing their own Disco tracks.

The sparkly clean drums and mildly filtered guitar just don't convey the same exitement to me as a listener, as the epic crescendos of old distorted shynths trying to screech out guitar riffs.

I don't hate Daft Disco, but i definitely don't love it.
This.

dvdjamm

248360_276202789183039_1024308447_n.jpg
3 Favorite songs after 3 listens of the complete stream

Giorgio by Moroder
Lose Yourself To Dance
Touch

Top Bottom