• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Gazoinks

Chapter 1 Spoilers.

Watching Byakuya down those beef skewers made me laugh harder than it had any right to.

Turning fat made Byakuya strangely lovable.

I'm really enjoying the cast so far. In #1 it felt like their were a couple of people who hogged the spotlight, but it seems more even here. Everyone's really colorful and fun. Not looking forward to that first murder! >.>

Goodbye despair moar liek hello dis bear.

Bwj1yz0CYAAnGqA.jpg

I really need to start this series.

HGH

Banned
Chapt. 1 murder spoilers...

Of course, right after I actually start to like the guy, he gets offed. Dammit Feep!

It's the damn sequel curse isn't it? No one who survives an original murder mystery gets to make it through a sequel...
I don't even know who to suspect. That blackout was such an amazing opportunity. Didn't see nightvision goggles coming though.

On the plus side, this is faaaar more interesting than DR1's first case and everyone's voices are still great.

JNA

Banned
Ugh this sucks! This is why I hate USPS. :( My game is still not here and it still hasn't updated from August 30th. Never had problems with UPS but these guys keep missing up my delivers almost all the time. :(

pariah164

It's the damn sequel curse isn't it? No one who survives an original murder mystery gets to make it through a sequel...
I don't even know who to suspect. That blackout was such an amazing opportunity. Didn't see nightvision goggles coming though.

On the plus side, this is faaaar more interesting than DR1's first case and everyone's voices are still great.
Yeah. I hope it's Teruteru, because that perverted little troll deserves to die. Sorry not sorry Labrys.

Yeah, I am hooked on this. This game is dope.

MSMrRound

Didn't see nightvision goggles coming though.

You know...
when Rocketpunch supermart came up, and I saw the night vision goggles, I was like...there's no way it wouldn't be involved with the murders

Might be an effect of playing too much Danganronpa.

Mazre

Hadn't gotten any shipping updates since the intial one and was just about to check amazon tracking and send a grumpy email when my doorbell rang. Hooray! Like that the cards for DR 1 + 2 form a set. Gonna grab dinner and dive in.

HGH

Banned
Ooh what the heck... The
first game's Golden Replica Sword
is in the shop. What a weird reference.
Monomi is far less annoying than I would have thought. She sounds exactly like what a kids shows mascot would but somehow the performance is actually good.
I'm gonna blaze through the first trial right now.
The murder weapon can't possibly be the knife, there's just too many small holes for it to work like that. I wonder if it's that missing skewer....

EDIT: Ok so like,
Kuzryu is DR1 Togami 2.0. He's just gonna be this massive red herring all game that everyone blames isn't he?
Yeah. I hope it's Teruteru, because that perverted little troll deserves to die. Sorry not sorry Labrys.

Yeah, I am hooked on this. This game is dope.
I can't really get into this way of thought.
While it's a reprehensible attitude, they're all teens. There's always a couple horny bastards who can't think with anything but their dicks in high school.
Also I still can't tell what the hell his accent is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think I'm almost done with the prologue. I think I'm gonna dig this cast of characters, especially with some of their reactions.

It's nice to see some of the changes with the overmap & traveling from one place to another. I don't know how to feel about the Tamagotchi pet-like thing. Feels like I gotta stop every so often to check up on it, which slows the flow down. Hopefully there'll be some rewards outside of trophies. Just hope it won't feel tedious with getting all the different variations.

Not really a spoiler, but considering the answer might be, I'll hide it (though if the answer is "it'll be explained eventually, you don't have to hide your response):
How is it that Byakuya has no memory of Monokuma, considering he was in the last game?

Not really a spoiler, but considering the answer might be, I'll hide it (though if the answer is "it'll be explained eventually, you don't have to hide your response):
How is it that Byakuya has no memory of Monokuma, considering he was in the last game?

it'll be explained eventually

Noi

Chapter 1 End.

Byakuya... ;____; I wanted to social link with you first but I didn't get any food on my first lottery rolls.

MSMrRound

Oh, so it's like getting the
Man's Spirit
item in the first game and getting that extra scene?

Yes. 2 additional scenes in Chapter 1, 1 in chapter 2, 3 in chapter 3.

The Tamagotchi thing will net you skills and monocoins, though you can also farm the magical monomi minigame (unlocked after chapter 1) for coins.

MSMrRound

about to start, english or japanese? which one is better overall? I forgot what I played the first one in

You can replay chapters once you complete them, so you can get the best of both worlds.

I personally went with Japanese though. That Kana Hanazawa Chiaki. Not to mention Sugita Gundham. INFINITY UNLIMITED FLAME!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes. 2 additional scenes in Chapter 1, 1 in chapter 2, 3 in chapter 3.

The Tamagotchi thing will net you kills and monocoins, though you can also farm the magical monomi minigame (unlocked after chapter 1) for coins.
Oh wow, a lot more this time around.

Hmmm, it sounds like I won't mind the Tamagotchi thing as much if the rewards are decent & there's not too many to raise/have really specific ways of getting them. Hopefully that mini-game will make it easy to get 999 coins this time around.

& prologue finished. DAMN, this already looks like it's gonna be more insane than the original.

RetroMG

Is there a guide anywhere on what presents to give the virtual pet? Does it even matter?

Also, man, it's taking a long time to get to the first murder. I'm sure it's about the same as DR1, and I'm just impatient, but I really want to get to the first trial.

fates

Just got home from work and school... no LE :( It's still in California.

How did it go from Texas to California when I'm in Maryland. rargh grumble grumble usps grumble

MSMrRound

Is there a guide anywhere on what presents to give the virtual pet? Does it even matter?

Just spam it with the 1 monokuma coin thing from vending machine. Each present=1 hope gauge. Unless you are aiming for some different pet.

Total 6 pets:

Snakemi 0~2 hope
Pigmi 3~5
Gorimi 6~8
Usami 9~10

Shitmi 0 hope 6~9 despair
Monokuma 9~10 hope, 6~9 despair

Chapter 1 End.

Byakuya... ;____; I wanted to social link with you first but I didn't get any food on my first lottery rolls.

I was so mad that I didn't accurately predict who would die. I hung out with everyone I thought would be a possibility, yet none of them were right :(

Gazoinks

Case 1

Well shit.
I guess it's not a surprise that Byakuya, being the leader, died, but come on! He was actually likable for once! I didn't even get to S.Link with him...

I hope it's not Peko, I like her. Which means it probably will be.

pariah164

Stuck already. I feel dumb. (Chapter 1 trial spoilers.)

What am I supposed to present for the reason Byakuya dove under the table? I feel like I've presented everything, unless I missed evidence somehow.

Vylash

Stuck already. I feel dumb. (Chapter 1 trial spoilers.)

What am I supposed to present for the reason Byakuya dove under the table? I feel like I've presented everything, unless I missed evidence somehow.

what are the truth bullets you have?

HGH

Banned
Case 1. Oooooh man, case 1...

So Nagito is a complete fucking basket case. No wonder they made him so much like Naegi, that was a great bait 'n switch. I can't even tell what the hell he's trying to say.
I think he's actually covering for Hanamura of all people for some reason. It's really weird.

Also can we replace all the VAs with English Ibuki, Akane and Nidai? I just wanna hear these three forever.

Vylash

Oh geez, I have lots of them.
The duralumin case, the night goggles, the embarrassing pose (not sure why, dammit Mikan), the knife, gaps in floorboard, A/C timer... just loads.

it's the knife, though i can't remember what you shoot it at

So I'm going around meeting everyone, and they all seem likable so far except Mikan. I hope she develops a backbone or something, because her crying is just too excessive.

robotrock

Banned
Any idea how many chapters are in this game? Spoiler the answer plz. I got the game today and ran through the prologue and just wasn't feeling it. Hoping I can ease back into that DanganRonpa flow soon.

pariah164

This minigame is testing my fucking patience. (Again chapter 1 trial spoilers.)

Okay, I am slashing everything, and I keep getting pushed back. WHAT DO?

Vylash

ah the rebuttal showdown, took me some time to get the hang of it

change the evidence you're using to slash, sometimes you'll get pushed back much more if you use the wring evidence to slash statements

MSMrRound

Round 1, slash stuff. You need to make sure it's properly slashed as in...split in half. Some of the sentences might take several strikes to fully break them. Push them back. If you push enough, you advance to the next round. If you don't slash your opponent's words properly, they are liable to push you back.

Next round, slash misc noise sentences, press triangle to fire TRUTH BLADE on the proper weak point that appears (it will still be in orange)

pariah164

Round 1, slash stuff. You need to make sure it's properly slashed as in...split in half. Some of the sentences might take several strikes to fully break them. Push them back. If you push enough, you advance to the next round. If you don't slash your opponent's words properly, they are liable to push you back.

Next round, slash misc noise sentences, press triangle to fire TRUTH BLADE on the proper weak point that appears (it will still be in orange)
Aaah I forgot the Truth Blade. Thanks for kicking my memory into gear.

Okay I'm stumped in the 2nd half of the Chapter 1 Class trial:
I need to agree with someone about how the killer made it to the storage room in the dark.

I have no idea what one to pick here.

HGH

Banned
Chapter 1 Trial Complete.
That was good. Far better than the first game's at least. I was genuinely intrigued even if I figured it out a bit earlier.
Liking all the new gameplay additions. It's no longer as obnoxious as it used to be. Also can we please get a picture of the resolution with Togami in his goggles a la Splinter Cell?
Hanamura wasn't so bad but eh, them's the breaks. far more sympathetic than Leon. So his accent was...Cajun I think? At the very least I've never seen someone refer to others as "Cher" before.

So I'm going around meeting everyone, and they all seem likable so far except Mikan. I hope she develops a backbone or something, because her crying is just too excessive.

Now now, victim blaming isn't nice. Or rather, that's just how neurotic self-deprecating people are.
I'm totally waiting for her to snap. It seems to always happen with this kinda character.
Especially with Saionji being a non-stop dick to her. Seriously, I want to set her on fire and that's not even because she's voiced by Kira Buckland!

Top Bottom