• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Hugstable

Banned
Been a bit busy so I haven't had as much time to play until this weekend which was something I didn't expect since I wanted to play the hell out of the game, but time for me to start playing hard since I have more free time now. About to start the trial of Chapter 2 and I'm really enjoying the characters especially so far. I didn't think I was gonna like the cast as much as the first game just based off their looks alone, but I've really grown to like most of the characters so far bar a very few annoying ones.

Edit: Top of the page! Time for some Ibuki nose. I posted this also in the PSN topic, but her nose reminds me the characters from Kaiji and Akagi anime hahaha

gBtEI0N.jpg

galvenize

Before starting DR2 I tried to be careful not to attach myself too much to some characters but I couldn't help liking a few so I hope from the bottom of my heart that
Chiaki survives through this (She seems important enough), I'm bummed out about Peko already (chapter I just finished).

What's the benefit of giving gifts with high compatibility as opposed to other levels of compatibility?
Also is it just purely story benefits from giving gifts?

LX_Theo

Banned
What's the benefit of giving gifts with high compatibility as opposed to other levels of compatibility?
Also is it just purely story benefits from giving gifts?

You don't always increase a rank with lower compatibility gifts. Not sure how the system works in its entirety, but high compatibility will be much more sure of using your free time effectively (you don't get a lot in the main game)

galvenize

I've got a question regarding the second case.

Why did Peko not wash herself in the ocean instead of using bottles? Is it to prevent leaving footprints and keep Hiyoko's intact? Then again, when you first discover the body, everyone came from the beach side right? So how come they did not tamper on Hiyoko's footprints?

You don't always increase a rank with lower compatibility gifts. Not sure how the system works in its entirety, but high compatibility will be much more sure of using your free time effectively (you don't get a lot in the main game)

Ahh okay, I thought that might be the case. Thanks.

I've got a question regarding the second case.

Why did Peko not wash herself in the ocean instead of using bottles? Is it to prevent leaving footprints and keep Hiyoko's intact? Then again, when you first discover the body, everyone came from the beach side right? So how come they did not tamper on Hiyoko's footprints?

Don't remember the footprint part but I'd imagine the window would have been stained with the blood concidering how small it is. And yeah she didn't want to leave footprints I think.

kewlmyc

God the Hangman's Gambit in Chapter 5 part 1 on Mean Difficulty is ridiculous. They'll all over the screen, how are you supposed to deal with it!? Managed to get it but went from full health to only a sliver of it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finished Chapter 4. (spoilers)

The case itself was pretty darned cool, but Mikan's motive felt really weak (Assuming she doesn't factor back into the story later). It almost felt like the writers were like ".... fuck! She doesn't have a motive! Um... how about it's for love or something...? BRILLIANT!"

Also one of the few murders where I totally agree with the killer. Just waiting around to die is no way to live. Though I'm pretty sure he was also secretly doing so to help Sonia. Possibly the others as well, but probably mostly Sonia.

todd360

Chapter 5 spoilers
holy shit. That trial can't be topped. It was so perfect. I was feeling the despair. It all seemed hopeless. It was 4 am when I stopped playing. I couldn't put my vita down. I had to figure out the mysteries of the trial. Werid shit started happening after the trial, but I had to go to bed. Excited to boot up the vita and see what happens next.

Edit: the music was soooo good as well.

Dominator

I just did the Prologue so far but the main character seems annoying...

Hopefully he gets better. Awesome Prologue regardless, the island is massive.

sub_o

Wow too many references to Doraemon. Probably due to the VA being the original VA for Doraemon...

• Chapter 1:
    The idea that the younger sister is smarter than the brother, parallels Dorami and Doraemon
  • Chapter 2 - 3:
    Someone mentioned Take-copter
  • Chapter 4:
    They are afraid of mouse, because the fear of having their ears chewed off by a mouse, same thing happened to Doraemon

Question about chapter 4 trial. Again probably too obvious for me:

It's about the elevator position. I'd imagine I need to agree with Kuzuryu that Gundham had an accomplice (his hamsters that were shown to be able to operate the elevator?) but dunno how. Or am I entirely off on this?

dan2026

Which one? There were one about Saint Seiya (
the pegasus comet punch
)
Chapter 3 spoilers.
When Nekomaru throws himself in front of Monokumas blast, most of the dialogue is taken almost verbatim from when Piccolo protects Gohan from Nappa's blast.

'The time I spent with you wasn't so bad...'

'Don't die Gohan/Akane'
etc

Drago

Need help in Chapter 3 trial (first half)

who's account do I use against what statement when talking about alibis?

Trigger

Still in the middle of Chapter 1, but wow.
This cast is a bunch of assholes. They're all so rude to poor Monomi lol. She hasn't done anything bad that I can tell.

sub_o

Need help in Chapter 3 trial (first half)

who's account do I use against what statement when talking about alibis?

If I recalled correctly,
you need to prove that yourself have alibi during that time. Use it against people who said that you don't have one, or something

LX_Theo

Banned
I just did the Prologue so far but the main character seems annoying...

Hopefully he gets better. Awesome Prologue regardless, the island is massive.

What do you find annoying about him? I could probably give you a heads up on whether that continues.

Musolf815

Did my game just break? :/ Chapter 4 Investigation
I'm in a white room and can't move, there are pixel Monokuma's floating around. I really don't want to go back and do everything from the start of Chapter 3 again ughhghhhh
EDIT Nevermind I just used chapter select...hope that doesn't happen again.

I'm in a white room and can't move, there are pixel Monokuma's floating around. I really don't want to go back and do everything from the start of Chapter 3 again ughhghhhh

I had the same thing happen to me. Go to the main menu and choose chapter select. You can start from the Chapter 4 investigation.

Gazoinks

Ch 6 Trial

Oh wow. So not only do people die in real life, but they turn into vegetables. That's awful. Just drive that knife further in. Thanks.

Wait, Chiaki was an AI? Oooooh, all of her mysterious comments make sense now. ;_;

Makoto is here! Hopefully he's become less of a dweeb since the first game!

WE'RE THE REMNANTS OF DESPAIR. Holy crap!

I can't say Nagito's redeemed, but I sort of see what he was doing now. Still crazy though. And who was he if the real Makoto is just chilling here?

e:
Oh hey look it's giant Junko. How's it goin'.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
EDIT Nevermind I just used chapter select...hope that doesn't happen again.
I heard this happened to a few other users. I couldn't figure out how to replicate it, though. I'd look on YouTube, but don't wanna risk any spoilers since I'm only at Ch. 4's trial, & even then, I'm gonna quick go back & grab the 2 missing monokuma dolls I missed.

Dominator

What do you find annoying about him? I could probably give you a heads up on whether that continues.
Eh, I might find him annoying but I'm not going to stop playing the game so it doesn't really bother me all the much. Thanks for the offer though. The only thing I'd say is that he seems to
complain
a lot.

Gazoinks

Ch 6

Oh man it's Byakuya and Kyoko!

...wait, where are Toko, Hiro and Hina? Are they too dumb to get a cool entrance?

Akane's reaction to Byakuya's appearance was priceless.

HAJIME IS IZURU?! This gets crazier and crazier.

throughout. he's way less timid than Makoto.

He's sharper and more willing to put together his own conclusions too, Makoto only really started doing that at the end of the game.

LX_Theo

Banned
Eh, I might find him annoying but I'm not going to stop playing the game so it doesn't really bother me all the much. Thanks for the offer though. The only thing I'd say is that he seems to
complain
a lot.

I wouldn't worry about it if that's it, then.

Tidd

It's so hard to find great Vita games in stores in Germany. <.< But I finally got it. :3

A few impressions (& theories I guess) up to Ch. 2.

I never read any news about this game and I didn't knew which characters were in this game, so it was a surprise to see a FAT Byakuya. BUT THEN HE WAS THE FIRST VICTIM!!! WTF??? Why? What happened after the ending of DR1? What happened to HIM? Why is he fat? Why was he there? I DEMAND ANSWERS FOR THAT!!!

They really fooled me with the murderer for this case. I really thought it was Nagito. <.< But after that little twitst, it was clear who really killed him.

Then I went to a new island and there was this school ruin, with this door. Could it be that this is the same school as in DR1? Which would explain why Byakuya is on the Island but where are the others? Hiding? On the other islands? Dead? I guess I have to play more to find out the answer. :D

LX_Theo

Banned
Can't take the ending of Chapter 4 out of my head...
What happened to the Devas of Destruction after the end of the execution?? :(

I think
one of the surviving students comments later (much later) that they took the hamsters out on a walk. Its sort of just thrown into a scene where that's is not near the focal point of what's happening though, so its not address strongly. I get the impression everyone started taking care of them afterwards, despite them not talking about it much.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Trial 5 end.

FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!!

FUCK!!

I'm too scared to press the spoilers guys, this place is like a landmine field! But I have this theory... Please do not day yes or no to it LOL, but i think they
will be back and somehow scare the crap out of Monokuma and Minami and save everyone.

LiK

I'm too scared to press the spoilers guys, this place is like a landmine field! But I have this theory... Please do not day yes or no to it LOL, but i think they
will be back and somehow scare the crap out of Monokuma and Minami and save everyone.

that's correct+incorrect!

Gazoinks

Ch 6 + Epilogue

Woo!

Ending chapter was really nice. Hajime being the mastermind was a pretty crazy twist, and I liked the battle against himself and the loop and being helped by Chiaki and everything. It's a little cheesy, but it's cheesy in a good way, like the ending of the last game.

So Hajime wakes up, immediately goes out to get a haircut. Makes sense, I guess. :p It's sort of weird how unambiguous they were about him regaining his memories considering the set-up, but I guess they wanted to end on a completely hopeful note.

Also, did I miss something (I didn't do his Card), but did they never explain what Nagito's connection to Makoto was? Was that just a humongous red herring or what?

Overall, definitely better than the first game. The characters were more competent and likable, the plot and investigations were crazy and twisty, and the gameplay was mostly better. Kind of. Hangman's Gambit and P(I)TA were annoying, but I liked everything else. GOTY contender for sure.

Now onwards to the spoiler thread!

lol is this a plothole?

Chapter 2 Trial Spoilers
How is leaving a yellow gummi on the ground not littering? They even made a point of the littering rule when they brought up the water bottles!

Top Bottom