• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

hohoXD123

Spoilers (not really):
They're the best part of the game.

A lot of people seem to have had issues with this part. Odd since I got it right away. So many other things had me stumped, though.
Take the [Chapter 4 spoilers]
Othello puzzle in the Final Dead Room, for example. I'm still not entirely sure on the solution, even after having someone in the spoiler thread explain it to me after beating the game.

Oh man, so hyped now. Yeah, definitely GOTY.

Tizoc

A lot of people seem to have had issues with this part. Odd since I got it right away. So many other things had me stumped, though.
Othello puzzle in the Final Dead Room, for example. I'm still not entirely sure on the solution, even after having someone in the spoiler thread explain it to me after beating the game.

I never knew them as Othello, but I did study such concepts in school =)

Wichu

Spoilers (not really):
They're the best part of the game.

I actually got that one pretty quickly
the lights blink binary number sequences, so for each digit of the password you watch how the light blinks and treat that as a binary number (for example, the first digit's light was on/off/off/on, i.e. 1001 in binary which is 9 in decimal). The 'othello board' is actually just a reference table to convert binary numbers into decimal numbers.

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
I accidentally found out something odd about the framerate in this game. If you go to the Rocketpunch Supermarket, access the vending machine, open the item list and then exit, the whole game starts to run 60fps. This effect stays in effect as long as you don't open the menu with the square button. It's very bizarre, since during the "normal" 30fps gameplay some slowdown can be witnessed, especially during some class trial minigames. But when played on 60fps, the slowdown seems to disappear completely.

This makes me wonder if the game is really supposed to run consistently with this framerate? I contacted NISA about the matter (and about the various misplaced text pieces) and they said that nothing could be done. It's kind of a shame, really. Of course, these flaws didn't ruin the game by any means, but it feels kind of sad to think how we could have gotten a perfectly optimized experience. At first I thought the Panic Talk Action delay was intended, but after trying it with the 60fps framerate, it was definitely meant to be played like that.

And yeah, I know, "what does the framerate matter in a game like this?" but come on, just try the Panic Talk Action with 60fps.

just finished chapter 5 and god damn these feels. this was the only time in this game that i actually felt really sad.

why'd it have to be chiaki. that execution was probably the most brutal.

also,
with all this glitchy stuff happening, i'm gonna be upset if it has some off the wall, weird ass surprise twist like virtue's last reward had.

:/

I accidentally found out something odd about the framerate in this game. If you go to the Rocketpunch Supermarket, access the vending machine, open the item list and then exit, the whole game starts to run 60fps. This effect stays in effect as long as you don't open the menu with the square button. It's very bizarre, since during the "normal" 30fps gameplay some slowdown can be witnessed, especially during some class trial minigames. But when played on 60fps, the slowdown seems to disappear completely.

This makes me wonder if the game is really supposed to run consistently with this framerate? I contacted NISA about the matter (and about the various misplaced text pieces) and they said that nothing could be done. It's kind of a shame, really. Of course, these flaws didn't ruin the game by any means, but it feels kind of sad to think how we could have gotten a perfectly optimized experience. At first I thought the Panic Talk Action delay was intended, but after trying it with the 60fps framerate, it was definitely meant to be played like that.

And yeah, I know, "what does the framerate matter in a game like this?" but come on, just try the Panic Talk Action with 60fps.

Oh that's really strange, I thought there was something wrong with my eyes, I experienced the exact same thing today.
Too bad for the framerate. I find it more chopped than the original Dangan Ronpa PSP release
or I am remembering it wrong.

Wichu

Well Case 3 was good but the weakest so far.

But goddamn the ending, didnt expect that.

I actually liked case 3 more than 1 and 2. The creepiness of
the recording
and the shock of
two murders, the second of which was completely unexpected
, and
the killer's breakdown
were all great. On the other hand, it did make my opinion on that character change from 'might be interesting' to 'NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE'.

EDIT: Also updated my avatar slightly (mostly the face) and added a background.
W9CdyG9.png
pTZ48qE.png

If anyone wants to use the background, feel free (I'm currently using the avatar).

the recording
and the shock of
, and
the killer's breakdown
were all great. On the other hand, it did make my opinion on that character change from 'might be interesting' to 'NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE'.

W9CdyG9.png
pTZ48qE.png

If anyone wants to use the background, feel free (I'm currently using the avatar).

Think you could make a Nagito for me? I would be your bestest friend forever if you did.

Busaiku

Man, walking through the island takes so long, even with running.
But then they introduced this pet thing, so now I can't even fast travel.

Why would they do this to me.

PK Gaming

the recording
and the shock of
, and
the killer's breakdown

W9CdyG9.png
pTZ48qE.png

Wow, you drew that? She looks amazing, great work!

I'm totally gonna wait until you're done using it :p

After finishing the game, you should go back and look at case 3. Everything suddenly makes sense.

I am on Chapter 4 now.

Spoilers from Chapter 3 combined from what you actually said made me think this

I believe the despair disease is actually some of the students suddenly having part of their memories back.

AwShucks

Switched to English after the prologue. Almost every Japanese voice is great...except I didn't like the main character voice or Monokuma. Which are probably the two most important voices.

Isotope

Finished Chapter 4; it was definitely much better than 3. I feel like I'm about to go on an even crazier rollercoaster after this chapter however. :V

Goodstyle

Chapter 2
So i'm at the diner
My body is ready for bathing suited waifus
I'm sitting there
waiting patiently
my heart pounding in anticipation
someone walks through the door
panning up a bathing suited body
my heart is pounding really hard
when all of a sudden
we see gamer chick's face
instantly the blood rushes back to my head
my heart stops pounding
my body was ready for Sonia
not this narcoleptic... gamer

Another waifu enters the frame
my heart is pounding furiously
Could it be? Has my princess arrived?
Alas, it was not to be.
It was that pig Akane covered in blood
no one wanted to see her in a swim suit
no one NEEDED to see her rather
she is already barely dressed
what purpose does she serve
what does she bring?
nothing
the answer is nothing
my hope... it dwindles fast

a third arrived
could it be... no... of course not
it is Peko
wearing glasses for some stupid reason even though she's going swimming
but my focus wasn't on her eyes nor her breast
the only thought on my mind
"Did she wipe?"
is she... clean?
the wait continues...

No...
Nooooooooooo
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
what cruel fate?
what unholy truth
ooh whoa is me
My body
it was primed
it was ready
yet what they took away what I wanted most
what we ALL wanted most
yet they show is pointless nonsense
like Chiaki, who somehow excited Hajime (it seems he has no standards), Akane who is already constantly half naked, and the shit-stained samurai herself Peko...
but they fail to show us the princess
the star attraction
nay
they deprive me of my need...
my BIRTH RIGHT
for a cheap joke
I... I am at a loss
A wet suit....
A FUCKING WET SUIT!
This is true despair!

I was deciding between Chiaki, Gundham, and Nagito before going with Chiaki, so chances are good that I'll draw him at some point :)

Can I formally claim your Gundam? Cuz I mean wow, that Chiaki is top-tier pixel art. Which pose were you thinking of drawing him in?

Syrinx

Chapter 3 trial: Help pls

I'm stuck on another nonstop debate. What's the solution to the one about how Ibuki was killed by strangling instead of hanging? I feel like this one should be more obvious than the one I was stuck on in Chapter 2 but I'm coming up blank.

Chris R

Doing the 2nd trial right now :(

Hope it doesn't end like I see it ending already. Would kinda suck if it was that simple...

The despair is setting in though :(

PK Gaming

Chapter 2
So i'm at the diner
My body is ready for bathing suited waifus
I'm sitting there
waiting patiently
my heart pounding in anticipation
someone walks through the door
panning up a bathing suited body
my heart is pounding really hard
when all of a sudden
we see gamer chick's face
instantly the blood rushes back to my head
my heart stops pounding
my body was ready for Sonia
not this narcoleptic... gamer

Another waifu enters the frame
my heart is pounding furiously
Could it be? Has my princess arrived?
Alas, it was not to be.
It was that pig Akane covered in blood
no one wanted to see her in a swim suit
no one NEEDED to see her rather
she is already barely dressed
what purpose does she serve
what does she bring?
nothing
the answer is nothing
my hope... it dwindles fast

a third arrived
could it be... no... of course not
it is Peko
wearing glasses for some stupid reason even though she's going swimming
but my focus wasn't on her eyes nor her breast
the only thought on my mind
"Did she wipe?"
is she... clean?
the wait continues...

No...
Nooooooooooo
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
what cruel fate?
what unholy truth
ooh whoa is me
My body
it was primed
it was ready
yet what they took away what I wanted most
what we ALL wanted most
yet they show is pointless nonsense
like Chiaki, who somehow excited Hajime (it seems he has no standards), Akane who is already constantly half naked, and the shit-stained samurai herself Peko...
but they fail to show us the princess
the star attraction
nay
they deprive me of my need...
my BIRTH RIGHT
for a cheap joke
I... I am at a loss
A wet suit....
A FUCKING WET SUIT!
This is true despair!

Even though I disagree with you on just about everything, your post was goddamn hilarious

Poor Peko :lol

Yasumi

Banned
Chapter 3 trial: Help pls

I'm stuck on another nonstop debate. What's the solution to the one about how Ibuki was killed by strangling instead of hanging? I feel like this one should be more obvious than the one I was stuck on in Chapter 2 but I'm coming up blank.
Frayed rope on Soda's statement.

DaBoss

Thank you.

I didn't even really bother with that statement since it just seemed so redundant.
Chapter 3 trial:
Yea, I didn't really get that either. I thought it was very obvious it is a lie, so I thought everyone else knew that as well, but...

Syrinx

My Vita's battery ran out during the Chapter 3 trial. My fault for not noticing.
Ain't that mad though, since I was stuck on that nonstop debate (I kinda suck at these) where you're trying to prove it was Mikan in that video, and this allows me to think on it some. Just trying to look for a weakness in what she's saying: it doesn't seem like any of her statements contradict each other, so while I feel I need to absorb a statement and fire it back at her, since I haven't done that yet in this trial, I really don't see where. I'm struggling to think of something in the video that tips off that that's Mikan in the video though. And how any truth bullets apply to it. The heat in the venue is spicious as fuck, but I'm not sure where that fits.

I'm not asking for the answer, since I think this is one I should figure out myself. Watching Mikan post-conviction should be interesting, assuming she's the killer, which it seems she is, unless this game is gonna pull the carpet out from underneath at the last second.

LX_Theo

Banned
My Vita's battery ran out during the Chapter 3 trial. My fault for not noticing.
Ain't that mad though, since I was stuck on that nonstop debate (I kinda suck at these) where you're trying to prove it was Mikan in that video, and this allows me to think on it some. Just trying to look for a weakness in what she's saying: it doesn't seem like any of her statements contradict each other, so while I feel I need to absorb a statement and fire it back at her, since I haven't done that yet in this trial, I really don't see where. I'm struggling to think of something in the video that tips off that that's Mikan in the video though. And how any truth bullets apply to it. The heat in the venue is spicious as fuck, but I'm not sure where that fits.

I'm not asking for the answer, since I think this is one I should figure out myself. Watching Mikan post-conviction should be interesting, assuming she's the killer, which it seems she is, unless this game is gonna pull the carpet out from underneath at the last second.
The best way to prove a person is involved in something through their testimony is to show they have knowledge of something they couldn't have unless they are. If you're on the section I'm thinking of, that's how you should approach it.

Syrinx

The best way to prove a person is involved in something through their testimony is to show they have knowledge of something they couldn't have unless they are. If you're on the section I'm thinking of, that's how you should approach it.

(Danganronpa 1 spoilers and Chapter 3 (in DR2) spoilers)
This was kinda tricky for me in the first game where you have to nail the biker dude on him knowing the color of Chihiro's gym uniform (or something like that). As for this case, nothing seems particularly odd about the first three things she brings up (the hemp bag, hospital gown, and slippers are all pretty plain-to-see). Probably something with the differing body types/camera angle/candle lighting.

I suppose my best guess at this point is in her knowledge of how similar the conference room is to the stage, where the black curtain would probably be most relevant.

Sorian

Banned
(Danganronpa 1 spoilers and Chapter 3 (in DR2) spoilers)
This was kinda tricky for me in the first game where you have to nail the biker dude on him knowing the color of Chihiro's gym uniform (or something like that). As for this case, nothing seems particularly odd about the first three things she brings up (the hemp bag, hospital gown, and slippers are all pretty plain-to-see). Probably something with the differing body types/camera angle/candle lighting.

I suppose my best guess at this point is in her knowledge of how similar the conference room is to the stage, where the black curtain would probably be most relevant.

Your guess is wrong but you are on the right track on doubting the body type/camera angle/candle lighting.

Bigger hint:
I believe you actually have to make your own truth bullet for this section, not use one of the supplied ones

Ondore

Ran through a couple of chapters today, and I think I hit the point where I started speed-napping to get back to the investigate scenes in the 1st game.

Also, the end of ch3/start of ch4 just about ran me out of "wut".
SPOILERS FOR START OF CHAPTER 4
So Nekomaru's a freaking robot now... I would love to know how they pulled that off, and I get the feeling he's gonna go down in this chapter. With Soda as a fakeout, 'cause I have no clue who the killer for that would be.

FluxWaveZ

I'm confused as to what this game is like... from what I'm reading it seems like a cross between persona and phoenix wright.

Cross between Ace Attorney, Battle Royale, Persona and Zero Escape, and this is an accurate description. It's one I was wary of when the first game was described to me back in late 2013, but Danganronpa is pretty much that, if one wants a quick overview of it.

Welp I'm in. Is the first one available digitally?

Yes.

Cross between Ace Attorney, Battle Royale, Persona and Zero Escape, and this is an accurate description. It's one I was wary of when the first game was described to me back in late 2013, but Danganronpa is pretty much that, if one wants a quick overview of it.

Welp I'm in. Is the first one available digitally?

Can someone make me one of those white/black background avatars with Nagito in it? I see
the best girls
Sonia and the Ultimate Photographer (I'm still not used to the names of most characters lol) have been taken. :(

Wynnebeck

Banned
So just started the game and got to the part
where Monokuma unveils everyone has lost their school memories. Him talking about hearing this story before had me rolling.
So far Teruteru is my favorite character out of everyone. Dude is just too wild lol.

Can someone make me one of those white/black background avatars with Nagito in it? I see
the best girls
Sonia and the Ultimate Photographer (I'm still not used to the names of most characters lol) have been taken. :(

Sure thing, I'll get right on it. Did you have a particular sprite you wanted?

I was reppin' Akane with the black and white background before, but I had to switch to my main man Gundam because he's just that awesome.

Top Bottom