• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Labrys

BTdiYqJ.png

Please note! This thread contains spoilers for Danganronpa 1 and Danganronpa 2. It is advised you play both of these games before playing this one.

Playstation Vita Theme | Japanese Voice DLC (1.8gb)

Spoiler Thread! Post Spoilers there!

Content Warning
Chapter 3 contains content related to sexual assault. The ESRB page provides slight specifics, while others are not detailed there. Please be safe while playing.

Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Publisher: NIS America
Platform: Vita
Release Date:
Japan: September 25, 2014
North America: September 1, 2015
Europe: September 4, 2015
Australia & NZ: September 10, 2015
MSRP: $39.99, £29.99,
Website: http://nisamerica.com/games/danganronpa-another-episode

Standard Edition:
Limited Edition:

Synopsis:

Komaru Naegi, sister of Makoto Naegi, was imprisoned in an apartment during The Tragedy. One morning after being trapped after a year and a half, someone knocked down her door. It was a Monokuma, who she had to escape from. She learns that the outside world is full of despair. Control Komaru in a third person shooter type game while you uncover secrets and discover Despair.

Cast:
(From Left to Right)

The Resistance
kjZTGVV.png

Komaru Naegi, Toko Fukawa, Yuta Asahina, Taichi Fujisaki, Hiroko Hagakure, Haiji Towa
Voiced by: Aya Uchida (Kotori Minami from Love Live!, Io Nitta from Devil Survivor 2), Miyuki Sawashiro (Elizabeth from Persona 3, Jolyene Cujoh from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure),
Toko Aoyama (Amethyst from Steven Universe's JPN Dub, Ullr from Valkyrie Profile 2), Koki Miyata (Labrador from 07-Ghost, Kouta Tsuchiya from Baka to Test), Chihiro Ishiguro (Feene from Conception II),
Shinichiro Miki (Gyro Zeppeli from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Kisuke Urahara from Bleach)

The Warriors of Hope
ucH2jnv.png

Kotoko Utsugi (Fighter), Masaru Daimon (Hero), Monaca (Mage), Nagisa Shingetsu (Sage), Jataro Kemuri (Priest)
Voiced by: Kazusa Aranami (Mario Natsume from Penguindrum, Farun from Conception), Megumi Han (Rinko Yamato from Ore Monogatari, Akko Kagari from Little Witch Academia),
Aya Hirano (Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Konata Izumi from Lucky Star), Mariya Ise (Killua Zoldyck from Hunter x Hunter, I-401 from Kancolle),
Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori from Chuunbiyou, ChuChu from Show By Rock)

Familiar and Unfamiliar Faces
EYa3eFt.png

Kurokuma, The Servant, Shirokuma
Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (Yukari Takeba from Persona 3, Haruka from Senran Kagura), Megumi Ogata (Shinji Ikari from Evangelion, Yugi Moto from Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Mechanics:

The Hacking Gun:
You can shoot Truth Bullets from the Hacking Gun to break and Hack the Monokumas running wild. There are 8 types of Truth Bullets:
  • Break: Damages Monokumas
  • Burn: Sends the Monokuma in flames, rapid fire.
  • Paralyze: Self explanatory. Damages all enemies in the area.
  • Knockback: Knocks back enemies.
  • Dance: Makes Monokumas dance and prevents them from doing anything for a short time.
  • Link: Temporarily control a Monokuma.
  • Move: Activates electronics and machines.
  • Detect: Reveals hidden things.

Genocide Jack:
Returning from the original game, if you press the Triangle button with 1 or more battery gauge filled, Toko will transform into her other personality.
She doesn't take damage while transformed, but the battery will drain.

Screenshots:
(Screenshots are taken from Japanese version, English screenshots will be added once I get the game.)

End note:

Sorry for the lacklustre OT everyone. It kinda snuck up on me and I've been dealing with a sick dog along with school.
I'll be cleaning it up as time goes on. Have fun discussing the game.

I'm out of town (and away from my PC/consoles) until Sept 6th so this is what I'll be playing to keep my mind off of Metal Gear.

Looking forward to it despite not being too jazzed about how the shooting gameplay looks.

bigkrev

Sad they didn't push it back a week to miss Metal Gear, but happy to play it.

Hope Komaru is at least 50% of the dork Makoto was!

My LE from NISA is still processing. I guess I'll be avoiding this thread for about two weeks since it'll take a week to get here

Nesther

Regret not preordering. Hoping I can end up finding a copy on release day when I go pick up MGS at Best Buy.

D-Man

Still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy so I can play it as soon as I get home from school on Tuesday. I can't wait to dive into another Dang it Grandpa game.

Gimme more despair.
uJ3NZrY.gif

FluxWaveZ

Looking forward to reading impressions. I guess I should set up a spoiler thread soon like those for the previous games to give people a place to discuss them openly and so that those still playing won't have to worry so much about that here.

Also, RIP to the Danganronpa community members who won't be here for the game's launch due to that one thread. Hopefully you'll be able to join the discussion soon enough.

Same here. I'm a bit sad that I won't get to play on release, but I guess that way it goes. Despair.

My LE from NISA is still processing. I guess I'll be avoiding this thread for about two weeks since it'll take a week to get here

I dunno, my copy of The Firefly Diary LE came to me while my order still said "processing" and then I received shipping details three days later (and my LE showed up a day before release). So do not despair, they could just be slow sending out the shipping notices as they get the LEs and SEs shipped out for timely delivery

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really hype for this. I just finished reading the English translation of DR:Zero. :D

FluxWaveZ

Really hype for this. I just finished reading the English translation of DR:Zero. :D

Nice. I highly recommend all Danganronpa fans seek that out. It's what boosted my confidence that DR:AE would have a good story back when it was announced, as I didn't think it'd be as compelling outside of the confines of a killing game.

BTA

I dunno, my copy of The Firefly Diary LE came to me while my order still said "processing" and then I received shipping details three days later (and my LE showed up a day before release). So do not despair, they could just be slow sending out the shipping notices as they get the LEs and SEs shipped out for timely delivery

Hoping this is the case; mine's still apparently "pending verification" and I'd really like to play through this ASAP. Gonna be pretty busy soon and I don't want to have to put this aside.

Super stoked, but I am most likely going to be avoiding the OT in fear of any kind of spoilers. Also, twitter. And tumblr. And any kind of social media in which people are talking about this game. I'm going into it somewhat blind, and I cannot wait.

Why does Australia get this game later than everyone else?

Gonna have to go on lock-down again since Danganronpa is the easiest series in the universe to instantly spoil yourself on.

VegiHam

Few extra days wait before the European release. I'm excited but terrified of post-american-release spoilers now.

Roto13

It was nice to play a game in this universe that isn't as restrictive as a visual novel.
Nice to see what the world outside is really like for once.

Prelude.

Nice. I highly recommend all Danganronpa fans seek that out. It's what boosted my confidence that DR:AE would have a good story back when it was announced, as I didn't think it'd be as compelling outside of the confines of a killing game.
How long does it take to read? Should I read it before UDG or after?

kewlmyc

It's on it's way now to my house, but will probably put is aside for MGSV since I've been spoiled about DR:AE to hell and back. Hopefully the dub is good. DR1 and DR2 had surprisingly decent dubs for a niche Vita only game.

It's on it's way now to my house, but will probably put is aside for MGSV since I've been spoiled about DR:AE to hell and back. Hopefully the dub is good. DR1 and DR2 had surprisingly decent dubs for a niche Vita only game.

One of the reviewers, with NIS America's permission, put the first 20 minutes of the game on Youtube and the dub sounded great. This is coming from someone whom only played the first 2 games (and my import copy of DR:AE) with Japanese dubs.

FluxWaveZ

How long does it take to read? Should I read it before UDG or after?

It took me a day to read it. There are no spoilers in it for DR:AE, but it's a fantastic story that made me appreciate a certain character way more than I did after I played DR2. It gives a lot of context to the real world events leading up to DR:AE, so I'd recommend it before playing that game, but it's fine to read it afterwards.

JTripper

I've never played a Danganronpa game but I really want to play the first two. That said, is this title more of a spin-off than a sequel?

I should really finish Danganronpa 2 before playing this. I must know just what the hell the ending of the first game was all about. Left my mind full of fuck.

Steel

Banned
I've never played a Danganronpa game but I really want to play the first two. That said, is this title more of a spin-off than a sequel?

In terms of sheer amount of spoilers, play the other two games first. In terms of chronology, it takes place after the first game and before the second.

kewlmyc

At least beating DR1 is required in order to fully appreciate this game and not get DR1 completely spoiled for you. You might have parts of DR2 spoiled if you play DR:AE before it, but not as significant of spoilers as playing DR:AE before DR1.

Top Bottom