• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

FluxWaveZ

I mean,
the fact that he's an Ultimate Despair(or whatever it's called) in DR: AE

That part of it is not spoiled in the least in DR:AE (unless I'm forgetting something?).
He isn't even ever named other than "servant" throughout the whole game. His origins are barely discussed.

Steel

Banned
That part of it is not spoiled in the least in DR:AE (unless I'm forgetting something?).

I actually assumed his presence meant that that part of it was spoiled, haven't played AE yet. It's kinda hard to imagine how they wouldn't spoil that, in at minimum an implicit manner. But if they don't, then I guess that's good.

FluxWaveZ

I actually assumed his presence meant that that part of it was spoiled, haven't played AE yet. It's kinda hard to imagine how they wouldn't spoil that, in at minimum an implicit manner. But if they don't, then I guess that's good.

Yep, it isn't spoiled at all. A lot of people are assuming things, but to me it actually seemed as if they made DR:AE with the express intention of keeping things vague regarding DR2, and potentially making players want to play DR2 after playing AE.

GoldStarz

He isn't even ever named other than "servant" throughout the whole game. His origins are barely discussed.

The
existence of the Remnants of Despair
play an important role in the endgame,
I think it's pretty easy to make the connect that Komaeda is one of them by the epilogue.

FluxWaveZ

The
existence of the Remnants of Despair
play an important role in the endgame,
I think it's pretty easy to make the connect that Komaeda is one of them by the epilogue.

No, it really isn't. If you have no knowledge of DR2, it's absolutely not easy to make any sort of connection like that.

There's too much extrapolation at play by people who have played DR2, and base what could be spoilers for it in DR:AE based on the knowledge they already have.

GoldStarz

No, it really isn't. If you have no knowledge of DR2, it's absolutely not easy to make any sort of connection like that.

There's too much extrapolation at play by people who have played DR2, and base what could be spoilers for it in DR:AE based on the knowledge they already have.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree here then, I think it's pretty plainly spelled out, you think it's ambiguous enough that only Chapter 1 spoilers are there, we're clearly not gonna get agree on anything other than that it's at least recommended to play in release order.

Roto13

I mean,
the fact that he's an Ultimate Despair(or whatever it's called) in DR: AE
might spoil the fact that
everyone in DR 2 is an ultimate despair. I'd imagine the connection would be easy to make once Mikan gets executed and gets her memory back.

That would be a huge leap, since Nagito is clearly nuts by the end of the first chapter of DR2 and everyone else seems fine. If you didn't assume that everyone was crazy when Nagito turned out to be nuts in DR2, why would you assume that after seeing him be nuts in Ultra Despair Girls?

FluxWaveZ

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here then, I think it's pretty plainly spelled out, you think it's ambiguous enough that only Chapter 1 spoilers are there, we're clearly not gonna get agree on anything other than that it's at least recommended to play in release order.

As Roto13 mentions, I guess we have to agree to disagree, but there is no reasonable explanation behind that leap of logic. All of these claims I've seen about what DR:AE could spoil for DR2 (many from people who haven't played DR:AE) but 1-2 have been baseless leaps of logic that wouldn't make sense for anyone who didn't have knowledge of DR2 to make.

rEroXSy.jpg

This game will be my next platinum.

God I think I'm like 1-2 trophies away from the platinum in DR1. It's the item slot machine stuff left I think and I just forgot about it until now.'

I played and finished the Japanese version of SDR2, and I bought the LE of it when it was localized and never even touched the game (cause I technically already played it on PSP).

I should go through SDR2 again

I wonder if I should replay 1 in an effort to remember the story. Maybe while working toward a platinum?

People who platinumed the first game, did you go back and play it all over again? Any tips?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wonder if I should replay 1 in an effort to remember the story. Maybe while working toward a platinum?

People who platinumed the first game, did you go back and play it all over again? Any tips?

Why don't you just watch the trials on Youtube? (they recap everything the happens in the chapters anyways). Ultra Despair Girls comes out in 2 days, would be the fastest way to refresh your memory imo.

Why don't you just watch the trials on Youtube? (they recap everything the happens in the chapters anyways). Ultra Despair Girls comes out in 2 days, would be the fastest way to refresh your memory imo.

Not in a huge hurry to play Another Episode with MGSV also coming out and being in college. I just need a little of something from Danganronpa on the side.

But I guess most of the story information does come from the trials huh?

nikos

Shelfed DR2 for a while but I started back up and I'm on Chapter 4's trial. Not sure if I'll finish before Tuesday, but I'm picking this up regardless.

I know nothing about this game, but Danganronpa = instabuy.

God I can't believe this is gonna be the first DR game I ever actually play on release with GAF, and I was pretty much part of DanganGAF before there was an actual DanganGAF. However, I finally got a Vita so I'll actually be able to play instead of just discussing the story on day 1...assuming PSN stopped having issues with my credit card when adding funds =__=

GoldStarz

Not in a huge hurry to play Another Episode with MGSV also coming out and being in college. I just need a little of something from Danganronpa on the side.

But I guess most of the story information does come from the trials huh?

I actually know a silent playthrough that goes through the whole story if you want a link to it.

If you do go back in replay though, my suggestion would be to catch all of Toko and Jill's FTEs

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Well, that's your fault for caring about gameinformer.

What do you mean, does Gameinformer have a bad reputation when it comes to reviews?

I'm still getting the game. I like the site for their previews more than IGN or Gamespot plus GI's reviews tend to be more fair but a bad review won't keep from from this game.

Roto13

What do you mean, does Gameinformer have a bad reputation when it comes to reviews?

I'm still getting the game. I like the site for their previews more than IGN or Gamespot plus GI's reviews tend to be more fair but a bad review won't keep from from this game.

Game Informer is a Gamestop flyer that you pay for.

PK Gaming

Playing DR:AE before DR2 isn't the worst thing you can do, but you definitely miss out on an important experience.

Namely, Nagito revealing his true colors towards the end of Chapter 1. That distinct betrayal you experience helps sets the tone for the entire game. Even if you suspect him from the get go (which is fairly likely, given how unnatural he is) his breakdown followed by that insane laughter is something you can't possible predict. It's one of the most important experiences in DR2, and an experience that is significantly lessened if you played DR:AE in advance.

Nagito in general is an incredibly important figure in DR2, and knowing more about him takes away from the intrigue surrounding his character.

TP

Preordered my copy from BestBuy weeks ago
website said I would get it on release day

it hasn't even shipped

iTMkvjH.jpg

Hektor

Does the Limited Edition from the NISA store ship to europe? And if so, how much would the shipping cost? I think about cancelling my amazon preorder in favor of the LE.

Does the Limited Edition from the NISA store ship to europe? And if so, how much would the shipping cost? I think about cancelling my amazon preorder in favor of the LE.

NISA don't ship to europe through the american store any more.

They have a specific Europe store instead. Hope you enjoy massive price hikes. ($65 in the american store for LE, £60 in the EU store...)
http://store.nisaeurope.com/
http://store.nisaeurope.com/collect...r-episode-ultra-despair-girls-limited-edition

N° 2048

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't give a shit about reviews. Played 9/10s that were shit. And played 3/10s that were amazing.

My opinion is the only one that matters because I'm playing.

Anywho, holy shit at chapter 4,5,6 in DR2. Almost at the final trial.

enigmatic_alex44

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't give a shit about reviews. Played 9/10s that were shit. And played 3/10s that were amazing.

My opinion is the only one that matters because I'm playing.

Anywho, holy shit at chapter 4,5,6 in DR2. Almost at the final trial.

My issue with the GI review is that it brings the Metacritic score far below 80 making it look much worse than the other two games so new fans may pass on this game altogether thinking it's not as good.

Chapters 4, 5 and 6 in DR2 were just insane, I finally finished the game myself a few weeks ago. Honestly the two *huge spoilers from the 2nd game*
saddest scenes in the series so far being Gundham's death with his hamsters saying goodbye to him and Chiaki & Usami/Monomi trying to escape their fate.
I legit teared up I am not gonna lie. UGH :*(

Felensis

Banned
Just finished DR1 yesterday. Took me ~32hrs and I had a total blast with it! It's my second VN after 999. DR2 just arrived a couple days ago, but since Another Episode is taking place between them I'm thinking about playing it first before I dive into DR2.

enigmatic_alex44

Just finished DR1 yesterday. Took me ~32hrs and I had a total blast with it! It's my second VN after 999. DR2 just arrived a couple days ago, but since Another Episode is taking place between them I'm thinking about playing it first before I dive into DR2.

@ the bolded, please tell me you plan to play Virtue's Last Reward!

Saphirax

Don't play AE before DR2. AE spoils important stuff that happens in DR2.

N° 2048

Do DR2 before AE.

hamchan

Why? Why not just play it in release order since that's the way the story came out?

theecakee

You should play VLR as well, I think its much better then 999. Also yeah don't play AE before 2.

Game Informer is a GameStop flyer that you pay for.

GameInformer is definitely reputable, I'm not sure I will agree with this review by them but they are not just a flyer. They break news and have some of the best previews in the industry with their cover stories. Just one potentially bad review shouldn't tank them as "just some GameStop flyer".

Play them in fucking release order

Always

Yomidi

Yeah, it seems that you need to play DR2 before AE, since there are some DR2 stuff.
But I always recommend to play games in release order, you can't go wrong with that.

Ideally, the order should be DR1>DR0>DR2>DRAE

The DR2 stuff may not be too big of a deal in AE without context, but it's still better to play that first I'd say. Reading DR0 is not necessarily needed either before or after DR2, but it does add to the worldbuilding and to some characters' backstories.

I dunno, my copy of The Firefly Diary LE came to me while my order still said "processing" and then I received shipping details three days later (and my LE showed up a day before release). So do not despair, they could just be slow sending out the shipping notices as they get the LEs and SEs shipped out for timely delivery

But despair is the only appropriate emotion. I hope you're right though.

Top Bottom