• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

SO HYPED. I ordered the LE, though, which means I have to wait for NISA's slow-ass shipping instead of hopping in day one. Which is fine, since I still have to finish off Neptunia RB3.
Wait, what?

Not to derail too hard, but- there was a thread a week or so ago about an article bashing on fanservice-ey Japanese games, and a lot of bans were handed out. As you'd imagine a fair number of them were to people who were also Danganronpa OT regulars.

//ARCANUM

Could someone PM me a link to an english version of Danganronpa Zero in PDF format? Having trouble finding one while googling...

Why did this game have to come out on Fan Expo week. I guess I could bring my Vita with me and play it on the train. The first time I would being taking outside the house.

Alfredo

I'm going to a Metal Gear midnight release event tomorrow night...just to pick up Danganronpa AE.

I'm going to try to finish the game before this weekend because I'm going to an anime convention, and I'm paranoid as hell about getting this game spoiled for me by cosplayers like the other ones.

BTA

It took me a day to read it. There are no spoilers in it for DR:AE, but it's a fantastic story that made me appreciate a certain character way more than I did after I played DR2. It gives a lot of context to the real world events leading up to DR:AE, so I'd recommend it before playing that game, but it's fine to read it afterwards.

Specifically, beyond showing what the school was like in general, it also addresses some of the things that were retconned about its structure in DR2. It definitely helps to read it before DR2 because of that, among other things.

Oh, and I almost just forgot that
there's also that glitched noise near the end of DR2 that was absolutely full of spoilers for DR0's twist. I'm still amazed that they left it in, but kinda love it.

hamchan

I should really finish Danganronpa 2 before playing this. I must know just what the hell the ending of the first game was all about. Left my mind full of fuck.

I think you NEED to play DR2 before this. I presume there will be heavy spoilers for DR2 and the twists in it in this game.

FluxWaveZ

I think you NEED to play DR2 before this. I presume there will be heavy spoilers for DR2 and the twists in it in this game.

Definitely not. There are essentially no spoilers for DR2 with one exception
in the final cutscene, that one could maybe interpret as a DR2 spoiler.

I dunno, my copy of The Firefly Diary LE came to me while my order still said "processing" and then I received shipping details three days later (and my LE showed up a day before release). So do not despair, they could just be slow sending out the shipping notices as they get the LEs and SEs shipped out for timely delivery

Well I'm also in Canada, so it's basically guaranteed to come a week after release with a slight chance of getting fucked by customs.

I remember the DR:AE Import spoilers thread and just going through ALL OF IT because I was so curious about the plot and such.

Thankfully I have forgotten most of it because I'm an idiot, so I'll be going through AE mostly fresh

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
2 MORE DAYS. Hoping LEs will start shipping out tomorrow. Now I just need to find the free time to play this, especially when all the spoiler tags start appearing.

Speaking of which, people did a great job in the previous DR OTs, but just as a friendly reminder, PLEASE mention what chapter & such you're on when labeling spoilers. You don't want to be on Ch. 2 to realize you clicked a spoiler meant for Ch. 6 or something because it wasn't labeled as such.

FluxWaveZ

Alright, here are the things that DR:AE spoils for DR2, so DR2 SPOILERS (and, maybe slightly by proxy, DR:AE ones):

The fact that Nagito is a "mastermind" type of person who sways between despair and hope, with an obsession for the latter and for Junko.
(Chapter 1 of DR2)
The fact that Junko still "lives" as an AI construct
(Finale of DR2)
The fact that the DR1 survivors now work for Future Foundation.
(Finale of DR2)
The fact that next time shit hits the fan, Makoto wants to have hands-on involvement.
(Finale of DR2)
There's some dude with long hair who seems to be on Junko's side.
(Not really a spoiler for anything)

I'm one who is very sensitive to spoilers, but I try to imagine how I would feel if I played DR:AE before DR2, and it's nowhere close to how problematic it would be to play, say, DR:AE before DR1. None of it is explicit in terms of spoiling a DR2 twist except for point 1, and I think it actually acts as a very interesting setup for DR2 if one plays DR:AE before it, due to the ending.

I kind of wish I didn't see that in the OT...

It's "spoiled" literally in the first 1-2 hours of DR2. It's a cool "oh shit," moment, but it's so early in the game that it's not that big of a deal.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The poor reviews have dampened my excitement for this a bit. Still getting it Tuesday but Gameinformer tore AE a new one, yikes. Hopefully the story is as good as DR 1&2.

It's "spoiled" literally in the first 1-2 hours of DR2. It's a cool "oh shit," moment, but it's so early in the game that it's not that big of a deal.

I'm not talking about the DR2 spoiler. I have played it. I just meant that the character makes an appearance in this game. Would have been a nice surprise.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not talking about the DR2 spoiler. I have played it. I just meant that the character makes an appearance in this game. Would have been a nice surprise.

Ah, I see. Yeah, it's as much of a "spoiler" as the character's nature in DR2, but their first appearance is not made a big deal out of in DR:AE at all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*checks to see what GI scored AE* A
, huh? Well, the rest of the reviews have mainly been positive, & I stopped caring about GI long, long ago, especially considering they score by freakin' quarter points (what's the difference between a 3.25 & 3.5?)

Oh right, there's a Vita theme of AE, wonder when we'll get that. Would've made for a nice pre-order &/or LE timed bonus.

hamchan

The poor reviews have dampened my excitement for this a bit. Still getting it Tuesday but Gameinformer tore AE a new one, yikes. Hopefully the story is as good as DR 1&2.

I'm actually surprised at the decent review scores considering the change of genre. It ain't no Yakuza Dead Souls in terms of poor reviews that's for sure.

TBH, the actual gameplay parts of Danganronpa have always been the weakest part of the game.

FluxWaveZ

TBH, the actual gameplay parts of Danganronpa have always been the weakest part of the game.

That's the thing. Even in DR1 and DR2, the actual gameplay sways between "bad" and "decent," while the story and cast of characters makes up for that.

DR:AE is very much a Danganronpa game in that respect, in that the gameplay definitely sways between bad and decent, while the story, characters and aesthetic make up for that.

OMG Aero

Just out of curiosity was it mentioned in DR1 or 2 that the other characters have siblings or were they invented just for this game?
I remember Makoto having a sister obviously but I don't remember anyone else mentioning family except for Byakuya who had loads of siblings he had to compete with for his title.

I've had this on order for so long that I completely forgot it came out this soon.

For some reason I thought I had a few more weeks. Oops.

FluxWaveZ

Just out of curiosity was it mentioned in DR1 or 2 that the other characters have siblings or were they invented just for this game?
I remember Makoto having a sister obviously but I don't remember anyone else mentioning family except for Byakuya who had loads of siblings he had to compete with for his title.

Might want to play the game before knowing the answer to this. To give a brief answer, there are siblings in the game that I believe were not mentioned before, yes.

Roto13

No, but only one of those characters is anyone's sibling.

theecakee

Alright, here are the things that DR:AE spoils for DR2, so DR2 SPOILERS (and, maybe slightly by proxy, DR:AE ones):

The fact that Nagito is a "mastermind" type of person who sways between despair and hope, with an obsession for the latter and for Junko.
(Chapter 1 of DR2)
The fact that Junko still "lives" as an AI construct
(Finale of DR2)
The fact that the DR1 survivors now work for Future Foundation.
(Finale of DR2)
The fact that next time shit hits the fan, Makoto wants to have hands-on involvement.
(Finale of DR2)
There's some dude with long hair who seems to be on Junko's side.
(Not really a spoiler for anything)

I mean, I guess you can say it doesn't completely spoil DR2 if those are the spoilers (I haven't played DR:AE yet) but still why? Just play DR2 before this, you will enjoy them both more in the intended order they are to be played.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, I guess you can say it doesn't completely spoil DR2 if those are the spoilers (I haven't played DR:AE yet) but still why? Just play DR2 before this, you will enjoy them both more in the intended order they are to be played.

I agree, I would wholeheartedly recommend playing DR2 before DR:AE. There's no point doing the opposite unless you really care about playing the games in chronological order. But, again, those spoilers are far less significant for DR2 than they might sound. It's no DR1 to DR:AE type of deal; playing the latter before the former would actually ruin it.

GoldStarz

Minor Spoilers
Sayaka's 'relative' isn't a family member, but another member of her idol group who is present in the DR1 CG, Chihiro's father was mentioned as the person who started their interest in programming in DR1, Sakura's boyfriend Kenshiro is revealed to be still alive and is the person also a target, Kyoko's Grandfather is mentioned in DR0 as the person who trained as raised her (forget if it was mentioned in DR1) and appears in her Light Novel prequel, and I believe that Hina mentions her little brother at some point during DR1
any other 'relative' is invented for the game.

Oh and Byakuya's family is all dead as said in the DR1 final trial
his 'relative' is his butler.

Meia

Have the CE preordered and awaiting it's arrival. Didn't get the CE for the first game, and considering how much I loved the game after playing it, didn't make the same mistake for the 2nd game. Can't wait.

Going to be hard to marathon both games again before this comes, but I think I'll try. :p

Thoraxes

My copy already shipped.

Between this game, MSGV, Steins;Gate, and my upcoming 4-day weekend, I am excited as fuck for some good fun with no interruptions.

kurahador

rEroXSy.jpg

This game will be my next platinum.

Roto13

Hopefully mine too I love DR 1 and 2 platinumed both as qucik as I could. Haven't looked up trophy info but hopefully not too difficult.

I couldn't find some hidden stuff so I think I need a guide. Also I'm not really sure what some of the hidden trophies are....

Steel

Banned
Yeah, but that's the biggest spoiler for DR2 and it's only really a spoiler for the first chapter of that game.

I mean,
the fact that he's an Ultimate Despair(or whatever it's called) in DR: AE
might spoil the fact that
everyone in DR 2 is an ultimate despair. I'd imagine the connection would be easy to make once Mikan gets executed and gets her memory back.

Top Bottom